This is a new group, and I am open to suggestions - so pipe up and let me know how this group can be made better so that YOU can stick with the challenge and overcome the barriers that hold you back.

This group is for people who suffer from depression in all its forms.  Seasonal affective disorder.  Clinical depression.  The "blues".  Or as my friend Lycan Thom calls it - The Black Dog.  I always thought that I was alone .... or relatively rare .... in suffering from SAD while trying to workout and eat right.  And then when I became an ambassador and started seeing so many new people posting about how depression kept them from making changes in their lives, I decided to try making an accountability group for those of us who suffer with depression.

Depression ......

It's a chemical imbalance in the brain that can leave sufferers barely able to function in their daily lives let alone find the energy to make significant life changes.  BUT we CAN make progress.  We CAN learn to recognize when the dog has us by the nape of the neck ... or even anticipate an attack before it hits ..... and we CAN make changes that will lessen it's negative influence over our lives.

We CAN tame the beast and become its master.  Together.

So, if you want support from people who are going through similar struggles - this is the place.  I'm no expert on the subject - just a fellow sufferer who has figured out some tricks to keep that ol' puppy at heel most of the time. 

If you join this group, I'll ask that you check up on fellow members at least weekly.  For some people in the southern hemisphere, this is winter, and they need us to help lighten their days big time.  I will ALSO have a weekly topic for us to think and post about - these are all optional.  Respond and share if you feel comfortable in doing so, but don't feel that you must join in that part of the discussion.

AND - if you join, ask for help when you need it!!  That's often one of the hardest things for us to do - to recognize when we're slipping and need a hand.  Practice asking here.

So, sign up on the accountabilities spreadsheet and post here with a link to your challenge thread if you are "in"!!! 

I'll create a roster of people and their thread links.

I will also make a placeholder post for each week's discussion topic and update those as the challenge progresses.

• Like 4

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Black Dog Tamers

If this is not complete ... or if I have people in the wrong category, please let me know!!  Ideally, the BDT members should check up on each other's threads each week - I'll be subbing each of your threads and checking in as often as possible!!!

Subgroup 1:

Chris-Tien Jinn: Shanghaied!

Sienna: The Map

ShadowLion: ShadowLion Responds to the Call

Lycan Thom: Learns to Run

Sirona: Building New Habits

MaddieHatter: Up the Rabbit Hole

Subgroup 2:

Varelse: The Sage Back to Basics

Lady Senie: Mission Possible 02 - Realization

Kobnach: Kobnach Defeats Depression

Mel_issa: Quest to start being Awesome

ChristArtist: Digs Deep for 6 Weeks

Trolleybags:Heads to the Prancing Pony

Subgroup 3:

drc242:  Raise the Difficulty to Legendary

Teros: Flawless Victory

Scorpia: Escapes the Dungeon

CylonN6: Has a Stick

Candace: Improves Health Despite Depression

Honorary Members and Cheering Squad:

Beaucastle

Jakkals

FitBi12

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

Week 1 Discussion Prompt

Welcome to the Black Dog Tamers Club!!!  This first week, we will get to know one another and learn a little bit about the type of Black Dog that each of us will be taming.  Remember, share ONLY what you are comfortable exchanging with supportive strangers!!  You do not need to answer all questions or go into more detail than you want, even if fellow Tamers ask followup questions.  We’re trying to be helpful, not snoopy!!

So first, tell us a little bit about yourself.  Whatever you want us to know that relates to your NF experience.  You don’t have to repeat what you already said in your challenge thread.

Then, take the time to go out to fellow Tamers’ threads and read and respond to their posts.  I do recommend following (“subbingâ€) everyone’s threads so that it is easy to check up on each other frequently.  

Finally, tell us about your Black Dog.  What species or breed is it? Is it Seasonal Affective Disorder, Manic/Depression, Bipolar Disorder, (Social) Anxiety, Agoraphobia, or good old fashioned Depression?  We’ll go more in depth into characteristics of it, but tell us how big the beast is.  Does it take over your whole house (i.e. life) or is it a more manageable pocket poodle type dog?

Some sort of Jedi .....

Week 2

Wow.  Thank you all for introducing us to your beastie.  Some of us have really nasty creatures to learn to control, and it will take a lot of time and effort to minimize the damage they can do in our lives.

Since we have such a wide variety, this group’s initial name might not be accurate.  A couple of alternatives have been suggested.  So this week, let us know which of these options YOU think you’d prefer:

• Black Dog Tamers

• Black Hound Tamers

• Black Beast Tamers

Many of you already did this part while you introduced your Black Dog, but for those of us who didn’t, this week review for us the characteristics of your beast, its behavior, and the impact it has on your life.  Does it trap you in bed for days?  Does it make you snap at friends and family?  Does it make you eat too much …. or too little?  When you’re symptomatic, what does that look like??

Some sort of Jedi .....

Week 3 Discussion Topic

I think I will keep the name as is.  Next challenge, if there is enough interest, I think we should have two groups.  For people who are already struggling, a large group is just one more brick in the wall. 

THIS WEEK I want to do something different.

Write about what you enjoy - and do your best to find time to do it.  And really work at embracing it, wallow in enjoyment of it, and share with the group.

adam-jones-do-more-of-what-makes-you-hap

Why???

Because many people who suffer from depression really struggle with enjoyment.  Even when good things happen or are going to happen, we don't experience the pleasure nearly as deeply as we experience the pain of the sad things that happen to us.  We're always living live modulated DOWN an octave. 

We worry that happiness won't last.  And it won't, but then happiness never lasts for ANYONE.  We're just more deeply affected by this than people who don't suffer from the disease. 

We worry that bad things will happen.  And they will!!  But for the average person, bad things happen and they get over it fairly quickly.  We feel the pain and disappointment longer - and we fear that it will come back.

Both of my parents suffer(ed) from depression and alcoholism.  Whenever something good happened, and I was happy, I was actually scolded.  As a teen, my parents were convinced I was on drugs when I came home from an event that I'd enjoyed.  The message I got from them was that people shouldn't be happy.  Now, I have to fight that early conditioning. 

So, this week, I'm inviting all of us to work on enjoying something.  Fully.  Completely.  Even if it is small.  Find it.  Do it.  Report back. 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

Week 4 Topic & Activity

Ok, last week's topic was about a quick fix - finding something that you like to do .... and then doing it.  Part of dealing with depression is learning to use different techniques to indirectly manage the behavior of the BLACK DOG.  They usually work by increasing levels of various chemicals in the brain - endorphins, serotonin, and oxytocin - that make us feel and function better.  Engaging in activities that we really like can help lessen the symptoms and even start a positive cycle to get us out of an episode.  So, don't discount the value of knitting or painting or hugging your kids or even brushing the damn lovely dog.  Little things done consistently can shape the behavior of your Black Dog (and real dogs as well!).

By the way, exercise is one of the BEST tools for improving the behavior of your BD.  Endorphins. 

THIS WEEK - marks the real beginning of figuring out what you are going to do to start controlling the beast.  And it deals first with the people around you.

1) let's start on a positive note - who is your support network??  Who can help you as you work on understanding and taming the BD.  Who can help you tame it?  The Black Dog, like all dogs, lives in an environment of many people - not just you.  What other people do around you can have a huge influence on your depression.  So who are your helpers???  Who can you talk to?  You can you rely upon to tell you that you're becoming symptomatic, if you don't notice?  Who can remind you to take your medicine or employ your management strategies?  Who can listen when you're having a bad day?

If you don't have anyone (other than us), where could you look for assistance??  One of the things I've noticed about people who suffer from depression is that we tend to draw inward when we're having an episode.  And we're often not all that social even on the best days.  Your challenge this week is to work on expanding your social bubble. 

2) and then the flip side - who encourages your Black Dog to break training and misbehave?  We all have them.  People who make the situation worse.  Sometimes intentionally and sometimes not.  Who are they and what do they do.  And then - very important - what could you do to avoid them or lessen their impact???

This is not an easy week - there's some challenging thinking in there. 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

Week 5 Discussion Topic

Ok then.  It's been pretty quiet around here, which is OK.  The point of the accountability groups is to make sure that we're checking up on each other.  So, this week TRY to stop by at least 3 other people's threads and encourage them in their challenge and journey.  Even if you're not feeling perky, you might find that the act of cheering someone else on will help you too. 

encourage

Also, this week, think about what QUICK FIXES you can use to interrupt the beginning of an episode.  Like reminding a misbehaving dog, part of the trick is to catch a bad trend just as it is getting started.  Then, it can't gain speed and get increasingly worse. Since we all tend to have that sense of spiraling down into depression .... what can you do to pull out of the whirlpool?  Anything??

One quick hint:

Food-is-the-most-abused-anxiety-drug-and
  • Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

Week 6!!!!!!

Hard to believe that we are already pulling into the final stretch.  Congrats to you all for making it this far.

This week is a time to start planning the transition and thinking ahead to the next challenge.  To finish strong and make necessary adjustments for the next effort. 

So, this week, I have two things for us to consider.

1) What LONG TERM changes, plans, preparation do you need to do to manage the beast?  How do you leash the hound, dog, or monster and live with it??  Steve writes about creating your batcave.  This is a similar idea.  What can you do to your environment, your routine, your friendship networks that will make it easier for you to manage every day, even when the hell hound is acting up?? 

TheLongAndWindingRoad.jpg

AND .....

2) I see a real continuing need for this group.  As I wander around the forums, I find more people who can benefit from a group that understands how hard it can be to find the energy to make changes during an episode.  BUT, the group can quickly get to be too big to make sure that everyone gets regular encouragement. 

I think the subgroups ideas has helped, yes???

So, I'm looking for 1 to 4 people who would be willing to serve as leaders of the subgroups.  Just holler if you're willing.  You don't need to be a veteran here or currently suffering from depression to help out.  If you know what it's like to have been depressed, you can help others get through it. 

I will still be here!!!  But with our impending ... or imploding ..... move, I might have days where internet access is difficult to get.  If I have a few people who can check on 6 others every few days, we'll be golden. 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

I'm in and will be telling others. This is such an important topic and you've come up with a great way to address it. Thank you.

ShadowLion Responds to the Call

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

gallery_17054_1166_15491.jpg

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I am here. Ready to help others keep the Black Dog off their backs. 

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

I'm specifically focussed on depression this challenge - but also overcommitted, and the depression tends to result in me avoiding social contact - i.e. I practically fell out of my accountability group last challenge, after my current bout of black-dog-syndrome set in.

This group seems like a really great idea. But I'm already in Renaissance Rebels, and following RPG fanatics, so something's sure to give if I try to be regular here. *sigh*

• Like 2

Level 6 Dark Elf Ranger

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 16 | CON 10 | WIS 13 | CHA 6

Current Challenge  Battle Log   Past: 5 4 3 2 1 0.1

I'm specifically focussed on depression this challenge - but also overcommitted, and the depression tends to result in me avoiding social contact - i.e. I practically fell out of my accountability group last challenge, after my current bout of black-dog-syndrome set in.

This group seems like a really great idea. But I'm already in Renaissance Rebels, and following RPG fanatics, so something's sure to give if I try to be regular here. *sigh*

I would encourage you to do what will do the most for your main quest. As much as we like having you in the RenRebs, I suspect this group will do more for you this time. Why don't you do what VibrantNotions did last challenge (she had the same overcommitment issue) and be on the "honorary member" list? That way you have the freedom to just swing by and say "Hi" now and again, but won't feel guilty about gaps in your activity. Might be the best of both worlds.

Beat back the black dog now and hopefully you'll have more energy for more things next time.

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

So, Shadow had stopped by my daily battle log and mentioned this specific accountabilibuddies. I suffer from depression and anxiety (induced and social) but even when I was down this week and sent out a shout out within my status what was happening, others showed up with many virtual hugs... and damn was it nice. So, I have signed up here, cause just having an open ear and virtual hug makes that little difference.

Up The Rabbit Hole We Go

• Like 3

I'm here (after this post, I'll sign up).

I've been dealing with depression a lot of time. The last time I've been diagnosed with it was on October 2012, and it seems I also have OCPD and AvPD. Everything broke out after a treatment with anxiolytics. I've been taking different kinds of meds until the end of the past month that I've decided progressively cutting on them (I don't take it anymore). Maybe I tell you something more forwards, but now I don't have to make this presentation too long. A bit of colour: I've found stoicism very helpful lately.

Oh, I almost forgot, my challenge: [Varelse] The Sage back to basics

• Like 2

Level 4

10 WIS | 2 STR | 2 STA | 2 CON | 5 CHA | 1 DEX

battle logepic quest

The Stoic Path of Virtue: #1 | #2 | #3

Current challenge: Don't break the challenge

I will be lurking around here as well.

And I've got a stick.

a2NXEze_700b.jpg

YESSS on sticks!

(Disclaimer here - I am not a therapist and the following is just one thing that made a big difference for me)

Speaking of sticks - For many of us there is a buried anger component to our depression and anxiety, it can be incredibly helpful to act this out (in a safe environment, please). Take a stick to a heavy bag or other suitable inanimate object and whale the tar out of it. One, it's a great workout, and two, it can get rid of a lot of pent up stuff. Early on, when I was dealing with a whole boatload of crap - depression and PTSD with flashbacks and suicidal thoughts, the black dog on steroids - I could hardly bring myself to move, but man, it released a lot of energy when I could finally take symbolic action on behalf of my younger self.

For a whole variety of reasons, it can be really hard to direct one's negative feelings outward, but it stops the feedback loop of self-destructive thoughts and rumination. Just use a little sense and some smart preparation - know your limiits and maybe have a trusted friend on call or nearby in case the feelings get too intense. It's hard, but it can be incredibly healing.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I'm here (after this post, I'll sign up).

I've been dealing with depression a lot of time. The last time I've been diagnosed with it was on October 2012, and it seems I also have OCPD and AvPD. Everything broke out after a treatment with anxiolytics. I've been taking different kinds of meds until the end of the past month that I've decided progressively cutting on them (I don't take it anymore). Maybe I tell you something more forwards, but now I don't have to make this presentation too long. A bit of colour: I've found stoicism very helpful lately.

Oh, I almost forgot, my challenge: [Varelse] The Sage back to basics

Hey, Varelse. Another big fan of stoicism here. It isn't what most people think it is. Incredibly helpful for seeing the world clearly and learning how to deal with the dog.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Hey, Varelse. Another big fan of stoicism here. It isn't what most people think it is. Incredibly helpful for seeing the world clearly and learning how to deal with the dog.

If some any of you are interested, there are (at least) one courses of practical stoicism very interesting (it has been very helpful to me... I don't know if I could give up the pills without its learnings) and with a lot of good information: Modern Stoicism.

• Like 4

Level 4

10 WIS | 2 STR | 2 STA | 2 CON | 5 CHA | 1 DEX

battle logepic quest

The Stoic Path of Virtue: #1 | #2 | #3

Current challenge: Don't break the challenge

I have also followed Stoic philosophy for a while to even out the ups and downs of life. 

I have found a very good introduction to be A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy by William B. Irvine.

• Like 3

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Jakkals...  THAT was EPIC.  I too have a whole boat load of sticks.  I'm not a therapist or medical professional, but I know how hard it is some days to just keep moving.  I may not be able to completely grasp the enormity of what's going on but I can understand that its just shy of impossible... and like any number of us on here, I would be happy to hand you a stick so you could keep swinging today.  tomorrow..  whenever.

• Like 1

I hope it's not too late to join up, at least as an honorary member.  I battle the beast often myself, and have dropped out of my life more times than I'm comfortable saying before.  Right now I'm back and on a high, but it scares me to think of the impending low, you know?  I've never been diagnosed with depression, but I have LOTS of experience with it - both personally and professionally.  Fortunately, I'm usually able to pull myself out of funks, given time.  And even when I'm low, I'm pretty good at helping those around me - there are actually very few that know when I get down, aside from the absences in net-space.  I'd like to join up and be a support for people who need it, and maybe pick up some tips for myself along the way.

• Like 3

Level 1 Hobbit. Warrior at heart

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 2|CHA 2

Desired Class/Profession: Favored Soul/Warrior

"...But if you want to get what you never got, gotta do something that you've never done" - Mary Mary "Go Get It"

"Reasons or results - you decide" - Shin Ohtake, MAX Workouts

"Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality." - Bruce Lee

"We Become What We Want to Be by Consistently Being What We Want to Become Each Day" - harlanJEN