This is to be the summer of my greatest academic and physical challenges! I'm going to be stepping it up a notch for my very second challenge and let me tell you...

tumblr_miqdy4gsZj1rowqaco8_500.gif

Well, mostly anyways. I've got 15,000 words to write by August 26th, but I'd like to be done earlier than that, as I have friends and family coming out to visit me pretty much for the entire month of August, and the last two weeks of July. It's going to be chaotic, but I don't want my work stress to ruin the progress I've made so far with my health. Even though last challenge I didn't end up losing any weight (what's a number anyways?) I dropped my waist and hips by a little over an inch each! I'd like to keep that up, and to do so I'm getting a little tougher on myself and do a dual challenge of body and mind. I know it's meant to only be one main quest, but I need to tie them together so I don't back down from the progress I've made so far.

Main Quest - Physical

Drop at least another inch from my waist and hips, bringing my measurements to 26in and 38in respectively. +2 CHA

Main Quest - Mental

Complete at least half of required word count for dissertation.  +2 WIS

In order to achieve these big goals I'll obviously need to keep up with the day to day routine, which is where my side quests come in.

Side Quests

SQ1: The Diet! +3 CON, +1 STA

Stick to paleo, yo! Hey and how about trying some intermittent fasting while you're at it? The fasting will be hard though, because..

tumblr_m3rujtQu691rq6j98o1_500.gif

A: Follow diet plan as laid out, including healthy paleo eating when forced to eat out during traveling and abroad. No more than gluten 2x per week. Fast at least one day a week.

B: Follow diet plan as laid out, staying mostly paleo, but eating gluten up to 4x per week. Fast at least one day per week.

C: Same as above, but no fasting.

D: Eat gluten up to 6x per week, no fasting.

F: Eat pizza, cake and other no-nos all week!!! NOOOOOOOO Don't do that!

SQ2: The Exercise! +2 STA, +2 DEX

giphy.gif

The BBWW worked for me last time, and so I'm going to keep it up, and maybe attend a HIIT class with a friend on the off day. Also, I want to finish the last two weeks of my C25K program and start just doing free runs through run keeper or Zombies, Run! I'm currently running around a 9:40min mile, and I'd like to push that a bit faster, which I think is reasonable as long as I keep running every other day. The nice thing is that it never gets too hot in Scotland, so I won't feel like death after my runs.

A: BBWW 3x per week, and either the C25K or a run at least 3x per week. Additionally, run that 5k on the 22nd of June and own it!

B: Miss 1 BBWW OR 1 Run.

C: Miss 1 BBWW AND 1 Run.

F: Miss any more than 1 of each. No middle ground on this one. 

SQ3: The Dissertation!! +4 WIS

giphy.gif

A: Read at least 2 articles (of at least 40 pages each) a day, and once possible, write at least 300 words a day, even if those words are garbage.

B: Read at least 1 article a day and once possible, write at least 200 words a day, even if those words are garbage.

C: Read at least 5 articles a week and write at least 500 words in each week.

D: Read at least 3 articles a week and write at least 500 words in each week.

F: Uhhhhh, don't read, don't write and fail at the dissertation. 

Notes on Dissertation: 

I have set dates in place already requiring a certain amount of reading and writing accomplished. Specifically 2000-3000 words due on June 23rd. Then at least one chapter completed by Mid-July. This should push along the work schedule. Alongside the articles I will be doing primary source collection, which accounts for the lower number of pages I've set my reading to. Hopefully I'll be doing more than that each day, but I don't want to set unattainable goals.

• Like 1

Lvl 2 Gray Elf Assassin

My Challenges: 1, 2, 3

STR 3 - DEX 2 - STA 5 - CON 3 - WIS 6 - CHA 3

"The secret to getting ahead in life is getting started." - Mark Twain

Day one recap:

I'm still in Cairo visiting family, so my schedule for studying, eating and exercise is a little out of whack. I'll be back in Scotland on Wednesday, soon enough. 

Honestly I thought the weather was going to be like this:

Xk7hzhX.gif

But it's really more like this, a manageable heat (especially indoors and by the pool):

tumblr_miycphbQb21rk2y0po3_r3_500.gif

Totally bearable! I even could wear jeans and a light cardigan yesterday when I went to the mall. At the same time, I've been able to sit by the pool and soak in all the delicious Vitamin D I miss out on in Scotland. I have some pretty rad tan lines already from sitting out just two days.

So, I've been able to run on a treadmill for the past couple of days, and still do my bbww. However, I find that my running on a treadmill is notably slower than my free running outside. The readout on the treadmill has consistently clocked me in at 1/2 a km shorter than the runs my gps record out on the mean streets. Does anyone else have this problem?

I actually did BOTH a run (W8D3 of C25K) and my BBWW (women's beta workout L2W1) today!

crazy-phil.gif

I know, it's not as impressive as some, but I felt pretty good afterwards. I actually feel like I should be doing more, since I've been trapped with nothing to do in this house besides exercise, eat and sit by the pool since my sister's graduation two days ago. I mean...I could also be reading/writing, but the new season of orange is the new black just got released!

Practiced intermittent fasting until noon, stopped eating at 8pm. I consumed no gluten, and made sure to load up on protein. However, I didn't cook any of my own meals, so I can't personally attest to the ingredients in everything. What I ate wasn't strictly paleo, as I had some hummus, but only a wee spoonful. Otherwise I was good, and ate shrimp and some eggplant with a homemade bolognese. Oh and dates. I frickin' love dates. 

The final part of my mission, the reading, has been the least successful. I went and sat beside the pool for a large chunk of the day, and thus did no academic reading. I've started one article, and I hope to finish at least one more before bed. We'll see how that goes!

Poolside glamour shot of my knees below:

2446pDe.jpg

Overall:

Exercise - A

Food - A

Reading - TBD

• Like 2

Lvl 2 Gray Elf Assassin

Awww I love Jennifer Lawrence! She is a great actress and rolemodell.

I really like your goals! Have you seen the C25k Accountability-Group (link in my signature)?

Edit: I have the memory of a goldfish ( or Magikarp). I even liked your post over there^^ I'm sorry.

• Like 1

Katastrophenkatzchen - Progress, not Perfection!

Race: Troll | Class : one ambitious  Druid-kitty

Level: 2 | STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: 0,5, 1, 2 , Babysteps

Spoiler

(137/180 days) 26/9/14

76.1%
76.1%

No alcohol (12/42) 26/9/14

28%
28%

Start: 194 lbs, Final Goal: 154 lbs, Next Goal: 190 lbs / Current: 194.9 lbs (15. Sept. 2014)

-1%
-1%

Hello!

jennifer-lawrence-13.gif

I like to have a mental main quest in addition to a physical one too.  My last study goal was hellish though, good luck with yours!  

Have you run before?  What level at you at in the C2K?

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

Hello!

jennifer-lawrence-13.gif

I like to have a mental main quest in addition to a physical one too.  My last study goal was hellish though, good luck with yours!  

Have you run before?  What level at you at in the C2K?

I'm currently on week 9 on the C25K and I have my first official 5k on the 22nd. It was supposed to be on the 8th, but I ended up traveling last minute to my sister's graduation. The previous challenge is, however, the first time I've ever run, probably since wee childhood. It's actually getting easier, but I'm going to invest in new shoes tomorrow when I land in Edinburgh. I want to get properly fitted ones. The pair I have now are fine, but I've had them for a couple of years and I wasn't officially fitted. I just went with a nice pair that seemed to feel good. I have a separate pair of shoes for my bw workouts, super lightweight ones that won't interfere with my movements or planks.

As for the study goal, I really don't have much of a choice but to buck up and do it. I turn in my 15,000 word dissertation on August 26th. I have two weeks in July that I should probably consider lost, since I'll be showing my sisters all around the UK, but I really want to make some serious progress before then. Oh, and at the same time, I'm looking for a job, and my lease runs out at the end of August. Who knows what country I'll land in after that. So, my academic goal is unfortunately just the tip of the iceberg.

A little token wisdom from JLaw:

30.gif

I suppose if you're working all your other muscles.....

Lvl 2 Gray Elf Assassin

Day Two Recap:

tumblr_mh1lscpX501rstq9ro2_r1_500.gif

Today was my last day in Cairo, and thus not as healthy as it should have been. However!! Tomorrow I go home and I will be able to cook for myself again, which will be a world of difference. I will also be in a country where the words "gluten-free" don't just result in odd stares and responses like, "But you can eat a little bit of pasta, right?" I'll miss my sisters and the weather, but I'll be glad to be back in gloomy old Scotland.

So first, FOOD!

Today I ate I partook of some local and not so local fare. I started my day off with some chia seed pudding I made the night before. (I think they smuggled the chia in from the US the last time they went.) I also went bananas on almond stuffed dates and some date milk!

tb6teGI.jpg

AFzizI4.jpg

Honestly, I have no idea where all those dates went... :D

I ate some chicken, salad and a mere suggestion of a slice of a potato for lunch (not paleo I know, but the worst is yet to come).

THEN, for a wicked late night-time dinner, the fam went and got Sushi. Yes, you heard me. Egyptian style sushi.

SQFavxt.jpg

Which really just looks and tastes like UK or American sushi, but they ran out of tuna and thus there was a boatload of salmon instead.

I only ate one roll with rice, but I did use soy sauce, so there goes one of my wheat-filled meals. 

frowny_face_supernatural.gif

Exercise:

I did my BBWW! And then I walked around a mall for a couple of hours. There's not much else to do here. I almost went for a run but then decided to give my feetsies a rest as I know I'll be on them quite a bit tomorrow for the flight and whatnot. 

Finally, reading:

I won't lie. I did none.

sam_dean_whoa.gif

I'm going to try and take advantage of the time stuck on planes and in airports tomorrow/today. Worst case scenario, I am a little later to the game than I meant to be, but it's still early. I plan on catching up on my missed essays over the next couple of days. And possibly my run for tomorrow, if I'm too out of it by the time I get home.

I really wish I could take a nap before my flight....

• Like 2

Lvl 2 Gray Elf Assassin

I'm currently on week 9 on the C25K and I have my first official 5k on the 22nd. It was supposed to be on the 8th, but I ended up traveling last minute to my sister's graduation. The previous challenge is, however, the first time I've ever run, probably since wee childhood. It's actually getting easier, but I'm going to invest in new shoes tomorrow when I land in Edinburgh. I want to get properly fitted ones. The pair I have now are fine, but I've had them for a couple of years and I wasn't officially fitted. I just went with a nice pair that seemed to feel good. I have a separate pair of shoes for my bw workouts, super lightweight ones that won't interfere with my movements or planks.

As for the study goal, I really don't have much of a choice but to buck up and do it. I turn in my 15,000 word dissertation on August 26th. I have two weeks in July that I should probably consider lost, since I'll be showing my sisters all around the UK, but I really want to make some serious progress before then. Oh, and at the same time, I'm looking for a job, and my lease runs out at the end of August. Who knows what country I'll land in after that. So, my academic goal is unfortunately just the tip of the iceberg.

A little token wisdom from JLaw:

30.gif

I suppose if you're working all your other muscles.....

1. Awesome work with the running then! I look forward to hearing about how you do in the race :)

2. Your August scares me.   Which country would you like to work in next?

3. How did she ever fit that quote into an interview???  :P

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

1. Awesome work with the running then! I look forward to hearing about how you do in the race :)

2. Your August scares me.   Which country would you like to work in next?

3. How did she ever fit that quote into an interview???  :tongue:

1. Thanks!

2. It scares the bejesus out of me. 

3. You do not question JLaw quotes. You just love them, and her, as the universe intended.

• Like 1

Lvl 2 Gray Elf Assassin

DAY THREE: The Flight, the Run, the Lack of Sleep

giphy.gif

Not going to lie. Today was pretty crummy on two out of three goals. BUT!!! I did super duper awesome on one of them! I'm going to take the day as not a total loss then. Plus, in my defense I haven't slept since Monday night. 

The Food:

Flights were hellish. At one point I thought I was going to fall asleep in the Cairo airport waiting for the plane to board. The only thing that kept me awake was one simple thought:

812452.gif

I CANNOT get stuck in Egypt. I needed to get back home to my cats, damnit. They depend on me!

On the plane I groggily ate the cheese filled pastry handed to me without protest, too out of my wits with exhaustion for my brain to protest against the cheesy cheesy goodness that was put before me. It was so warm....and gooey. Cheating like that, with cheap airline pastry of all things! And to think I consider myself a foodie. For shame.

tumblr_ln3rooFMmt1qflan8o1_500.gif

I got a second wind (and a very large coffee) once I landed in Amsterdam, and managed to maintain wakefulness on the second leg of my flight, eating the small bag of chips proffered to me by the delightful KLM airhostess. It was oh so salty. During this time I also nibbled on the almond stuffed dates I had secreted into my purse when I left. I probably ate about ten dates total today. That there is a lot of sugar...

By the time I got home, I was on my third wind (after a bout of crankiness, which always happens to me after travel) and decided to go for a run, before preparing dinner. After the run I made this meal:

enEJaUw.jpg

Pan seared pork chop, marinated with lime, chili and garlic. Sautéed onion and roasted garlic on a baked sweet potato. The green stuff is a broad bean pate spiced with cumin and turmeric, which was totally scrumptious on the pork chop. Man, I missed cooking. I bought a new juicer online, so I'll be starting up with my beet juices again tomorrow too! 

After dinner I ate gluten again, but this time some of the sweets my grandmother sent home with me. So much sugar! But man....Egypt isn't the fattest country in the Middle East for no reason. Their desserts are delicious. I plan on ridding myself of the rest of them promptly so as to avoid temptation.

The Exercise:

Well, when I landed in Edinburgh and before I resigned myself to hopping the train back to nowheresville, I decided to treat myself to a pair of properly fitted running shoes. Oh man! Are they awesome or what?! I got a pair of Asics, super comfy, super well fitted. It was clear that I need to take these babies for a stroll when I got home.

Fast forward five hours:

I'm home! I've unpacked the necessaries, caught up with my roommate and decided that I will indeed take my scheduled run, despite getting nil sleep the night before. I set out, the sun is blazing (for Scotland at least) and I'm dehydrated and tired. I feel like the time moves as slow as molasses. I get a boost at the halfway point and start to pick up the pace again. By looping through my route in different directions I'm able to complete W9D1 with only a momentary lapse of about 15 seconds on a hill where I doubted my ability to carry on. As I wrap up, I'm sure I couldn't have gotten too far, or gone too fast, but lo and behold, I've set a new personal record!!! Not just for distance but for run speed as well! I finished up the run with 6.18k and an average run speed of 5:59min per km during the run portion. I've just completed 5.02k in 30 min, a real 5k run!!! WHAT?!

tumblr_m3vfr1X9vI1r9jaq7.gif

So, the moral of the story is that fancy new shoes really are magic.

Bonus: 

Here's me in anticipation of the historic run:

K6u2lWq.jpg

Here's me directly afterwards, all sweaty and pumped up on endorphins: 

NSd3CAY.jpg

Reading:

I did none.

4575_6feb.gif

I promise myself to do a buttload tomorrow though. I promise you, future self!!!

giphy.gif

Stop! Stop James McAvoy! Don't give me those looks! I promise to read at least 4 articles tomorrow. It's a start isn't it?

0.gif

Thanks, James. I'm glad we cleared that up.

tumblr_m343paWycb1qj40aw.gif

I should go to bed now...

• Like 4

Lvl 2 Gray Elf Assassin

You look sooo motivated in your run outfit that I copied your hairstyle for my run on friday....

I felt sooo good :D

Katastrophenkatzchen - Progress, not Perfection!

Race: Troll | Class : one ambitious  Druid-kitty

Level: 2 | STR 1 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: 0,5, 1, 2 , Babysteps

Spoiler

(137/180 days) 26/9/14

76.1%
76.1%

No alcohol (12/42) 26/9/14

28%
28%

Start: 194 lbs, Final Goal: 154 lbs, Next Goal: 190 lbs / Current: 194.9 lbs (15. Sept. 2014)

-1%
-1%

So, I went a little underground, and neglected to update anything, but I have been continuing to work on my goals, despite a massive mishap with a mandolin slicer yesterday. ): I'll give a real update tonight! 

Lvl 2 Gray Elf Assassin

:o Well I hope that the mandolin slicer didn't deliver too much damage!

To try and make it up to you... 

You're a Most Wanted this week for your epic run last week :D Congrats!

http://rebellion.ner...e/#entry1087847

• Like 1

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

I'm alive! Alliiiiiivvvveeee!

tumblr_loavkw8SnY1qjncaa.gif

So, this is an update for the last two weeks I guess. Whoops. I've been pretty good about sticking to my eating and exercises. I've even started the 5k to 10k bridge. I think I let things spiral because of stress regarding my dissertation and a lack of a cohesive daily schedule. My first deadline is Monday and I have yet to write a word, but I'm confident I'll have something for my advisor. I spent the past week applying for jobs, and I've passed a few of the initial exams for some training programs, but I'll have to wait and see how that progresses. As with all of my previous academic work I've had to hit a certain level of pressure before I start actually making progress. It's not good, but it's how I've always operated. 

I pretty much have to be here to get my butt into gear:

tumblr_n0rt3eVi8t1tszyeko1_500.gif

Let's break it down now. 

The Food:

A

I ate paleo, with only a couple of exceptions each week, and generally kept to normal portion sizes. I stress ate some fruit, nuts and chocolate, but only the extra dark 85% cocoa kind, so really, in my mind, it doesn't even count as a no-no. Right?!

tumblr_myy77fzOMr1rcny7ko1_250.gif

The only meal I ate out for was at the local Indian place, but I ate too much bread and gave myself incredibly painful cramps. In retaliation to the fact that I can no longer gorge myself on naan, I decided to cook a paleo indian meal.

hzQ6sN7.jpg

The naan wasn't the same, but it was pretty darn tasty anyways. I used some sweet potatoes to give the meal a little more substance, but otherwise it was a nice butter chicken, sans butter (I used coconut milk and cream). The recipe is here and here. So yummy!

I also made my very own lamb stew, no recipe required!

mB1HJcv.jpg

And I ate it for days afterwards! Paprika, cinnamon and garlic were the main spices used, tasting to find the right balance. The meat is a 5 yo mutton I got from my meat shipment from the last challenge. Added some sweet potato, cabbage, onion and carrots and called it a day on that one.

I've also been doing a lot of spinach/strawberry salads with protein on the side. Eggs or chicken mostly. My daily breakfast has been a variation on this:

xLLqs1D.jpg

Using chia seeds and cacao nibs for crunch and fruit for sweetness on top of a boatload of greek yogurt. This way I get at least 23g of protein right off the bat in the morning.

tumblr_l3rrbdW7mZ1qblpjf.gif

The exercises:

A

I've actually been doing extra runs and exercises every day! I took a break yesterday, as I was hosting a BBQ, but otherwise I've been trying to do both, to keep myself from going stir-crazy. Because when I'm not exercising all I can think about is that looming deadline....

the-emperor-s-new-groove-the-emperors-ne

I'm now able to consistently run 6k as part of a regular C25K workout, and started the Bridge to 10K program. I've neglected to use the zombies, run! app, but I plan on using one of the 5k missions for my race tomorrow. It'll be my first pay to play, and I really want to keep to a 9 1/2 min mile. I'd like to go faster, but I need time to build up speed. I'm just glad that I've kept running at all. It's been warm (for Scotland) the last few days, and it makes me very disinclined to do much of anything besides marathon watch Fargo and apply for jobs online. I'm running out of both of those activities though, so I might be amping up my exercise to give my brain a break from reading all day. I've also promised my youngest sister that I would read the Divergent books before she comes to see me in mid-July.

Now for the not so good part - the dissertation:

tumblr_m5mdvdQslB1rxodpio1_400.gif

D

Now, I've given myself a D, rather than failing myself because I have been productive with my future by applying for jobs, just not with my more immediate concerns of finishing this damn dissertation. 

tumblr_inline_n3a46dYuRh1rtvvs5.gif

No no! I know what you're thinking, but once I have one taken care of, the other will be a lot less stressful! If I know I have a position lined up in the UK for after the summer, I don't need to worry about where the cats and I will be living, and I can really dig in and feel better about completing this damn thing.

vs4FOim.gif

Well I'm writing two to three thousand words for Monday anyways, so stop judging. Jeez. 

Other fun stuff:

I cut my hand, pretty severely on a mandolin slicer. I nearly passed out from the shock when I tried to remove pressure from the wound, and ended up having to go to the minor injuries clinic. I avoided bleeding all over the taxi on the ride over, so thankfully I didn't get charged a cleaning fee!

Right after getting seen:

yL4G8v9.jpg

The next day I had to go back to get the bandage changed:

3S6Sbbt.jpg

It looked a lot less scary with the smaller bandage. I did, however, slice the tip of my thumb and (to a lesser extent) middle finger off. It will take a while for the flesh to completely grow back. I learned my lesson and will now be using the shield whilst slicing henceforth.

For the time being I'm stuck with a painful thumb, making it awkward to type, workout, wash dishes and cook. ): At least it can't affect my running.

For the following week I say:

tumblr_m3fbwmdVQM1qeyp1lo5_250.gif

I'm reading to boogey down on this dissertation, and own my race tomorrow. 

PS - Here's Pippi sleeping dumb.

l2VzZu1.jpg

• Like 1

Lvl 2 Gray Elf Assassin

Congrats on the 5K! And hope your hand heals soon. The week after I got my food processor,I cut my finger. remember cutting implements are sharp ;) 

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Just popping in to say that, despite slow going, I've done more reading today and finished a couple more job applications. I'm getting up wicked early tomorrow to start the process all over again. I also went for my run. That was less successful. I felt exhausted and couldn't run the full time. I think I need to be getting more sleep, and I've been eating too many damn nuts. I need to stop keeping them stashed all around the house like a frickin' squirrel.

Oh and I made things:

First, my homemade mango/peach/ginger jam.

lxHdNAF.jpg

Then the sunbutter muffins I made stuffed with aforementioned jam.

RH5rq1b.jpg

Ivan for good measure:SM9BK0g.jpg

Lvl 2 Gray Elf Assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines