LittleTurtle - Harder, Better, Faster, Stonger

I’m better than I was yesterday, but not as good as I will be tomorrow.

My summer work hours have officially begun!  I’m mere days away before I start feeling like a human being again!  I get to focus on my work projects rather than fixing everyone else’s issues.  No students, no teachers, no angry parent phone calls.  The tension is draining already.

Now that I feel I have the mental capacity to do more; I shall!

I want to do ALL the things!

Of course, if I tried doing all the things in one little challenge, I would become overwhelmed and just quit, so I’ve narrowed it down to some specifics:

I’ve been a little too lax with the foods I’ve been eating as of late, so I’m going to clean it up again which seems easier for me during the spring/summer months because we use our barbeque quite frequently to do chicken, pork, and steak.  I will allow oats, minimal dairy, minimal whole grains, and dark chocolate when I feel like I might die if I don’t get it.  I’ve come to discover that if I try to cut out wheat (or chocolate) completely, I can usually make it about 2-2 ½ weeks before I start to feel deprived and binge.

I’m still working towards being able to run a mile in 9 minutes or less and complete a 5k in 30 minutes or less, so I’ll continue focusing on getting faster.

I just recently started doing some weight training.  My form at this point is a little iffy, but my boyfriend has been helping me master that.  I’d like to be able to do a decent amount of squats and lunges without suffering the inability to walk normally for the next 5 days.  Haha!  Also, I’d eventually like to reduce (if not eliminate) the “hail damage” on my glutes.

As far as a life/side quest, I want to start reading again.  I have approximately a jillion novels that I have yet to read, and about a gazillion more that I WANT to purchase.  However, before I buy any more books, I must read the ones that have been sitting on my book shelf collecting dust.

So let’s do this, yes?  

MAIN QUEST

HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, STRONGER

1. Run 2 times per week. <Continue improving speed.>
  2. Strength Train or Yoga 2 times per week. <Work specifically on mastering proper form.>
  3. “Fun-tivity” once per week. <Hiking, badminton, walking, horseshoes, etc...>
  4. Paleo/Primal Diet (~75% of the time). <Allow dairy, oats, and whole grain bread with max of one or two servings per day.>

LIFE QUEST

READ ALL THE BOOKS!

• For the 6 week challenge, I will finish the current book I’ve been reading (about half-way through) and at least one more.  Plain and simple.

GRADING

My starting stats are as follows:

RUNNING:

Comfort Pace = ~11 min/mile

Fastest Mile = 10'30" from last challenge (have yet to beat 9'56" all time best)

Fastest 5k = 32'32"

STRENGTH TRAINING

(Just beginning and still trying to master proper form.)

Sets = 3

Reps = 10

Weight = 10 lbs

- Kickbacks, Bent, Arm, Dumbbell

- Overhead Triceps Extension, Dumbbell

-Lateral Raise, Side, Dumbbell

- Standing Biceps Curl, Dumbbell

- Lunges, Dumbbell

- Squats, Dumbbell

DIET:

I’ll aim to keep it about 75-80% Paleo/Primal 5 days a week. 

MOTIVATION

I want to look great and feel confident in a bathing suit.  Especially since turtles spend a lot of time in the water!  :frog:

• Like 2
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Harder, better, faster, stronger - I like it!!

So glad to read that life has eased up for the time being......

Your motivation and energy radiate all the way here...thank you!

So, what book are you reading at the moment then?

Oh, and I am sure that you already look great in a bathing suit......

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Ohhhh I wish I had added reading a book to my challenge... That would be a good thing to strive to do.... Can't wait to cheer you on little turtle!

Sea turtle? Cuz they are my fav :-P

Sent from Tapatalk, all errors are the app's fault! ;-)

Level 6.5 Female Druid/Celtic Goddess
(Str. - 14) (Dex. - 10) (Sta. - 11) (Con. - 10) (Wis. - 11) (Char. - 13)

My Most Recent Challenge!

Spoiler

Awake every morning and do your best to follow this daily To-Do List:

1. Think Positively 2. Eat Healthy 3. Exercise Today. 4. Worry Less. 5. Work Hard. 6. Laugh Often. 7. Sleep Well.

Then? Repeat...

"Promise me you will always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

Daft-Punk-1.gif

Kick some butt, Turtle.  I can't wait to read about your progress.  

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Monday, I went for a 1 mile walk during my lunch, and did some strength training after dinner.  But at this very moment, my body feels decrepit and beat down.  :miserable:  (I'll get over it.)  My boyfriend even spotted me while I did some bench presses with the bar.  I'm not gonna lie - it made me feel pretty bad ass (even though it was just the bar, but STILL!) 

Today, I ran for an easy 2.266 miles.  I got up to 6mph for FOUR WHOLE MINUTES!  

Diet has been almost spot on for the past two days.  :D

All in all, a great start to the challenge.

Good to see you again, Turtle! Huzzah for the summer breather!

Good to see you again, too!  Two days in, and I am loving my summer breather already!  :)

Harder, better, faster, stronger - I like it!!

So glad to read that life has eased up for the time being......

Your motivation and energy radiate all the way here...thank you!

So, what book are you reading at the moment then?

Oh, and I am sure that you already look great in a bathing suit......

Hi Eve!  Thank YOU for always being so motivating!  :)

I am trying to read through the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.  Basically, it's  so I don't have to have a heart attack every Sunday when I watch Game of Thrones. I'm so obsessed with that damn show - it's probably reached an unhealthy level!  HAHA!  

And thanks…I feel okay in a bathing suit, but very self conscious about cellulite.  I'm sure no one else even notices, but I'm my own worst critic, I suppose.

Ohhhh I wish I had added reading a book to my challenge... That would be a good thing to strive to do.... Can't wait to cheer you on little turtle!

Sea turtle? Cuz they are my fav :-P

Thanks for the encouragement, CrazyMags!  I LOVE reading, but find it harder to do during the school year because I come home after work and feel mentally exhausted.

I guess I never thought about what kind of turtle I actually would be?  A mountain turtle if that was possible, because the mountains are my favorite place in the world!  :)

Daft-Punk-1.gif

Kick some butt, Turtle.  I can't wait to read about your progress.  

Ah, Jitters!  You always send the best gifs!  Thank you for always helping me to keep smiling!   :glee:

• Like 1
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

I'm glad I can help keep you smiling.  The day Turtle stops smiling is the day the world stops smiling.  

• Like 1

Level 2 Warforged Druid

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Are you a teacher little turtle? Because one of my goals for summer break is to read more! Just because of you! :-P

Awesome run! I wish I wasn't so allergic to cardio! (No, seriously, I MUST be! I have a hard time breathing every time I try! ;) )

Level 6.5 Female Druid/Celtic Goddess
(Str. - 14) (Dex. - 10) (Sta. - 11) (Con. - 10) (Wis. - 11) (Char. - 13)

My Most Recent Challenge!

Spoiler

Awake every morning and do your best to follow this daily To-Do List:

1. Think Positively 2. Eat Healthy 3. Exercise Today. 4. Worry Less. 5. Work Hard. 6. Laugh Often. 7. Sleep Well.

Then? Repeat...

"Promise me you will always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
RIP C.H. aka. TexasToast

Welp.  It's official.  I think weight lifting is going to be the death of me.  LOL  Seriously, though.  I woke up this morning and everything (down to my ARMPITS!) were aching.  I think I'll be doing yoga tonight.  The thought of doing another lunge or bench press makes me wanna vomit (for now).  :P

Are you a teacher little turtle? Because one of my goals for summer break is to read more! Just because of you! :-P

Awesome run! I wish I wasn't so allergic to cardio! (No, seriously, I MUST be! I have a hard time breathing every time I try! ;) )

I'm not a teacher, but I work 12 months in the Main Office of a high school.  Are you a teacher?  I'm flattered that I've inspired you to read!  I just love the escape I feel when I'm deep in a book.  :)

And I used to be "allergic" to cardio, too!  For reals!  I couldn't go a whole minute without feeling like my lungs were going to collapse.  In all honesty, I think I still may be allergic to running, because after my jog last night, I started itching EVERYWHERE!  Haha!  It's taken me YEARS to be able to run like I do...just a few more seconds everytime.  :)

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

Monday, I went for a 1 mile walk during my lunch, and did some strength training after dinner.  But at this very moment, my body feels decrepit and beat down.  :miserable:  (I'll get over it.)  My boyfriend even spotted me while I did some bench presses with the bar.  I'm not gonna lie - it made me feel pretty bad ass (even though it was just the bar, but STILL!) 

Today, I ran for an easy 2.266 miles.  I got up to 6mph for FOUR WHOLE MINUTES!  

Diet has been almost spot on for the past two days.   :D

All in all, a great start to the challenge.

I love the badass feel of using the bar, too! My gym is very small, there's only one good squat stand, and I'm usually the only woman in the weight room. If the guys are done with their sets and are just hanging around in the way, I feel all like "Step aside, boys, this mama's going to use the BAR!" ( I really say "are you done?") And they get out of my way. Of course, most of the time it's the Mormon boys on their mission trip, so they have to be polite. Still feels tough.

Great start to the summer!

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

I love the badass feel of using the bar, too! My gym is very small, there's only one good squat stand, and I'm usually the only woman in the weight room. If the guys are done with their sets and are just hanging around in the way, I feel all like "Step aside, boys, this mama's going to use the BAR!" ( I really say "are you done?") And they get out of my way. Of course, most of the time it's the Mormon boys on their mission trip, so they have to be polite. Still feels tough.

Great start to the summer!

That is so totally bad ass!  I'd probably be way too timid.  Thank goodness I have all that stuff in my basement.  :)

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

I started reading A Game of Thrones and gave up because I couldn't keep all the people straight. I'm thinking maybe I need to try again thanks to your challenge. :) Which looks awesome, by the way. *waves pompoms*

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Hi LittleTurtle!

I actually really loved using the barbel too!! But the gym we used to go to was 'the boys' and their big heavy things, and 'the girls' in their colour-coordinated work out  clothes and make up trying not to sweat to much on the cardio machines.  Jeeze the stairs when I was equating with the bar.  It was also a mad house zoo all the time and I hated waiting around for the 2 squat racks.  If I had a squat rack at home, that would be the BEST!

You are working up to a 9 minute mile when you used to hardly go for a minute!? Wow! that's fantastic! Good work!

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.â€- Mahatma Gandhi

Week 1 and Done.

Let's see...I strength trained once (didn't realize how many days I'd be sore afterwards!), I did yoga once, and I got on the treadmill once.  Missed one run.  Fun-tivity was just a 1 mile nature walk.

Diet was solid for about 3 1/2 days this week...but then Friday came along and convinced me I needed Chinese food and candy.  Right back on track today though!

I'm really into my book now.  I've been reading it during my lunch hour Mon-Thur.  Reading it most the day on Friday, and will probably start reading in the evenings too now that my attention has been grabbed.  My hope is to have the current book finished by the end of Week 3.  I should be able to do it.

I started reading A Game of Thrones and gave up because I couldn't keep all the people straight. I'm thinking maybe I need to try again thanks to your challenge. :) Which looks awesome, by the way. *waves pompoms*

Yeah, I was getting really frustrated reading it because one chapter would end and you wouldn't read about that character for what seemed to be a hundred chapters and then by the time you got back to that character - I couldn't even rememeber where I'd left off!  It's getting easier now though.  I'm very much enjoying it!  AND!  I figure once I've read all the books, then I won't have to have heart attacks every Sunday night when the new episode airs.  Although last night was the season finale and I'm going into major withdrawals already!  Haha!

I hope you get back into reading them!  Then we could have total nerdy discussions about our theories! 

Thanks for the pompom cheers! 

Hi LittleTurtle!

I actually really loved using the barbel too!! But the gym we used to go to was 'the boys' and their big heavy things, and 'the girls' in their colour-coordinated work out  clothes and make up trying not to sweat to much on the cardio machines.  Jeeze the stairs when I was equating with the bar.  It was also a mad house zoo all the time and I hated waiting around for the 2 squat racks.  If I had a squat rack at home, that would be the BEST!

You are working up to a 9 minute mile when you used to hardly go for a minute!? Wow! that's fantastic! Good work!

I hear ya on the gyms woes.  I used to go to a small gym and there were always people talking really loud on their cellphones.  I could even hear them with my earbuds in and music fairly loud.  It used to irritate the crap outta me. 

And thanks for the kind words regarding the running!  Sometimes, I still can't quite believe how far I've come.  :)

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

Off to a good start! I'll pick up book 1 this weekend and see how it goes. Which one are you on?

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I did not have a good run tonight.  I know that what I did was far better than doing nothing at all, but I still feel irritated.

First off, I made it just over a mile before my clod-hopping hands somehow managed to knock the emergency stop clip thingy off, so the treadmill turned off and I had to start all over because it didn't save my time or distance.

THEN, my stupid iPod stopped working for some reason.  So I had to do the rest of my time sans music, and it's hard to run to the beat of my own heavy breathing.

AND THEN!  The stupid treadmill went all wacky and the incline decided to have a mind of its own and I couldn't get the stupid incline set correctly.

After 30 minutes, I just said, "Eff it - I'm so done with this."

I don't ever remember feeling so irritated after a run.   :angry:

Alright, rant over.  Thanks for listening.  

I'm off to stuff my face with boneless, skinless chicken breast and vegetables.  Maybe a small slice of Dubliner cheese to calm my nerves.

Off to a good start! I'll pick up book 1 this weekend and see how it goes. Which one are you on?

I am a little more than halfway through the 2nd book.  It took awhile for me to get warmed up to it, but now I'm on a roll!  Good luck!  I look forward to discussing your thoughts.  :)

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

I did not have a good run tonight.  I know that what I did was far better than doing nothing at all, but I still feel irritated.

First off, I made it just over a mile before my clod-hopping hands somehow managed to knock the emergency stop clip thingy off, so the treadmill turned off and I had to start all over because it didn't save my time or distance.

THEN, my stupid iPod stopped working for some reason.  So I had to do the rest of my time sans music, and it's hard to run to the beat of my own heavy breathing.

AND THEN!  The stupid treadmill went all wacky and the incline decided to have a mind of its own and I couldn't get the stupid incline set correctly.

After 30 minutes, I just said, "Eff it - I'm so done with this."

I don't ever remember feeling so irritated after a run.   :angry:

Alright, rant over.  Thanks for listening.  

I'm off to stuff my face with boneless, skinless chicken breast and vegetables.  Maybe a small slice of Dubliner cheese to calm my nerves.

tumblr_lo8j1nSp191qc0i5jo1_500.gif

Bummer about your run.  It will be better next time.

Level 2 Warforged Druid

Ah - thanks, Jitters!  I feel better already!  :frog:

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

It's what I do.

tumblr_l7oierR8NX1qcu9hz.gif

• Like 2

Level 2 Warforged Druid

And

You've been adopted by a clown.  I hope you are prepared for this.

• Like 1

Level 2 Warforged Druid

Hi!  Great idea to keep the goals simple, I often get caught trying to do everything and then I end up failing.  Wow, 2.6 miles?!? I can maybe walk that, but I can only run about a half a mile or so, and that's with breaks.  This 5K is going to kill me!  

STR- 4, DEX- 0, STA- 4, CON- 1, WIS- 1, CHA- 0

BOOOOO to the possessed treadmill. At least you kept trying and didn't give up right away. 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

And

You've been adopted by a clown.  I hope you are prepared for this.

Alright! I'm super stoked! :D

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

Hi!  Great idea to keep the goals simple, I often get caught trying to do everything and then I end up failing.  Wow, 2.6 miles?!? I can maybe walk that, but I can only run about a half a mile or so, and that's with breaks.  This 5K is going to kill me!

You'll get there! I used to not be able to run a full minute at a 4.0 speed. Never in a bajillion years did I ever dream I'd be running 5k at just over 30 minutes. It can be done if you put your mind to it. :)

BOOOOO to the possessed treadmill. At least you kept trying and didn't give up right away.

Thanks! The hardest part for me is actually getting changed into my running gear and getting the treadmill started. Once I've accomplished that part, I get pretty damn stubborn. ;)
  • Like 1
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Level 2 Warforged Druid

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines