Alarion: what will the next adventure bring?

Motivation: I am on the quest to balance my sedentary lifestyle of a translator-in-making by adding in all kinds of "active activities". It should not be that difficult, since I enjoy both the creativity of translation and the joys of getting outdoors for a walk, or even picking up a challenge I am not sure I can complete (chin ups). However, there is always that thing called laziness... And it complicates everything! Also, my latest blood test results showed my cholesterol is too high and the count of eosinophils is too low, so I hope that changing my habits a bit would also improve my health, and thus the results of the next test (in August) will be better. And perhaps posting here will help me overcome that laziness. So, here goes...

Main Goal: to improve my fitness and health overall, and to get my cholesterol back to "normal" level.

1. Exercise:

- Run 3 times a week;

- Do 3 workouts a week (actually I aim for 5 a week, but with summer here must allow for travel and such);

- Work towards being able to do a chin up - twice a week.

2. Sleep: in bed before midnight.

3. Food: eat no more than 2 servings of sweets or other sugary snacks a week.

4. Pass all of my exams (9 of them) within the mark range of 7 - 10 (10 - excellent).

~ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Ranger

STR: 10.5 / DEX: 1 / STA: 2.9 / CON: 22 / WIS: 2 / CHA: 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Current challenge

Battle Log: No Quitting!

Nerdfit character: here

Those look like some good goals, but I'm thinking that your exercise goals might burn you out pretty quick.  I don't know how much you currently do, so maybe it's fine, but maybe start smaller and build on that?

Are you going to give yourself some sort of grading scheme or a tracking system? It can be helpful :) 

Best of luck!

I'm actually already taking things slow, so hopefully there won't be problems. I still run only up to 3 km every time, and then split by a minute of walk. And workouts are usually half an hour of bodyweight, dumbbells, or cardio + stretching. Only enough to move around a bit.

Hmm. And I could probably use something more than pen and paper to track my progress. :D I like those pretty progress bars some people have in their signatures, but I haven't yet figured out how to use those.

~ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Ranger

Current challenge

I was going to ask the same thing about the amount of fitness.  That' 10 times a week you're trying to do fitness-related things. If after 2 weeks of this you're really tired and can't seem to keep up; you need to listen to your body and dial it down a little bit.  If you're feeling fine then keep going.  Generally after 2 weeks all the energy your expending catches up with you so if you're getting solid sleep but you still feel drained then just reevaluate the amount of exercise you're doing.

Is there a way to grade these? Some people use points systems, others just do an A, B, C for the week and then average the weeks together at the end.

#3 is a compound goal.  Try to avoid using 'and' with goals since those are all actually separate. They might fall into the 'food' category, but each is a change and too many changes at once can get extremely hard to build habit-wise.  How do you gauge 'more' or 'less'?  Do you have a number in mind like 5+ servings of veggys, or 1 or less serving of junk food?  Remember that the more specific you are with goals, the better the chance of success since then you can track it more effectively.

Common mistake is to try and do a ton of things in a 6-week challenge, only to have it be too much to change, feel overwhelmed, fall behind, and then give up.  Just keep that in mind.  What you're trying to do is doable, it just looks like a lot when it's all broken down.  You're better off starting slow and building up your Awesome-Meter.

If you have any questions, feel free to check out the Library, chat in the Tavern, or feel free to send me a PM.  Good luck and have fun :)

I've been keeping to a similar fitness schedule for a few months, but every so often things happen and I skip a day or two (or a week if I fall ill). Sometimes I think it's even not enough, since my progress is very slow; on the other hand, I don't think I could handle a more rigorous training. Though I'm not sure what is better a little every day as I have now or much a few days a week.

Hmm. Let's rework #3 then. I do eat at least some kind of veggie or fruit in every meal (most times), so perhaps I should just focus on not eating sweets.

I will think of how to evaluate/grade my goals once I've gotten rid of Monday's exam. :) Then I'll have a bit more time on my hands to think and explore the resources here.

Thanks for stopping by and prodding my goals a bit, Teros! ;)

Ranger

Current challenge

Tim Ferris in his book the 4-Hour Body wrote something to the effect of "The good method you follow is better than the perfect one you quit"  

Don't feel like it's not enough.  It takes time to see those changes. :) 

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragements! :)

Thought up some sort of grading.

