• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

OneEyedWolfie

Introduction to escrima?

Escrima... That's the Filipino stick fighting no? Now I can't help you with finding material other than to say I have seen some videos on YouTube showing the first few basic attack combos you would learn and some drills. But I would also recommend seeing if there any clubs nearby to check out. I took a few classes (they were offered for free as part of the plan) and I did enjoy it a lot but you really need the partner to get the proper flow and it definitely helps to have an instructor show you what you're doing wrong lol I remember a few times i was trying a disarming technique but kept getting twisted up. Turns out I was starting with improper grip on the stick and I never even noticed.

Good luck though!

• Like 1

This is a very down-the-road answer, but go in and ask the question about weapon training from any Karate places you have in your area.  I've found that many do offer it as an option, granted you probably won't get your hands on a weapon until green belt. 

There are a number of styles/schools. I studied Modern Arnis, but many other schools exist-Kali and Escrima are on the same FMA continuum. I studied with Bram Frank, ( who has videos) and spent some great time with felix valencia from Lameco escrima years ago. http://www.budovideos.com/lameco-knife-fighting-dvd-with-felix-valencia.html. 

are you looking for knife, stick, empty hand?

+1 on MKG (minnesota kali group) and Dan Inosanto. There's no shortage of excellent information there. There's enough content in Kali/JKD to keep you learning new material for a lifetime.

• Like 2