• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

annyshay

Annyshay Stops Second Breakfast

edd43b7756002ec98b60e9cf79e0ac52.jpg

Main Quest: Lighten the Load

Any hobbit that has gone on a long adventure knows that extra pounds from extra food are just added weight.  I’m planning to hike the presidential traverse this fall, and I do not need any extra weight to carry!  I could buy fancy gear, or I could get my body to a lower weight.  Losing weight is 80% related to food, which remains a struggle for me.  True to my hobbit nature, I LOVE food and LOVE to have multiple delicious meals.  Second breakfast has become normal again.  And yet, it is possible for me to have a healthy relationship with food when I am proactive – planning ahead and remaining mindful.  Reclaiming this healthy relationship with food is the crux of my challenge.

tumblr_m4pnnqjCUM1ru8yv8o2_250.gif

1) I plan my meals. [+3 WIS]

Each week, I will have a meal plan for all meals in a day.  Hopefully I will expand this to include shopping and cooking plans that are realistic and back up plans for crazy work days.

(Grading {NB – all < read “less than or equal toâ€} - <1 missed week – A, <2 – B, <3 – C)

tumblr_m4pnnqjCUM1ru8yv8o5_250.gif

2) I don’t snack. [+4 CON]

Pretty simple.  No snacks.  No deviations from the plan!

(<6 snacks – A, <12 – B, <18 – C)

The-Hobbit-feast.png?313ab3

3) I enjoy company without copying their eating habits. [+2 CHA]

Social and stress eating are two of my biggest challenges, especially because large social situations stress me out.  Double wammy of extra food... no more!  I do not need to eat like a dwarf just because I'm surrounded by them!

(<1 missed meal per week – A, <2 – B, <3 – C)

LOTR%252520Merry%252520%252526%252520Pip

Side Quest – I love Handstands!! [+2 DEX, +1 STR]

This is super fun and doable all the time.  I will do at least 5 minutes per day.  Some times I'll do two sets of practice.  :D  Goals are continuing to improve my wallstand and work on kicking up into a outward facing wall stand.

(<6 missed days – A, <12 – B, <18 – C)

group022_mingoffellows.jpg

Life Quest – I Will Apply to Fellowship!!! [+3 CHA]

I need to apply to fellowship (the next step in my training) now.  No more delays.  I work 25 minutes per day for at least 5 days per week.

(<6 missed days – A, <12 – B, <18 – C)

• Like 2

I like where this is going.

I do not need to eat like a dwarf just because I'm surrounded by them!

That's such an awesomely nerdy way of saying this!  <3

• Like 1

Awesome goals! I really like the goal of enjoying company without  sharing their eating habits. I am tons better at this than I was, but sometimes still struggle. One thing I did that was helpful was to write up a list of reasons for why I chose to eat healthy. This helps me when I am around friends or family and everyone else is eating stuff and I start feeling like I want it too.

Yay, handstand goals!

Another hobbit! 

Life is tough without second breakfast.. and brunch.. and second lunch.. and after dinner finger food.. ahum  :orange:

We can do it though! Last challenge I did a weekly prep as a goal, which i'm continuing this time and sticking to 3 meals a day. 

Had my feet been a tad hairier I'd also be concerned whether I'm a hobbit or human. :P I love food! You say you can't outrun your fork but I'm sure as hell trying. :D Good luck with the challenge!

Yay! You're going to do an awesome job with this challenge! It looks like you've got some really solid goals set out! I'm so excited to see what you accomplish! :D 

lht4.jpg

Does anybody else feel like this challenge snuck up on them?  Today I was going about my business until I got on my computer and went... oh... NEW CHALLENGE!  This is probably because I'm on a mini-vacation at my mom's for the weekend.  I've been having a lovely time celebrating my brother's graduation.  But now... this hobbit needs to get ready.

I plan my meals.  - Not yet, I don't.  This may be a task for tomorrow or Wednesday.

I don't snack. - I was reeeeeally tempted by some chocolate covered almonds in my mother's cupboard.  Instead, we planned to go out to BBQ tonight (yay!), and I distracted myself by doing other goals and posting.  I must remember that distraction is a powerful ally.

I enjoy company, without eating like them. - At lunch, I ate some questionable things with my mother (subs, chips, and soda), but I stayed within good portion sizes (especially for a hobbit!), so I'm counting this as an example of winning.

I love handstands!! - five minutes of wrist work, wallstand, forward rolled out, and hollow body (currently I can do legs straight at 15 degrees with my arms reaching down).

I will apply to fellowship!!! - I distracted myself by doing this.  Double win!  I got a significant start on my personal statement.  Boom.

So, despite the sneaky start, I call day 1 a success!

• Like 1

I stayed within good portion sizes (especially for a hobbit!).

What does that mean "for a hobbit"? AfaIk hobbits can eat a huge amount of food ( think Lothlorien departure when Legolas introduced us to Lembas and said one bite can keep a grown man full for the day and Pippin said he ate 4 breads) otherwise hobbits are small in height and small humans usually don't eat that much.

Which way do you mean? :)

hobbit-food.jpg

I plan my meals.  - Meal plan accomplished!  Now I just need to cook today to follow it.  If I post here, you all will keep me to it, right?  Right.

