Elastigirl and the Great Minion Challenge

Hey Elastigirl,

Popping in from the Mario Kart challenge. Great videos. I like the GMB Flow. I've never seen it before and now I had to go look it up. That looks like a fun workout.

I love it when people include action shots and videos in their challenges. It's hold more impact than "did some handstand kickups". Thanks for posting.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

To me, the problem looks like you're tensing up and not committing to the move.  You're certainly strong enough to kick up into a handstand, so that's not the issue.  Do you have any mattresses or other soft objects that you could brace against the wall?  Maybe if you had no reason to fear smacking into the wall, it would be easier for you to just throw yourself into the move.  A lot of gymnastics moves seem to require just throwing your body into the move and hoping for the best. 

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Looking forward to the video. Sledgehamer workouts, is it similar to mace training i wonder?

Keep up the good work and kick ass in the MarioKart challenge :)

Level 10 Bleu Gardien Assassin of the Lanomia Clan

Buddhist, Traceur, Martial Artist, Assassin, Templar

Strenght: 22 Constitution: 9 Dexterity: 4 Wisdom: 12 Stamina: 11 Charisma: 5
- My Epic Quest: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/28629-an-assassins-epic-quest/
- My Tenth-th Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56054-cobaltswords-journey-chapter-10/

- Daily Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51677-cobaltswords-journey/

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle" - "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

You don't suck at them, you're still figuring things out. :) And I think you're on the right track, you see how your first attempts are tiny and then you go bigger and bigger? Well, keep going even bigger and you'll get there. :D

Now for some perhaps slightly more useful advice. In your first attempt you're pretty much placing your arms and then kicking up. That means instead of transferring the momentum you're in fact breaking, boo. It also means that your shoulder angle is already off from the beginning which will make it more difficult in your freestanding handstands. I'd suggest that instead of starting of with one foot in front of the other, start with your feet together and then step into a biiiig lunge. This is where the momentum comes from and the bigger the lunge the less you have to kick. In your big lunge reach for the floor, keeping your hands glued to your ears the entire time, push off with the standing leg and swing the lifted leg rather than kicking it. Think see-saw. :)

But before you figure things out, you usually have to suck at them :) I wasn't trying to be down on myself, just trying to make a joke, because that what Steve's blog was about this week. I'm not worried that I don't have them.

Thanks for the advice.Tried it today.It felt better. I need to relook at the Coach Megan video on kicking into handstands that you posted in the handstand study group(I think it was you, if not just smile and nod at me

Hey Elastigirl,

Popping in from the Mario Kart challenge. Great videos. I like the GMB Flow. I've never seen it before and now I had to go look it up. That looks like a fun workout.

I love it when people include action shots and videos in their challenges. It's hold more impact than "did some handstand kickups". Thanks for posting.

The GMB workout is very fun. Posting videos is not only fun to see, I get good tips, and plus I get to look at myself. Its hard sometimes with beginning stuff it is hard but I am always glad I did

Man I am late to this party, sorry! Great goals and off to a good start! You are truly inspiring! Subbed for Minions and just sheer awesomeness.

I need to go check out your thread . Are you still in 1980 or have you moved on? :playful:

To me, the problem looks like you're tensing up and not committing to the move.  You're certainly strong enough to kick up into a handstand, so that's not the issue.  Do you have any mattresses or other soft objects that you could brace against the wall?  Maybe if you had no reason to fear smacking into the wall, it would be easier for you to just throw yourself into the move.  A lot of gymnastics moves seem to require just throwing your body into the move and hoping for the best. 

Not so much fear of hitting the wall as fear of being in a handstand, with my feet over my head. I know logically that makes no sense, since I have done at least a few seconds of freestanding handstand, but somehow as I kick up there is still a part of me that freaks out. Nothing to do but keep practicing, until my brain submits :tongue: 

Yea I agree with Nymeria, you're definitely tensing up in the shoulder area.

It's a head problem!

I am amazed at your perseverance with working through all this handstand stuff. My hat off to yo!

So you are saying a have a head problem?  :playful:

Minion.png?v=1375895380866

Looking forward to the video. Sledgehamer workouts, is it similar to mace training i wonder?

Keep up the good work and kick ass in the MarioKart challenge :)

Here is where I get the idea from. Only I don't call it shovelglove or wrap a sweater around it....That is not the assassin way

http://www.shovelglove.com/

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Spent my time posting video's yesterday, so I didn't report on my challenge or workout.

First off, even though I don't have a written epic Quest, I  have some stuff in my brain. One thing I wanted to do was read the entire Bible and I completed that goal yesterday. I posted about it here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/29548-gods-awesome-word/page-3#entry1069299

Tuesday:

Tracking Food: yes

Walk with pushups yes

visualize  yes

Wed

Track food yes

walk with pushups : day off

visualize: yes walking handstand

Practiced some of the tips you guys gave me. I really didn't focus so much on going all the way up, as just these cues

1)straight legs

2)seesaw motion

3)trust my strength

Seemed to work well. Hard to tell how high my leg is going, but in my mind it was amazing :) 

I am still having fun practicing the GMB flow. I also did some sledgehammer swings for 6 minutes

And then bodyweight stuff. I am in the Mario Bodyweight challenge. I did some GTG squats and pushups and then during my workout decided to try burpees. They were not near as awful as I remember. Tough, but not torturous. I think burpees and I are going to have to be friends, or I will get left in the dust on the racetrack. Which is how it works when I play the game, but I'm trying for different results here :playful: 

Tuesday

Warm up

Warm up squats

Shoulder slides

Handstand 30 s x 2

10 warm up squats

Pull ups 2 x5

Squats 20 x 5

Shrimp 5 x 5

Metabolic work out 30s on 30 s rest

Clean

Squat

2x swing

Total 33 push ups 100 BW squats,50shrimpsquats.12 30#goblet, 10 pull ups, =172 points

2 pull ups ,2,2,2

Wednesday

Warm up

Wrist stretches 30 sec

Lunges 10 front,10 side, 10 back =40 lunges (not counting side)

Hollow body plank 15 s x 2

GMB flow

Sledgehammer 6 minutes

Burpees 25 5 burpees 1 minute rest x 5

40 lunges

1 plank

Burpees 50

20 pushups

40 squats=

151 points

• Like 3

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

With all those kick-up handstands videos, I couldn't resist the temptation:

5614a7bae5f834857f91197.gif

Keep on!

• Like 4

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

awesome update ^^ and thanks for the link it helped and piked my interest indeed :D keep up the awesome work ^^

- My Epic Quest: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/28629-an-assassins-epic-quest/
- My Tenth-th Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56054-cobaltswords-journey-chapter-10/

- Daily Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51677-cobaltswords-journey/

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle" - "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

Burpees are getting easier? I see the pistol squats and push-ups you've been doing recently have paid off ;)

And all the jump tucks I did with GMB helped too, I'm sure. Note that I didn't say easy though, just not as difficult.

• Like 1

Today

walk with pushups -yes

tracked food-yes

visualize- oops forgot, hang on I'll be back in a minute----ok, yes done-in my head I can do an awesome handstand kickup

took a video of my pushups today, just for a form check. It looks pretty good. Back could be a bit straighter, but overall good form.

Did the beginner bodyweight circuit. Then decided to do another Kettlebell quickie from Neeghar Foonooni, only it was actually only a quickie if your goal was death by kettlebell :playful: I ended up resting more and then bailing before I finished.

It was goblet descending ladder order starting at 10 rep,swings ascending starting at 1. I tried with 30# for swings and 25 or 30 for goblet. You were supposed to rest minimally, but by the end I was dying,maybe because I had already done the BW circuit, or just the no rest.

My workout

push ups 5-video check

Circuit X #

Pike press elevated 10

Squats 10

Pull 2

Lunge 30# 5 (each leg)

Kettlebell workout quickie (which was really tough and not that quick)

Descending ladder goblet squat 30 # 25# 10-5

Ascending swings 5-9

Points for MarioKart 40 push ups , 30 elevated  pike pushups,30 squats.30 lunges,(walking 30#) goblets squats 45=175

2,2,1,1,1,2 GTG pull ups

• Like 3

Hehe, death by kettlebells!

It's all about the rest time isnt it? Some things would be so easy with enough rest but when you have to push through.. horror story :D

And yes, you've got a head problem :P That's what I always say to my kb people when I give them a kettlebell that's only 2kg heavier and suddenly they fail at lifting it. That's a head-problem and has nothing to do with strength or ability :D

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

And then bodyweight stuff. I am in the Mario Bodyweight challenge. I did some GTG squats and pushups and then during my workout decided to try burpees. They were not near as awful as I remember. Tough, but not torturous. I think burpees and I are going to have to be friends, or I will get left in the dust on the racetrack. Which is how it works when I play the game, but I'm trying for different results here :playful: 

Great job for trying burpees. They only get easier with more time. Not easy, like you said. Just easier. :)

I'm not sure how you're going to get left in the dust. You're in first place right now. Assassins and body weight challenges are made for each other.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Hehe, death by kettlebells!

It's all about the rest time isnt it? Some things would be so easy with enough rest but when you have to push through.. horror story :D

And yes, you've got a head problem :tongue: That's what I always say to my kb people when I give them a kettlebell that's only 2kg heavier and suddenly they fail at lifting it. That's a head-problem and has nothing to do with strength or ability :D

And I purposely am picking workouts with less training time this challenge, because that is a weakness, and I appraently must like to torture myself :playful:

Yep, I really do have a head problem. I am learning how much of skills is actually trusting in your own strength and ability. That is part of why I am doing the visualizing this challenge.

Great job for trying burpees. They only get easier with more time. Not easy, like you said. Just easier. 

I'm not sure how you're going to get left in the dust. You're in first place right now. Assassins and body weight challenges are made for each other.

Well Aeron started out the week with 400, and I imagine sometime he can pump that out again. I agree assassins love bodyweight challenges. I gotta do proud by my assassins

edit: Just checked the score and that lead is only 6 points. Gulp, you are  only an inch behind me :hororr: 

• Like 2

Go get 'em, EG!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Awesome recap ^^ everything looking goood :D

btw i meant to ask, i was thinking of getting a kettlebell myself. Do you find they bring a plus to your assassin training? what part of the body do the exercises actually target? Schoulders? :o thanks for your opinion :D

• Like 1

Awesome recap ^^ everything looking goood :D

btw i meant to ask, i was thinking of getting a kettlebell myself. Do you find they bring a plus to your assassin training? what part of the body do the exercises actually target? Schoulders? :o thanks for your opinion :D

I'm sure EG has a more competent answer, but as a kettlebell newbie myself, I'd say that the KB exercises target pretty much ALL of the body. At least for me it's usually DOMS all over... :D

• Like 2

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Sooooo do the visualizations make you happy so far? It sounds like so much fun tbh! And you're doing great! You are a constant reminder that I need to take more videos of myself, it's so helpful! 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines