• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

OneEyedWolfie

Martial arts at 5 am?

Hi all,

I am in a bit of a rut.

I am losing weight, I am training frequently but something feels like it's missing.

I used to do Judo, Aikido and wrestling.

I stopped all that about ten years ago when I started a job and regret not keeping it up.

Now I am back into training and losing weight but my focus is all over the place.

I think if I trained for something, it would have a better goal / objective.

The problem is that I work 12.5 hr shifts, three times a week. I have a 2 yr old son to look after on the two days off I have and I want to spend time with my wife.

I would really like to try escrima, kendo or archery. But the only time I can train is 5.30 am or really late at night. I am considering changing my job so I can get a better life balance. I am doing weights at home or at work that early in the morning.

I have a tai chi app I follow but it's not enough. It's starting to effect my motivation. I thought about private tuition but I cannot afford it at the moment.

I live in Cardiff, Wales. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Wolfie

That'd all depend on the dojo you decide to practice at.  Martial arts practice is like any other instructor-led fitness ordeal: you can do it as long as you have an instructor there.  As far as I am aware, there isn't an art out there which dictates when someone has to train, beyond saying if they want to master the art they have to train regularly.

I am asking what sort of training is there at 5 am. Lots of boot camps start early but no martial arts... That I know of.

Know of any?

Thanks

You can do almost any martial arts training at 5AM, except maybe partner exercises like many Judo or Aikido practices, or Push Hands from Taiji Quan -- unless you have a partner to do them with, of course. But even with Judo and Aikido, you could still practice ukemi or footwork, or sit and meditate to do image training. For Kendo or Archery, basic training is pretty straight forward and often very solo until, for Kendo, you begin partner exercises. All you need is a Shinai and knowledge of form, and you can just swing and practice on your own easily.

Class time is only to receive instructions. Historically in most arts, after a period of basic training, a student would often only see his Master once or twice a year. Find a way to learn what to practice, and then just practice at 5AM or whenever. Students of Shaolin and Wudang wakeup early to practice too, and there are many old Masters who have recalled how they had to wake up early to practice. 

Just do what works. Whether that's 5AM or midnight. :)

• Like 1

That'd all depend on the dojo you decide to practice at.  Martial arts practice is like any other instructor-led fitness ordeal: you can do it as long as you have an instructor there.  As far as I am aware, there isn't an art out there which dictates when someone has to train, beyond saying if they want to master the art they have to train regularly.

Sorry, I think I am confusing the situation. What I mean is - 'does anybody know of a dojo that is open at 5 am?'

I am a green belt in Judo and Aikido but had to stop training due to work commitments.

You can do almost any martial arts training at 5AM, except maybe partner exercises like many Judo or Aikido practices, or Push Hands from Taiji Quan -- unless you have a partner to do them with, of course. But even with Judo and Aikido, you could still practice ukemi or footwork, or sit and meditate to do image training. For Kendo or Archery, basic training is pretty straight forward and often very solo until, for Kendo, you begin partner exercises. All you need is a Shinai and knowledge of form, and you can just swing and practice on your own easily.

Class time is only to receive instructions. Historically in most arts, after a period of basic training, a student would often only see his Master once or twice a year. Find a way to learn what to practice, and then just practice at 5AM or whenever. Students of Shaolin and Wudang wakeup early to practice too, and there are many old Masters who have recalled how they had to wake up early to practice. 

Just do what works. Whether that's 5AM or midnight. :)

Thanks Ketsuuro.

I always wanted to learn push hands. I need to meditate more too.

I have a bokken and Jo so I should just get out and practice the basic kata I was taught.

I have no knowledge of Kendo form. I might try a lesson. They train every Saturday but I work every other Saturday.

Thanks for the encouragement. I might have to go Ronin for awhile. ('It looks like this is a wolf pack of one!')

I thought I saw a workout somewhere with a bokken. Never seen it again. Any ideas?

Wolfie

There is no such thing as a lone wolf; only a lonely wolf. 

As for practice, watch these and other videos by Imafuji-san:

How to Begin Your Training in Kendo? Part I

Practice Kendo at Home

Going to a class when you can for direct lessons is best, because the instructor there can correct your form. But even if you're a dedicated student going to every class, this sort of self-study and solo training will only help you progress that much faster. 

Sorry, I think I am confusing the situation. What I mean is - 'does anybody know of a dojo that is open at 5 am?'

That might be a bit of a stretch - the forum has people from all over the world, this'd be more a question very specific to Cardiff. Your best bet would be googling local places and asking them. Honestly, it's doubtful, because even if someone was up at that time it probably wouldn't be worth them opening the dojo, but my teacher hangs around the studio at all sorts of crazy hours and lets people drop in, so you could get lucky.

Sometimes, though, you might have to know when you're beat and the future will get better. I tried archery at a historical re-enactment display and I absolutely LOVED it. I would love to learn. But the nearest centre is far, and I have kids to look after. When my youngest starts school, though, then it could work. I'll have all the time in the world. Right now, it would be an enormous ballache for everybody. Ease vs ballache. I can wait a couple years.

That said, google around, see what arts are available in Cardiff, see when they're open, then email and ask about any private sessions they could offer.

• Like 1

What about private lessons once or twice a week?  You might find an instructor willing to teach you privately at 5am.

I considered this. Money is pretty tight at the moment but it's starting to look like more more viable option.

Thanks for the suggestion.

That might be a bit of a stretch - the forum has people from all over the world, this'd be more a question very specific to Cardiff. Your best bet would be googling local places and asking them. Honestly, it's doubtful, because even if someone was up at that time it probably wouldn't be worth them opening the dojo, but my teacher hangs around the studio at all sorts of crazy hours and lets people drop in, so you could get lucky.

Sometimes, though, you might have to know when you're beat and the future will get better. I tried archery at a historical re-enactment display and I absolutely LOVED it. I would love to learn. But the nearest centre is far, and I have kids to look after. When my youngest starts school, though, then it could work. I'll have all the time in the world. Right now, it would be an enormous ballache for everybody. Ease vs ballache. I can wait a couple years.

That said, google around, see what arts are available in Cardiff, see when they're open, then email and ask about any private sessions they could offer.

Yes you are right. I have used google. Again apologies, my questions are sometimes only looking for a binary response lol

If I had a few yes's for a certain type of martial art, I was going to narrow my search.

I thought the other day, that maybe a professional mma gym might be open at that time. I have a two year old starting another day in nursery soon. Hopefully I can do something in the day then.

I was thinking of buying myself a compound bow for £30 from here

http://www.bladebargains.co.uk/Archery+PWtUTXdBVE02a25jdmRXWjBGMlk

Just to shoot in my backyard for now.

Any suggestions on which one guys?

Thanks

Don't skimp on sleep, it is vital to your health and happiness.  If you can get enough sleep, go for the 5 am.  I feel great when I'm up in the morning doing healthy things while others are asleep, since it's very peaceful.  There's a nice strength to that still morning air.