For workouts and runs:

A = 18 or more times in 6 weeks: 2.5 STR/STA

B = 15 - 17: 2 STR/STA

C = 10 - 14: 1 STR/STA

Chin up workouts:

A = 10 - 11 times: 1.5 STR

B = 8 - 9: 1 STR

C = 5 - 7: 0.5 STR

Sleep:

A = 40 - 45 nights before 0.00: 5 CON

B = 35 - 39: 4 CON

C = 30 - 34: 2 CON

Sweets:

A = 6 - 0 servings in 6 weeks: 3.5 CON

B = 12 - 7: 2 CON

C = 20 - 13: 1 CON

As for the exams... they better be good! :D

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

I'll see where I can join, Teros. :)

And an update.

June 8

Didn't do much in terms of workouts, was studying for the exam.

Sleep at 23:15

June 9

Run 14 min (1.78 km); walk 1 min; run 14 min (1.77 km)

5 sets of one 1/3-1/2 chin up + 7 chin up "walk-the-planks". Oh dear goodness! My abs are so sore after this.

Sleep at 23:55

June 10

Just a walk, since I felt too sore to do much else.

Sleep at 0:20. Uh oh. Silly internet...

June 11

Run 15 min (1.87 km); walk 1 min; run 15 min (1.75 km)

Cardio workout: 6 exercises 30 sec each. I strongly dislike cardio workouts! Can't even do most of them without stopping to catch my breath.

Exam results:

English-Russian written translation of economic and legal texts: 10

Russian - English written translation of economic texts: 9

English - Latvian written translation of legal texts: 9

Oh, and also random walks with my friends and shopping-walks to get food. Probably I should write those down too. 29.23 km since June 6, runs and walks altogether.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

I greatly enjoy walking, and runs are okay, but I don't like jumping jacks and other crazy things, though I do them once in a while.

I am studying at Ventspils University College to become a translator/interpreter, work languages Latvian, English and Russian. I'm currently finishing my third year, and only one more remains, but that will be mostly an internship and writing a bachelor paper, and probably some more classes in the last semester. I absolutely love languages and dealing with words, but somehow it took me 14 years after finishing my high school to figure out that I want to study further. Sometimes feeling like a grandma among those younger students. :D

Eh, and I can't seem to decide which accountabilibuddies group I'd fit in most.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

That sounds really cool!  And I know what you mean about going back to school, I'm considering it, and it'll be rough. lol

I looked at the first mini, and honestly, I feel like following everyone here is enough for me to deal with.  I drop off the map when I take on to much. 

But it's definitely worth it to suffer some inconvenience for sake of gaining the needed knowledge. ;)

Think I might skip this mini - not sure I could keep up with it either.

And some update:

June 11

Sleep: 23:55

June 12

50 x jump rope; 50 crunches; 40 x jump rope; 40 sit ups

Sleep: 23:50

June 13

5 sets of one 1/4 chin up + 7 walk-the-plank chin ups - I found I had no strength to pull myself up to 1/2 chin up that day. Go figure.

Walk 5.49 km - set off with my friend after the exams for a bit of a shopping spree (didn't buy anything else but a nut and fruit mix)

And I completely lost it in the evening and blame the joy of having done the last exam. Gobbled up a whole big chocolate bar and stayed up till 3:45 watching movies, soccer and doing crossword puzzles...

June 14

A random walk - 6.24 km and a 5 min arm workout.

Ranger

Current challenge

Let's see... Evaluation of the last week:

Week 1:

Runs: 2

Workouts: 3

Chin up training: 2

Sleep before midnight: 4 nights

Sweets: 12 servings

Average weight: 70.4 kg

Ranger

Current challenge

Looks like you didn't do too bad except for those darn sweets sneaking up on you!  Do you have a plan of attack to try to be a bit better than last week?  Or was it one of those weeks where everyone had a birthday and that's just the way it was?  :)

Eh, Jill, it was only that chocolate consisting of 10 large pieces - I don't think it would be fair to count it as 2 servings even though I did gobble it all up some 3 pieces in one go and then later the rest of it. And then there was this sudden craving for bread with sour cream and sugar... It was a celebration of having finished my exams, so hopefully it won't be that bad from now on, though I might eat a random ice cream or something.

It is not much better with my sleep habits. Now that I have no reason to get up early to go to classes or exams, I end up watching movies or doing something else late into night and getting up late.

June 16:

Run 12 min (1.54 km), walk 1 min, run 12 min (1.46 km);

Abs workout: 1 round of 8 exercises;

Walk 6.39 km

June 17:

Walk 6.08 km

3 sets of 1 chin up attempt (1/4 - 3/4) and 7 walk-the-planks. I stopped two sets short, since there was pain in my upper abs - not a burning from workout, but rather pain that made me think of a pulled muscle or something. Oh well.

