Previously:

Overall goal: 49.629% completed

Lessons Learned: Work can get crazy hectic due to quick turn around projects. It would seem that I easliy loose track of time as well as the challenge ended a week before I thought it would as I focused on solving issues with projects and focused less on working out. I need to work on setting better goals, or at least setting a good reward system for myself to stay motivated due to lack of viewed progress in Character level.

Steps Forward: Boost my confidence to get back into the gym to work on my weighted workouts; strive to work out a minimum of 3 times per week focusing on strength and 2 times per week to run interval sprints or distance.  Build the habit of posting the day/week results. Discussion below regarding goal completion and level advancement

Main Quests:

Work out to improve overall health, document and improve personal record of weighted workouts, improve running to run 5k [30:05 Accomplished on 9 June 2014], 10k, perhaps half marathon, Ruck march 20 miles in full battle weight (Civil War soldier inspired, can be modern soldier weight). Become proficient with bow, hand gun, and long arms (rifles and shotguns). Learn a martial art; learn a sword style. Learn a second language; learn a third language. Earn a Master's degree. Dive Florida Keys; Dive Australia/Great Barrier Reef; Dive Japan. (Keeping this list as my living document)

Fitness:

• Strength training workouts 3x/week (STR +2, DEX +2) [DEX due to heavy emphasis on body weight workouts]
    • Substitute one body weight workout with a workout in the gym using free weights/bar weights (STR +2, CHA +1 in addition to above) [ For those that have been following, you know that I am gym shy and intimidated, CHA increase if I overcome this goal]
  • Aerobic workouts 2x/week (CON +1, STA +2)
    • Run 5k and record time at beginning and end of challenge [seeking to improve time] (DEX +1, STA +1)
    • Unit PT will count (Sports or Intramurals)

Life Quest:

• Post at least 1x per week (Sunday night) push to 3x per week, MW(F+Sa+Su)+TeTh(Sa+Su). (CHA +2)
  • Pay off at least twice minimum due on Student loan to pay off early (WIS +1)

Notes: These goals all look incredibly familiar (as they are essentially the same goals I have had since joining NF).  I just have never completed my fitness goals at 100% like I have wanted to and only leveled to 1 due to the fact that I followed the Level 1 baseline of completeing 3 weeks. My understanding of Level 2 was completing (my definition is 100%) the 6 week challenge by completing (100%) all of my goals.  This system has now been proven and showned to be an epic plan for immenint failure as I have had one thing or another come up sametime halfway into the challenges (not a fortune teller here obviously).  I have become increasingly demotivated due to the fact that I feel like I am leveling up my life, but my character wasn't due to the harsh goal standard I was using. Re-reading the rules, it seems I  misinterpreted how to level up, but I am still confused as one line states participation is a level, and another says completion (which to me is 100% goal completion).  This time around, to increase my motivation I will use another system in which I will grade myself by percentage and award myself even with partial completion of goals and challenges.

From the previous challenge Wrap Up Thread:
A - 100% B - 75%  C - 50%  D - 25%  F - 0%

To make things easy for me, I will assign 100 points per goal per week (100/600 max possible score per goal per week; 400 points per week [first bullet listed, sub-bullets are supplemental or additional] for a total of 2400 points for the challenge. I will use these percentage breakdown and apply to my stat bonus for the end of the challenge.

Huge question now is; how do I set the level goal? I would like to focus on the fitness goals and tie it to it, but that hasn't been working out. Should I tie it to completing fitness goals of at least a C level or should I just tie it to following this challenge to the end and assign the level based on participation of the challenge itself?

Stats:
Male
24 years young
5'11 according to the Air Force (I say I am really 6'0)
160 lbs (as of 5 June 2014)
Lean body with minor muscle definition

Although I am not looking for body building, I think it would be nice to be able to see some definition in my abs.  I have seen the lines forming and I know there is muscle behind the layer of fat (what little there is, but I am more concerned with what my body can do as opposed to how it looks).  My biggest concern is for developing the muscles underneath the fat to improve my performance. I am an engineer and I firmly believe that functionality is grossly superior to aesthetics, so I won't make my goals focus on looks. I have a chart comparing body weight to lift weight and I am considering adding in getting to a specific level as according to the chart. Perhaps that will be for the next challenge when I can move away from just getting the workouts in and avoiding life's complications.

I have also recently started waking up earlier to get to a run and swim clinic this week and I feel like this may be something to look into to ensure I get a workout in the day before Priorities have a chance to override my workouts. 

Workouts:

Training Session:

30 seconds exercise with 20 second rest

3x :30 Pushups

3x :30 Burpies

3x :30 High Knees

3x :30 Body Squats

3x :30 Reverse Pushups

3x :30 Jump Lunges

3x :30 Reverse Lunges

Ab Attack:

30 seconds exercise with 20 second rest

3x :30 Air Bike

3x :30 Mountain Climbers

3x :30 Hand-on-ground Sit ups

3x :30 Sit Ups

3x :30 Left Side Crunch

3x :30 Right Side Crunch

3x :30 Double Leg Lifts

3x :30 Beach Bodies

3x :30 Center Plank

3x :30 Right Side Plank

3x :30 Left Side Plank

20 Minute Drill:

15 Body Weight Squats, 10 Pushups, 5 Pull ups

Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes

Vert Jump Workout:

Weights to be included

5x10 Cleans superset with 5x10 Front Squat

5x10 Back Squat

Chest Attack:

Weights to be included

2x10 Dumbbell Press Warmup weight

2x10 Dumbbell Press Medium Weight

2x8 Dumbbell Press Medium+ Weight

1x6 Dumbbell Press Heavy Weight

5x10 Slanted Bench Press superset with Pushups

Back Attack:

Weights to be included

2x10 Deadlift Warmup

5x10 Deadlift

4x10 Straightleg Deadlift

4x10 T-Bar Row

4x10 Row

Leg Destroyer:

Weights to be included

2x10 Back Squats Warmup Weight

10x10 Back Squats Medium Weight

Kettle Bell Workout:

7 rounds of each exercise working out 30 seconds on 20 seconds off of Kettle Bell Swing, Burpies, and then Kettle Bell Squats

Interval Sprints:

6x400m

Pyramid Sprints

1x200m

1x400m

1x600m

1x800m

1x800m

1x600m

1x400m

1x200m

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

Current Challenge: Jumpin' back in the fray

I feel your pain with the pressures of having to meet project deadlines with work. You do miss out on a lot with having to put in extra time or just loosing track due to being tired. Hopefully you get what you want out of it this time.

Race: Undead Gnoll | Class: Ranger

[Level: 3 | STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 4 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 4 ]

Intro: And Breath.. Challenges: #1,#2,#3(FAIL),#4

You don't drown by falling in the water, you drown by staying there.

-Edwin Louis Cole

"I firmly believe that functionality is grossly superior to aesthetics"

This. As important as this is, it's amazing how hard it is (even for someone who agrees with it as much as I do), to keep this light burning amid all the crap about getting jacked and ripped and whatever other nonsensical adjective the internet made up today.

As far your concerns about playing the stats game, I would caution against overthinking it (it's a game after all, just have fun with it!). Be gentle with your standards for yourself and remember that showing up really is 80% of the battle. You've got an epic bucket list there, and your not gonna crush all those goals at once. Take your time, break it down, and focus on small victories. You don't have to get 100% to ace a college course, right?

• Like 2

Level 0 Air Nomad Assassin
STR: 0 STA: 0 DEX: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Current Challenge: [Url= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80570-phayze-accepts-an-apprenticeship-as-an-airbender-respawn/]Apprentice Airbender![/url]

Check Out My LEGO Stuff on Flickr!
"The next golden age of human achievement begins here and now" -Neil Degrasse Tyson, Cosmos

If showing up is 80%, and knowing is half...then 80+50=130%...uhhh....

And now for something completely different.

Schedule for the week:

Monday: Run 5k, record time

Teusday: Bodyweight Abs

Wednesday: Gym Workout

Thursday: Run/Swim

Friday: Unit PT/Bodyweight Tranining session

Saturday: Rest/ DM D&D Castle Ravenloft

Sunday: Rest

Notes; Tabata workout can be supplemented for any bodyweight and run workouts.

Meant to run my 5k earlier this morning...definitely didn't happen so I will run this afternoon.

• Like 2

Half-elven Ranger

You engineers and your "math", ppssshh! *eyeroll*

Current Challenge: [Url= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80570-phayze-accepts-an-apprenticeship-as-an-airbender-respawn/]Apprentice Airbender![/url]

"The next golden age of human achievement begins here and now" -Neil Degrasse Tyson, Cosmos

Hah us engineers maths usually magically just proves what we want and ends up not working since we were full of crap :P.

I hope you got a good run in.

Sent from my nokia 3210

• Like 1

-Edwin Louis Cole

Usually we math just enough to figure out if it should work; implement a shoddy plan to make the project work, find out our maths was wrong, and debug the project by applying band aids that work for that one problem and breaks another section.  Then we put ourselves on repeat; makes a wonderful flowchart :pride:

5k went well yesterday; completed time was 30:05. Warmed up with a .5 mile walk to the track and stretched static and dynamic and cooled down with the same back home. Unfortunately, the track only happened to be available becuase I walked in on a school run practice and I will need to find another track/prepare my running days better to use the track on base [tots forgot to get my workout clothes and didn't wake up early enough to get the run in before work]

This morning was an early morning wake-up for project work so I will be doing my bodyweight workout at home.  I even was able to read up on some of Steve's workouts and I like the sound of his circuits.  No plans yet to fully incorporate or dedicate a workout but they look like fun supplements when a mini-challenge calls for them...speaking of which, I need to check out what all is going on for the mini this week :onthego: *awesome fwooshing sound*

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

Sounds like every engineer I've ever worked with. Glad to know you lot are consistent. ;)

More importantly, though, nice work on the run! How'd the workout go?

And honest with anyone were not working for :D

Great job man I won't be doing the mini just yet I have to make sure and stick with my own stuff first.

Sent from my nokia 3210

-Edwin Louis Cole

Yesterday's workout went better than last time; I started off with static and dynamic stretching and  accomplished 2x10 20 lbs Dumbbell press and 2x10 25lb as warmups, followed by 2x10 30 lb and 1x8 35, reaching failure at 1x6 35.  I wanted to slant the bar (45 lbs) but  I decided to just slant 20lb dumbbells instead accomplishing 1x6 20 lb and 4x10 15lbs. After all that I motivated myself to cool down with some static stretching in the gymand dynamic strtching as I was walking out.  I definitely felt the fatigue in the chest that I wanted to and felt a nice burn in my biceps and triceps.  This morning I am still a bit sore but I know I could be feeling a whole lot worse if I hadn't stretched.

Unfortunately, I missed the swim practice this morning, so I will be putting in my bodyweight workout originally scheduled for Friday in for today; may even put in one of Steve's bodyweight workouts to get a good change of pace.

I think next 6 week challenge I should look into sleep schedules and see how I might be able to motivate myself to get up in the morning.  I typically get to bed before 2200 (around 2100 is when I get to bed) and I set my alarm, but I always hit the snooze button and wake up around 0600 just in time to get ready and head to work at around 0700. I am trying to adjust my body to get tired around 2000 so I can wake up at 0500 and get a solid hour of workout time before another hour of hygiene and travel time, but it seems as if I am hitting a wall on my sleep schedule.

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

Getting the right sleep is tough alright. I've tried a few different patterns myself but have settled on bed for 2200 and up at 0630 giving myself 30 minutes to fall asleep. Not that this works terrible well but I am a light sleeper and I get the most sleep with this schedule, usually 6 to 6.5 hours. Trying to offset to earlier times didn't work and just left me wasting more time in bed unable to rise that early due to less sleep. I'm doomed to be an afternoon gym goer but hopefully it can work for you.

Sent from my nokia 3210

-Edwin Louis Cole

Nice work on the presses! Is that overhead, or bench?

I'm all about the bodyweight, these days. Check out startbodyweight.com for some awesome bw progressions. It's mostly strength oriented, but he's got some articles on program design and customization, too. Real quality stuff, and its all free (my favorite part).

Sorry, definitely should specify; it was all bench with the exception of slanted.  To be honest, I have never seen or heard of OHP until Staci's post and I definitely noticed that hole in my workout routines.  I would like to work the OHP into one of my existing workouts, but I am not sure what group activates the most or if I need to create a routine around the OHP; I think it would mostly fit in with my Back Attack as most of that routine is core and lower bock/legs while completely neglecting my upper back.

Free is always good in my book! definitely worth a look into if I find that Steve's workouts aren't all I want them to be either.

I am actually thinking of hitting the gym twice a week so that I can work more of my attacking workouts in. I don't think one per week and switching which group I attack is all that great for developing strength [cycle takes too long; 1x/month of each group].  I would plan to do something like Chest Attack on Teusday and Leg Destroyer on Thursday; next week Back Attack and Vert.  Nothing definitive on this plan yet but now I get those workouts 2x/month.

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

If you're only going to hit the gym once or twice a week, it might be worth combining days to make the most of it.  Splitting muscle groups by day is probably a more advanced technique than either of us need right now.  And given your commute, the more you get out of each gym visit, the more likely you are to actually go.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Yesterday I completed level 2 of the Angry Birds Workout; 3 stars on the squats; 2 stars on the push ups and inverted rows, and 3 stars on the plank. I was aiming for level 4, but muscle failure gave way; I may be pushing a bit too hard if I want to go 5 days nonstop. Unit PT went well today as I was able to actually move on the field playing mid and defense.

All in all, this week went pretty darn well considering that I have pushed myself harder than I meant to and probably should have.

Weekly Goals Completed:

Strength Training: 3/3 100% A

Aerobic Training: 2/2 100% A

Posts: 4/3 [not including introductory and Battle Log posts] 133% A [will only count as 100%]

Money: 1/1 100% A [Accomplished on 14 June 2014]

Overall Progress:

Strength Training: 3/18 16.67% F

Aerobic Training: 2/12 16.67% F

Money: 1/2 50% C

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

Ah ha ha ha it cannot be done!!

Best you can do is edit it to be a funny comment dude. Great job with the week if you feel like you were pushing a bit hard just make sure you don't fall off again and keep in the zone

Sent from my nokia 3210

-Edwin Louis Cole

I just needed a rest day, I am feeling pretty well today and ready to head into next week. Also payed off double minimum due on my student loan, post to be updated to reflect.

Schedule:

Monday- Gym Workout/Bodyweight T-sess

Tuesday - Running day [1.5 miles]

Wednesday - Gym Workout

Thursday - Swim Session/Bodyweight Abs

Friday - Unit PT/Running Day/Bodyweight Abs

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

I'm late to the party here, but I agree with Anim. Split routines have a whole degree of complexity that you probably don't need to worry about. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck by focussing your attention on whole body workouts, especially if your only getting to the gym once or twice a week.

Try to think "movement", rather than "body parts". Push, pull (both horizontal and vertical) and pretty much any kind of squat are ideal for building up your foundation of strength. After you're rocking that, you can use your attacks to target weak spots.

At least, that's what's worked for me, anyway. Check out my last challenge for details on how I workout (forth post, and next to last). I'm not saying it's perfect, but it might give you some ideas for streamlining your program. :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines