• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

AnnaBJoyful

[AnnaBJoyful] Just around the river bend!

What's around the river bend?

This is my second challenge, and my first as a Swing-Dance-Ninja-Assassin.  For those who don’t know me, I’m a 25 year old with a desk job and a passion for lindy hop and all other swing dances.  

AVS Strictly

My Level 50 is:
  • To wear a size 4 in pants (currently a size 8)
  • To be able to dance all night long and never have to turn someone down because I’m too tired
  • To be a recreational whitewater paddler

For my first challenge, I focused on maintaining a healthy sleep schedule, exercising 3-4 times a week, and eating mostly paleo but always with a caloric deficit.  I feel like I stayed on target really well despite some stressful days and a business trip near the end, so I’m excited to step it up a bit!  But before I jump into that, I want to recap some lessons learned:

1. My digestive system does not thrive on paleo dieting.  I wish there was a simple solution to figuring out the perfect diet for me, but as far as I can tell, my system likes to function with at least a little bit of dairy and bread. I’m going to be experimenting with other diet habits this time around.
  2. Sleep schedules are awesome, and I feel really comfortable that my mind and body recognize the importance of keeping a 10:30 bedtime and 6:30 rise time.  I don’t think this is enough of a challenge any more to warrant a mission.  Goal accomplished!
  3. My weight on a scale means nothing.  During the last challenge I gained 2 lbs but lost an inch off my hips. The only measurements I’ll be focusing on are the ones I get from the tape measure and the calipers.
  4. I love routine! I love the feeling of getting up in the morning and working out before work! I love the feeling of jogging after a good ab workout – so tight!  Yeah, happy things!

I also venture into whitewater rafting and kayaking in the summer months.  For this challenge, I'm letting the river guide me! The week after this challenge ends I’ll be taking a combined dancing/whitewater vacation (WOOT!).  It will be my first time on a river in a hard boat (I've just done single-person rafts in the past),  so I want to use this challenge to get me mentally and physically prepared for that!

5554_CC5QM_Whitewater_Kayaking_on_Fish_C

Mission 1:
Exercise 4x per week - I'll be continuing my mix of walk/jog intervals in my neighborhood, pilates for dancers exercises, and aerobics with light weights.  I'll be focusing a lot on core strength to help with dancing and also rolling my kayak

Mission 2:
Diet - eat a caloric deficit daily, and drink lots of water! I use a fitbit one to record my calorie burn and sync it with MyFitnessPal to record my calorie intake.  The water is a major challenge for me, so I'm going to start with a goal of 2 - 24oz bottles for weeks 1 and 2, and by week 3 I want to be drinking 3 - 24oz bottles of water a day.

Mission 3:
Devotion - have 30 minutes of devotion time 7 days a week.  My spiritual health is just as important as my physical health!  I've promised myself for years that I would create a habit of spending time with God as soon as I got a handle on my physical habits.  It's time.

Side quest:

Take kayaking courses.  Guys.  This is so intimidating.  As a child, I HATED getting my face wet, and growing up I would never go underwater without goggles. I hate the idea of being upside down, underwater, with a boat on top of me.  You might be wondering, "so why the heck do you want to be a kayaker?!" Well, I love the river, I love the mountains, I love the thrill of navigating the rapids - it's exhilarating and relaxing and beautiful.  I just have to get over my fear of being underwater in frigid rushing water. So, I'll be taking a roll clinic so I can learn how to roll myself out of the water.  I signed up today. It happens in 11 days. I'm not terrified, but it's going to be tough.  I'll keep you updated. 

So here we go: a new challenge, a new journey!  Let's do this thing!

(For the record, the kayaker in the picture is not me - but it's exactly the sort of thing I want to do! But that is me in the brown skirt in the dancing picture!)
  • Like 2

Awesome challenge. I love swing dancing. We have some regular dancers in the guild. I have kayak on a calm lake and in the calm part of the Sound, but rough water intimidates me, precisely because of the roll, and fear of it. Good for you for challenging yourself. A class will teach you how to do it, and it seems like that should really help you conquer the fear. And spending 30 minutes a day in devotions will change your life in a great way. After joining NF, I finally developed the habit of regular devotions, and the daily reminder of God's love has been life changing for me.

• Like 1

Once again I'll be following for the dancing inspiration :).  I love your kayaking quest, too.  Good luck with all of your goals!

• Like 1

Sunday, 6/8

1) Exercise - Week 1 progress 1/4

Walked my neighborhood - still feeling a bit under the weather from being sick, so I'm easing back into things.  

2) Diet 

1,350 calories eaten, 2,083 calories burned - Week 1 progress 1/7

Water bottles 2/2 - Week 1 progress 1/7

3) Devotion - Week 1 progress 1/7

Accomplished!

Also, I measured myself to mark my starting point for this challenge:

Waist: 27"

Hips: 40"

Thighs: 24"

• Like 2

Monday, 6/9

1) Exercise - Week 1 progress 1/4

None today

2) Diet 

1,290 calories eaten, 1,954 calories burned - Week 1 progress 2/7

Water bottles 2/2 - Week 1 progress 2/7

3) Devotion - Week 1 progress 2/7

Accomplished!

• Like 1

Tuesday, 6/10

1) Exercise - Week 1 progress 2/4

Pilates for dancers exercises

2) Diet 

1,380 calories eaten, 1,667 calories burned - Week 1 progress 3/7

Water bottles 2/2 - Week 1 progress 3/7

3) Devotion - Week 1 progress 3/7

Done :)

• Like 1

Ok, been a busy couple of days, time to catch up!

Wednesday, 6/11

1) Exercise - Week 1 progress 2/4
None

2) Diet 
1,390 calories eaten, 1,597 calories burned - Week 1 progress 4/7
Water bottles 2/2 - Week 1 progress 4/7

3) Devotion - Week 1 progress 4/7
Done 

Thursday, 6/12

None

2) Diet 
1,833 calories eaten, 1,949 calories burned - Week 1 progress 5/7
Water bottles .5/2 - Week 1 progress 4/7

3) Devotion - Week 1 progress 5/7
Completed!

So not great, but actually not as bad as I thought it would be.  Between Tuesday morning and 8:00 on Thursday, I feel like I've been running from one thing to the next, to the next, and I've eaten out a lot, have been sleeping less, etc.  I finished writing a report, and by the time I got home I had just enough brain power left to wash dishes and sit on my couch to watch a couple of old episodes of Chuck.  Good to know I haven't actually been that bad.  

Also, bonus, I've made my bed every day this week! (come on guys, don't judge....it's the little thigs!)

T-2 days until kayak roll day!

• Like 1

Also, bonus, I've made my bed every day this week! (come on guys, don't judge....it's the little thigs!)

I think I've made my bed about twice - this year.  So color me impressed! :)

• Like 1

I think I've made my bed about twice - this year.  So color me impressed! :)

It usually seems so unnecessary, but I have to say, there really is something satisfying about the 1 minute it takes to pile the pillows back on in the morning and also the moment of pulling back the covers at bedtime. 

GUYS GUYS GUYS! I did it!! I spent the whole day at the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, NC.  First off, this place is SO COOL. If you're ever around Charlotte and have an interest in whitewater, climbing, biking, hiking, adventure courses, or zipline, check it out.

I took two classes; in the morning I had a kayak sampler, in which I discovered that I am excellent at ending up upside down.  I learned how to wet exit, do some ferrying, catch an eddy, and overall gained confidence working with the boat.  In the afternoon I took my roll clinic, and I actually rolled! In calmer water, my instructor said my roll was beautiful.  I have a tendency to freak out in rougher currents, and I did have a moment of panic, but I got back in my boat and rolled again...and again...and again.

And bonus woot: I was able to load my kayak on top of my car, strap it down, and successfully transport it by myself, which, as a very independent female, I'm super proud of.

Challenge 2 Side Quest: ACCOMPLISHED

• Like 1

Friday, 6/13

None - let my self sleep in a bit after a late night at work; worked late again, which means no time for exercise

2) Diet 

1,355 calories eaten, 1,950 calories burned - Week 1 progress 6/7

Water bottles .5/2 - Week 1 progress 4/7

3) Devotion - Week 1 progress 5/7

Not today - totally focused on getting done with the work I had to do before the weekend 

Saturday, 6/14

1) Exercise - Week 1 progress 3/4

Walk/jog intervals around my neighborhood, plus yard work and a couple of hours of social dancing

2) Diet 

1,866 calories eaten, 2,403 calories burned - Week 1 progress 6/7

Water bottles 3/2 - Week 1 progress 5/7

3) Devotion - Week 1 progress 6/7

Done!

• Like 1

Week 1 Summary:

1) Exercise - Week 1= 3/4

2) Diet 
Caloric Deficit - Week 1 = 6/7
Drink more water - Week 1 = 5/7

3) Devotion - Week 1 = 6/7

There's definitely room for improvement, but considering the crazy work week I've had, I'll take it!  One week down!
  • Like 1

GUYS GUYS GUYS! I did it!! I spent the whole day at the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, NC.  First off, this place is SO COOL. If you're ever around Charlotte and have an interest in whitewater, climbing, biking, hiking, adventure courses, or zipline, check it out.

I took two classes; in the morning I had a kayak sampler, in which I discovered that I am excellent at ending up upside down.  I learned how to wet exit, do some ferrying, catch an eddy, and overall gained confidence working with the boat.  In the afternoon I took my roll clinic, and I actually rolled! In calmer water, my instructor said my roll was beautiful.  I have a tendency to freak out in rougher currents, and I did have a moment of panic, but I got back in my boat and rolled again...and again...and again.

And bonus woot: I was able to load my kayak on top of my car, strap it down, and successfully transport it by myself, which, as a very independent female, I'm super proud of.

Challenge 2 Side Quest: ACCOMPLISHED

This is awesome! Glad you had fun and impressed how you were able to regain control after a panic moment and work through it and get the roll down. True assassin stuff!

• Like 1

Sunday, 6/15

1) Exercise - Week 2 progress 1/4

Day of kayak lessons and practice

2) Diet 

2,025 calories eaten, 2,490 calories burned - Week 2 progress 1/7

Water bottles 2/2 - Week 1 progress 1/7

3) Devotion - Week 1 progress 1/7

Completed!

• Like 1

Monday, 6/16

1) Exercise - Week 2 progress 1/4

None-recovering from kayaking  

2) Diet 

1,295 calories eaten, 1,636 calories burned - Week 2 progress 2/7

Water bottles 1/2 - Week 2 progress 1/7

3) Devotion - Week 1 progress 2/7

Check!

*Warning* Tuesday was an incredibly stressful day and I almost declared a challenge break because I was so overwhelmed with everything.  I'm hosting family this weekend (6 guests, including a little niece and a little nephew), and I just found out on Monday that they were coming.  My AC has been out for the past month and I wasn't sure when it was going to be fixed (I'll spare you the details, but there was a lot of drama).  Parents are arriving tomorrow. On top of all this I had a report deadline that caused me to stay at the office until 8:00 last night.  Thankfully by the end of yesterday the AC problem was finally addressed (hallelujah!) and the report is now out of my hands, so my heart rate is coming back down and my head is less of a carousel.  Whew. Thankfully I had several friends praying for me and helping me make it through the day, and getting the house ready for guests seems much more manageable now that I have AC.

Tuesday, 6/17

None 

2) Diet 

1,245 calories eaten, 1,663 calories burned - Week 2 progress 3/7

3) Devotion - Week 2 progress 2/7

Not today 

• Like 1

Wednesday, 6/18

None 

2) Diet 

1,365 calories eaten, 1,912 calories burned - Week 2 progress 4/7

Water bottles 0/2 - Week 2 progress 1/7

Not today 

Thursday, 6/19

None 

2) Diet 

1,473 calories eaten, 1,816 calories burned - Week 2 progress 5/7

Completed!

• Like 1

Week 2 has been rough.  Due to my unexpected house guests, every spare moment when I wasn't working, eating, or sleeping, I have been cleaning and preparing for family to arrive.  Fortunately I have had the presence of mind to keep myself on track with my calories, but there just hasn't been time for working out, and drinking water is a complete afterthought.  

Gonna get back at it for Week 3, and in the meantime will have fun enjoying my family this weekend :)

Fortunately I have had the presence of mind to keep myself on track with my calories, but there just hasn't been time for working out, and drinking water is a complete afterthought.  

Diet control can go a long way - so good job on keeping track.  Chalk the rest up as a recovery week and get back on the Consistency Horse asap.

Ok, crazy week 2 is finally over. Whew. Two reports at work, unexpectedly preparing for family to visit, dealing with a broken air conditioner, entertaining family, and then dealing with burst pipes (while family is still visiting - yay).  All I can say is that I survived, and last night after work I parked myself on the couch, breathed deeply, relished the quiet and the fact that everything was working properly, and thanked God that my mom is the kind of person who refuses to leave a mess when she goes on vacation.

Now time to catch up!

Friday, 6/20

None 

2) Diet 

1,543 calories eaten, 1,855 calories burned - Week 2 progress 6/7

None

Saturday, 6/21

1) Exercise - Week 2 progress 2/4

Hiking with dad, brother, and nephew