• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lil_Red_Devil

Lil_Red_Devil gets back to nature...

After 2 weeks of being laid up in my hut I was officially driven to new levels of boredom and insanity, culminated in an attempt to make speed-reading a sport.  Thankfully, the doctors gave me the all clear to start moving around shortly after that lapse in judgement, though I suspected that Bear had something to do with that.  Poor fellow tried his best to keep me entertained, bringing me games, books, and plenty of soft bedding to lie on, but I was never meant to stay indoors.  I lept at the chance for daily walks with Bear like a kid on the last slice of chocolate cake, and soon we were strolling for entire afternoons discussing everything from the blessedly beautiful weather to the on-going battles of my colleagues.  I felt incredibly guilty about not being able to help out, and began to see myself as rather useless.  My mood got gloomier by the day until finally my commander came to see me.  "Bear tells me you're getting restless."  I laughed, "That's putting it lightly!"  "Well then, I think I've got something that will be right up your alley..." and he began to lay out the workings of a new plan.  According to our scouts, the hedgehogs had begun circling around our training grounds and seemed to be monitoring our activities very closely.  The commander suspected this had contributed to the failure of any recent attempts to infiltrate the hedgehog dwellings.  Since hedgehogs can't see 2-dimensional images, the commander wanted to change all of our methods of training and communication to video and radio only.  While I wasn't thrilled at the thought of being seen on video in my current condition, the commander was adamant that I help with the training videos.  He even set up a top-secret video comm feed into my hut so that I could be involved in planning upcoming missions.  It was great to be back in the thick of things and hopefully, with Bear's gentle care, I'd be back in the trees in no time.

This challenge will include a fair few interesting days, including my first LARP event (my character is a stabby Ghillie dhu with a fondness for poisonous daggers......yeah), my birthday, and my official "congratulations, you're healed, now go play" day :)  But it will also be quite difficult, as I'm already struggling to reign in my competitive side at the gym.  There's just something annoying about watching one of the tiny gym bunnies looking down her powdered nose at me while I walk on the treadmill, as if somehow I am just not really trying.  But I know that most of that is in my head (or at least that's what I tell myself) so I'm trying to keep and clear head and only compete against myself.  The doctors and physios are very happy with my progress and anticipate I'll make a full recovering, being back to 80-90% in 2-3 weeks and then let off the lead.  So with that in mind, I am shaping this challenge to give me progress towards healing as well as giving something back to you guys, who have been by far the most supportive voice in all of this (aside from the SO of course).

Main Quest:  To be able to get into and out of a tree safely by the end of 6 weeks.  This is literally just to be able to get onto a low branch and back down again, I have no delusions of grandeur.  So how will I get there?

1.  I will do at least 30 minutes of yoga 5 times a week - one of the things I've lost most is range of motion, so I need to build my bendi-flexi back up. +3 DEX, +1 STA

2.  I will do the Beginner's Bodyweight Workout 3 times a week - the other thing I've lost is strength, but I don't think lifting free weights would be a good idea at the moment, so bodyweight workouts should build me back up without putting me at too much risk.  +3 STR, +1 STA

3.  I will look after the rest of myself as well as I look after my muscles - I don't look after myself as well as I should, and I know it (I sometimes forget to brush my teeth, I rarely ever look after my skin, and forget doing anything in the realm of "pampering"), so I am going to make a solid effort to do better.  This means no missed brushings, washing AND moisturizing my face every night, and I'm going to do at least 1 thing to pamper my body each week. +3 CON

Life Quest:  To give back to those who helped me weather the storm - I want to give back something to you guys for all the help and support you gave me following my injury.  With that in mind, I will be doing at least 1 video each week and it will be something that hopefully you guys will find useful or, if nothing else, entertaining :) +2 WIS, +2 CHA

• Like 6

Subbed!  Because all the cool kids will be here to watch a dwarf climb trees again. :D

• Like 1

Subbed!  Because all the cool kids will be here to watch a dwarf climb trees again. :D

tumblr_mfzh50Lp2N1qmsoako4_500.gif

Glad to hear you're on the mend.Looking forward to the video's.

Cheers hun!  :)  That reminds me, if anyone has any suggestions for videos I am fully open to suggestion.  I already have a plan for the first one (from the last challenge) but feel free to chime in!

• Like 1

That reminds me, if anyone has any suggestions for videos I am fully open to suggestion. I already have a plan for the first one (from the last challenge) but feel free to chime in!

I'd like to see an in-costume video from your upcoming LARP event!

• Like 3

I'd like to see an in-costume video from your upcoming LARP event!

I'll see what I can do :)  Shouldn't be too much of an issue, assuming you don't have a problem with seeing me in lots of face paint, tunic, hooded cloak and leather trousers!

• Like 2

Ok just completed my yoga and BBW for the day and feeling pretty good, though I only got through 2 sets of the BBW (didn't want to kill myself).  I think I'm going to approach this part of the workout by up-ing the number of circuits I do each week, so for this week it's 2 circuits a day for 3 days, next week 3 circuits a day, etc. so I should be building some serious endurance strength at a pace that won't hurt my back.  Plus, c'mon, 6 times through the BBW in one session will be some serious work!! :P

• Like 3

Subbed! Good luck with your challenge :).

Edit: I already consider 3 circuits of BBWW serious work, 6 circuits is SO much. Be careful though, you don't want to hurt yourself because of your form breaks down when too tired ;).

• Like 1

I am impressed with your rate of recovery! I think your idea of taking it slow is good, and I am interested to watch your progress in healing.

Update:....so......tired........

My muscles don't seem to like staying in one position for longer than a couple of hours, which is making the whole concept of uninterrupted sleep a no-go.  Oddly enough, my exercise time is fine and my flexibility is improving a lot (I can do upward facing dog again, yay!), but I can only seem to sleep for a couple of hours at a time and then my body wakes me up demanding movement.  It's kinda evil :P

• Like 1

How is your magnesium-calcium balance? Sometimes restless legs syndrome (if that is what you have) is helped by getting more magnesium. Hubby sometimes gets restless legs. Sleeping on his stomach helps, getting plenty of activity during the day (I know you are doing what you can!), and making sure his food is balanced and does not contain any allergens.

Wishing you good naps... ;)

• Like 1

*************   This is a semi automatic message from your future ex robotic guild leader     ********************

Hello! I just noticed that you haven't submitted the Assassin sign-up form.

For those of you new to the guild - this form allow us to list all the members of the guild that use our sign-up sheet, it makes our work easier and allows you to be registered in the phonebook or eligible for the most wanted list! (Please note, this is not the general sign-up, this is an additional sign up for our guild only.)

If it's not done already, make sure to subscribe to the announcement thread to make sure you won't miss any events or informations.

*************   This was a semi automatic message from your future ex robotic guild leader ********************

*************   This is a semi automatic message from your future ex robotic guild leader     ********************

Hello! I just noticed that you haven't submitted the Assassin sign-up form.

For those of you new to the guild - this form allow us to list all the members of the guild that use our sign-up sheet, it makes our work easier and allows you to be registered in the phonebook or eligible for the most wanted list! (Please note, this is not the general sign-up, this is an additional sign up for our guild only.)

If it's not done already, make sure to subscribe to the announcement thread to make sure you won't miss any events or informations.

*************   This was a semi automatic message from your future ex robotic guild leader ********************

I'm pretty sure I did this on my last challenge?? o.O

How is your magnesium-calcium balance? Sometimes restless legs syndrome (if that is what you have) is helped by getting more magnesium. Hubby sometimes gets restless legs. Sleeping on his stomach helps, getting plenty of activity during the day (I know you are doing what you can!), and making sure his food is balanced and does not contain any allergens.

Wishing you good naps... ;)

Huh, I'm not sure about my magnesium intake, to be honest, but I'll have a nosey.  I do usually sleep on my stomach a lot but at the moment it's too uncomfortable for my back (BOO!)  It probably has to do with my lack of activity over the last few weeks, but hopefully that will ease off soon.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I did this on my last challenge?? o.O

You have to do it every challenge ;).

Exercise early in the evening (8PM) has helped my boyfriend a lot with his sleep. For me exercise also helps, but for me quantity matters more than the specific time I exercise ;).

• Like 2

Yes, sorry about that. But your focus may change from one challenge to another, or you can go visit another guild and come back. Lots of things can changes and we want to make sure that we have the most accurate data so we can work more efficiently. Thanks for your time!

• Like 1

You have to do it every challenge ;).

Exercise early in the evening (8PM) has helped my boyfriend a lot with his sleep. For me exercise also helps, but for me quantity matters more than the specific time I exercise ;).

That is the opposite for me - if I exercise in the evening after 7, then I have a hard time getting to sleep. At least, I do if it was more than a walk.

• Like 1

Yeah, evening exercise doesn't really work for me, it gets my blood pumping and then it takes ages for me to unwind. 

Week 1 summary:

1) Do 30 minutes of yoga 5 times a week - nailed this challenge every morning, A

2) Do BBW routine 3 times a week - car issues and numerous other stresses conspired against me so only managed 2, C

3) Take better care of the rest of my body - pretty good, only missed 1 day and it was one of those super-long, "Please, dear God, just let me hit the bed before I passout" kind of days so I only feel a little bad, plus I treated myself to an at-home quick mani/pedi, B

4) Make a video - it is getting done tonight, so keep your eyes peeled folks :)

So overall not a bad week, it could have been better but it also could have been worse.  At least my back seems to be ok with the workouts so that is definitely a bonus!  I was back on the elliptical machine on Friday and almost back up to full workout levels with no issues :D

• Like 3

I'm not sure how I missed this thread until week 2! 

Looks like an awesome challenge and I love all the goals :D and I think you've had a great solid first week :) I shall be keeping an eye to make sure you do even better ;)

• Like 1

Ok folks, as promised here is the first video for my good friend souzzielou :)

Once I have my measurements in millimeters (the number the tool gives you), I use the software on this website to do the calculation: http://www.linear-software.com/online.html  And that's it, easy peasy rice and cheesy :D

NOTE: Apparently I'm a numpty and can't figure out how to embed a video *sad panda face* :(  Anybody care to help a lady out?

• Like 1

NOTE: Apparently I'm a numpty and can't figure out how to embed a video *sad panda face* :(  Anybody care to help a lady out?

how about [ video ]  link [ / video ] without the spaces? 

[ media]youtube share link[/media ]

remove the spaces in the brackets

• Like 1