Exams:

Legal terminology in the EU context - 9

Russian stylistics - 9

Ranger

Current challenge

You definitely have to decide what's important to you and prioritize according to what you want to achieve.  :) 

Sounds like your exercise is going well and your exams are in the 8-10 range you want! Congrats.  Keep it up! 

Yes, probably some determination would help. I think I'm getting out of my "Freedom! Do all that I want!" mode and trying to get back into proper sleeping habit and such.

June 18

Walk 13.81 km

I went to another town to get my internship contract signed, so missed my run, but I did walk to the bus station and back, and quite a distance in the other town (got some real honey and beeswax for a good price, so all worth it).

June 19

Walk 4.49 km

Back workout 3 rounds of 8 exercises

June 20

Run 14 min (1.69 km), walk 1 min, run 14 min (1.69 km)

Kickboxing cardio workout - 2 rounds of 6 exercises

Walk 2.62 km

Exams:

Research methods and term paper - 9

Three more unknown grades remain, so will see...

Ranger

Current challenge

Haha, right you are! I can pretty well keep up with my workouts, but food and sleep can easily go amiss. I've had 3 servings of sweets, I think. Not as bad as last week, at least. Perhaps honey, dried fruits, nuts will help, and suppose I could bake something myself - if I wasn't so lazy. This week I have grapefruit and cherries to eat instead of chocolate and ice cream.

Ranger

Current challenge

How is it that I missed your threat until now friend?  Congrats on the great grades that you've gotten thus far though I'm not all that surprise.  You're awesome with your school work!  I think you're taking on a lot this challenge so just be sure not to beat yourself up if you mess up something.  Focus on the good things that you are doing instead of on something where you might not do quite as well as you wanted to do.  You're doing great!  

Intro, Challenges:  1, 2

Level: 1   Race: Human  Profession: Ranger

STR: 2  DEX: 1  STA: 1  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

"[i fear] a cage. . . . To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - J.R.R. Tolkien

"Your mind will quit a hundred times before your body ever does.  Feel the pain and do it anyway"

Haha, right you are! I can pretty well keep up with my workouts, but food and sleep can easily go amiss. I've had 3 servings of sweets, I think. Not as bad as last week, at least. Perhaps honey, dried fruits, nuts will help, and suppose I could bake something myself - if I wasn't so lazy. This week I have grapefruit and cherries to eat instead of chocolate and ice cream.

I"m kinda psychic like that :P  But not really, I know because I do the same! :P  

Sounds like your fruit plan will help this week to avoid the bad stuff.  I just finished a whole30 and I don't crave sweets nearly as much.  Fruit and medjool dates seem to do the trick now! 

Yay, Dimia, you found me! But I did eventually set up my signature properly too... Eh, some things have already gone amiss, but you're right. I won't stress about it too much and maybe will change a focus slightly for the next challenge. Or not. :D Depends on my habits.

Jill, suppose those eating habits are harder to change than just working out a bit... Hehe. But I'm not eating that many sweets any more - less stress too with the exams done, so I don't have horrid cravings.

I've been reading your threads, but somehow haven't been able to bring myself up to writing something coherent in there... Guess my brain has switched off after that last semester and exams.

Summary of Week 2:

Runs: 2

Workouts: 3

Chin up training: 2

Sleep before midnight: 2 nights

Sweets: 3 servings

Average weight: 70.7 kg

This week's update:

June 23:

Run 15 min (1.79 km), walk 1 min, run 15 min (1.74 km)

1 chin up!!! On my way back from the run decided to give it a try - and did it!

Total body workout: 2 rounds of 10 exercises, 15 reps each - actually... 4 sets of 25 were prescribed, but I think it is crazy! I'm already all stiff and sore, as it is. But maybe it was meant to split those sets throughout the day... then maybe it could be done.

Walk 2.06 km

June 24:

Walk 7.82 km - my buns are so sore from yesterday's workout that it is hard to either sit or walk, but something has to be done. :D:D

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Congrats on getting your first chin-up!  Keep pushing yourself and you'll be doing them like a pro before long!  

Intro, Challenges:  1, 2

Level: 1   Race: Human  Profession: Ranger

STR: 2  DEX: 1  STA: 1  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

"[i fear] a cage. . . . To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - J.R.R. Tolkien

"Your mind will quit a hundred times before your body ever does.  Feel the pain and do it anyway"

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines