• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Anim07734

Anim07734: Organized Chaos

Still no idea what I'm doing with my life, beyond doing what I can to enjoy it and Nightcrawler is still the current focus.  DragonCon is now less than 3months away, so plenty of time as long as I keep working on it.

I learned a lot about what works and doesn't work for me last challenge when I dove into tracking and then all but quit halfway through.  Calorie/macro tracking, specifically, is too much work for me to do on a daily basis, but not tracking at all doesn't give me the results I want (I cut from 18.5%BF to 16%BF while gaining 3lb overall in ~4weeks, then stalled when I quit tracking daily).  Additionally, following a structured workout plan makes exercise a chore instead of playtime.  And I'm terrible about doing anything I see as a chore.  Finally, as soon as I become involved in a competition, it becomes my sole focus and anything that interferes gets marginalized.  Last challenge I joined the Pushup Quidditch PVP, and it was great,  but I quit doing a lot of other exercises so I could crank out more pushups each week, which is counter to my overall goals.

Challenge Themesong:  Halestorm - Freak Like Me

Challenge Goals:

1: Diet Guidelines (Con +2, Wis +2) Last challenge I tried counting calories and grams of protein, which was really helpful in keeping me on track, but ended up taking so much time and willpower that I started skipping workouts and cooking.  This challenge I'll continue tracking my weight, waist, and %BF weekly, then create and follow rules for the week and see how it affects the numbers.  Each week I'll tweak the rules to address problems, either in the results or my ability to follow the rules.  As an example, this week (pre-challenge) I'm attempting to get the equivalent of 1 chicken breast, 2 cups of veggies, and 1 large sweet potato a day with the rest of my diet filled in with healthy snacks.  And I'm allowed 2 "cheat" meals during the week when hanging out with friends.

2: Record Workouts (Str +2, Dex +2, Sta +2)  I tried following a set exercise plan and got bored in less than 3 weeks.  As soon as working out became a chore, I started coming up with excuses not to.  This challenge I'll be going back to the "whatever sounds fun at the time" workout plan, but focus on recording what the work out was and how well I did.  That way I'll have some kind of record to look back at.

3: Skill Work (Str +1, Dex +2)  Yet another goal last challenge where too little flexibility led to an unhappy Anim.  I like monkey hangs, but they still get boring after a month straight and a week of early mornings at work was all the excuse I needed to stop completely.  This challenge I'll loosen the chain a little and try to reduce the time requirement: work on a "skill" for at least 5min at least 5 times a week.  For the purpose of this goal, a "skill" is any exercise that relies on balance and/or coordination at least as much as strength.  Examples (and ones I'm currently trying) are crow pose, PK roll, and anything leading to a handstand, lever, or back lever.

Life: Nightcrawler Ready for Action (Cha +2)  I'm actually pretty far along on the costume, the only things left are the tail, reinforcing the sash, and the makeup.  But with only 3 months left to prep and at least one other costume to work on, I want to make sure this one is finished by the end of the challenge.  The tail in particular is being difficult, as I'm trying to make it move and figure out how to make it support my weight after wrapping around a branch/pole.  I've been doing trial and error building for the past couple months and the next plan is to build some sort of skeleton for the primary length to prevent the cable I'm using as the core from twisting.  Once that's accomplished, it should be a simple matter of reattaching the brake cables and tweaking placement/lengths to get the motion I want.

Starting Stats (as of 2June):

Height: 66in

Weight: 150lb

Waist: 31.5in

Body Fat: 15.8%

• Like 2

Woo!  Nightcrawler!  I am also working on a Nightcrawler costume!  I did one for a con last year, but am planning on making improvements and am basically redoing the entire thing!  You'll have to post pictures of the costume!  Your tail ideas intrigue me!  That would be AWESOME to get it to hold your weight!  Keep us posted!!

Decided to spend a little extra time trimming the beard this morning to get it right at a shorter length and forgot to take my weekly measurements, so I'll have to do that tomorrow.  We're doing an office beach party this afternoon, but I have a meeting in the middle of it, so not sure what my workout will be today.

Woo!  Nightcrawler!  I am also working on a Nightcrawler costume!  I did one for a con last year, but am planning on making improvements and am basically redoing the entire thing!  You'll have to post pictures of the costume!  Your tail ideas intrigue me!  That would be AWESOME to get it to hold your weight!  Keep us posted!!

I'm reusing the morphsuit and sash from last year, but completely redid the boots and gloves.  Got a pair of these for the boots and just added the red trim at the top.  Really comfortable and allow me to still climb and perch properly. (Last year the stuffed toes interfered.)

Still doing trial and error on the tail, but I think I have a good plan for how to make it move, just need to get the "gripping" end to work consistently.

Monday:

Lunch- Shrimp Boil (shrimp, potatoes, corn, and sausage)

Workout- 1/2 tabatas: pullups, jumping lunges, pushups

Skill Work- Crow Pose- 10sets, hold as long as possible, then rest remainder of 30s

Dinner- Baked egg with peppers, onion, and bacon (roughly 4.5 eggs and 2 strips of bacon), topped with 1/4cup cheddar; mozzarella stick

Dessert- Huge M&M cookie

notes- A friend brought the cookie for me over the weekend, so should have skipped it, or at least cut it in half.  Nightcrawler tail isn't cooperating; looks like I'll need to figure out how to build a spine of some sort around the core cable before it will support itself and not twist back on itself when I want it to bend.

Remembered to get my weekly stats this morning:

148.4lb; 32in waist; going to have to focus on cleaning up my diet again so I can start losing fat.  I'm hoping to get a run in before soccer practice, but probably won't have time to cook (even though I remembered to pull out porkchops for dinner).  We'll see how it goes; I've got another 2 servings of the egg bake in my fridge.

nice goals :)

looking forward to seeing the updates on the skill work (your close to a mirror to my stats) so I need to try my hand at these moves.

(like I must find out monkey hangs...less I disgrace the name...)

Nice work on the meal goals today. They look varied and healthy, sure to keep you sane and on target.

Tuesday:

Lunch- Papa Murphy's pizza, 3 slices; 2cup steamed veggies; 4 dark chocolate w/ almonds nuggets

Workout- trail run, 1.5mi in 11:50; break; PK roll into monkey runs (aka quadrupedal gallop) x4 (95m, 70m, 50m, 50m) walk remainder of 200m; break; soccer practice ~75min

Skill Work- PK rolls and monkey runs count

Dinner- sliced apple with almond butter; 2oz canned tuna; 2x large glass of milk

notes- managed to form a blister on the tip of my middle finger during the 3rd monkey run, which really slowed me down during the 4th.  Really long workout, didn't get home till after 7pm, then shower and laundry took what was left of my motivation, thus the piecemeal dinner.  Should have eaten egg bake, but it's not very appetizing to be honest.

looking forward to seeing the updates on the skill work (your close to a mirror to my stats) so I need to try my hand at these moves.

(like I must find out monkey hangs...less I disgrace the name...)

Monkey hangs are just dead hangs from a bar.  I'm still doing the 2-handed variant, but working towards 1-hand.

• Like 2

Wednesday:

Lunch- Egg bake; 2 mozzarella sticks; 2cup steamed veggies; 2 fruit cups; 4 dark chocolate nuggets

Skill Work- Hollow body holds 20s on 40s off, 6 sets (the point where a 20s hold was complete failure)

Workout- Hollow body hold (above); decline pike pushups, max set x4, 2min rest; pullups, same setup

Dinner- Pork chop; medium sweet potato; baked veggie mix (all cooked in the same pan with salt, pepper, cinnamon, and a little red pepper)

notes- forgot the cooldown on my workout and then forgot to prep lunch for today.  Also my living room floor is now full of legos as I plan out how to build my new computer case.

• Like 1

Thursday:

Lunch- Charlie's Chicken Philly, no mayo, with fries

Workout- trail run, 1.5mi in 12:39; break; walking PK rolls (~6steps between rolls) 50m x3 with 50m walk, running PK rolls 50m x3 with 50m walk; break; 5-6min monkey hang practice; 50m walking lunges with 50m walk x2 (10s breaks as necessary, 2 in first set, 4 in second)

Dinner- 8pc sushi, 4pc sashimi; mozzarella stick; large publix cookie; glass of milk

notes- dinner was supposed to be cleaner to help make up for not packing a lunch, but instead I had a giant cookie...  At least I no longer have any to tempt me.  I'm really starting to like the PK rolls, but am coming to realize more and more that if you don't commit, things are going to go wrong.  Thus the running PK rolls (I had been planning to just practice walking ones, but running was actually easier now that I know the technique).

• Like 2

Friday:

Breakfast- 1 fruit cup

Lunch- gyro platter (meat with flatbread and tzatziki) with fries

Workout- none (DOMS, how I hate you)

Dinner- apple with almond butter, 2 mozzarella sticks, handful of almonds, 1 fruit cup

notes- walking lunges were harder on my legs than expected, going to have to work them into my plan more often.

Saturday:

Lunch- porkchop, baked sweet potato, 1 dark chocolate nugget

Snack- tortilla chips (~2servings)

Dinner- TBD, going to an asian place with friends, followed by drinking and karaoke

notes- meant to do a workout this morning, but ended up spending all the time cleaning house so I'd have space.

Interesting that you find running parkour rolls easier. Maybe it is too easy to be tentative and cautious if you do it from a walk

Interesting that you find running parkour rolls easier. Maybe it is too easy to be tentative and cautious if you do it from a walk

That's it exactly.  I learned the technique by doing kneeling, standing, and walking PK rolls, but it's too easy to not commit fully, and that's when things go wrong.

Saturday (continued):

Dinner- cheese wontons; fried rice with assorted meat (chicken, pork, beef, and shrimp)

Party- 3 mixed drinks, 4 shots; waffle house hashbrowns with ham and cheese; small OJ

Sunday:

Lunch- hashbrowns; biscuits and gravy; sausage; bacon; crab; peach cobbler

Workout- beach run 20:13 (unknown distance, but further than last time)

Skill work- hollow body holds, rest remainder of 60s (30s, 30s, 23s, 20s, 30s)

Dinner- veggie slurry (banana, strawberry, kale, spinach, carrots, almond butter, milk)

Weekly assessment:

150.2lb; 31.75in waist

Forgot to formally decide diet rules for this week, so just had a sort of "do better than last week" goal.  Seems to have worked, but I'm going to need to pay more attention to my dinners.

Got all my workouts recorded, but had to scramble to get the 5th skill session sunday night.

Got some PVC pipe to try making into spine segments for the tail, but main focus this week has been building my new computer and getting it settled;  not even close to finishing the lego castle I'm building to be the case.

Overall- not a bad week, but there's plenty of work still to be done.

• Like 1

Monday:

Lunch- 1/2 pork chop; 1/2 large sweet potato; 2cup steamed veggies; 2 fruit cups; 2 mozzarella sticks; 4 dark chocolate nuggets

Workout- Pistol squats, 2per leg x4; wall handstand, max hold, rest remainder of minute, x5; pullups, max set x4; crow pose, max hold, rest remainder of minute

Skill Work- see above

Dinner- Apple with almond butter; 2 mozzarella sticks

notes- forgot to write down time/reps for my workout last night, then got caught up playing with legos (building my computer case) and lost track of time.  I had a crockpot stew cooked, but wasn't dealing with it at 8:30 when I realized I still needed to eat and shower.

Tuesday:

Lunch- ham/turkey/cheese/lettuce in a white wrap x1.5; ~3 servings of baby carrots; 2 fruit cups; 2 mozzarella sticks; 2 dark chocolate nuggets

notes- started work an hour early this morning and spent most of the day outside in the sun, I'm still hoping to go running after work and there's a soccer practice tonight, but we'll see how I'm feeling.  Dinner should be stew with rice.

And since I forgot to state it yesterday: Diet goal for this week is same as last week (meat and potato daily, max of 2 cheat meals) plus a veggie with every meal, unless I actually have breakfast at some point.  I've already missed this on dinner last night, so I can't skip again.

• Like 1

Tuesday (continued):

Ended up leaving work early-ish (after starting early and not getting a lunch break) to take a nap before soccer practice.

Workout- soccer practice/scrimmage ~90min

Dinner- chicken/veggie/tomato stew with rice and cheese (crockpots are amazing); 1.5 large glasses of milk

notes- managed to take cleats to the shin, get my foot stepped on, stub my big toe, and start a blister on my little toe... All on the right foot.  It's pretty sore this morning, but not enough to stop me from working out.  Not sure if I want to make up my run or do bodyweight work tonight, so I'll let the weather decide.

Wednesday:

Lunch- ham/turkey/cheese/lettuce in a white wrap x1.5; ~3 servings of baby carrots; 2 fruit cups; 2 mozzarella sticks; 2 dark chocolate nuggets

Workout- Circuit of 5 pullups, 10 lunges (each leg), 10 pike pushups, x5

skill work- crow pose, max hold, rest remainder of 60s, x5

dinner- chicken/veggie/tomato stew with cheese; apple with almond butter

• Like 1

Thursday:

Lunch- Grouper Parmesan; safron rice; steamed zuccini and squash; 4 small hushpuppies with strawberry butter

Workout- trail run, 1.5mi in 11:59

Skill Work- Front tuck lever practice, 5min; 50m running PK rolls, 50m walk x2

Dinner- 2 slices Papa Murphy's 5 Meat stuffed pizza

Dessert- small glass of milk

notes- My shoulder has been sore, but I'm not sure what caused it.  Since its only the right, I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong on the PK rolls (plus that's when it started back up yesterday, thus only 2 sets).  Going to give it a couple days rest, then see about working on my form at slower speeds again.  Would have liked a longer workout, but they're doing construction near the trail/track I use and it smelled like chemicals.  No excuse on dinner, I meant to steam some veggies to go with the pizza and just didn't.  So now I'm out of cheat meals for the week, going to have to pay more attention this week end, but that's not really a bad thing

• Like 1

Kind of dropped off the radar for a bit and didn't track the rest of last week.  There was a 20min beach run on Sunday, but that's all I remember now.

Picking back up with this week:

146lb, 32in waist

Not sure what's happening here, but something's not working.  Time to take a step back and simplify things.  Diet rules for this week are: no snacks, no more than 2 cheat meals; eat healthy, but don't stress over it (I need the willpower for other things).

Monday: Leftovers had spoiled, so I had a cheat meal for lunch.  Workout was hourly max sets of pullups (10/8/8/8/8)

Tuesday: Meals went fine.  Workout was 3 max sets of pullups with 2min rest, 1.5mi trail run in 11:47, then ~80min soccer practice.

Wednesday: Meals went fine, but came home from work so hungry I had dinner early and didn't get my workout.  5 min handstand practice for skill work.

Planning to have a small breakfast tomorrow to make getting through the day easier; we'll see how things go.

• Like 1

I still exist, promise, just lost motivation to post consistently...

Stats for the week:

146lb, 31.5in waist

I'm a little leery after yoyoing for the past month, so we'll have to see what happens next week.

Ended up with 3 cheat meals for the week and didn't record any workouts.  I remember running thursday followed by ~10min handstand practice and soccer friday morning.  Did ~5min of handstand practice yesterday while waiting around, then helped a friend move and managed to squeeze in a beach run before they closed for the night.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are doing good even if you don't feel like posting about it often

Part of the reason for posting so often was because I don't track things anywhere else.  Going to have to post more or come up with somewhere else to record what I'm doing.

OOO beach run sounds fun!

They are!  It's mentally and physically engaging, so I'll actually do distance runs on the beach when everything else just bores me into stopping.

This week's going pretty well, even if I did skip my workout yesterday to watch World Cup.  But since everyone else is going out of town for the holiday, I'll have plenty of time to make it up.  Contemplating an "explosive" themed GtG style workout for the 4th, so far I've got jumping lunges and clapping pushups, if anyone has suggestions.  I'd like something pulling, but may just go with pullups (cause they're fun).

Trail run Monday took 12:25, partly because it was ~100 with heat index and partly because my music died a minute in.  Then did a little over an hour of soccer practice/scrimmage.

Way behind on skill work, which is disappointing because I'm liking handstand practice.  I'm still not particularly comfortable inverted, but when I relax and go with it, I feel much better afterwards.  Going to have to work that in tonight...