I don't snack. - I'm surprised by how often I reach for snacks just because I think I *may* be hungry before my next meal.  So far, I'm on top of it.  This will be a GREAT help in getting my relationship with food back on track.

I enjoy company, without eating like them. - This has been a challenge this week.  Wednesday and Thursday night were both graduation parties.  These tend to combine all my weaknesses - free food, social anxiety, alcohol, and less healthy choices.  Wednesday I went a little overboard with what I ate - two glasses of wine, lots of hors d'oeuvre, meat, shrimp, okra, pasta dish, several cheesecake pops and an overflowing sundae of awesomeness.  So, I say that was a bit too much eating like everybody else.  Thursday I struck the balance much better in terms of reasonable choices and portion sizes.  Also, only one glass of wine, perhaps related.  Still, progress is good!

What does that mean "for a hobbit"?

Touche, I was meaning that I DID not eat all the Lembas and ate an appropriate amount for myself.  :D

I love handstands!! - mini-challenge is totally in line with my side quest!!!  I've stolen all sorts of new shoulder mobility work.  Boom!  Also, apparently my belly to wall handstands are level 2, booyah. 

I will apply to fellowship!!! - I've been working on my personal statement, and it's really hard.  Yesterday I avoided it.  Not today!  I've got to keep moving forward!

• Like 3

Love the hobbit theme and your goals! Not snacking and behaving in the presence of company is hard. If food is in front of me, I will nibble at it (or look silly sitting on my hands). And my family loves junk food and desserts. If possible for the social gathering, I like to bring stuff I won't feel bad for eating (fruit salad, sliced veggies with guacamole, etc). People usually don't say no to more food ;)

Liked Steve's sucking article.  Here's the most updated video of my handstands.  Would you believe me if I told you this was the third attempt?  I am still learning how to use photobooth and it ate my epic first handstand of awesomeness.  This one has bent elbows... BOOO!  Still, progress methinks.

• Like 2

More photos!

IMG_1044.jpg

This is from a recent hike with my roommate.  We hit the golden hour and found a bullfrog.

IMG_1055.jpg

First meal plan, scribbled in the car.

IMG_1059.jpg

Second version with a handy list of all the things to make.  That way I can switch the order up a bit if I want to.  Or today, when I realized I had chicken drumsticks instead of breasts, make a substitution.  Maybe I should write out what I actually eat to compare?  Or just post it... hmmmmm...  any ideas, rebels?

• Like 2

I'm glad I'm not the only one using pen & paper.  Chocolate chili sounds really interesting.

I don't have much experience with food plans, but I guess it all depends how strictly you want to follow your plan. You said switching up the order of meals is okay but what about swapping things? Like if you decide you would prefer to smack someone with the chicken instead of eat it again. Then again, I get bored with variety of foods very quickly (other than apples and broccoli...). I guess figure out how much wiggle room you're okay with and go with that. Posting meal pics works too if you can wait long enough to take the pic before eating it all.

I'm loving following along with your challenge. Food is a big part of my challenge too. That whole not eating what those around you are eating is a big pitfall for me, I think I need to keep a better eye on it.

Chocolate chili sounds really interesting.

Like if you decide you would prefer to smack someone with the chicken instead of eat it again. Then again, I get bored with variety of foods very quickly (other than apples and broccoli...). I guess figure out how much wiggle room you're okay with and go with that.

Posting meal pics works too if you can wait long enough to take the pic before eating it all.

There's no coming back once you go chocolate... but HERE is the recipe.

Garjan!  Chickens are friends... not weapons!

300px-Gonzo_and_camilla1.jpg

I'm trying to decide if posting food pics would help me.  It's been cool watching KB Girl's thread, so I may try it.  I'm not too worried about the flexibility issue.  I generally stick to the plan, but can switch out meals or ingredients as long as it's the same basic idea.  I'm trying to focus on paleo/primal eating, so calories are less important than good choices.  Almost anything I make myself is a good choice.  My downfall is not having a plan and not having stuff in the house or thawed out, you know?

I'm loving following along with your challenge. Food is a big part of my challenge too. That whole not eating what those around you are eating is a big pitfall for me, I think I need to keep a better eye on it.

I'm finding it really hard to quantify.  Food is a big part of how my friends interact, so I don't want to be a hermit.  Still, there needs to be balance.  Let me know if you have any brilliant breakthroughs, and glad to support each other!

• Like 1

I love that idea of having a list of meals to choose from. Then I could have the ingredients on hand, but change if I am not in the mood, or I have less time and need something quicker, or its hot and I don't want soup or whatever.

Great handstand video. Good balancing. Did you feel your elbows bending when you did the handstand? I didn't think I was bending my arms until I saw my video

I love that idea of having a list of meals to choose from. Then I could have the ingredients on hand, but change if I am not in the mood, or I have less time and need something quicker, or its hot and I don't want soup or whatever.

Great handstand video. Good balancing. Did you feel your elbows bending when you did the handstand? I didn't think I was bending my arms until I saw my video

Thanks, EG!  I did not feel my arms bending... mostly, I was trying not to fall on my head or knees like I had just done on my second attempt.  Now I'm paying much more attention to my arms though.  Videos are really helpful, huh?

I love the idea of flexible meal plans.  I'm pretty sure I stole it from Melissa Joulwan, who is all sorts of awesome.  Here's a link to one example: Meal Plan Week 1.