[Tech_Hunter] Getting back in the game - 4th challenge!

Oh wow, have I been gone a long time!  And it shows, I made a complete muck of everything.  I have not gained all of my weight back, but I have gone back to size 12 jeans, when last October I was getting into 8s!  Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

So, I am back because a huge part of my success in my journey was having to log on and report in.  I need you guys.  So here is my battle plan...

4th - 6 week challenge goal - to get back in the game!  I have slacked in diet, exercise, and everything in between.  I want to really kick it into high gear, because I will be traveling to my family's home in August and want to look darned good!

Mission 1:  to get my diet back in line, I am doing a Keto diet.  I have done it before, I know it works, and I am actually comfortable on it.  Not sure if I will do Lyle McDonald, I will read up on it in the next couple days, but it's going to be keto.

Mission 2:  Get back on the 3X/week weight lifting habit.  I was doing so well on this!  But, I had a lot of life stuff happen, and I let it get to me.  I am still dealing with quite a bit of stress, but it finally dawned on me that part of the stress was my actually not working out, because my weight training was the time I put my headphones in and had some alone time!

Mission 3:  Walk 2X/week.  At my peak last year, I was walking 3-4 times a week, 3-4 miles, and I enjoyed it because, again, I need alone time (A LOT of it!).  2X/week should be easy for me, it's so nice out.

I am not adding side quests right now, I just need to get back to where I was before trying to do everything.

I am so glad this site is here, and I can't wait to feel better!

• Like 2

Level 3 Pandaren Adventurer

“You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.†–A.A. Milne   (Thanks to magi192 for posting this!)

So, I am back because a huge part of my success in my journey was having to log on and report in.  I need you guys. 

We need each other.

Looks good; just make sure you listen to your body in terms of the amount of exercise you do.  Exercise 5x a week seems a bit high but if after 2 weeks you are feeling ok (and not really tired despite getting good sleep) then go for it!

Good luck and have fun :)

• Like 1

Hi Teros and xanjra, thanks!  

I am up to 2X week weights and really, the walking is just really nice for me to get away.  I have 6 people living in my house.  I, my husband, my 22 yo daughter with her 9 month old son, my just graduated from HS son, and my 16 yo daughter.  Even though everyone is really good, for me it is very stifling by the end of the day because I work at home.  Now that school is out, it will be a bit worse.  My oldest daughter is looking for a place to live in town (we are 30 miles from the closest town).  My son is looking for a job and would like to move out ASAP, and my youngest daughter is going to volunteer to counsel at a camp for 6 weeks this summer, starting Thursday.  So, everyone is trying to get out on their own, but it makes for a lot of home base work here.

I did my weights on and off over the winter but really cut down on the walking.  I'll start out with a couple miles each time and work my way up.  What really screwed me up was going from my 5X5 to 4X8-10.  I should have gone to higher weights and down to 3X5 sets.  I was trying to gain some bulk and my diet got out of hand.  I made some good gains at first, but got overwhelmed.  Instead of cutting back or going back to what worked, I kept stopping and starting.

I did my weights last Thursday and Saturday, was REALLY sore Fri and Sat, but did my second one anyways, and now am much better.  It always takes a couple weeks for the DOMS to regulate from "how will I sit down and get back up again" to minor discomfort. :P

I also started Keto last week, I figured I didn't have to wait until the start of the challenge.  Already my jeans are more comfortable.  Bloat is going down.  Right now it's my own Keto diet from before, but I still plan on reading Lyle McDonald.

I'll be doing weights Tues and Sat for sure, but Thurs I am taking my daughter to camp, a 6 hour round trip.  Not sure how that will pan out.  I should be back early enough to do it, I do my weights in the evening.

Tonight I am taking a walk, should be nice, it about 70 here.

• Like 1

“You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.†–A.A. Milne   (Thanks to magi192 for posting this!)

Welcome to the Dai-Gurren Brigade! They are an awesome group of people. Very supporting as well. :)

Seems like you're on your way to a successful challenge. :) Keep it up!

Also, subbing along. 

• Like 1

Major Respawn in Progress

Current

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 4.1 5 6

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

Sub'd!!

And I second lullaby.......A Big Welcome!!!! So glad you decided to join us! 

Awesome goals, and I completely understand what you mean about that workout time being YOUR time. Keeps me sane.  ;)

Now as is customary........  :D

JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK

WE ARE!?!!!

:triumphant: :triumphant:

• Like 1

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Welcome to the Brigade.

• Like 1

Level 2 Hawk Assassin

Str: 2, Dex: 1, Sta: 2, Con: 2, Wis: 4, Cha: 1

Challenges: Getting Going, 1, 2(Failed), 2.1(failed), 2.2(current)

Accountability:  The Dai-Gurren Brigade

Current Challenge Goal Progress:  Food Log(7/36), Exercise(5/24), Sleep Log(6/36), Meal Plan(1/21)

Battle Log

Fitocracy  MyFitnessPal  RunKeeper

“Believe the incredible and you can do the impossible†- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God? You are not your own; you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." - 1 Cor 6:19-20

Wow, thanks everyone!  And thank you Dai-Gurren Brigade for the warm welcome!

I has a really great Tuesday, I felt good.  I had a good walk in Monday afternoon with my daughter, she is training a 3 year old filly and saddled her, so we took her down the road.  I went to bed at 9:00 that night, and had a good night's sleep.  

Keto is going very well, I really love not being hungry, and the cravings going back on have stopped, thankfully.  Day four is always the worst, I want to just eat everything in sight, and it takes all of my logic to sit myself down and say no.

So yesterday, had a great day at work, got a lot done, which is unusual for Tuesdays, it always seems that I can never get people on the phone on that day of the week.  Got my meetings done, spent some time cleaning up my work space (I work at home, it's easy to have things pile up when other people use the space).

I had my lifting session yesterday evening, and felt very good.  I am maintaining my weight and reps right now, but will be starting to increase calories and lift weights at the end of this challenge.

So, I am sitting here with my coffee, ready to tear into a new day!  I'll be creeping on some logs and following in a bit!

• Like 2

Well, I has a crazy day today!  Yesterday went very well, I felt pretty awesome last night.  Food was on target and I was in town all evening for our church youth group.

Today, I worked in the morning, then took the afternoon to drive my daughter to our church's youth camp.  She is a counselor and worker for the next six weeks.  I think that it is going to be an awesome experience for her!  It took us 2.5 hours to get to the town, we spent all of 20 minutes in the mall for her to buy a swimsuit (she is such a mall goer! :D), we had coffee, and then I dropped her off and drove 2.5 hours home.  Fed all the animals and then did my lifting!  I just did my first carb refeed ever and I am feeling a bit stuffed....hope this helps me, I did a non-grain refeed and kept the sugar out.

So, had a good day for diet and exercise, and am going to watch some Doctor Who with the husband before crashing!

• Like 2

Doctor Who! :wub: Which season?

Oh, question on the grain-free carb refeed: what are your go-to carbs if you avoid grains? Legumes? Potatoes / sweet potatoes? Corn? Something else entirely?

I'm curious, because the FC is thinking of upping his carb intake in the near future, too, but he's wary of grains as well. He's thinking legumes at the moment, but I'd love to hear about other folks' preferences.

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

We seem to have a similar pattern, so definitely sub'ing along for support.  Kick ass!  I love your new approach to workouts and walks being your "me time," seems like a very positive approach.  I often eat badly and get lazy in response to stress, we have that in common.  I love the idea of getting into the happy of making healthy choices the stress response.  "What a day, I think I will go lift heavy stuff."  love it!  I am curious on the grain-free carbs too.  I tend to lean toward beans and sweet potatoes.

• Like 1

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

Doctor Who! :wub: Which season?

Oh, question on the grain-free carb refeed: what are your go-to carbs if you avoid grains? Legumes? Potatoes / sweet potatoes? Corn? Something else entirely?

I'm curious, because the FC is thinking of upping his carb intake in the near future, too, but he's wary of grains as well. He's thinking legumes at the moment, but I'd love to hear about other folks' preferences.

We are at the last episode of season 3 now.  Trying to get to Matt Smith, my daughter loves him!

I used sweet potato, I will get about 200-220 g carbs in 1 meal (I did not finish it, need to spread it out a bit, but it was night time), that seems to work for me.  I get the worst migraines when I eat wheat!  I am going to experiment with lentils and steel cut oatmeal in the future, I'll let you know how it goes!  I have a thing for lentils and Jalfrezi, and oatmeal is just too easy to give up on!

My refeed was 5 ounces of grilled chicken with about 1/2 tsp of olive oil, sweet potato with a couple dabs of butter and cinnamon, and a really nice salad with homemade "honey" mustard (stevia).  The dressing was probably more fat than I should have had at that particular meal, but it was good, and I didn't feel horrible the next day.

• Like 1

We seem to have a similar pattern, so definitely sub'ing along for support.  Kick ass!  I love your new approach to workouts and walks being your "me time," seems like a very positive approach.  I often eat badly and get lazy in response to stress, we have that in common.  I love the idea of getting into the happy of making healthy choices the stress response.  "What a day, I think I will go lift heavy stuff."  love it!  I am curious on the grain-free carbs too.  I tend to lean toward beans and sweet potatoes.

Exactly!  When I used to stress out, my go-to for comfort was eating a bag of chips in front of the computer.....for days.  It always makes me feel worse, and I am logical enough to combat that with some self talk.  I was pretty stressed out this week because of work, and yesterday it rained ALL DAY!  I could have just plopped myself in front of the computer all day and blown my diet, but I just started doing little things around the house to make me feel better.  I did take a nap, because I got a pretty bad night's sleep the night before, but after doing a few things, I thought, "Well, I AM going to do my last day of weights today, I just had a refeed two days ago and I will feel awesome if I finish the week out with 3 lifting sessions." 

What I like about lifting when stressed is that I spend the whole time in beast mode, my lifts are always on point or higher, and I am more likely to try getting a few more reps in the last set, just to make myself feel like I can do anything!  :playful:

I only walked once so far this week, but today I am going into town, it is my town day (I live 30 miles out), so I do church and grocery shopping, which is a lot of walking.  Also taking care of my grandson!  :redface:

• Like 1

Thank you for the info on your extra carbs! :)

Sweet potatoes are already on the FC's menu, he's also experimenting with oats (porridge), though he doesn't seem to be able to eat much of that before he feels a bit queasy. :( So he's thinking of increasing the amount of red lentils or kidney beans (he seems to tolerate those two better than other kinds of legumes). Funny how everyone reacts differently to certain foods!

• Like 1

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

So, I have had a good couple of days.  Yesterday though, I kind of wanted to eat my arm off!

I've stayed on track with my meals, have the keto thing going on.  I am doing 4 days on keto and then a "cheat" meal that 4th day evening, then 4 more days on keto then a refeed in the 4th evening, and it seems to keep me in check.  Both meals are after weight lifting, so hopefully those calories go to good use!

My 1st weight session of the week was today and my squats seemed to be a bit stronger, I added a couple reps to the last couple sets.  But the planks.....well, my abs can just go in a corner and screw themselves...they were really hard today!

Today was my cheat meal evening, and I was very happy because it coincided with my 20th wedding anniversary, so I went with my husband to Qdoba.  It just opened, and Helena Montana is not exactly a hub of cuisine.  I had three corn shell tacos and some corn chips and salsa.  It was really, really good!  We then proceeded to Home Depot to look at doorknobs and garbage cans, because that is just how cool we are!  :playful:

• Like 2

Great job with staying on track with your meals so far! Woo!

Sounds like you kicked ass when it came to the squats! As for the planks, well, if they where hard THIS time, just go back and show 'em how much more bad-ass you are next time :tyrannosaurus:

And hooray for having fun on your anniversary :D

Oh, and because I haven't done this yet...

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: WELCOME TO THE DAI-GURREN BRIGADE!!! :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Glad to have you on board :pride:

Now, let's go kick week two's ass!!!

[ Battle Log: - THE LEGEND OF WILL - ]

Spoiler

"I can change the future!"

- Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles

"I still don't know what I should do. What [he's] doing isn't for his own gain. He walks the path he believes in, one step at a time. Wishing only for the happiness of those around him. I, on the other hand... I thought I didn't have a path that I could take laid out before me. But like he said, that's just running away. I must find my own path."

- Fei from Xenogears

"A life of adventure awaits those with the courage to step beyond their comfort zones."

- Hylian Dan from The Philosophy of The Wind Waker

Thanks Forkboy and Will!

Happy happy Friday to me and everyone!!  I am so happy that week is over!

I got my second lifting in yesterday, and added a couple reps to the last couple squat sets, so YAY!  Planks are still kicking my butt, though, oh well.

I haven't weighed or measured, but I did squeeze into my size 10 jeans today, so YAY again!  I either want them VERY loose by end of summer, or I want to be  out of them completely and comfortably in my size 8s.  My 8's were a reward for myself last fall, they are Wrangler's Q-Baby jeans and they are so comfy.  Good to ride in, too.

It has rained EVERY darned day this week.  I should not complaining, I thought that we were going to have a bad fire season, so this really squashes that.  I did get 3 walks in the drizzle though.  We were watching a neighbor's dog, so I took Miss Crazy Pants out in the evening.

Food has been on point but VERY boring this week.  I have a refeed tomorrow and I actually went shopping in preparation for it!  Never did that before.  I got a sweet potato, some steel cut oatmeal, and some gluten free bread that I will be making into homemade croutons for my salad.  I have a real thing for awesome salads, so usually cheat meals center around some massive everything but the kitchen sink monstrosity salad.  :redface-new:

I have my third lifting tomorrow, I was thinking of having some protein before, then oatmeal after and eating the carbs over 5 hours.

Everyone have a great weekend!

• Like 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines