snark sneaks back

snark

Hi all,

I did some challenges last summer while working away from home and basically living in a hotel room. I didn't create a great transition plan for myself, obviously--I went on a trip, got engaged(!) and then went home and just didn't keep up the habits I had built, between being in a new environment and having other stuff on my mind. On the plus side, eating well and exercising are quite a bit easier in my own home, so I haven't been a complete slob, but I haven't been super consistent and obviously haven't been active. 

This is basically a longish way of saying that my main goal for this challenge is just that I'd like to get back to consistent healthy routines.

I am getting married at the end of June, so this is kind of a weird time to pick up something new, but I realized recently that I have been putting off A LOT of stuff for "after the wedding". Some of that stuff is reasonable to put off for a time when I'm not stressed or decision-fatigued, but working on my health is silly to delay for any reason. I will have the "going on a trip" problem again starting July 16, but that will get me almost through the six weeks of this challenge, and I can figure out how to handle that closer to the time. Because of all that, I'm going to keep it pretty simple and hopefully get some great momentum for future challenges.

Goal 1:

Drink 80 ounces of water each day.

I am pretty good about drinking water, but I'm not super consistent, so this seems like a perfect fit for my overall goal. 

I have a 16-oz insulated camelbak bottle with me basically all of the time, so I just need to fill it five times each day and then empty that into my belly. I also occasionally drink herbal tea at work, which I will count, but coffee/milk/beer don't count. (I think those are all of the beverages I drink normally.)

Grading: A: 40-42 days, B: 37-39 days, C: 35-36 days, F: <35 days (missing a week total)

Goal 2:

Stick with the program.

This is where I get a bit silly. I have been entranced by the idea of parallettes and GMB's P1 program since around this time last year, and I have kept promising myself that I would get myself some parallettes and the P1 program when I reach [insert fitness goal here]. I have finally come to the realization that I should probably try the thing I am excited about! So in a leap of silliness/wisdom, I bought myself some parallettes and P1. I am not sure right now whether my wimpy arms and core are up to P1 or whether I need to start with the included conditioning program--likely the latter, but I will determine this tomorrow morning. Either way, sticking with the program will involve doing scheduled workouts (3/week for P1 or 2/week for conditioning) and doing warmup/cooldown even on off days. So, consistency again. :) I'm not sure how this will work out with the trip in mid-July but that's something I can deal with at the time (like by just doing some bodyweight stuff while I'm on the road or being crazy and taking the p-bars with me?)

Grading: A - 12 conditioning sessions (2/week) + daily warmup/cooldown (30); B - miss up to three warmup/cooldowns (but not two in a row); C - miss up to five warmup/cooldowns or two in a row; F - <12 conditioning sessions, miss more than five warmup/cooldown or more than two in a row. I think there is enough built-in flexibility in the 2/week conditioning sessions that I should be pretty serious with myself about getting all 12 in.

CHANGE OF PLANS 6/15:

My wrist started acting up seemingly out of nowhere last week, so I am changing things up to stay off of it this challenge.

Revised challenge: 3 days/week Neila Rey workouts. I made myself a schedule with Bacon, Power Up and Blade Runner workouts, since those all avoid exercises where you put a lot of bodyweight on hands. Planks practice each workout day (total 1 min until I reach that in one go, then 2 min, etc). Warm up (mobility) and cooldown (stretches) every day. All geared toward getting me back to consistent routines, and hopefully I will be in good shape to get on the parallettes after my honeymoon!

Grading: A - 13-14 workouts, daily plank/warmup/cooldown; B - miss up to three plank/warmup/cooldowns (not two in a row); C - miss up to five or two in a row, or two workout sessions; F - miss more than two workout sessions, more than five warmup/cooldowns or more than two in a row. 

Goal 3:

Go for a walk every work day.

This is a habit I've been trying to build for a while. I tend to be at least moderately active on weekends, but I need to put in more of an effort to get away from my desk during the day. Minimum to count for a walk is getting to the end of the boardwalk thingie (I know what that means, I just really want something defined). 

Grading: I don't know how many work days I will have total, so I think I'll grade each week and then see where I stand at the end: A - every day, B - missed one, F - missed more than one

Point: 1 STA/1 WIS

I'm going to skip extra/life goals this time (unless "don't kill my future mother-in-law" counts?) and just try to get back in the groove, as I said. Thanks for reading!

• Like 2

Level 4 Adventurer

STR 6 | DEX 2 | STA 6 | CON 8 | WIS 10 | CHA 5

current challenge

third challenge | second challenge | first challenge

SNARK!  Hey, how's it going?  I built my last challenge on the mantra that Consistency>Intensity  and it worked out pretty well. I'm doing something similar with my challenge this time too.

Good luck and have fun :)

Haha, as I thought, my wimpy arms and soft body could use the conditioning, which also just happens to be a 6-week program. Basically destiny. (My hands could clearly also use a more gradual intro to the p-bars, so they are good with this option. :) )

The conditioning program involves two training sessions per week, so I will aim for Mondays and Thursdays, and I will do the warmup and cooldown routines on other days. That doesn't feel like very much, but I can trust the program and also think this is a great plan for the consistency I'm aiming for.

Level 4 Adventurer

current challenge

Congrats on getting engaged!

Looking forward to seeing a wedding photo.

M x

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

STR - 1 / DEX - 1 / STA - 8 / CON - 9 / WIS - 6 / CHA - 4

Challenge - 1 (Rebel) Challenge - 2 (Adventurer) Challenge - 3 (Adventurer)

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

'Rule #1 - Cardio.  Zombies lead a very active life style; so should you.'  Zombieland.

Thanks for the congrats, you two, and good to see you, Primeval! :)

We had a pre-wedding bash with our friends yesterday (a joint bbq, basically instead of bachelor/ette parties), and it was absurdly fun. We had a really weird time when we first got together where we didn't really have any local friends, but we have found an amazing group through craft beer. Preparing for our wedding has really helped me recognize all of the love and support from this little community we've developed. I'm just really happy. :)

We did have some out of town friends staying in our spare bedroom, which is my workout spot, and I am in less-than-ideal shape this morning, so this week will be Tuesday-Friday on the conditioning workouts. Warmup/cooldown were doable, though. Other goals are pending, since it's still morning here.

Good luck to everyone on this first day!

Level 4 Adventurer

current challenge

Day 1:

Water - yup. Currently working my way through bottle #5, so I will get my 80oz before I go to bed. Woo!

Workout - yup. As I said this morning, I am shifting to a Tuesda/Friday schedule this week for the workout das. I did my warmup/cooldown this morning as prescribed.

Walk - yup. Did the pier walk today. I'd like to set myself a consistent appointment, but I have meetings at different times each day. I hope this isn't an issue, but if I have trouble remembering, I guess I will do that and then just fix any conflicts each week.

I didn't realize until I was typing this up that my challenge is three Ws. Wicked.

Level 4 Adventurer

current challenge

Glad to see you're doing well, Snark.  Hope you continue to do well.

Toomine:

My sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-lvF5Bg_Y7cKxFjnL9xL3gJmlaXo1EjxeKhyKly4yyo/edit#gid=0

its possible that we can our dreams. yes it is. other people have done,  we can do it. I've failied alot of times, well, alot of people failed, and eventually,  they came back and they succeeded. so its possible that we can have what we want. -les brown

Motivation is like excercise: its recommended daily.

You got a dream,  you got to protect it. people can't do something themselves they want to tell you you can do it. You want some,  GO GET IT. period.

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!  I totally think not killing a mother-in-law can count as an extra goal!  Plus, I love that you have a specific place with your walking to let you know you've done a satisfactory amount.  I just have a time in mind, but I may contemplate a location as well.

Go team Breakthrough!

Emmevee

S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent, Level 4

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 6 | CON 12 | WIS 14 | CHA 11

Comparison is the thief of joy.

A man can accomplish anything when he realizes he's a part of something bigger. ~ Nick Fury

Challenge One - Complete!

Challenge Two - Complete!

Challenge Three - Complete!

My goal weight is 80 lbs less than where I started.  I started at 219 on 10/13/13 and today (7/20/14) I'm at 160!  Which means I'm

73.5%
73.5%

of the way there!

Thanks, guys! I was definitely thinking of skipping the mini-challenge this week because of the whole wedding thing screwing with my availability, but I'm definitely already glad that I didn't! Yay Breakthrough!

Yesterday was great, I did my first conditioning workout with the parallettes and am definitely sore in some new places on my back and shoulders this morning.

Water - yup, filled my water bottle at least six times.

Workout - yup, I'm definitely a weakling and have a long way to go with my form, but I'm just so pumped by having this new toy to play with.

Walk - yup, got my butt out there and walked the pier.

• Like 1

Level 4 Adventurer

current challenge

Not killing future in-laws definitely counts!

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: Keeps on Moving

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 62

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Thanks for the encouraging comments, all!

Yesterday, my right wrist started hurting out of nowhere (seriously out of nowhere--I was getting dressed in the morning and then noticed that it was hurting in certain positions). I was hoping it was just a fluke but it feels about the same today, so I think I need to stay off of my hands for at least a few days, which means no parallettes action. I'm annoyed, especially since it's not clear what I did to it, but I'll keep doing what I'm doing with the warmups/cooldowns and figure out some kind of lower body exercises to work in instead for my scheduled workout tomorrow and Monday (and going forward, if needed). Ugh.

Anyway, for yesterday:

Water: yup.

Workout: yup. (This was before my wrist was hurting, just warmup/cooldown, and it felt fine afterwards for at least a half hour...)

Walk: yup, right before lunch.

Today is looking good so far, too, other than grumpiness about my dumb wrist. :)

• Like 1

Level 4 Adventurer

current challenge

Yeah, I'm almost certain that it's from some combination of awkward keyboarding/mousing and sleeping on it weird, because those are really the main cruel things I do to my wrists, and it's not swollen or anything. I slept in a brace to try to avoid doing messed up stuff to it (and either making it worse or waking myself up), and that at least didn't seem to hurt, so I'll keep that up and see what happens, I guess.

I'd like to say that I'll try to go see someone if it's not feeling better in a week, but in reality that will probably wait until after our wedding at the end of the month, unless it actually gets worse.

Thanks for the good wishes!

Also, today's goal results:

Water: Drinking #5 right now!

Workout: yup, warmed up and stretched.

Walk: yup, plus got a buddy to come along, so I got the bonus of chatting with a coworker who has been doing fieldwork for the past week.

Level 4 Adventurer

current challenge

Looking like it's going great for you! Except the wrist of course.... Looks like you're doing wonderfully at working around it! Hopefully it stops hurting soon and on its own.

Jerem The Great

Level 0 Satyr. Warrior at heart, training with the Recruits
STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0 

This morning, I just did a bunch of bodyweight squats because I didn't really plan ahead and was basically really grumpy about my wrist--it seems like it's getting better, but not rapidly. I will evaluate more carefully after the weekend, but I am thinking that my best option at this point is probably to abandon ship and to come up with a different workout plan for this challenge that avoids putting a bunch of strain on my wrist. Otherwise, I will probably just be grumpy every time I have to "substitute" and also am concerned that I really will screw up my wrist by deciding it's fine to go for it way too soon. I'm thinking I will assemble some combo of lower-body and core focused Neila Rey workouts (thanks Primeval) and continue with mobility/stretching stuff on off days. This will still get me on the right track of being consistent again (other than the part where I am changing my program a week in...), and I can certainly stand to get stronger in all of the places.

Level 4 Adventurer

current challenge

Nice, that sounds awesome, Tateman!

Today was fine.

Water: Yup, drank it.

Workout: I guess. I did my warmup and cooldown, with some bodyweight squats in there. Today was meant to be a workout day but was just sort of blah because of my wrist, but I did do something despite being a grumpypants, so I will count that as sticking with the program. This time.

Walk: Yup, walked.

Like I said before, I started making a new workout plan, and I'll decide for sure on Sunday what I'm going to do. I am going to my sister's graduation tomorrow, so tomorrow and Sunday will be traveling days. I'll make sure to get my water in and will do my warmup/cooldown stuff. Tomorrow will be awkward, I might end up doing that stuff in the airport. Related to that, I'm likely offline until Sunday.

Also, Feowyn's posts in the Breakthrough! team thread led me to decide to add an unofficial life goal--I added a spot on my workout tracking spreadsheet for something I'm grateful for each day. I don't want to add another thing I MUST do each day, but I like having the reminder to think about it.

• Like 1

Level 4 Adventurer

current challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines