Tateman's challenge #8: It's been a year already!?

That's awesome, the best running I've ever ever done is race for life, 5k in 41minutes :redface-new: but like I say, love my stationary bike soooooooo much and on the occasions when I've been able to go mountain biking I love that :)

I use to like biking a bit.  I was never into mountain trail riding, but I rode everywhere for awhile.  I was really to heavy for a lot of bikes though.  I broke a few.  Then I spent like $400 on a really nice mountain bike.  It didn't have all the shocks or anything like that, but it was so light, and tough as hell.  Then my brother stole it :(  He "locked" it up at someone's house and never got it back.  More like he sold it for drugs.  Thankfully, my brother is much better now, but his ass still owes me a bike! ;)  I have been tempted to go look into another bike since it has been a long time since I owned one.  I don't like the 10 speed style road bikes, and the super shock mountain bikes are too much I think.  I have seen some mountain bike style road bikes though that look good.  Commuter bikes or something they called them.

Yeah good on you. I think the introduction protocol can be easily messed up so sounds like the right way to go about it. I think I am going to give it another shot next challenge but definetly make it longer than 30 days.

I think Whole 30 is something i will just get back to doing from time to time.  For me, it doesn't seem to be a permanent eating style that I can live with.  Plus, from time to time, I still would like to enjoy a good burger or pizza, or whatever.  What I really hope is that all the cleaner eating helps me develop into eating better for most of the time.  Then the occasional bad food will be ok.

Here's to a safe and successful surgery for the Mrs.  I hope it works for her.  It would be great if you both were heading toward the same goal of being healthier (even if you're taking different paths).

I won't know if she will get the gastric sleeve till after surgery.  First they will remove the lap band first.  It depends on the scar tissue if they will do the sleeve.  Either way, she would most likely be more onboard for healthy eating.  She will be on liquids and soft foods for like 4-6 weeks.  So she will probably drop a lot of weight just from that.  Hopefully, she sticks with trying to eat better and not go into the oreos with added icing territory, or figuring ice cream is a soft food so she can eat tons of it.

Holy shit that progress is impressive!

Thanks :)  I hope that next year will be even more amazing progress.

Got my workout done today.  I couldn't do the duck crawl really, so I skipped that.  I'll hit up Week 6 day 2 tonight.  2 10 minute runs.  Dinner tonight will be spaghetti squash with my homemade sauce :)

• Like 1

I hope she has a good surgery and sticks with a good eating plan.  You know, I've never tried spaghetti squash.  Do you bake it?

We usually split in in half.  Take out the seeds, then put EVOO and salt and pepper on it, then stick in in the microwave for 10 minutes or so.  I made one tonight, but tomorrow I am going to make some chili, and am going to roast the other spaghetti squash in the oven.  Then I can put chili over it :)  Pretty much going to follow this for roasting http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash-178036

I hope my wife does well too.  A lady at work brought in Krispy Kreme Donuts, so my wife brought them home.  Holy smokes I never wanted to eat a donut so bad before.  I was making dinner, and took a smell of them, and it was almost an instant "MUST STUFF IN MY FACE" moment.  I resisted though.  Of course I have been thinking of them all night.  I would love to eat one.  I won't though.  I hate that even with me not being hungry because I ate food, my brain tries to tell me I am starving and need to eat those donuts. 

Anyhow, off to run :)

• Like 2

Well, it was hard to get motivated to do things today.  This morning I spent a long time in bed checking facebook and twitter, and just about everything else I could before finally giving in to getting workouts in.  I finished Day 5 of the 30 Days of Change.  I couldn't do the duck walk exercise, so I just skipped it for now.

The rest of today was ok.  Eating wise was good.  Made spaghetti sauce with spaghetti squash tonight, and it was really good.  Had some sliced tomatoes too.

Then getting out there to run tonight was more of the same just not really into it kind of mood.  It might be the lower energy type slump from Whole 30, who knows.  Still though I did it.  Tonight was my repeat of C25K Week 6 Day 2.  5 minute warm up walk, 10 minute run, 3 minute walk, 10 minute run, then a 5 minute cool down.

I finished, and was happy i was able to stick it out.  I felt like I would be slower then my previous run.  Then I saw I was wrong :D  So I was better again!

Original Week 6 Day 2:

14135640915_6d0b954285_n.jpgWeek 6 Day 2 finished by Will Tate, on Flickr

longest interval was .74 miles

Tonight's run:

14230770767_df7824b03f_n.jpgRepeat of week 6 day 2.   2x10 minute runs by Will Tate, on Flickr

Longest interval was .78 miles :D  Even my second 10 minute run was longer then the first run of my previous week 6.

So yeah, I am happy with that.  I'll be curious to see if I have the same thing happen on Sunday when I do Day 3.  That is a single 22 minute run.  I was even thinking maybe I would head over to the track Sunday to do it.  Otherwise I will just get it done at night like usual.

• Like 1

You're killing it. Great job.

Love the idea that your Jawbone reminds you to be active. I'm assuming that's a wristband of some sort (not the Bluetooth headset!).

How's the sleep going?

Mangostrike
Race: Stone Troll | Class: Ranger
[Level: 3 | STR 6 | DEX 2.5 | STA 6.25 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5 ]
Battle Log 1-First-Blood 2-Nerf-Herder 3-A-New-Hope 4-Get-Angry

If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Master Quest = <200 Lbs.

You go Tate kickin ass!

I saw you post on someone elses thread, didn't recognize it was you for a minute...curse your sudden yet inevitable avatar change!

• Like 5

Race:Gamorrean | Class: Adventurer10

{STR:27.5||DEX:3||STA:27||CON:52.50||WIS:35.5||CHA:16.5}

Inventory: Belt of Dietary Willpower

Accountibilibuddies:Rogue Squadron

Challenges --> 1-->2-->3-->4-->5-->6-->7--> 8-->9-->Challenge 10(Current)

Logs: | Fitocracy | Measurements | My Fitness Pal

Reach 180 lbs from 225 lbs (currently 225 lbs)

4.44%
4.44%

I use to like biking a bit.  I was never into mountain trail riding, but I rode everywhere for awhile.  I was really to heavy for a lot of bikes though.  I broke a few.  Then I spent like $400 on a really nice mountain bike.  It didn't have all the shocks or anything like that, but it was so light, and tough as hell.  Then my brother stole it :(  He "locked" it up at someone's house and never got it back.  More like he sold it for drugs.  Thankfully, my brother is much better now, but his ass still owes me a bike! ;)  I have been tempted to go look into another bike since it has been a long time since I owned one.  I don't like the 10 speed style road bikes, and the super shock mountain bikes are too much I think.  I have seen some mountain bike style road bikes though that look good.  Commuter bikes or something they called them.

Ah that's awful about the bike, sounds like you've gotten over it somehow though. I don't know much about bikes I have to admit, the majority of my exercise comes from my stationary bike and I have a mountain bike that someone bought me but it's been at my Mum's for the last year and a half because I lived in a flat without storage, I've just moved to a nice house with a garden and a shed though so she might be bringing it over for me tomorrow and then I can go out and find me some places to ride. I'm not confident enough to ride on the roads though which is why I prefer mountain biking hehe

Half-Elf Ranger

[Level: 4 | STR 9 | DEX 5 | STA 9 | CON 10 | WIS 10 | CHA 7 ]

Feel free to visit - Current Challenge

Challenge 3 - Challenge 2 - Challenge 1

Feel free to add me as a Fitbit Friend

You're killing it. Great job.

Love the idea that your Jawbone reminds you to be active. I'm assuming that's a wristband of some sort (not the Bluetooth headset!).

How's the sleep going?

Thanks :)  Yeah, I have the Jawbone Up.  It's a wrist wearable.  I got it from a Secret Santa Gift :)  I use it and my fitbit one to track steps, and monitor my sleeping.  Sleeping has been going ok.  There were a couple of nights I didn't sleep all that great, even with getting to bed on time.  There are also a few mornings I get up earlier since my wife likes to make a lot of noise when she gets ready for work haha.

Hey it's good to see you! Thanks for the encouragement in my thread.

Your progress since last year is stunning! And poking through the thread seeing what you're eating, it's hard to believe that you're the same guy who wasn't sure he could like veggies. Just wow!

Yeah, it's crazy to think how much more veggies and good things I eat now.  I think before my first challenge the only veggies I ate were corn and green beans, sometimes some peas, and then salads.

Tate, awesome job! For the intervals, are you stopping when you have to, or when the app tells you? 12:49 min mile is great, btw. :)

I have the same workout procrastination issues, lol. But at least they are getting done, eventually!

Thanks.  I am doing everything the app tells me too.  Looking at the rundouble site, there was a few times I was on a 9 or 10 minute pace.  Not long, but it was there ;)

You go Tate kickin ass!

I saw you post on someone elses thread, didn't recognize it was you for a minute...curse your sudden yet inevitable avatar change!

:D  Sometimes I got to change it up haha.  I even glanced over my own post in another thread because I forgot my avatar was different haha.

Ah that's awful about the bike, sounds like you've gotten over it somehow though. I don't know much about bikes I have to admit, the majority of my exercise comes from my stationary bike and I have a mountain bike that someone bought me but it's been at my Mum's for the last year and a half because I lived in a flat without storage, I've just moved to a nice house with a garden and a shed though so she might be bringing it over for me tomorrow and then I can go out and find me some places to ride. I'm not confident enough to ride on the roads though which is why I prefer mountain biking hehe

Yeah, I haven't been biking out on the road for a long time.  Maybe even 15 years or longer.  There are quite a few areas that I think I would be scared to ride on the road.

• Like 1

We usually split in in half.  Take out the seeds, then put EVOO and salt and pepper on it, then stick in in the microwave for 10 minutes or so.  I made one tonight, but tomorrow I am going to make some chili, and am going to roast the other spaghetti squash in the oven.  Then I can put chili over it :)  Pretty much going to follow this for roasting http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash-178036

I hope my wife does well too.  A lady at work brought in Krispy Kreme Donuts, so my wife brought them home.  Holy smokes I never wanted to eat a donut so bad before.  I was making dinner, and took a smell of them, and it was almost an instant "MUST STUFF IN MY FACE" moment.  I resisted though.  Of course I have been thinking of them all night.  I would love to eat one.  I won't though.  I hate that even with me not being hungry because I ate food, my brain tries to tell me I am starving and need to eat those donuts. 

Anyhow, off to run :)

mmmm spaghetti squash. I love it but my husband is not a fan but likes other squashes. I think that because he's Italian, it just doesn't cut it as a replacement for pasta. Now, chili with spagetti squash sounds amazing! I may have to try that. I use the same recipe for roasting, and sometimes I just eat it out of the skin after roasting with EVOO, salt, and rosemary. Ok, all this food talk is making me hungry even though I just ate.

Good job on the Krispy Kremes! That's the one kind of donut that I have a had time resisting, especially when they're fresh and warm. I never feel good after eating donuts though. Kudos!

You go Tate kickin ass!

tumblr_lj5mnjfxRh1qayr1io1_500.gif

Daily Battle Log
Challenge 1 | 2 |
3 (unfinished) | 4

Follow me on fitocracy!

PRs: 205 lb (deadlifts) | others to follow

mmmm spaghetti squash. I love it but my husband is not a fan but likes other squashes. I think that because he's Italian, it just doesn't cut it as a replacement for pasta. Now, chili with spagetti squash sounds amazing! I may have to try that. I use the same recipe for roasting, and sometimes I just eat it out of the skin after roasting with EVOO, salt, and rosemary. Ok, all this food talk is making me hungry even though I just ate.

Good job on the Krispy Kremes! That's the one kind of donut that I have a had time resisting, especially when they're fresh and warm. I never feel good after eating donuts though. Kudos!

tumblr_lj5mnjfxRh1qayr1io1_500.gif

The first time I tried spaghetti squash, I was like "To hell with this being a replacement for noodles"  I recalled so many people saying "Oh, it's just like spaghetti"  Except it isn't !  So once I was ok with that, I liked using it.  It will never be a 1 to 1 replacement, but it is a decent substitute.  

I made chili yesterday.  It is a little thin since there is no beans in there, but it should be fine.  Going to roast the other squash today to have with it later.

Last night I got a walk in, and did my Day 6 of 30 Days of Change.

Once again, I didn't start this morning off with a workout like I want.  Maybe it's because my wife is home or something.  I don't know.  I feel weird trying to do workouts in front of people I guess.  Ehh whatever ;)  I'll get day 7 done today, and get C25K Week 6 finished off.

I won't be getting any extra bowling practice done this week, but maybe I can get a few drills done in front of a mirror tonight too.

• Like 1

The first time I tried spaghetti squash, I was like "To hell with this being a replacement for noodles"  I recalled so many people saying "Oh, it's just like spaghetti"  Except it isn't !  So once I was ok with that, I liked using it.  It will never be a 1 to 1 replacement, but it is a decent substitute.  

I'd have to say I mostly agree with you about that...although I have a major caveat. On it's own spaghetti tends to be a startchy mostly tasteless boring item, whereas Spaghetti Squash has a lot more dimensions of flavor off the bat. Might just be me about that, but I think most people don't generally have most pasta without a decent amount of sauce or other items and might not realize what the taste of the spaghetti is like, consistency/texture is a totally different item all together and that's somewhere the squash might actually fall flat, sadly.

Once again, I didn't start this morning off with a workout like I want.  Maybe it's because my wife is home or something.  I don't know.  I feel weird trying to do workouts in front of people I guess.  Ehh whatever ;)

I hear you with that one, I have a bit of that issue too, part of the reason why I try to keep my exercising at home. Of course after 8 years of living by myself I'm going to be stuck having the prewife as a housemate in about a month or so...no clue what I'll necessarily do at that point, but perhaps I'll just find a little hidey hole to do my exercise in, out of sight. Do you have a section that you could hide and do exercise in that she might not watch? Bedroom, spare room, office, bathroom? 

• Like 1

4.44%
4.44%

I'd have to say I mostly agree with you about that...although I have a major caveat. On it's own spaghetti tends to be a startchy mostly tasteless boring item, whereas Spaghetti Squash has a lot more dimensions of flavor off the bat. Might just be me about that, but I think most people don't generally have most pasta without a decent amount of sauce or other items and might not realize what the taste of the spaghetti is like, consistency/texture is a totally different item all together and that's somewhere the squash might actually fall flat, sadly.

I hear you with that one, I have a bit of that issue too, part of the reason why I try to keep my exercising at home. Of course after 8 years of living by myself I'm going to be stuck having the prewife as a housemate in about a month or so...no clue what I'll necessarily do at that point, but perhaps I'll just find a little hidey hole to do my exercise in, out of sight. Do you have a section that you could hide and do exercise in that she might not watch? Bedroom, spare room, office, bathroom? 

Yeah, I agree about pasta.  Plain old pasta is kinda nasty with out something with it. 

For exercise, I was going out back and getting it done in the past.  What I did last night, was got my kid in bed first.  Then my wife goes to bed to usually.  So I went for a walk, then came home and did the exercising in the living room.  Most likely what I will do tonight.  I'm sure I could always just head upstairs for a little while to get things finished too.  

Good luck finishing off week 6 of C25K, sure you'll do great :)

Thanks.  I had done it once before, so I hope it will be fine.  If it works out well, then I should be back on track for week 7.

Alright, got in in my run tonight.  :)  And it was even faster then previous time too haha.  Afterwards, I got in Day 7 of the 30 Days of change too.

Previous run 05/09/14

14149768065_c8eb61bf83_n.jpgWeek 6 done!  1.58 miles in 22 minutes. #nostoppingme by Will Tate, on Flickr

Tonight's run:

14432637884_25a99edf1d_n.jpgRepeat of week 6 done.  22 minute run by Will Tate, on Flickr

I'll fire up a week 1 summary tomorrow morning.  Didn't do any bowling things there, so I get a 0 for the week there.

Week 1 wrap up time :)

Goal #1:  Sleep

I'd say I am a 6.5/7 this week.  Last night I stayed up a little later (12:30) so I missed my 12:15 cutoff.  Not too worried about it though.  Generally, it wasn't too hard getting to bed.  I seemed to fall asleep quickly enough most nights too.  Though There were a few nights I was restless for whatever reason.  Last night was an example.  I just wake up feeling I just didn't get good sleep.  Ahh well, there are just some nights like that.

Goal #2:  Whole 30, IF, No snacking!

Whole 30 has been going great so far.  I didn't have as big of a cook weekend as I wanted this last weekend, but still made some food for the week.  Snacking has been close.  There were a couple of times I would grab some raisins or something to start eating, but I usually tried to turn it into a mini meal of sorts.  IF is working out fine as well.  Been sticking to 16-17 hour fasts.  One night I ate laster then I wanted, so that mean I didn't get to eat until like 1:40pm the next day.  It actually wasn't too big a deal.  So I'll say I am 7/7 this week.

Goal #3:  Exercise

Monday started off a little bad for me as I failed on my retry to Week 7 C25K.  I only ran about 12 minutes.  So I started the repeat of Week 6 on Wednesday.  Then finished last night with a 22 minute run.  Each day of the Week 6 repeat was faster then the last time I did it.  Overall I am pretty pleased with that.  I should be able to get Week 7 in the books without issue now I think.  I did a 30 Days of Change workout each day.  Not all at a level I wanted, but I will get there as I keep going.  I also did pretty well on doing some warmup and stretches afterwards.  Not 100%, but a good start.  Giving myself a 7/7 on this one

Goal #4:  Hit the lanes

Uh oh, I didn't do any bowling practice this week.  Didn't really have the money to go and bowl, and just never really did any mirror drills.  I did do a few practice type throws while I was running, but those don't really count ;)  So unfortunatly, I get a 0/7 here.  I'll improve it this week!

Goal #5:  Be more active

This is an interesting one.  I'd say most times it buzzed me, I got up and did something.  Sometimes I did get a buzz having just done some things.  So I am guessing it just didn't register the movement.  I also set it to 1 hour vs 30 minutes, because it was driving me nuts.  I could barely visit the forums here without being buzzed to death haha.  I'll give myself a 7/7.  

So overall a very successful start I think.  I also dropped 11 pounds this week.  Even though Whole 30 says not to weigh yourself, I did each day anyway.  I was 272 yesterday, but came up a pound for today's official weight.  Still damn happy with the loss.  Maybe next week I can get to that weight i was at in December :D  Here is my stats

06/09/14--06/16/14

Height:  5ft 9in

Weight:  284lbs--273lbs

Neck:  18.3in--18.03in 

Forearm:  12.2in--12.16in

Waist:  52.59in--52.59in

Thigh:  27.55in--26.37in

Bicep:  16.41in--15.51in

Chest:  48.74in--48.74in

Calf:  19.52in--19.01in

Body fat %:  41--41 using US Navy Calc

• Like 2

RougeWelkin - "prewife" bwahahahah.  Love this.  Anytime anyone says fiance I think of that Seinfeld episode...

Tateman! Looks like you're doing awesome.  The wife's surgery is coming up soon, yes?  

An alternative for "secret" workouts is to do a quick bathroom bootcamp before showering - dips & push-ups using the edge of the tub, BW lunges, squats and planks.  A friend of mine used to do this because she has a small kid and never got a minute to herself! 

• Like 2

Yup, wife has surgery on Wednesday.  Not sure of what time yet still.  She will have it, then stay at the hospital for up to 2 days.

Nice secret workouts :)  I haven't had much problem doing them with my youngest son around, so i don't know why I couldn't just do them anywhere.  Before i did them outside even with people in the house.

• Like 1

Yeah, I used to do wall push-ups when I was in the shower a long long time ago, so the bathtub always seems like a possible work out location for me...sometimes...can't do full push ups in there though, not long enough 80(. 

Looks like you had a pretty decent first week, and it's good to hear that you're staying positive about everything. I can definitely attest to the no snacking being a difficult thing to do. Measurements look great!

Here's hoping that things go well with your Wife's surgery, hopefully it'll help her improve and maybe join in on your journey.

4.44%
4.44%

Hope your wife's surgery goes well. And way to kick butt on week 1! And the stat changes already. Awesome. :)

Thanks :)  Looks like we need to be there at 10:30am for the pre-surgery stuff.  So it will probably happen around noonish.

Yeah, I used to do wall push-ups when I was in the shower a long long time ago, so the bathtub always seems like a possible work out location for me...sometimes...can't do full push ups in there though, not long enough 80(. 

Looks like you had a pretty decent first week, and it's good to hear that you're staying positive about everything. I can definitely attest to the no snacking being a difficult thing to do. Measurements look great!

Here's hoping that things go well with your Wife's surgery, hopefully it'll help her improve and maybe join in on your journey.

Thanks.  This week was a lot of me just getting back into doing workouts and such.  I'm feeling good for week 2 :)  I am really hoping this all helps her out a lot.  She is going to drop a lot of weight right away i am sure.  Eating liquids and no lump soft foods for 4-6 weeks will do that.  Of course some of that weight might be muscle too.  My hope though, is that the loss of weight will improve the pain she has in her knees, and make it more likely for her to exercise.  Of course eating healthy would be great too once she can really start to eat normalish foods again.

Awesome week one!  I'm sure you'll get back into the swing of things with the bowling practice (pun definitely intended  :playful: )

haha yeah, I expect I will turn that around.  Maybe I will take a bit of time today before I get ready for league night to practice in the mirror.

Awesome first week! Doing C25K plus 30 days of change at the same time sounds intense!

Best wishes for your wife's surgery.

So far it isn't too bad.  I have been skipping the cardio parts of the workouts since I am doing C25k.  I am getting back to the habit of walking every other day too.

Eek, sorry about the double post!

No biggy.  I have had it happen to me a few times too.  Seems to be happening quite a bit lately.  

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines