TennisGeek's 2nd Set

TennisGeek

The main quest -

The best tennis player I can be. First, I beat everyone in the tennis club.

There is a town tennis torny (Arlington Tennis Open), and I'm going to play.

That's July 11th. I'd like to do well in it.

Last challenge was a fail. I think

Goals

1. Stronger

Strength training 3 times a week. Full score is 18.

I need to keep the training simple however, because my priorities are life, tennis, bike rides, and training.

I have to keep each session pretty short.

STR+3

2. Faster

I want to get faster with my bike ride.

The best way seems to be to time the morning commute to office.

My PR time from home to office is about 31.5 minutes, and I'd like to get under 30 minutes.

The distance from home to office is about 7.3 miles.

I'll keep track of every ride with Strava, and I'll post the time.

At the end of challenge, I'll score depending on the best time.

Scoring is one point per every 20 seconds improvement from 32 minutes, and 10 point is full score.

31:40 - 1, 31:20 - 2, 31:00 - 3, ...

So, the full score means 28:20.

This is going to be tough.

STA+3

3. Leaner

Obviously, not carrying extra fat helps playing tennis and bike ride.

Right now, my weight is about 162lb (I'm 5' 9") and body fat % is probably 17%ish.

The challenge is to hit the macros - carbs < 100g, protein > 150g.

Every day, I'll score the result of MFP.

Carbs < 100 - 1 point / day, Protein > 150 - 1 point / day.

EDIT: For smart goals - I will give my self 20% wiggle room to claim half point.

100 < Carbs < 120 - 0.5 point / day

150 > Protein > 120 - 0.5 point / day

EDIT2:

Full score is 78, not 84 however, as I need one cheat day/week to reset my metabolism.

So, it,s 84 - 6.

(I don't care the calories that much as I exercise a lot.)

CON+3

I want to do a life goal - becoming awesomer, but I cannot come up right now.

I'll post/update the goal, etc. in near future.

I'd also like to get back to spend more time with the NF forum. I was kind of disconnected last challenge and it did not help me motivated. I want to engage with more people here.

12713834495_af4df02cc1.jpg

Let's start the 2nd set in Ranger.

• Like 6

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.†– Steve Jobs, Stanford University, 2005

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. -- Wayne Gretzky

6Wks Challenges: #9, #8, #7, #6, #5#4#3, #2.5#2, #1

Match records MyFitnesspal Fitbit Runtastic Strava

Hooray! Another challenge!

I'm excited about the speed goal, because getting faster is a totally amazing feeling.

Also, I know it's a way off, but I totally want to know how you do in the tournament. The only tournament I've done in years was Boulderfest, and I came in second-last in all of Lethbridge. It was awesome.

Jothra

i | ii | iii | iv | v | vi | vii | viii

Hooray! Another challenge!

I'm excited about the speed goal, because getting faster is a totally amazing feeling.

Also, I know it's a way off, but I totally want to know how you do in the tournament. The only tournament I've done in years was Boulderfest, and I came in second-last in all of Lethbridge. It was awesome.

Only prob is that, when I walk into the office, my legs are tired, and I'm drenched in sweat.

I'm glad you fought the depression and are now back! :)

Sub'd!

Thanks. Swampling, you are the best. How are you able to keep up the upbeat-ness? So is Ash. 

I cannot do it day in and day out.

• Like 1

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.

I watched Sherapova vs Halep match. It lasted 3 hours with full speed running. It was physical.

BTW: Sherapova took 8 minutes bathroom break between 2nd and 3rd set and a commentator was complaining.

She wanted to change the sweaty dress. I don't blame her.

In any rate, these girls are fitter than me for sure. Sherapova and Halep get my respect for being able to play physical match for 3 hours.

Keep going with work like this and you'll be putting Nadal to shame for sheer physicality in no time.

No doubt. :P

Nadal and Djokovic are the two of fittest men on the planet.

I'm nowhere near.

During the challenge, I'd like to get under 160lb. Not much, but it's not easy.

• Like 3

Posted Image

I found another exercise park 5 miles away. So I biked to it.

-- TG

• Like 5

That exercise park looks like you could do some fun stuff there. I have no idea what, so you'll probably have to post some pictures of what people actually do with all the equipment. :D

Thanks. Swampling, you are the best. How are you able to keep up the upbeat-ness? So is Ash. 

I cannot do it day in and day out.

You know, the secret is that I'm not keeping that up day in and day out, either. ;) I have bad times like everybody else.

BUT. The NF forums are a kind of "happy place" for me - I find so much inspiration and awesomeness here every day. Everyone is working hard and doing their best to make their lives better, to level up in some way or other. Overcoming all kinds of obstacles. Doing things they maybe wouldn't have dreamed of doing before.

And because this is my happy place, I'd like to give some of that happiness back. :)

Of course there are times when life gets all "meh". At those times a very good and very patient friend usually gets a long and whiny PM from me. :D

• Like 2

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

That exercise park looks like you could do some fun stuff there. I have no idea what, so you'll probably have to post some pictures of what people actually do with all the equipment. :D

I did exercise and it was a nice day. Here is the link.

Bike ride to it was just about right warm up/cool down.

I followed the shortest route to it and it was hilly. 5.2 miles. So, I biked around back, 6.3 miles. I'm a wimp.

• Like 2

This is what I did today.  I'm proud!

• Like 3

I followed the shortest route to it and it was hilly. 5.2 miles. So, I biked around back, 6.3 miles. I'm a wimp.

There's nothing wimpy about taking an easier route on the way back. I do it whenever I'm in the Lethbridge / Diamond City area, because it makes the ride back infinitely more pleasant, even though it's a fair bit longer.

This is what I did today.  I'm proud!

Holy crap, congratulations! That is 11 more pull ups than my current recent PR.

Jothra

i | ii | iii | iv | v | vi | vii | viii

On separate note, dinner tonight was shaved beef + broccoli.

I might have made it a little too sweet. I'm liberal about flavoring, and not strict paleo.

I use sake / mirin / soy sauce / sesame seed oil, etc, though I use coconut and olive oil too.

I want my daughter to eat so I have a minor excuse.

14374683451_3f19ea35af_z.jpg

• Like 3

The broccoli/ beef looks awesome. Too many food posts today...  :rolleyes: lol

You know, the secret is that I'm not keeping that up day in and day out, either. ;) I have bad times like everybody else.

BUT. The NF forums are a kind of "happy place" for me - I find so much inspiration and awesomeness here every day. Everyone is working hard and doing their best to make their lives better, to level up in some way or other. Overcoming all kinds of obstacles. Doing things they maybe wouldn't have dreamed of doing before.

And because this is my happy place, I'd like to give some of that happiness back. :)

Of course there are times when life gets all "meh". At those times a very good and very patient friend usually gets a long and whiny PM from me. :D

Yep, ALL of what that wise lady just said.  ;)

Rock this challenge TG! I look forward to hearing how awesome you are going to do in that tournament! :triumphant:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

In about 2 weeks, I'm running a 5K - JPMC corp. challenge.

In the past, I ran under 40 minutes. Last 3 years, I didn't run because of knee problem and illness last year.

This year, it's going to be interesting. This is the first time that I asked size M T-shirt. It had been L.

Though I'm older, I'm fitter by far. I'm probably 25lbs lighter than any of past runs.

My left knee is still not that great so I am not sure of how fast I can go.

Since I hate running, I'll do a lot of cardio as the form of biking. I know it's different, but I cannot bring myself to running.

After the run, we head out to a pub. So, I basically run for beer. And, that's the reason to run. :P

• Like 5

Okay, so my dinner was a package of fromzon steamed clam from Trader Joe's. Along with Trader Joe's soy bean.

MFP says today's macros so far is 1,977 cals / carb 93 / fat 110 / protein 171.

I'll stay away from carbs and I'm going to score 2 points for the first day.

• Like 4

Steve's blog today about do something I suck at was great.

I was thinking about the life goal for awhile and it was a good timing to read it.

I know I want to be a better person. I want to be a better friend.

I've never been a good friend / person / family member, etc.

It's primary because I have some kind of attachment disorder or a shade of aspy.

When I came to the States, I was extra shy from that and also the language barrier.

I didn't speek English much and when you combine those two, I'm so used to isolate myself from the rest of world.

Being Japanese, the society is also very permissive of isolation. It's kind of built-in the social norm because everything people do in Japan is very formal and not much of intimate conversation going on.

So, it's easy to be isolated and be totally okay.

As a matter of fact, the word "OTAKU" comes from those socially awkward young boys unable to have any conversation.

OTAKUs call each other by just "YOU" and never know beyond that.

I think my life goal is to have more fun with people around me.

I do have some people who actually like me. So, I think the life goal this time is to have good time with them, and reach out to have good time with them.

I don't have any concrete plan but I think I'll engineer some plan for that.

• Like 4

I do have some people who actually like me. 

+1   ;)

• Like 2

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Well if your worried about your knee biking is definitely the way to go for cardio that shouldn't make things worse. Also for the run id recommend an elasticated knee brace they've helped me before.

That's a great life goal trying to be more outgoing. I think a lot of us could do the same sometimes.

Sent from my nokia 3210

Race: Undead Gnoll | Class: Ranger

[Level: 3 | STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 4 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 4 ]

Intro: And Breath.. Challenges: #1,#2,#3(FAIL),#4

You don't drown by falling in the water, you drown by staying there.

-Edwin Louis Cole

I thought I posted scores for yesterday, but I guess I didn't.

D1W1

Food:  2/14  (carb 100, Protein 193)

Exercise: 0.5/3

Bike speed: 3/10 (31:09)

D2W1

Food: 3.5/14 (Carb 104, Protein 156)

Exercise: 0.5/3

Bike speed: 3/10

Why I started the exercise from 0.5?

I decided 0.5 because I have DOMS from Sunday, and no way I can exercise on Monday.

Since a workout robbed a potential day for workout in the challenge, I gave myself half point for conpensation.

Esp. when the Sunday workout included pull up PR, I wanted to reward myself.

• Like 4

This is such an inspirational thread, looking forward to following your second set :)

Level 11 Human Ranger

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not."

"Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them."

CURRENT CHALLENGE   1 2 3  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   DAILY BATTLE LOG     MOTIVATION

(Inventory: Fire Flower)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #26

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines