• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Aaaaaand I'm back for another one! I'm feeling very good still about how I did last challenge, and am looking forward to accomplishing even more this challenge. So here are my goals for this one, shaking things up a little bit from the last 2 challenges...

Goal 1: Lose pounds, body fat and inches

Most of my past challenges, I've focused on one or the other of these individually. This time, I'd like to go for the combo! A win for me would be to see all three of these numbers go down, even marginally, this challenge. These may be a bit ambitious, but I'm willing to try to see where this leads. The good thing is that if 2 of these go down, they generally will be positively affecting the third metric.

Starting weight: 186.4 lbs

Max goal: 180.4 (6 lbs lost)

Starting body fat: 26.86%

Max goal: 25.36% (1.5% body fat lost)

Starting midsection measurement: 38.5"

Max goal: 37" (1.5" lost)

Points available: 1 CON, 1 WIS, 1 CHA

Goal 2: Gym time 3x per week

Last challenge, this fell by the way side for the last week or two when I got sick, and I haven't been back since. But I've actually been itching to get back into the gym. I will be doing my regular routine of pushup training (wanting to work slowly towards handstand pushups), graduated pull-up training (hopefully finishing that and moving more permanently into full pull-ups and chin ups), and planking. I'm gonna shake up my leg routine, since I admittedly do not love assisted pistol squats, which is what I had been doing. So I'll be moving back into barbell squats. If anyone has any good leg exercise suggestions, body weight or otherwise, I'm open.

Oh yeah, the one potential wrench thrown into this goal, is that the last 5 days of the challenge, I will be in India (part of a month-long trip). My intention is to keep up my normal workout schedule, which is why it would be helpful to have a couple of bw leg exercises I can be working on when I'm not able to do barbell squats.

Points available: 2 STR, 2 DEX, 1 STA

Goal 3: Supplement gym time with PLP

I'm behind on my blog reading, but I just recently read Steve's article on PLP, and I got really excited about it. I started Day 1 today. Because I'm nowhere near being able to do 10 pull-ups, I'm doing the 1 rep on day 1 for each exercise and progressing from there. I have enough strength to be able to do at least 1 not so great pull up, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this helps me, in addition to the graduated pull-up training, be able to do more pull-ups with better form. Ordinarily, I would hold off on something like this until I was able to do them better, but this seemed like a good opportunity to get better at a skill I've been working up to for a long time.

Points available: 2 STR, 1 DEX, 2 STA

Life Goal: Back to Paleo

Paleo during Lent completely rocked! Since then, I've been trying to keep my non-Paleo meals to 1 per day, which has helped me keep on track. But I have definitely noticed that my progress, while still being progress, slowed way down. I also like how I feel when I eat Paleo, which is much less sluggish, more energized and generally more healthy. Last time I tried to work in new recipes, which I had marginal success on. As part of this goal, I want to finish what I started and try another 3 new recipes. This goal will also be a challenge once I'm in India (Indian food is amazing!!), as Indians cook a lot with yogurt, and there will be many vegetables I won't be able to eat due to water conditions. Any suggestions here would be welcome as well.

Points available: 1 STA, 1 WIS

So there you have it! Feeling inspired and ready for this fight.

• Like 2

I'm doing Paleo, so here I am to observe the noms. Also, the pull-up goal is awesome. Looking forward to see your progress!

Awesome, dude! Glad to have you. Hopefully there will be some good noms posted. :)

Looks great. Carry on.

Thanks!

-----

Update for today, was going to go to the gym, but ended up moving/cleaning up chairs in the theatre today for about an hour and a half. I figure two of them stacked weighed about 15 lbs, times over a hundred, in a non-air conditioned theatre (where you at, Physical Plant?) gave me a pretty solid work out! I may try to go tomorrow instead, but this was certainly no loss! :)

I should go to bed, though. Was feeling a bit off today...hope I'm not coming down with something again. :|

Another very physical day at work, moving various items from the theatre to where they are stored in and around the building, all part of deconstruction of our seating units. My arms are feeling a bit like jello at the moment, and I can definitely feel it in various areas of my back and legs too. Tomorrow I have some help for the heaviest parts, so that will be good.

PLP is also going well, I completed Day 5 today. It's definitely getting a little harder, and today was the first day that I broke it up into multiple sets.

Paleo also continues well, but nothing super interesting to report yet, food-wise. :)

• Like 1

Great challenge and great start!  :D

Moving 100+ 15lb chairs definitely counts as a workout :P An Assassin No-Gym workout by the sounds of things! 

I'm sure you're going to be awesome :) I shall be keen to see what your pull ups do! I know that they've been a major goal for a while :D

PLP 3/3 this morning

Today will hopefully finalize deconstruction of our seating units. I have a friend coming to help me with the platforms, as they are at least 80-100 lbs each. I've done as much deconstruction as I can by myself, so it'll be good to have a buddy today. We will also be moving the metal stair units back to storage, and those are probably around 40-50 lbs apiece. I may or may not go to the gym today afterwards. ;)

Paleo also continues well, and I can tell my body is adjusting back. Hopefully that will bode well for my weigh-in on Friday morning. :)

Also, even though I am still a little sick, I think I may be getting better. Could still probably use more rest—thankfully I am on summer hours now, so out of here by 3:30pm. That leaves plenty of time for a nap. :)

• Like 1

PLP at 4/3 this morning. I'm still kinda doing a modified pull-up where I give myself a little push off the ground to start. But I've noticed that it has gotten a little easier. This morning, at the bottom of my first pull-up, I was able to go right into the second without needing to push off. That's progress if I've ever seen it! :)

Yesterday, I think I strained the left side of my back. It was pretty tender after my former student and I finished the heavy lifting. I can still feel it a little bit today, but a nap yesterday afternoon, and going to bed on time last night so I got nearly 8 hours has definitely helped. I still have a little bit to do in the theatre today, which includes some lifting, but I'm going to try to take it easier, or maybe favor my right side a little bit more in how I'm lifting things. Also, properly lifting things will help. ;)

Also yesterday was not a perfect Paleo day, but I"m not too worried about it. I took my former student to Starbucks after we finished the hard work. I almost got a frappuchino, BUT the victory came when I chose to try a smoothie instead. So really only went non-Paleo on the dairy portion, rather than dairy and lots of extra sugar. In the past, I would've just said screw it and gone for the frappuchino. :)

• Like 1

I'm still in the habit of weighing in on Fridays, since it works for me, so here goes!

Week 1 Progress Report

Weight: 184.8 lbs (down 1.6 lbs overall)

Midsection: 38.5"

Body fat: 27.17% (up 0.31% overall)

PLP: Going strong

Paleo: Also going well. More on that below...

Really happy about my weight going down this week. A bit over average, but I suspect that's cause my body is adjusting back to the more healthy eating habits. Sadly my body fat went up, but I know that's because my midsection didn't budge, which it will in the coming weeks. :) PLP is 4/4 for today.

Regarding Paleo, I plan to follow it about 80% of the time, so I figured if I eat about 3 meals a day, 7 days a week for 6 weeks, that's a total of 126 meals. 80% is about 101 meals, leaving 25 for me to do with as I please. So as of this post, I am instituting Non-Paleo Tokens! (Somehow those feel like they should be an offshoot from a Mario Bros. game. :)) With my smoothie on Wednesday, and a non-Paleo lunch today (chicken kabob salad with pita bread from heaven!), I'm now down to 23 NPTs. I don't have to use all my tokens during the challenge, but they are there if I need them.

Finally, today was another physical day at work (though less so than Monday-Thursday) as I was taking down lights from our lighting grid. Each lighting unit (depending on what kind it is) weighs anywhere between 5 and 15 pounds. I'm about a third to half way done with the job, so more of that on Monday. Though Monday, I will probably opt for the gym as well, since hopefully my cold will finally be but a memory.

Overall a very good week 1!  Looking forward to week 2. :)

• Like 1

I have to second Elastigirl those tokens sound like an awesome idea! I might just have to steal that myself :P 

And it sounds like a great first week :) You're already down more than one a half pounds and your BF% hasn't changed so definitely a win there I think! (I'm not going to count that as 0.31% is a tiny amount ;):P )

Keep up the awesome work my good man! :D

Love the non-paleo tokens idea!

I have to second Elastigirl those tokens sound like an awesome idea! I might just have to steal that myself :tongue:

And it sounds like a great first week :) You're already down more than one a half pounds and your BF% hasn't changed so definitely a win there I think! (I'm not going to count that as 0.31% is a tiny amount ;):tongue: )

Keep up the awesome work my good man! :D

Thanks EG and VP! It's already changed the way I think about non-Paleo days/meals, hopefully for the better. I think it's also going to help me budget those times out better across the challenge.

And thanks for the encouragement, as always! I'm not too worried about that BF% number either, as it's only week 2 now. And I know the other numbers will eventually catch up if I keep doing as well as I am.

Sunday's PLP: 5/5

Today's PLP: 5/3/3

PLP is still going well, but definitely getting more challenging! Today I finally head back to the gym after work, so looking forward to that training helping with my PLP in the coming days.

Used 2 NPTs yesterday for lunch and dinner. 21 NPTs left in the bank!

• Like 1

Quick update:

Things continue to go will. On track with PLP—today was day 13 (5/4/4). Went to the gym Monday and today (AT LAST!) and it definitely has been kicking my butt, but in a really good way. Feeling a little DOMS, but not unbearable, so I think doing PLP in conjunction with going back to the gym has been helpful. Which is not to say it hasn't been challenging! :P

Also continue to do well on paleo, haven't used any NPTs yet this week.

If I think about it later, I will try to post my workouts. I was happy to have not lost that much progress, after not having gone to the gym in a month! :)

• Like 1

.... so let me get this straight. You did 13 pull ups?! And in your original post you said you couldn't do 10! So that deserved a round of applause! 

picard_clapping.gif

And well done on everything else too :D Great work on not using up anymore NPTs!

Great choice with Picard! Huge Star Trek fan!!! :D

I mean, my form probably sucks, but I'm at least doing the best I can! :D

Quick updates

Used one token yesterday for breakfast with my best friend (mmm...pancakes...) so down to 20 NPTs left in the bank.

PLP from yesterday was 5/5/4 and today at 5/5/5. Planning on some gym time this afternoon, and maybe some beach time with a friend, not necessarily in that order! :)

Progress Report - Week 2

Weight: 187.6 lbs (up 3.2 lbs since last week, up 1.2 lbs overall)

Midsection: 38.5" (no change)

Body fat: 26.64% (down 0.53% since last week, down 0.22% overall)

Gym time: So far 2/3, with a third workout scheduled for this afternoon

PLP: Going strong

Paleo: Also still going well

So weight went up this week by around 3 lbs. But I'm not all that concerned about it. I started strength training again this week, which is likely what's throwing that off. Also, my midsection is starting to move, but it wasn't close enough to the next quarter inch for me to round down, so I still rounded up. But the encouraging thing is is that it is actually moving in the right direction. If I continue to stay the course as I have been, I should see that move by next week. I'm very pleased with the movement in my BF% this week, at over half a percent lost total! Excited to see all three metrics start going down, which I know they will. :)

• Like 1

All right, here's my workout from Monday, 6/16...

Warmup

Assisted Pull-ups: 12 (70lbs offset) / 6 (60lbs) / 2.5 (50lbs) / 1.5 (40lbs)

Squat/Lunge Combo: 10 / 8 / 6 / 4

Triforce Pushups (for all you Zelda fans out there): 12 / 10 / 8 / 4

Planks: 60sec / 40sec / 30sec

Cool down/stretch

• Like 1

Workout from Wednesday, 6/18...

Warmup

Assisted Chinups: 12 (70lbs) / 6 (60lbs) / 2.5 (50lbs) / 1.5 (40lbs)

Barbell Squats: 12 (bar) / 12 (5lbs) / 12 (10lbs) / 12 (15lbs)

Pushups: 12 / 10 / 8 / 6

Side Planks: 45sec / 30sec / 20sec

Cool down/stretch

• Like 1

So yesterday, I didn't end up making it to the gym after all. I worked from home most of the day (and for part of it from the beach! :D) and never made it over to campus. But today, I ended up helping a recently graduated student finish cleaning up his senior show for a few hours. Tried to hit up the gym afterwards, only to find out that they close at 3 on Saturdays! :-/

However, I made up for it by working out in my room instead, since most of my stuff is bodyweight. In fact, today all my stuff ended up being bodyweight. I attempted to do a pull up without modifying it in any way, regular grip, starting in a free hang and, well, you'll see how it went below... ;)

Today's workout:

Warmup

Pull-ups (the real deal!): 3.5 / 2.5 / 2 / 1.5 :D

Squat/Lunge Combo: 11 / 8 / 6 / 4

Triforce Pushups: 12 / 11 / 8 / 6

Planks: 1:10 / 45 / 30

I may still try to finish my graduated pull-up training, but we'll see.

Yesterday, my roommates and I hosted Food Club, after a year of not having it. Our theme was Italian and, surprisingly, it was mostly healthy! We grilled a ton of different things. Here's what we had on offer:

The Healthy:

• Zucchini spaghetti (aka grated zucchini), sauteed in olive oil
  • Grilled pineapple
  • Grilled red peppers wrapped in prosciutto
  • Grilled eggplant
  • Kale chips

The Less-Than-Healthy

• Italian sausages (3 different varieties)
  • Manicotti
  • Sangria (okay, so not really Italian, but... :P)
  • Pinot grigio
  • Italian ice (lemon and almond flavors), topped with amaretto (so freaking delicious!)

So needless to say, I used up a non-Paleo token for that meal. But it was absolutely worth it!! 19 NPTs left in the bank. :)

• Like 1

Awesome! Those foods sound awesome! I am definitely a fan of zucchini spaghetti and such myself :P 

That sucks about the gym, but at least now you know :) And it's awesome about your pull ups :D Well done!