Skywalker Challenged

Skywalker

Main goal:

To do a "great walk" multi day hike. I have all but booked Milford track (NZ) in January. To do this hike 10 kg lighter than I am now.

Food - back to basics (I feel that's all I am ever doing)

After a successful low carb period I fell off the 'eating well' wagon so it's time to get back on (again).

1. Snack control

Plan - no white tea because white tea = bikkies

No after dinner snacks

Mindful afternoon snack (fruit, nuts etc)

(Week one: 3 x week

Week two: 5 x week

Week three-six: 7 x week)

2. Veggieful dinners

5 dinners with three or more vegies

Movement - keeping the momentum

Moooooovvvvvveeeee - after thinking about a fitbit for ages I have decided to downgrade to the app : Move. Aim for 10,000 steps but I am a loooong way off that.

Daily at least 3,000 steps with one day per week of 10,000 steps.

Plan: Dog walking - commit to taking the dog for three walks per week (sadly neglected dog)

(Week one: 3 x week

Week two: 5 x week

Week three-six: 7 x week)

Motivation - stress reduction.

I have always prided myself in not letting things bring me down but things have been crazy at work and to a lesser extent at home. I don't really have any great coping mechanism (other than planning holidays or eating crap and not prioritising exercise).

Plan: Journal - I have downloaded a journaling app. I will use this for 3 day per week. Try to be mindful about what is causing the stress and how I react to this.

Side challenge : pedal and don't fall off - move towards being more confident with "those" clipless pedals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

Scoring:

Snack Control

Week one: -/3

Keep the momentum

week one:

3,000 steps 0

10,000 steps 0

Stress reduction - Journalling

week one: 0

Scoring:

While my goals are doing things my scoring is going to be outcome related. This way my stats will increase with real progress. Monday is a public holiday (happy birthday to the Queen) so I will get some start of challenge metrics:

Weight loss goal = 3 kg so 1 con per kilo (3 CON)

Movement - 1,000 steps hike challenge (DEX)

Strength: push up challenge: start PB 9 full push-ups (STR)

Skywalker

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

Like your "great walk" multi-day hike goal!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Here is a photo grabbed from Google of the Milford track that I'm using as inspiration

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/18/travel/18explore.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

post-11622-14021521821199_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Skywalker

Here is a photo grabbed from Google of the Milford track that I'm using as inspiration http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/18/travel/18explore.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Beautiful and inspiring!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I took the boat cruise and flew over the top of that area because the track was knee deep in snow when I was on the South Island. It is so beautiful around there... Such a great thing to look forward to and motivate you!

Aussie Bush Ranger - Training with the Monks

'I'll fight but not surrender', cried the wild colonial... GRRL!

Project 365 - Becoming BatGirl

Current Challenge

I've never been to NZ but this is something I've wanted to do you many years. Hopefully I'll add a few weeks travelling. I've been looking at the Alps to Coast bike track but don't think I'll manage to add it in, maybe another goal

Skywalker

I've never been to NZ but this is something I've wanted to do you many years. Hopefully I'll add a few weeks travelling. I've been looking at the Alps to Coast bike track but don't think I'll manage to add it in, maybe another goal

Yeah... It's an amazing little country! So much awesome packed into such a tiny area (well it does appear they had to squash it up a bit vertically to fit it all in - cheats). You won't have enough time. You will go back. I spent a year and a day there and still didn't get everything I wanted done.

Just don't miss the glaciers... They are something else!

Current Challenge

What an exciting adventure.Looking forward to hearing about the hike. 

Why no white tea? That is just so sad. I love white tea. Don't tell me if there is some health hazard, I think I'll remain ignorant

Wisdom- 13 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

Whoo walking!  I like how simple your goals are - it will turn into mind blowing volcano success!  

WALK ALL THE WAY TO THE SKYYYYYYY

LEVEL ONE APPRENTICE WIZARD RANGER: HUMAN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

Tumblr of VERY INTERESTING ART: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/radicalwizardtimes

Maybe add in a Hobbit based distance challenge sometime to get you to Mordor... http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/23/walking/ (Of course you may not get to Mordor - Tongariro National Park - but you could look at these locations for inspiration http://www.newzealand.com/au/feature/the-hobbit-trilogy-filming-locations/)

Current Challenge

The no white tea is because I love to dunk a Monte Carlo or two with each cup. Biscuits (cookies) are one of my real downfalls especially because they are so readily available at work where I am stress eating. Peppermint tea doesn't invite bikky dunking.

I would love to spend most of January in NZ but I have some serious $$ limitations which will either be better or considerably worse by the end of the year.

I have kept this challenge simple - I tend to want to do everything but I need to make things work. To that end I'm adjusting my challenge to take into account that the first two weeks I am time poor. I'm going to aim for 3 x week one and 5 x week two for my steps and snacking goals. Week 3-5 are term break so I should be able to ramp everything up.

Skywalker

Progress:

Monday -

no unhealthy snacks

Veggies: salad lunch/ cauliflower bolognaise -pass

Steps: 6,000 ish

Journaling:yes

Tuesday -not so good

Snacking = not good

Vegies - meh (salad for lunch, chips for dinner :()

Steps:< 1,000

Journalling:yes

Still in a busy period at work and didn't get out for a walk at lunch and got home too late for a real dinner. This is when I decided I should cut myself a little bit of short term slack and aim for three good days this week.

I've set myself a fitness challenge to look for improvement each challenge. These exercises aren't necessarily part of my weekly routine but will be used to measure improvements in fitness.

start of challenge:

Strength: Push ups = 29 knee push ups in 1 min / 9 full push-ups ordinary form no time limit

endurance: completed the 1,000 steps walk in 45 minutes with three rest stops

post-11622-14024040993868_thumb.jpg

Skywalker

IMPROVEMENT IS POWER.  CONTINUE TO IMPROVE YOUR LIFE. JAZZ HANDS.

Achievements Unlocked:  Breakfast Warrior, Pushupapalooza, Quadruple Nanomaster, Return From the Dead, Gainful Employment, Leap of Faith, Minimalism Game, Get Thee Behind Me, Coffee, Camp Nerd Fitness 2015, Return From the Dead 2: The Undeadening, Gainful Employment 2: Boss Edition, Fancy Comics Person, Rogue Hair

1000 steps! I am too chicken to even try it... Although I'm told there is a way to walk around and down rather than go down the steps (which hurt my knee worse than upwards). Go you!

School are seriously nuts at the moment (she says whilst procrastinating writing only one class of reports)! Do what you can to get to the break with your head held high.

Great start!

Current Challenge

Wednesday:

Snacking - still not on track

Steps - < 1000 :(

Journaling - yes

I did leave work almost on time and did my PT session

Dinner - veggieful thanks to my son cramming plenty of vegies into a curry.

Thursday:

Snacks - a little better but still not good

Steps - < 1000 :(

Journalling - yes

Dinner was a huge bowl of vegies with some left over curry sauce

I am being a lot more mindful and need to knuckle down. The key is to bring more healthy snacks and at least go for a walk at lunch. (Maybe tomorrow I'll combine these two tasks)

I've been tracking food and entering planned meals in the day before which is my aim but not a measurable goal and I am finding it is helping with being mindful.

I've got a big bike ride booked for the weekend.

I haven't mentioned it here but after all of that procrastinating my cycling friends bought me click clack shoes for my BIG birthday (I acquired some SPD pedals earlier). I fell over the first ride but have managed to have a few successful rides since.

Skywalker

Ooohhhhhh .... pretty. I want to go to there!

Level 71 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

big bike ride!  Where and how far?

40km bike ride postponed until next weekend. It is with a faster group than I usually ride with (it's good to challenge yourself!?!)

I am considering riding in to work one day next week. It means I can't work back on that day so I need to be up to date. Not putting myself under too much pressure but I'd feel better if I get a ride in before next Saturday.

Friday I did the lunchtime walk for healthy snack so:

Steps: 6000

Snacks - generally good (better choices but still stress snacking, just on better food)

Journalling: yes

Mushroom, tomato egg for dinner so not as veggieful as it could have been.

Today - Saturday - not good

Steps: 2000

Journalling: yes

Ate too much fruit loaf/toast - now I feel sick :(

Need to control binging (I don't like to think of it as binge, but that is what it is).

I think i need to stay away from foods that I just can't leave alone until they are finished. (And maybe deal with things in my life that seem out of my control) :(

Skywalker

Ate too much fruit loaf/toast - now I feel sick :(

Need to control binging (I don't like to think of it as binge, but that is what it is).

I think i need to stay away from foods that I just can't leave alone until they are finished. (And maybe deal with things in my life that seem out of my control) :(

I know those feelings. The pizza for dinner doesn't... Because it's ALL GONE. I wish I had some answers or even decent advice but can only tell you that you are not alone. (If you find an answer, do let me know!)

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines