Carsomyr gets back on the wagon

So, yes. I'm not exactly new here but I haven't been active for a looong time. I've competed one or two chalenges way in the past, started at least two I can rember that I jsut dropped out of. This time I'm going to do better. This time I also have a much better motivation to keep going, because its not just about me :)

One of the things which features in this challenge which I don't think I've ever mentioned on here is that I'm busy picking up Karate again. I actually have a 1st Dan Black Belt in Shotokan karate, but have not actively practised for about 12 years until I started up again in Janauary this year.

Starting physical stats:
Height: 190cm
Weight 91 kg
Rest to be completed later

So I know I'm not in terrible shape, but things could certainly get better

Main Quest: Get in better shape before I get married

I'm getting married on 16 August this year, so um, I'd actually like to
a) be consistently eating healthy before we move in together, so I don't have to adjust after she moves in
B) LGN, because well honeymoon and all ;)

So this is what the goals are aimed at achieving. I think that combining these three is acceptable given what I've accomplished in the past.
A new quest shall be selected once we return from honeymoon, but I will continue to follow this one after the challenge till the wedding

Goal 1: Execute PLP program without missing a day for the entire challenge

So I started with this yesterday (5 June), so I will be on PLP Day 5 when this challenge starts. I can still do a pull-up, so this should be doable. Should there be a day I don't get in all the reps it counts against my score just as much as if I had skipped the entire day.

A: No missed days
B: 1 or 2 missed or DNF days
C: 3 or 4 missed or DNF days
F : >4 missed days

Goal 2: Regularly attend karate classes

So our Karate lessons are twice a week, but the days I can attend aren't in our dedicated practice hall, so they sometimes get cancelled due to other things there. The goal here is to practice karate twice a week. So if a normal lesson is cancelled I either need to attend one of the other classes or train by myself for the full time the lesson would have been

A: No missed lessons
B: 1 missed lesson
C: 2 missed lessons
F: >2 missed lessons

Goal 3: Follow a low-carb diet

Diet make-up is going to be based on the 4-Hour body prescription, so low-carb, legumes allowed, no dairy. One cheat day per week will be allowed. 2 penalty points will be earned for the first non-diet allowed item on any day, with an additional 1 point for each additional item. This is designed to penalise cheating at all on day more heavily, but prevent the "Oh I already messed up, may as well have another"

A: 4 or less penalty points
B: 5-7 penalty points
C: 8-10 penalty points
F: More than 10 penalty points

Life Goal: Declutter my house

We are moving into my place after the wedding, so I won't be moving. But we do need to go from only me having stuff there to two of us. So this means seriously reconsidering what really belongs there.

Scoring is TBD, I need to think a bit more on how to score this.

Note: Attribute points for goals is still to be decided, will be updating that before monday.

• Like 1

Half-Ogre Monk Initiate

Level 0

My challenges : Level 1 Challenge

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination - Way of Kings

Welcome back!

I’m Hazard, an ambassador for the Assassin Guild.  With the karate you should definitely check out the Monks.  But with the PLP bodyweight exercises you certainly have have goals similar to many in our Assassin guild work on, and if you're interested we’d love to help you reach your goals!

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, I'll happily assist you.  An easy way to get my attention is to use the quote button at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the forum setting turned on to alert me when somebody quotes me using that button, so it's a quick easy way to let me know you're talking to me. :)  You can also get in touch with me by posting on my own challenge topic or by using the forum private messenger system (the envelope button at the very top of the screen).

Here is a link to more information about the Assassin guild.

And here is a link to the Assassin phonebook with a list of various exercises/skills that guild members are working on for this challenge, as well as links to their challenge topics.

There are numerous other people in the Assassin’s guild who you can also get help from.  I recommend stopping by the Assassin's Den – a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introducing yourself.  You can always ask questions there too.

In any case, I’ll stop by from time to time to check in with you and offer support.  Good luck!

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Welcome to NF Carsomyr.

I've just recently had my boyfriend move in with me too and we had to consolidate our stuff.  We landed up fighting over a toaster, which had me in hysterics, because really, a toaster. It's extremely stressful but at the same time, it's such a great feeling when it's over. 

You might notice that i've tagged your thread with a Monks' tag.  This is mainly so that one of their ambassadors would notice you, because of your getting back into karate and who better to encourage, support and advise you than them.  One of their fearless leaders, Kishi, is even doing a martial arts based PLP (called PUG) - i'm quite excited to see where it goes :D You don't have to wait for them to find you either, you can pop into their dojo and introduce yourself.

Good luck with you challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

You might notice that i've tagged your thread with a Monks' tag.  This is mainly so that one of their ambassadors would notice you, because of your getting back into karate and who better to encourage, support and advise you than them.  One of their fearless leaders, Kishi, is even doing a martial arts based PLP (called PUG) - i'm quite excited to see where it goes :D You don't have to wait for them to find you either, you can pop into their dojo and introduce yourself.

Thanks a lot, I'll look at popping in there as the martial arts are going to be the focus for now.

Good luck with this challenge, hope it works out this time :)

Thanks, appreciate it :)

Half-Ogre Monk Initiate

Level 0

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination - Way of Kings

So this morning is day 1, and it seems to be going well so far.

Day 5 of PLP (where I should be today) is completed, so things are going well on that front.

Food wise day has been off to a good start. Breakfast hasn't been an issue for months now, but managed to resists the rusks in the tea room while fetching coffee at work. Now to keep doing that for the next 6 weeks and beyond ...

• Like 1

Half-Ogre Monk Initiate

Level 0

Thanks for all the encouragement.

So flawless victory over food tempatation for yesterday, and PLP is on track with day 6 knocked out this morning. Actually surprised how quickly the pull-ups are improving even over the last few days.

Tonights going to be the first karate lesson for the challenge, so stay tuned :)

• Like 1

Half-Ogre Monk Initiate

Level 0

Hello Carsomyr, welcome to Nerdfitness!  You clearly found Shotokan's thread already.  Here's the Monk's Courtyard thread where we all hang out:  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/48856-the-courtyard-monks-general-chat-thread/

One of the guild leaders will be by shortly :-)

Thanks a lot.

So today was good, met all three goals so well on my way. Class tonight focused on learning kata, which is great cause they aren't very well set in my mind at the moment.

Hoping that carb cravings during the day get a bit better, because those are really terrible.

Going to try and get a bit of work in on my life goal now :)

• Like 1

Half-Ogre Monk Initiate

Level 0

Hola!

I'm Spauracchio, one of the four horses of the apocalypse Monks Guild Leaders. Every time anyone express interest in martial arts a massive group of monks reach out to say hello.

tumblr_mlyozzUt8Z1r1mr1po1_500.gif

We don't really have any cool links (Is the first order of business in the next meeting!) but if you want to see how we ninja-roll, just stop by the Monk's Challenge forum. If you like, you can stop by the general chat thread to say hello to people, and get a look at our challenges to see what kind of stuff we do. I personally recommend Kishi and Cheechoe's threads. (They're great!). 

10442911_10203996309326587_6817969384484

In the meantime, I'll be following you here in order to show support and encouragement, answer questions, and generally help you become a humble and honorable superstar.

Welcome and Good Luck on your challenge!

One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star.

Current Challenge

Nice, another Shotokan guy! Although, since you're a shodan, I should probably be calling you sensei, or at least sempai.

It always feels weird going up to Nerds who outrank me in my art and saying, "Hi! I'mma lead you!" But if you've got any questions or anything, it's like Spaur said: we're glad to help.

Heya Carsomyr!

Congrats on the wedding! So exciting! xD

Your goals look solid! Glad to see you renewing your passion for Karate. :) We have several Shotokan practitioners in the Monks. :)

Sounds like there are so many awesome changes going on in your life right now! If there was ever a time to finish a challenge, it's now! LET'S GET IT!! ;D

We don't really have any cool links (Is the first order of business in the next meeting!) but if you want to see how we ninja-roll, just stop by the Monk's Challenge forum. If you like, you can stop by the general chat thread to say hello to people, and get a look at our challenges to see what kind of stuff we do. I personally recommend Kishi and Cheechoe's threads. (They're great!). 

Thanks for the thread recommendations, adding a few should be great inspiration to keep going. As monks we are lucky enough that cool stuff we do and its demonstration is built into the martial arts we practice, so not having cool links shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Nice, another Shotokan guy! Although, since you're a shodan, I should probably be calling you sensei, or at least sempai.

It always feels weird going up to Nerds who outrank me in my art and saying, "Hi! I'mma lead you!" But if you've got any questions or anything, it's like Spaur said: we're glad to help.

At this point even people in our club calling me sensei or senpai feels really awkward, especially because some of them are currently in better form than me XD Really looking forward to the challenge and joining up with the rest of the monks more directly on the next one

Heya Carsomyr!

Congrats on the wedding! So exciting! xD

Your goals look solid! Glad to see you renewing your passion for Karate. :) We have several Shotokan practitioners in the Monks. :)

Sounds like there are so many awesome changes going on in your life right now! If there was ever a time to finish a challenge, it's now! LET'S GET IT!! ;D

Getting going with karate has been a 'goal' for a few years now, but the new relationship seems to have kicked other things in my life into action as well. Which is actually really awesome :)

Morning is off to a good start with day 7 of PLP knocked out (Its now 7am here). Now to get food packed so that I don't have any excuses to indulge in stuff at work which is verboten.

Half-Ogre Monk Initiate

Level 0

Welcome,  Gratz on your soon Marriage!

Thanks.

Diet goals are going well so far, seems that the body is finally realising that no, it won't get any sweet carb treats and is beginning to behave itself better. Finally. I knew it owuld happen, since I've been on this level of carbs before, but nice that it didn't take too long.

PLP8 done for today. Was actually afraid that by the time I get here my hands would start getting really unhappy with the pull-ups, but that doesn't seem to be a problem yet. Hopefully it stays that way.

Looking forward to class tonight, and not anticipating any diet issues for ttoday. for some reason if I can make it through the morning without grabbing a random snack, getting through the afternoon seems easy.

• Like 1

Half-Ogre Monk Initiate

Level 0

Nice work with the diet and PLP.  If your hands are fine so far, you're likely gripping the bar correctly and it shouldn't be a problem.  Keep at it!

Thanks.

This week is going very well, so at leqast things are off to a good start.

Got in my second karate session for the week, even though there was a power outage. PLP9 done this morning, I think the volume is starting to make itself felt.

Diet was good so far for the week, no slips. Still need to watch myself for today,then can relax on diet tomorrow with a cheat day. After that I'll be back at watching food on sunday :)

Half-Ogre Monk Initiate

Level 0

You don't need power to punch people in the face. :)

Indeed you don't. Lack of light due to no power does make it more difficult to avoid getting punched in the face

So, updates. Um, yeah

Karate is all attented including tonights lesson. We did more fitness focused class, so completing PLP for today was NOT fun. But I'm still up to date with that as well with PLP13 being completed today. Woop.

Food related, eh, not so good. Friday = 2 Penalty points, Sunday = 4, Monday = 2, back on track today.

All those were pretty much during social gatherings, and it was a case of resist, resist, resist, cave in eventually. So it could have been a lot worse, but well work on it.

So exercise is going great so far, food needs a bit of work on weekends (we had a long weekend on Monday as well) but is going well during the week. I'm actually really proud of the during the week part :)

• Like 2

Half-Ogre Monk Initiate

Level 0

You should be proud! The week is the greater part. It's the place that needs the most discipline, because that's when all the stress is happening. Get it right more during the week, and the weekend... well, you shouldn't let it slide, but a lapse is within the acceptable margin of error.

Also, way to stick with PLP. I'm doing a form of it myself, and it's not always easy, but I always feel like I lack an excuse to get it done. Good times, good times. :)

This weekend should go a lot better, due to less visiting with famliy and other occasions. Still going to be a fun weekend though :)

PLP16 is underway for today, and I'm still up to date with the rest. I understand your feeling for the lack of excuse. If you did that many yesterday, surely just one more today is doable.

Diet since tuesday is solid, and Karate attendance is once more solid for the week.

Last night was conditioning drills together with form, so completing the last reps of my PLP afterwards was not exxactly fun, but strangely liberating to still do them with being tired.

Half-Ogre Monk Initiate

Level 0

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines