Tough For Cancer First Challenge

Hi Everyone

I'm 31 years old and have my second Tough Mudder in just under six weeks! I've signed up for this challenge to provide extra motivation to get in shape for Tough Mudder and also because my training has stalled recently after I injured my sacroiliac joint last year.

My long-term goal is to get down to 14% body fat but my main quest for this 6 week challenge is to get down to 20% body fat (currently at 24%) by:

Eating clean three times a week
Running three times a week (including one hill sprint session)
Following a bodyweight strength training program three times a week

I'm aiming to eat a high protein, high healthy fat, low carb diet. Lots of veggies, good quality meat, nuts, oils, sweet potatoes etc. whilst keeping processed foods to a minimum.

For the cardio i'm going to be following a walk/run plan whilst I come back from injury. For the bodyweight I will be doing Paul Wade's Convict Conditioning programme.

Hoping that the gradual progression of the exercises and the fact they are bodyweight led means that my joints, tendons and lower back will become stronger and I will become less injury prone. Eventually I would like to be able to do a one arm pull up or a one arm handstand push-up but appreciate this could be years of hard work away!

Also planning on doing lots of Mark Sisson style "play" sessions including long walks in the countryside around me, getting out on my bike with my kids and training with the guys one night a week after work (hill sprints, running, calisthenics, kettle bells, sandbags, medicine balls etc.!). It's really important to me that my kids ( I have a little girl and a little boy) get to experience lots of family outdoor time.

• Like 2

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer
STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Life is full of misery, loneliness and suffering and it's all over much too soon - Woody Allen

My Challenges: Current Challenge, 1st Challenge

My Battle Log

welcome to NF Touch_for_cancer.  We're thrilled to have you.  You sound like you've got a good foundation going.  That Convict Conditioning can sometimes be a killer (it's the one i follow for my body weight workouts too). 

Good luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

welcome to NF Touch_for_cancer.  We're thrilled to have you.  You sound like you've got a good foundation going.  That Convict Conditioning can sometimes be a killer (it's the one i follow for my body weight workouts too). 

Good luck with your challenge

AB xx

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Hello!

I’m Hazard, an ambassador for the Assassin Guild.  With the Convict Conditioning bodyweight exercises you may have goals similar to many in our guild work on, and we’d love to help you reach your goals!

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, I'll happily assist you.  An easy way to get my attention is to use the quote button at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the forum setting turned on to alert me when somebody quotes me using that button, so it's a quick easy way to let me know you're talking to me. :)  You can also get in touch with me by posting on my own challenge topic or by using the forum private messenger system (the envelope button at the very top of the screen).

Here is a link to more information about the Assassin guild.

And here is a link to the Assassin phonebook with a list of various exercises/skills that guild members are working on for this challenge, as well as links to their challenge topics.

There are numerous other people in the Assassin’s guild who you can also get help from.  I recommend stopping by the Assassin's Den – a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introducing yourself.  You can always ask questions there too.

In any case, I’ll stop by from time to time to check in with you and offer support.  Good luck!

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Hello!

I’m Hazard, an ambassador for the Assassin Guild.  With the Convict Conditioning bodyweight exercises you may have goals similar to many in our guild work on, and we’d love to help you reach your goals!

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, I'll happily assist you.  An easy way to get my attention is to use the quote button at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the forum setting turned on to alert me when somebody quotes me using that button, so it's a quick easy way to let me know you're talking to me. :)  You can also get in touch with me by posting on my own challenge topic or by using the forum private messenger system (the envelope button at the very top of the screen).

And here is a link to the Assassin phonebook with a list of various exercises/skills that guild members are working on for this challenge, as well as links to their challenge topics.

There are numerous other people in the Assassin’s guild who you can also get help from.  I recommend stopping by the Assassin's Den – a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introducing yourself.  You can always ask questions there too.

In any case, I’ll stop by from time to time to check in with you and offer support.  Good luck!

Thanks Hazard. Took a look around the Assassins guid and the phonebook and very impressed with all the helpful info and fellow Nerds doing Convict Conditioning! Looks like I could be an Assassin in the making! Love your Taming The Dragon mini-challenge but sadly I'm more Robert Baratheon than Rhaegar Targaryen!!!

• Like 1

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

Life is full of misery, loneliness and suffering and it's all over much too soon - Woody Allen

My Battle Log

Hi TFC

I see you already met the nefarious company of assassins. I'm just saying hi on behalf of the scouts. We are mainly interested in getting our shoes muddy and scuffed in the shortest possible time. Bodyweight, yeah, we like that too, but running is really what butters our bap. I see you're doing a double-do on Tough Mudder. I think it's been a while since any of us did that but we've got some Spartan racers, Warrior Dashers (what? Sounds like a stroppy reindeer... oh well, you know what I mean, I'm sure) and lots of us are into trail running, mud runs, barefoot running as well as other stuff like swimming, biking, rowing. So, before you allow yourself to be led astray into a life of hired killings, maybe you'd like to have a look in on the Scout Tavern and see what's doing.

I tagged your thread with a couple of guild tags that seemed to be the most relevant ones. The tags are just so you can meet others with similar interests over the next few weeks, but of course the choice of guilds is up to you. If a the end of your Tough Mudder you decide to change your name to Rainbow Toast and go and knit yoghurt in a yurt somewhere you're more than welcome to sign on with the druids. 

Anyway, enjoy the challenge. Be seeing you!

*straps on vibrams*

*biffs off*

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Hi TFC

I see you already met the nefarious company of assassins. I'm just saying hi on behalf of the scouts. We are mainly interested in getting our shoes muddy and scuffed in the shortest possible time. Bodyweight, yeah, we like that too, but running is really what butters our bap. I see you're doing a double-do on Tough Mudder. I think it's been a while since any of us did that but we've got some Spartan racers, Warrior Dashers (what? Sounds like a stroppy reindeer... oh well, you know what I mean, I'm sure) and lots of us are into trail running, mud runs, barefoot running as well as other stuff like swimming, biking, rowing. So, before you allow yourself to be led astray into a life of hired killings, maybe you'd like to have a look in on the Scout Tavern and see what's doing.

I tagged your thread with a couple of guild tags that seemed to be the most relevant ones. The tags are just so you can meet others with similar interests over the next few weeks, but of course the choice of guilds is up to you. If a the end of your Tough Mudder you decide to change your name to Rainbow Toast and go and knit yoghurt in a yurt somewhere you're more than welcome to sign on with the druids. 

Anyway, enjoy the challenge. Be seeing you!

*straps on vibrams*

*biffs off*

Hi, thanks for the info on the Scouts! I absolutely love trail running and I live in a rural area so have plenty of favourite trails to get out on. And of course the Mud Runs :-) I'll be sure to check out the scout tavern over the next few days - looking forward to getting to know you guys :-)

• Like 1

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

My Battle Log

Ok!

Quick update on how it's going.

Slightly behind target but dropped 1.6 lbs last week so I have a bit of a head start coming in to the challenge!

On Monday my stats were:

184 lbs

22.4 % Body Fat

38 Inch Waist

So 2.4 % off my 20% body fat target for the end of the challenge.

I did a good 3 mile run on Monday at 8:30 minute mile pace which I was really pleased about at this is only slightly under last year's pre-injury race pace! Yesterday was Tough Mudder training with the guys which went like this:

1.5 mile warm up run

Shunt training (10 push-ups, 10 squats, 60 yard sprint, 9 push-ups, 9 squats, 60 yard sprint, 8 push ups.....you get the idea - all the way to zero!)

2 Circuits of sprints, monkey walks, plank, wall sit, jumping jacks, burpees (all done in the time it took the person sprinting to do 12 sprints of 30 yards)

"Push Up Hell" 12 reps of close, wide, normal, spider, clapping push-ups

Lunges - all the way round the football pitch without stopping.

Awesome session - good job today is rest day though!!

• Like 2

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

My Battle Log

Great start.

The other day, I hiked through a thunderstorm with my sister.  That would have been great Tough Mudder practise.

My trainers look so scruffy now!

M x

• Like 1

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

STR - 1 / DEX - 1 / STA - 8 / CON - 9 / WIS - 6 / CHA - 4

Challenge - 1 (Rebel) Challenge - 2 (Adventurer) Challenge - 3 (Adventurer)

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

'Rule #1 - Cardio.  Zombies lead a very active life style; so should you.'  Zombieland.

Hello!

Sorry to jump in your challenge thread but.... Hmmmm.....maybe I need to visit the assassins. I am sometimes struggling to get my workouts done due to the gym not being open until 6.30 am and I could start at 5.30. Body weight stuff interests me. I love pull ups and dips. I want to do a muscle up in a year.

I read your update TFC and that sounded intense but functional. I had never thought of doing a tough muddier before. Any links for a beginners intro to tough muddier training?

The Batman body weight workout looked awesome.

I saw this

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2009/09/15/every-man-should-be-able-to-save-his-own-life-5-fitness-benchmarks-a-man-must-master/

And maybe it will be my next challenge.

Good luck TFC

• Like 2

Sorry to jump in your challenge thread but.... Hmmmm.....maybe I need to visit the assassins. I am sometimes struggling to get my workouts done due to the gym not being open until 6.30 am and I could start at 5.30. Body weight stuff interests me. I love pull ups and dips. I want to do a muscle up in a year.

I read your update TFC and that sounded intense but functional. I had never thought of doing a tough muddier before. Any links for a beginners intro to tough muddier training?

The Batman body weight workout looked awesome.

I saw this

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2009/09/15/every-man-should-be-able-to-save-his-own-life-5-fitness-benchmarks-a-man-must-master/

And maybe it will be my next challenge.

Good luck TFC

Cheers Mate. I started with dumbbells last year but had to go down the body weight route for (I guess) similar reasons - injuries, lack of time, looking after the kids etc. Plus, I work freelance so I might not be in the same place all the time so I wanted something that could be done in a hotel room just as easily as it could in the gym. I tried Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym but that didn't really work for me as some of the exercises just couldn't be done at home (Swinging from the door handle by a towel?! Mrs T wouldn't appreciate me pulling the door of it's frame at 05:30 in the morning!).

So I settled on Convict Conditioning - well worth checking out. I went to the assassins guild as recommended by Hazard and they seem to have quite a few peeps doing it so I'm really tempted to sign up with them.  I also love my trail running and cycling though so the scouts also appeal! If only there was some kind of assassins/scouts hybrid group.

You should definitely do a Tough Mudder! It's a great event to train for because you need to cope with the distance and have the functional strength for the obstacles. Outside Online has some great Tough Mudder articles:

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/endurance-training/The-Top-10-Tough-Mudder-Tips.html

Good luck with your challenge!

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

My Battle Log

Ok, so today is my birthday, the world cup has started and the sun is shining!

None of these things are conducive to my completing my challenge - especially the clean eating bit!!

I'm having a cheat meal tonight (It is my birthday right?!) but I've stocked the fridge with non-alcoholic beers (v.low cal) and gin and tonic so at least if I do have a drink the damage will, hopefully, be kept to a minimum.

Beyond that it's Glastonbury and then Sonisphere over the next few weeks so my plan is going to be severely tested. BUT I can still run and get up and do bodyweight exercises, even at a music festival right?

It's going to be a testing few weeks...........

• Like 3

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

My Battle Log

Belated happy birthday! How was it?

What's the damage? Lol

Thanks for the link. I tried the 'you are your own gym'. It was ok....but I thInk I should go towards more body weight stuff. Might be better for my back.

I have a little boy and I haven't trained this week yet as eArly as I wanted. I will check out convict conditioning. I keep hearing a lot about it!

SpeK soon TFC

Wolfie

• Like 1

None of these things are conducive to my completing my challenge - especially the clean eating bit!!

I'm having a cheat meal tonight (It is my birthday right?!) but I've stocked the fridge with non-alcoholic beers (v.low cal) and gin and tonic so at least if I do have a drink the damage will, hopefully, be kept to a minimum.

Beyond that it's Glastonbury and then Sonisphere over the next few weeks so my plan is going to be severely tested. BUT I can still run and get up and do bodyweight exercises, even at a music festival right?

Yea.  I find ways to fit in bodyweight workouts pretty much anywhere.  Back extensions on bleachers, running up and down stairs, calf-raises in place ... you can find ways to fit a workout in.

When I plan out my challenges, I give myself break days for those occasions ... like birthdays .... where food is part of the ritual of the day.  Enjoy it and then get right back on plan the next day!!

And .... Happy Birthday!!

wpid-auto-birthday-level-338175.jpeg

• Like 3

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Hope you had a great bday.

M x

• Like 1

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

STR - 1 / DEX - 1 / STA - 8 / CON - 9 / WIS - 6 / CHA - 4

Challenge - 1 (Rebel) Challenge - 2 (Adventurer) Challenge - 3 (Adventurer)

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

'Rule #1 - Cardio.  Zombies lead a very active life style; so should you.'  Zombieland.

Belated happy birthday! Hope the head is alright this morning. :)

Just checking in to sub your challenge. *stalk stalk stalk* :ph34r:

Thanks!

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

My Battle Log

Hi Guys (and Gals)

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! Had a great time and got a new road bike! I guess that's another tick in the 'reasons to join the scouts' box! Really looking forward to getting into my cycling, especially with the Tour De France round the corner. I am a little bit petrified of wobbling down A roads with traffic flying past me though - think I need to build up my confidence a bit. At the moment I have to take corners at high speeds so the momentum carriers me through - otherwise I'd fall off!

Any beginners tips from cyclists welcome :-)

So.....this week's training. It's going ok. Have to confess I've fallen back on my running (doing approx 4.5 miles 3-4 times a week) and haven't done a single Convict Conditioning workout yet. Not sure why but I'm really struggling to get going with it. 

I'm going to set the alarm early tomorrow and get up and get it done - need to get going and I'm sure once I have a feel for what the exercises are and what I need to do in a workout it will become much easier to incorporate into my routine.

Diet wise everything is going pretty-ay, pretty-ay good. Starting the day with quaker oats and lots of berries (blueberries, rasberries, etc.), big salad for lunch and meat and veggies for dinner. Nuts, fruit and tuna as snacks during the day.

So.....this week's stats (drum roll.....):

Weight: 181.6 lbs

Waist: 37 inches

Body Fat: 21%

Three weeks to go until Tough Mudder now so it's definitely getting to "squeaky bum time" as we like to say in the UK! Well some of us do. Sometimes.

• Like 2

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

My Battle Log

Hey, do you mind talking about your SI joint? I'm still rehabbing mine and I'm always looking for more exercises and stuff to do.

Hi Latniss

No, not at all :-)

I went out for a run last September and about 2.5 miles in I got a pain in my hip that got worse and worse until I had to slow down and hobble back to the car. The pain went away shortly afterwards but would flare up if I stood for too long, walked for more than 10 mins or ran at all.

My GP diagnosed it was my Sacroliliac and sent me to see a specialist who sent me for six weeks of physio. I didn't realise until I started working with the physio just how bad my back was - I could barely bend backwards, turn at the waist or lean forwards. I'd honestly never realised how little mobility I had.

The physio did some manipulations and freed up a lot of the movement in my back and gave me some exercises to do (lying on my back and pulling my knees in to my chest, lying on my back and swinging my knees out to the side etc.). She also got me doing hip raises and lots of core strength exercises.

After the six weeks the pain was still there although greatly lessened. I could run/walk again and started Tough Mudder training. What I found was that after a few weeks of Tough Mudder training which is very push-up heavy the pain just completely cleared up.

However I've really upped my running mileage recently and I've found that there's a slight nagging pain coming back so I should probably ease off again then build my mileage back up.

One thing I really struggle with is the mental side of the injury. I honestly have no idea how professional athletes cope with time on the sidelines - it must be soul destroying for them. I'd definitely like to read up more on the mental side of coping with injuries.

Sorry to waffle on - I can apparently type at the same speed I can waffle - hope some of this was of some interest!

• Like 1

Level 2 Assassin
Tough Mudder Legionaire

Dad Dancer

My Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines