MidknytOwl and her journey to lands unknown...

Introduction:  I’m Midknyt and this is my first challenge.  I busted my knees last year (torn MCL in my left and symmetrical meniscus tears in both) and ended up going from doing 10-15 hours of kung fu a week to barely being able to walk for six months.  Throw in a couple of other life issues I was dealing with, and the fact I had just pre-injury lost thirty pounds with the low calorie, high cardio mix that I know isn’t so great now, and bam – I gained 70 pounds in a about a year.  (Currently 20 pounds heavier than my heaviest ever in 2004.)  At this weight I can finally understand how people get to weigh so much they can’t get out of bed anymore; it’s uncomfortable and sometimes painful to move and I can’t do the things I like anymore.  Or find clothes.  Or shoes.  Or sit comfortably at a restaurant booth.  Or comfortably do any outdoor recreation.  You get the point.

Main Quest:  Get down to 232 pounds

The 230s was the weight I easily stayed at before, and while not what I would ideally want to be forever, I could run 5ks, hike 11 miles non-stop, etc at that weight.  From where I am right now, that’s a happy place and not so dauntingly high of an amount to lose (and where most of my clothes will fit again!).  When I get there, I’ll re-evaluate.  (I also would prefer something more reliable than weight as a measurement, like body fat percentage, but at this weight/percentage I’m out of the range of my meter, so we’ll go with weight this challenge.)  I'm currently ranging between 270 and 275 right now.

Quest 1: Eat out no more than three times a week, making as healthy options as possible while doing so

I’ve realized in addition to the physical limitations I’ve gotten really bad at eating out and I think that’s a big contributor and why I haven’t lost any weight in months.  I’m going with three times a week because I have two standing weekly social obligations that take place at restaurants, so it’ll allow me to still do that and allow for something else that will come up.  I also tend to do the all or nothing thing when eating out (I’m eating out anyway…may as well have the chicken fingers and potato skins since it won't be as healthy as eating at home!), so trying to make reasonable choices instead of a free-for-all as well.

Quest 2: Weight train at least three times a week

I’m ridiculously out of shape, and it aligns with the other goals.  Plus my legs are probably the weakest they’ve ever been thanks to the injuries last year.

Quest 3: Do some form of outdoor recreation/exercise at least once a week

I’ve become quite the hermit in the last year.  I’m a Park Ranger, and my job used to include a lot of outdoor time and hiking, so I didn’t do it as often on my days off because I was outside all the time anyway.  Now my job’s transitioned to almost solely desk work and I just don’t go outside anymore.  I’m self-conscious about how out of shape I am and that keeps me from going out and doing things at the reduced level I’m at, but one of the reasons I’m doing this is so I can do outdoor things again.  I think getting out weekly, whether a hike, biking, or swimming, will help keep me motivated and remind me what I’m doing this for.

Life Quest: Find a new job or other alternative

This job is killing me.  It’s everything I was supposed to be escaping by entering this field; now I’m pushing a desk without the benefit of being paid what I would have if I picked a cubicle career to begin with.  There’s no perks anymore, and it trickles down to everything else, making me too tired to go to the gym and super stressed all the time.  Something’s got to change.

Race: Dwarf

No brainer.  For one, I’m 4’10â€, and even at my lightest I’m not someone you’d be able to toss. ;)  I’m naturally a good bit of muscle under a varying layer of fat and will never be a skinny girl.  (Which I’m completely fine with, actually.  I’d rather be strong than be able to be thrown over someone’s shoulder.)

Also, I’m actually a dwarf in real life – I have dwarfism, I’m just very tall and in proportion.  Plus my middle name is Moriah, pronounced like the Dwarven mines.  I mean, it’s all there.  (Well, minus the facial hair, thank the gods.)

Profession: Hmm…

I’m thinking between Ranger and Warrior right now.  I’ve always prided myself in my strength (like picking up my PE teacher in the fourth grade), which makes me think Warrior, but that sounds a bit like all you can do is heavy and nothing else.  I want to be able to go on backpacking trips…while being able to carry a heavier load than the guys a foot taller than me.  We’ll see.  :)

• Like 5

Dwarven...Something

Level 2

STR 3 | DEX 1 STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3 

First Challenge  (with awesome Before and After video)

Welcome to NF MidknytOwl.  We're thrilled to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your injury.  It's always awful when our bodies fail us because we sometimes push them too hard.  It also sounds to me like it has taken quite a toll on your psyche and not just on you physically.  I hope that getting out even just a little bit will help with that.  Recovering from injury is always hard.

You might notice I added a few tags to your thread.  I added the warriors and rangers tag because you mentioned that you're considering joining either of them and I'd certainly like you to catch the eye of their ambassadors so that they can give you support, advice and encouragement you might need. The warriors aren't all about lifting heavy either (even though that is a strong focus of theirs) so don't be afraid to check them out.  I have tagged the Monks, because you had karate as a discipline before your injury and although you don't mention what led to your injury, I do think that one of them might be able to assist you with advice on your recovery. You don't have to wait for any of the ambassadors to come visit you either.  You are more than welcome to pop into their general chat threads and introduce yourself to them.

Good luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Midknyt the Dwarven Ranger sounds good to me. :)

Knee injuries can be tricky things, but as my friend ChristArtist said when she broke her foot and had it in a boot, 'I can still use my arms.' Dumbbells, kettlebells, wall pushups, whatever can be done without aggrevating your injuries are fair game. 

Pop into the Ranger Hall and ask for ideas, I know several people who, like ChristArtist, are working out around their injuries. I fully believe that you will be as successful as they are. Dwarves are to stubborn to let things like sore knees slow them down. 

While you are learning the ropes here on the forums check out Blaidd's L1 Guidebook, it has most of the basics of setting up your challenge there. Most of us are willing to help as we can, I will drop by later in the challenge to see how you are going.

Now get out your trusty warhammer and pound this challenge to the ground. 

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Thanks guys.  I'm filled with warm fuzzies for being so welcomed already. <3

My knees are actually all healed up - 9 weeks in a Leg Brace o' Doom that went from just below my crotch to under my foot was just enough he didn't have to reconstruct.  I had the double knee surgery to fix the meniscus tears just about a year ago, then did physical therapy and have the doctor's all clear (well, as clear as I'm ever going to get)...I just got so out of shape, weak, and heavy from the whole thing that it kept spiraling down to where I am today.  (And now I have a pretty decent case of plantar fasciitis, partly from spending those 9 weeks walking on a plastic plate, that's definitely not helping.)

I get really nervous with any kind of knee pain (understandably), and my range of motion isn't great, so things like squats are just body weight or the bar for now until I get more comfortable and flexible, which makes me sad because my legs were always my strongest part.  I think the muscles are still decent, but the joints need to be strengthened more first.

I didn't look at Monks because the knee doctor said no more kung fu.  Ever.  :(  (Kung fu was how I tore both menisci, though the MCL was from my first time snowboarding.  Maybe I shouldn't be working on being able to go back to doing more activities!)  He said I'm a little knock-kneed and am more prone to injury doing certain activities as a result.  I also never had a single knee trouble until I started kung fu, and tore the first meniscus a month in (though didn't know that was what it was and kept doing it until I tore my other meniscus a year and a half later...where I kept doing it as much as pain allowed, until I tore the MCL on the mountain.  You might be on to something with the dwarven stubbornness thing.)

I definitely get in my head a lot now, and even cried from frustration and embarrassment at the gym with a friend the other day while trying to do lunges.  We all have to start somewhere though.  Hopefully this will help me get some of my self-confidence back too. :)

• Like 1

Dwarven...Something

Level 2

So...IT'S WORKING.

I know the challenge doesn't start until Monday, but I had actually started the eating out no more than 3x/week last Monday (the 2nd).

I had just gone to the doctor to get lab results, and found I didn't have a thyroid condition.  Which I know is a good thing really, but super frustrating since I have several symptoms and it would have magically explained the 70 pound gain and why I haven't lost any weight even though I've been "eating well" for months.  

The good part was it was a bit of a reality slap - I could no longer use the possibility I had a thyroid condition as an excuse as I had been - obviously I wasn't losing weight because of my thyroid, not because of the fact I actually eat out a lot more than I realize and make way too many exceptions.  No matter how amazingly healthily I eat at home, it's not going to counter Raising Cane's.  (Which I unfortunately live around the corner from.  Damn you, cruel world!)

So I limited.  I hit my three times Tuesday night thanks to a day trip to Zion that went long and required two restaurant visits instead of one.

And Friday night I turned down going out to dinner with my friend because I had hit my max for the week.  Which was hard to do and felt weird, but I figured I had to draw the line somewhere.  (Also, vast personal improvement, since in the past I would have been "eh, the challenge starts Monday, I don't have to meet that goal this week since it doesn't really count.")

Out of curiosity, I weighed myself this morning.  I've bounced between 271 and 275 since...December, I think.  This morning?

268.4!!!

One week of actively pushing it and I've done more than five months of half-assing it.

Needless to say, I'm incredibly excited for what the challenge might bring.  I might actually hit my goal and then some this year after all! :D

(Now if the doctor can just figure out why I get so cold my teeth chatter while under three comforters in 68 degrees, we'll be golden...)

• Like 2

Dwarven...Something

Level 2

Wow! I want to say that I admire your dedication. Starting the challenge early and even turning down your friends for dinner are both amazing things. 

Keep it up and you'll see even more progress! You're doing great. :-)

Level  2 Gnome -who wants to be a Mermaid- Ranger

STR 5 | DEX | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Challenges:  1 |  Current Challenge: Arya Sapphire and the Majora's Mask

''Be brave enough to live life creatively. The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition.'' - Alan Alda

Aw, thanks!

I was kind of impressed with myself, truth be told.  Eating out has always been a severe weak point of mine, and it really doesn't help that it's often social.  (The friend is the person I went to Zion with, so it helped that it wasn't someone I hadn't seen in a while.)  

It just seemed like it would be better to keep up the momentum while I have it then to stop and restart and possibly be struggling.

Tonight I'm going to a potluck and I'm bringing Cobb Salad so I know there's something healthy I can eat...we'll see how that goes!  

Dwarven...Something

Level 2

Awesome goals! Also, if you DO want to find a new job and need help with resume building/job searching/interviewing and the like shoot me a PM :) I work in HR and am getting my Masters in it as well, so resume stuff is kinda my thing- most people dislike/hate it but I can't get enough of it and if you wanted some help/advice in the area I'd love to help :D 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Day two update:

Started off the challenge properly yesterday...by not going to the gym and going out to eat. :/

It was for a good cause though!  My hetero-lifemate got offered a new job and wanted to go out to dinner to celebrate.  He hates his current job about as much as I do (we're coworkers, go figure), as well as living in the desert, so I couldn't say no to celebrating a new job he'll love doing that moves him to the California coastline.

But, that's partly why I gave myself the extra time to eat out each week, for things that pop up like that.  I'm still within my quest limits.  Just thought it was a funny thing to do Day One.

Today I did go to the gym, for the first time in months, and I'm happy to report I wasn't self-conscious, an unexpected and happy surprise.  I think it was the aura of NF surrounding me that did it. ;)

I also did the deepest squats I've done post-surgery!  I harassed a guy to record them, since I was so excited I was hitting a 90 degree angle finally.  I also figured it would be a good before/after thing for the challenge.

post-29765-0-46510000-1402446445_thumb.p

I also have a job interview (!) a week from Friday, so the life quest is coming along too. :)

• Like 2

Dwarven...Something

Level 2

Thanks. :)

I do have questions, actually.  I have perfectionist tendencies, so I've found I over research and then don't necessarily get out and do.  ('Cause I'm a nerd like that.)

What I did today was pretty much the five exercise routine found here - today I did squats, hip raises, bench press, inverse body weight row (if you can call it that, since I was practically upright), and planks.  I'm also throwing periodization into the mix, so it was only 3 sets of 12-15 reps each, 90 seconds rest, as the Prep phase.

I liked that it was easy to follow, straight-forward and simple, and quick - in and out of the gym in an hour, including warm up.  However it felt kind of...wimpy?  I mean, the prep phase will anyway, but it's just five exercises.  Part of my brain is wondering if it's sufficient or not.

I figure it can work for this challenge and then go from there, but that was more just me telling myself that so I would get out the door with a definitive plan of what to do!  

When I was working out with my ex a few months ago I was just following his lead, and we would do the different muscle groups, 1-2 exercises, 4-5 sets with pyramiding, in an upper/lower body split, though we didn't lift with enough regularity that we really hard to worry about it.  The lower body days weren't terrible, but the upper body took forever.  After chest, back, and shoulders, we were dragging through biceps and actually had to leave once before triceps because we were dying.  

I was trying to avoid that this time around, since obviously something's wrong in there, and I did.  However, like I said, it doesn't seem like it would work well beyond the beginner level either.  Any suggestions, either on what I did today or how to make what I was doing before not take so long?  I'm not well experienced in lifting, I just dabble in the lingo. :)

Dwarven...Something

Level 2

Thanks. :)

I do have questions, actually.  I have perfectionist tendencies, so I've found I over research and then don't necessarily get out and do.  ('Cause I'm a nerd like that.)

What I did today was pretty much the five exercise routine found here - today I did squats, hip raises, bench press, inverse body weight row (if you can call it that, since I was practically upright), and planks.  I'm also throwing periodization into the mix, so it was only 3 sets of 12-15 reps each, 90 seconds rest, as the Prep phase.

I liked that it was easy to follow, straight-forward and simple, and quick - in and out of the gym in an hour, including warm up.  However it felt kind of...wimpy?  I mean, the prep phase will anyway, but it's just five exercises.  Part of my brain is wondering if it's sufficient or not.

I figure it can work for this challenge and then go from there, but that was more just me telling myself that so I would get out the door with a definitive plan of what to do!  

When I was working out with my ex a few months ago I was just following his lead, and we would do the different muscle groups, 1-2 exercises, 4-5 sets with pyramiding, in an upper/lower body split, though we didn't lift with enough regularity that we really hard to worry about it.  The lower body days weren't terrible, but the upper body took forever.  After chest, back, and shoulders, we were dragging through biceps and actually had to leave once before triceps because we were dying.  

I was trying to avoid that this time around, since obviously something's wrong in there, and I did.  However, like I said, it doesn't seem like it would work well beyond the beginner level either.  Any suggestions, either on what I did today or how to make what I was doing before not take so long?  I'm not well experienced in lifting, I just dabble in the lingo. :)

I started with Strong Lifts 7 months ago.  It is a very easy to follow program, with 5 lifts; squats, bench, dead lifts, barbell rows, and overhead press.  There are loads of women on here either doing the program now, or have done the program in the past.  It starts with just the bar on all but two of those, and it is a great way to get strong.  Google Strong Lifts 5x5, and feel free to drop by the programming thread in the powerlifting and weightlifting board.  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/204-programming/  Let me know if I can help in any way.  :)

Read this over on the newbies general discussion thread.

Posted Today, 12:03 AM

Well, I'm not going to meet one of my goals this week, and I'm sad a perfect run is off the table so soon.  :( I wanted to weight train three times a week, and I started off great with a nice whole body thing on Tuesday...

...yeah. Not weight training for months + squats = sad Midknyt. Better today, but still pretty sore.

I figure if I can't go up and down a flight of stairs like a normal human, my newbie legs needed more recuperation. I think I really would have gone otherwise though, which is something I suppose. 

I'll also get less sore over time, right? Right?? :/ 

The answer to your question is YES, it will get better.  If possible, and believe me, I know just how sore you are, try to get back in there and give i a go.  I remember after my first day of squats, I hurt so freaking bad, it hurt to walk upstairs, and sitting down on the toilet hurt.  My butt, thighs, everything was sore.  But it felt better by the end of the week, and i never looked back.  Check out this thread, which is evidence of my soreness when I started.  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38897-first-day-of-5x5/  

Now go get back on that horse under that bar!  ;)
  • Like 1

Week One Report:

Quest 1: Eat out no more than three times a week, making as healthy options as possible while doing so

Report: Above and beyond!  I didn't make 100% healthy choices when going out to the Japanese buffet (had to have some shrimp tempura), but didn't go crazy either (only had one lightly loaded plate and a bowl of ramen).  I also only ate out two times this week instead of the three I'm allowed.  Go me!

Report: Mostly successful.  I only went twice, though the reason I missed out on a session was due to epic soreness in my legs (yay DOMS) that didn't go away for four days.  I didn't think about that as a possibility, but I haven't lifted in months, so it's understandable.  I also was able to hit a 90 degree angle in the squats, which I haven't been able to do since knee surgery last year, so victory on that front. 

Report: Successful!  I went swimming this week, the only activity I could muster with the leg pain.  (I thought it would help the soreness.  It didn't.)  Swimming was one of the things I mentally had in my outdoor recreation list anyway though, so success.

Report: Making great strides - I have an interview for an awesome job on Friday!  I've kind of put applying for others on the back burner to see how the interview goes, and then I'll be back into it.

So how does that translate to my main quest?

Report: I lost two pounds!!!  Down to 266.8 this morning, as well as an inch off my tummy.  :D

Week 2 outlook:

I have to modify my quests for this week because they are going to be impossible - I'll be traveling and not at home for three days, so unless I only eat once a day, the eating out three times a week isn't going to happen.  (It's also why I tried to eat out less this week, to kind of even it out.)  It's also going to hamper how often I can weight train.

So, my modified goals for week 2 only:

Quest 1:  Eat from home as much as humanly possible before and after trip.  While eating during trip, make choices as close to what would be eaten at home when possible.  Have no more than two meals of in-between food choices.  (I'm going to be on the coast...if I can't have clam chowder and fish and chips while I'm there, then life isn't really worth living.  It's a special situation anyway.) 

Quest 2: Weight train at least twice, with either a third weight training if possible or 30 minutes of walking.  

Quest 3: I should be able to squeeze that in, actually.  No changes.

• Like 3

Dwarven...Something

Level 2

Week One Report:

Report: Above and beyond!  I didn't make 100% healthy choices when going out to the Japanese buffet (had to have some shrimp tempura), but didn't go crazy either (only had one lightly loaded plate and a bowl of ramen).  I also only ate out two times this week instead of the three I'm allowed.  Go me!

Report: Mostly successful.  I only went twice, though the reason I missed out on a session was due to epic soreness in my legs (yay DOMS) that didn't go away for four days.  I didn't think about that as a possibility, but I haven't lifted in months, so it's understandable.  I also was able to hit a 90 degree angle in the squats, which I haven't been able to do since knee surgery last year, so victory on that front. 

Report: Successful!  I went swimming this week, the only activity I could muster with the leg pain.  (I thought it would help the soreness.  It didn't.)  Swimming was one of the things I mentally had in my outdoor recreation list anyway though, so success.

Report: Making great strides - I have an interview for an awesome job on Friday!  I've kind of put applying for others on the back burner to see how the interview goes, and then I'll be back into it.

So how does that translate to my main quest?

Report: I lost two pounds!!!  Down to 266.8 this morning, as well as an inch off my tummy.   :D

Week 2 outlook:

I have to modify my quests for this week because they are going to be impossible - I'll be traveling and not at home for three days, so unless I only eat once a day, the eating out three times a week isn't going to happen.  (It's also why I tried to eat out less this week, to kind of even it out.)  It's also going to hamper how often I can weight train.

So, my modified goals for week 2 only:

Quest 1:  Eat from home as much as humanly possible before and after trip.  While eating during trip, make choices as close to what would be eaten at home when possible.  Have no more than two meals of in-between food choices.  (I'm going to be on the coast...if I can't have clam chowder and fish and chips while I'm there, then life isn't really worth living.  It's a special situation anyway.) 

Quest 2: Weight train at least twice, with either a third weight training if possible or 30 minutes of walking.  

Quest 3: I should be able to squeeze that in, actually.  No changes.

AHHHH congrats!!! Sounds like you kicked the first weeks butt, keep it up :D 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

That was an excellent first week! You really rocked it! 

I totally understand how difficult it can to juggle with crazy schedules and have close to no options for healthy takeouts. Good luck. I know you'll make good decisions and enjoy that fish and chips because It's okay to have some - moderation is key. ;)

Let us know how week 2 goes along! And congrats on the squat!!

''Be brave enough to live life creatively. The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition.'' - Alan Alda

Nice job on week 1!!  Sounds like you are rocking this challenge!  I agree with Super D. on the muscle soreness:  it's pretty rough for the first few days, but it will eventually start to go down.  And then, you'll be crushing iron and never looking back.  :)

Good luck with your goals!!

--Card

- Level 3 Night Elf Warrior -

6'0" / 166 lbs.  Powerlifting Total:  940

Member:  The 800 Club

Battle Log

Week Two Report:

tutoriales-404-error.png

:)

Yeah, I don't know what to do about the last week.  I had two little trips and spent 4 of the 7 nights not at home.  I slept in three different states this week!  

So, just a weird summary for a weird week:

The Bad:

• I didn't weight train at all.  I could have snuck a little in, but didn't want to because I was worried about having DOMS again.  It's one thing to barely be able to walk around at work, it's another when you're trying to convince someone to hire you and are already self-conscious they might think you're too fat for the job (it does involve hiking and all) and you're limping.  I didn't want to risk not being 100% mobile for my interview, not to mention how much it would suck walking around doing tourist things too.  Then I was too exhausted when I got back to do it.
  • I didn't eat well, and it was a mix of eating not quite so healthy and not eating at all.  I ate only twice a day three days in a row, due to travel, nerves, and logistical issues, and not all of those times were enough food to be classified as meals. (Side rant: I really wish there were more healthy alternatives when I'm out and about.  I could have eaten Cheetos all day no matter where I was, but something without processed crap in it?  Hah!) Plus I never got my clam chowder or fish and chips. :(
  • I was pretty dehydrated the entire week too.  I get a lot of my water during meals, which weren't happening anyway, and didn't have my water bottle on the trip, so water consumption was way down.
  • My rental car broke down!  Thankfully after the interview, but that really messed things up too and derailed a couple of things.
  • Sleep deprivation.  I've actually slept half of today away and I don't care.  (I fell asleep while waiting at a light last night.  I is tired.)

The Good:

• I didn't eat any fast food!  (One of the reasons I ended up only eating twice a day on my trip.  I figured not eating was a lesser evil than the fast food.)  I've now gone a full month without any fast food - the longest in my adult life except when living abroad.  I also haven't had soda in a full month either, which might be the longest in my adult life ever.
  • My interview went really well!  I should find out if I made the next round by the end of the week, so keep your fingers crossed.
  • My dress pants fit again!  I wore them for an interview in mid-May and had to do some finagling to get and keep them zipped (the idiotic side zipper did not aid this cause).  This time, they zipped without any problem. :)
  • I did a lot of outdoor exercise.  I went bike riding at Zion and walked around four different parks and downtown in California, plus went swimming once, so while I didn't weight train I still got some exercise in.
  • I got to see baby goats.  That's always a good time.

So, overall, I think we'll just chalk this week up to being an oddball.  I could have done a little better, but I could have done a lot worse, and I don't think the added stress from trying to do better would have aided me at all, honestly.  

Now it's a new week, back to the goals as originally listed and being back on track.  Expect good things next report! :)

• Like 3

Dwarven...Something

Level 2

The Good part made me smile a lot. So many victories! I know you had some adversity during your week, but I think the good weights even more than the rest. 1 month without fast food is in-cre-di-ble! And baby goats, oh my. Baby goats just win every prize in the world. :P 

Fingers crossed for your interview and please do rest a little- you will need it for this awesome week that's coming up! 

Here's to week 3 being filled with workouts, good food and SLEEP. Isn't sleep the best? ;P 

Week Two Report:

tutoriales-404-error.png

:)

Yeah, I don't know what to do about the last week.  I had two little trips and spent 4 of the 7 nights not at home.  I slept in three different states this week!  

So, just a weird summary for a weird week:

The Bad:

• I didn't weight train at all.  I could have snuck a little in, but didn't want to because I was worried about having DOMS again.  It's one thing to barely be able to walk around at work, it's another when you're trying to convince someone to hire you and are already self-conscious they might think you're too fat for the job (it does involve hiking and all) and you're limping.  I didn't want to risk not being 100% mobile for my interview, not to mention how much it would suck walking around doing tourist things too.  Then I was too exhausted when I got back to do it.
  • I didn't eat well, and it was a mix of eating not quite so healthy and not eating at all.  I ate only twice a day three days in a row, due to travel, nerves, and logistical issues, and not all of those times were enough food to be classified as meals. (Side rant: I really wish there were more healthy alternatives when I'm out and about.  I could have eaten Cheetos all day no matter where I was, but something without processed crap in it?  Hah!) Plus I never got my clam chowder or fish and chips. :(
  • I was pretty dehydrated the entire week too.  I get a lot of my water during meals, which weren't happening anyway, and didn't have my water bottle on the trip, so water consumption was way down.
  • My rental car broke down!  Thankfully after the interview, but that really messed things up too and derailed a couple of things.
  • Sleep deprivation.  I've actually slept half of today away and I don't care.  (I fell asleep while waiting at a light last night.  I is tired.)

The Good:

• I didn't eat any fast food!  (One of the reasons I ended up only eating twice a day on my trip.  I figured not eating was a lesser evil than the fast food.)  I've now gone a full month without any fast food - the longest in my adult life except when living abroad.  I also haven't had soda in a full month either, which might be the longest in my adult life ever.
  • My interview went really well!  I should find out if I made the next round by the end of the week, so keep your fingers crossed.
  • My dress pants fit again!  I wore them for an interview in mid-May and had to do some finagling to get and keep them zipped (the idiotic side zipper did not aid this cause).  This time, they zipped without any problem. :)
  • I did a lot of outdoor exercise.  I went bike riding at Zion and walked around four different parks and downtown in California, plus went swimming once, so while I didn't weight train I still got some exercise in.
  • I got to see baby goats.  That's always a good time.

So, overall, I think we'll just chalk this week up to being an oddball.  I could have done a little better, but I could have done a lot worse, and I don't think the added stress from trying to do better would have aided me at all, honestly.  

Now it's a new week, back to the goals as originally listed and being back on track.  Expect good things next report! :)

Sounds like the good outweighed the bad!  Way to hang in there on a crazy week.  How has week 3 gone so far?  Got back to lifting?  (The DOMS will pass after a few days.  I hurt like hell for the first 5 days, but then it got much better)

Week Three Report:

Report: Success!  Actually, I want a little gold star too - last night, after going to the gym with my friend, he pulled into a Buffalo Wild Wings on the way home because he was "starving" and had to eat right away.  Now, I have a major weakness for chicken, especially chicken of a crunchy variety, but I was strong.  I didn't order anything, even though he asked three times, and while he was eating them when we got back to his place I ate my trail mix.  Didn't even take a bite!  Now that's some impressive new willpower I didn't have a month or so ago. :)  Also, once I started munching my trail mix I didn't even feel depressed or deprived or anything.  Booyah.

Report: Success!  (Finally!)  Also happy to report no DOMS this week, possibly from adding a thorough 10 minutes of post-lifting stretching.  My abs were still pretty sore for lifting day #2 (not sure how to stretch those...), but I just did an easier, oblique ab thing instead that didn't involve the sore movements, which worked.  I figure there will probably have to be modifications here and there as I'm getting into functional shape and all.  

Report: Successful?  The purpose of this quest was to get me out of the house on my days off and to do the outdoor things I know I love, to kind of remind myself why I'm getting in shape anyway.  It was also a way to make sure I got some cardio in.  The thought was things like hiking, bike riding, swimming, etc.  The problem?  We're hitting 110s now, and it's already 90 outside at 8am.  So hiking isn't really in the cards unless I want to drive an hour+ to the mountains to hike one of two trails that match my fitness level but are mediocre in quality (which would feel more like punishment and less like fun, which was not the intent behind the quest).  I was swimming but the apartment complex was doing some maintenance on the pools last week, so that was out.  However, I think combined I accomplished the theory behind this quest to the week, if not to the letter.  I had some outdoor recreation time, albeit not exercise, going to the night outdoor theater at a state park to see Spamalot, which got me out of the house and outside (and hanging out with friends) on my day off.  Then Sunday night I went swimming, albeit indoors, with a friend, which covers the exercise part.  So I'm going to say successful.

Report: I lost another two pounds! :)  Down to 265.0 this morning, which is now 10 pounds down from my heaviest.  Measurements didn't really change though.  I'm hoping that by the end of this challenge or the start of the next one I've gotten down to a weight where my body fat analyzer will work again, since I prefer that over the scale.  

Report: Fail. I didn't get the job. :(  Well, I'm still looking for alternatives and thinking of options, but it feels like a fail right now.  They said it was extremely competitive and everyone was very impressive, blah, blah, blah.  I didn't really like the Bay Area anyway, to be truthful, so maybe it's a good thing.  I also didn't eat any ice cream or chocolate while moping after I found out, so that's a victory at least.  It's not over yet, just a hiccup.  My day will come!

Week 4 Outlook:

I think it will be a rocking successful week, possibly my first that won't have any fudging or caveats, assuming the pools open again.  I bump up the weights this week - I was doing a two week prep phase of higher reps and lighter weights, to ease back into weight training - so I'm a little concerned about DOMS rearing its ugly head again.  I've got to up the weight eventually though, so we'll just see how it goes.

Mid-Challenge Thoughts:

I'm feeling really good, actually.  I sometimes think I look a little smaller, but more importantly I feel a lot better.  I did planks on Saturday, which I haven't done since day 1, and last time I was barely able to hit my 30 second intervals, had my butt way in the air, a ton of difficulty keeping myself up.  Saturday it wasn't easy, but I had my butt down and tucked like it was supposed to be the whole time and could have gone longer intervals if I absolutely had to.  

I don't feel like I can't move and do things anymore, which was really weighing down on me (hah!) before.  Going to the gym has become kind of a habit, and I feel more confident in what I'm doing there, both intimidation wise and in confidence my body can do the things I ask it to do to some degree.  My taste buds are changing - I indulged and bought some kielbasa last week and couldn't finish it because it tasted too sweet, which was weird.  I've also gone 40 days now without fast food and it's not the temptation it was before.  Actually, a lot of the bad foods and things aren't the temptation they were before.  

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good so far, even if I haven't been 100% successful in my quests. :)

• Like 1

Dwarven...Something

Level 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines