• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Yea for being one of the Most Wanted.  I suppose you'll go into hiding now, but before you melt into the shadows, how's your vegetable alphabet progress??  I'm at "X" now .... and will probably cheat by using watermelon (aka xigua). 

Thanks, Chris! I have been doing horrible with the vegetable alphabet progress. I have still only finished "P" (parsnips). Unless I count sQuash for Q (though I cook with that a lot). In the summer busy season for hubby's business, it is just too hard to find time to research new recipes and foods. I may need to wait until fall to pick it up again.

• Like 1

Wanted to post this video of some handstand practice from a few days ago. Unfortunately, there are not any of the 3 second holds in this one. That happens so intermittently that I would only be able to catch it if I recorded constantly. :nonchalance: Consistency will come eventually!

• Like 5

Wanted to post this video of some handstand practice from a few days ago. Unfortunately, there are not any of the 3 second holds in this one. That happens so intermittently that I would only be able to catch it if I recorded constantly. :nonchalance: Consistency will come eventually!

I am very jealous of that huge bean-bag thing!!!  Better than a crash pad.

I counted squash for Q since that's about the only really vegetable-like thing that starts with Q in North America. 

• Like 1

I am very jealous of that huge bean-bag thing!!!  Better than a crash pad.

I counted squash for Q since that's about the only really vegetable-like thing that starts with Q in North America. 

Yes, the beanbags are awesome! I feel like I can practice handstands with no fear at all. I can bail if I get off-balance sideways, and overbalancing backwards is just a soft landing. :) They are filled with foam and come from a local factory. Nice and comfy. :)

Wanted to post this video of some handstand practice from a few days ago.

OMG, you're not an alien!

Those bags look so comfy :). Something that might help you is to take a short rest before you kick up. Stand with your arms overhead, point your foot, engage all muscles and then go for it. That way you have a bit more core engagement (stability) and the tries are more constant, so it's easier to tweak. I say this as a former gymnast, I have not practiced enough in the past years to hold a handstand for more than a few seconds now ;).

Nice update, I hope you'll be able to keep this up between challenges :).

• Like 3

Those bags look so comfy :). Something that might help you is to take a short rest before you kick up. Stand with your arms overhead, point your foot, engage all muscles and then go for it. That way you have a bit more core engagement (stability) and the tries are more constant, so it's easier to tweak. I say this as a former gymnast, I have not practiced enough in the past years to hold a handstand for more than a few seconds now ;).

Nice update, I hope you'll be able to keep this up between challenges :).

Maybe that is why I can't seem to get a video of one of the holds. The first time I did it, I remember standing still and straight for about 10 seconds, thinking about pushing my feet up to the ceiling. Then pausing for another few seconds with my arms up and front foot pointed before kicking up.

I get antsy when the camera is recording and it makes me rush. Oops. Now I know that taking that time really DOES help. :)

As always, I will continue to post updates here until I start a new challenge thread when they open the boards. Guess I need to start fleshing out that challenge...

• Like 1

I was wearing my human mask this time. ;)

Yes, yes... a perfect disguise.  The earthlings will never know.

• Like 2

Great challenge. And I want one of those beanbag chair things. They look so comfy and what a great crash pad. I was thinking you meant like those kid beanbags, but yours are HUGE :wub: 

• Like 3

Nice video. Liked the room a lot, very cool place. Also love the beanbags.

I think your best attempt was the first one, right? I think you are in the right way, you have a very straight posture when going up. You just need to adjust the momentum that kick-up gives you, I guess. Good job!

Trying/hoping to get to it today. This is our busiest week of the year for hubby's business (10 events, 3 of them over 150 participants), so we are all a bit time-crunched right now. Not to mention needing to do some work on the Top Secret Mission- which I squeezed in. Whew!

• Like 4

Ok, I am SUPER late, but here come some of the recaps and challenge summary (I may have to finish up later, though - we are going to see Godzilla tonight with some friends).

My challenge ended not with a bang but a whimper. The last 2 days of week 6 completely puttered out. I did not do any exercise, yoga, or anything (except maybe a few handstands :redface: ). I DID do a lot of work on my Top Secret Mission, and as a result some of the arrangements were finalized on Monday. A worthwhile trade, but not what I had been planning.

Week 6 Recap:

Workouts

Strength: Some misc sets of different exercises, twice during the week. Counts as 1 = A good start!

Aerobic: walking on 2 days = Good!

Flexibility: 3 times = Nice - keep it going!

Handstands: M, T, W, F, S

Seeing the Silver Lining

(Did not track Sat & Sun)

Range 1-4 times daily. Total 13, Average = 2.6. Call it Nice!

Self-Care

(Did not track Sat & Sun)

Range: 2 - 9 points each day. Average = 5.2

36 points for the week (assuming the average of the other 5 days for Sat & Sun) = Great!

Mini-challenge: Participated at least 2 times, on Monday and Thursday
If you count all of the kick-up practice, I participated many, many times. :)

Foot exercises: did at least some on 2 days. A good start!

• Like 4

You did great this challenge :). If you compare this last week to the week before the challenge, there is huge improvement in all categories.

I'm looking forward to your next challenge :).

One step closer for your Top Secret Mission ... excellent! You did so well this challenge, and it was a tough one. Changing how you see the world is very difficult!

(Warning - long wall of text. It covers the rest of the challenge after week 2, with a focus on the end result)

They woke up in the morning and set out, rejuvenated. This third full day of their climb went well and uneventfully. There were some emotional ups and downs, but overall the trend was good. On the fourth day, they strayed off the path for some exploring. It was a lot of fun, and they even ended up finding a shortcut up the mountain.

During the fifth day, they came across the home of a somewhat grumpy hermit. He was willing to give them some food and supplies if they stayed to help him with chores for awhile.  It was a challenging day – they were faced with some situations that stressed them out and started to dig up the negativity again. But, they also learned some fun new skills. The woman started becoming introspective when they were not busy. They thanked the hermit and continued on their way.

And so they found themselves on the sixth day. It looked like they were nearing the summit, where they would find the guru. They were following a trail that wound around the mountain. In the afternoon, the path suddenly widened so that there was enough room for a tent or two, and ended at a pitch black, reflective rock wall.  They spent a long time exploring the trail back a hundred feet or more, believing they must have missed something. They had not – there were only steep, unclimbable slopes above and below them.

Returning to the path’s dead-end, the three travelers examined it. The wall looked like obsidian: black, shiny, and somehow cut smooth, much like a mirror. It was solid, too, with no evidence of a door or any other way to pass. The distorted reflections of the travelers seemed to be on a path that continued around the mountain, mocking.

An hour later, the woman was still sitting in front of the obsidian mirror-wall with her head in her hands. Sometimes, she would look up to stare blankly at the wall for a bit, then shook her head and slumped again. A breeze rustled the leaves and a soft thud sounded behind the woman.

“What is it?†the dragon asked softly.

“It’s not enough,†the woman replied quietly. “We came so far, but it was not enough. I am never enough.â€

“What do you mean? It seemed like everything was going so well,†inquired the dragon.

The woman sighed. “I thought it was. We were getting along better, and it seemed like it had gotten much easier to keep a positive attitude. We were even sometimes taking time out to play and do things just because we wanted to.†She paused, and took a deep breath before continuing. “In many ways, it feels like the way that things have improved has stripped away the emotional blocks and armor I had up. All I am left with is me - the real me, and I can’t just hide and stay busy anymore.†The woman’s eyes filled with tears as she stopped again.

After waiting for a few minutes, the dragon asked, “do you feel like you need to hide from yourself?â€

“I just feel,†the woman struggled to find the right words, “There are so many things that need to happen. I try so hard, and no matter what, something ends up not quite right. It seems like I am always too much or not enough of something. Either I am not organized enough or entertaining or fun enough, or I only finished 20 out of the 100 things that needed to happen. I need to take time out for me, but that only makes it worse.â€

“Why does everything have to get done? Why can’t you just let some things go and be who you are?â€

“People get angry when things are not done. I don’t feel like I have the liberty to make a mistake and move on to fix it. The mistakes just hang around and haunt me, or have long-term consequences like this one.†The woman gestured at the wall, which stood solidly in their way with her grotesque, distorted reflection gesturing back at her.

“What about this? Do you understand this obstacle yet?†As the dragon spoke, she moved up near the woman so her reflection also showed in the wall. It was crisp and clear, but slightly translucent, like a reflection on the smoothest glass. The woman shook her head, still staring at the ground. The dragon nudged her, insistent, “look.â€

The woman looked up, and her eyes went wide at seeing the contrast between her reflection and the dragon’s. “Now you begin to understand,†said the dragon. “You have come a long way, and this is the final obstacle of significance before you arrive at the guru’s abode. What do you think it is?â€

“Does it have to do with the way I see myself?†Asked the woman in a small voice, staring at the wall.

“Yes. No one can pass through to see the guru until they can seem themselves clearly – and appreciate and love themselves for being who they are.â€

The woman turned frustrated. “How can I do that? Everyone always seems to think that something is wrong. I know a lot of things, and that makes people feel bad. I “teach†too much, I am too quiet, I get too uptight when I try to have fun, or I have fun in the wrong way. I spend too much time by myself, or the music I like is bad. Even the things I am good at seems pretty useless, though usually I can’t spend enough time at any one thing to actually GET good at it. The only thing I like doing for work I have been avoiding for seven years now because I am afraid.â€

The dragon endured this tirade calmly. “Has all of this trying to adjust yourself so others will be happy worked?â€

“No,†the woman replied, turning away from the wall and dragon, tears streaming down her cheeks.

“Do you want to learn to love yourself? Are you ready to face this last obstacle before you can see the guru?â€

“Yes, but,†the woman paused, then went on, “I think it might take me awhile. There are a lot of beliefs and habits wrapped up in my perception.â€

The dragon smiled. “I think it might go more quickly than you think, but I will give you these options. You can either decide to camp out here, or I will give you a ride to somewhere off the mountain, and bring you back here when you feel ready to pass the wall.â€

The woman looked at the obsidian mirror-wall for a long moment, then turned to the dragon and straightened. “Please bring us off the mountain,†she said. “I think it is time for a new adventure.†The woman beckoned to the girl and teenager, and the three climbed up on the dragon’s back. The dragon turned her head to make sure they were all secure before taking off, and noted that their reflections had already become a little clearer.

• Like 2

So, how do I think this challenge went?

I did feel like I made a lot of progress on my main goal of being more positive. Ironically, the data do not show that, but I think that is because as thinking positive becomes more of a habit, I am less aware of it. I did notice an underlying sadness in the final weeks of the challenge, which I identified as outlined in the story. I really do feel like all of the armor and walls I have hidden behind for years is gone now, and I just have to face myself, which I am finding very hard. That did not all come from this challenge, but it has been the culmination of the work I have been doing so far.

So, we have this:

June July chall table

June July chall summary

Overall, by my grading system I did a “Nice job – keep it going.†For the purposes of the guild grading, I am going to give myself a B.

And now for the next adventure:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51787-elsfaire-rediscovers-the-awesomeness-of-nerds/

• Like 5

I really like your challenge wrap-up!

it's true, as you become more accustomed to positivity, you don't notice those tiny wins any more like you do at the beginning. but also you start to only remember the good stuff from a distance, too, instead of focusing on the tough stuff. pretty soon you'll be looking back and you'll ONLY see challenge successes. I mean it - you're doing so well!

• Like 2

Love the story. I relate very well to that feeling, as women we are such pleasers. Sometimes so much that we forget what we wanted. Read this story after I read your new challenge, and it makes the story even better, knowing that  you are rediscovering some of things you love to do.

• Like 1

I really like your challenge wrap-up!

it's true, as you become more accustomed to positivity, you don't notice those tiny wins any more like you do at the beginning. but also you start to only remember the good stuff from a distance, too, instead of focusing on the tough stuff. pretty soon you'll be looking back and you'll ONLY see challenge successes. I mean it - you're doing so well!

Thanks - I am looking forward to that time. The funny thing is, it will probably sneak up on me and I will just realize someday that I am doing it. :)

Love the story. I relate very well to that feeling, as women we are such pleasers. Sometimes so much that we forget what we wanted. Read this story after I read your new challenge, and it makes the story even better, knowing that  you are rediscovering some of things you love to do.

I spent a lot of years not knowing what I wanted. It was so much the case that it was kind of a going joke between my husband and I that he never knew what to get me as a gift for holidays/birthdays. I am learning better what I want, now I just need to accept it and not worry if someone else thinks it is weird or not up their alley.

Thanks for reading and sharing the journey with me!

• Like 1