cmhutch - Training for S.H.I.E.L.D.

cmhutch

Just a heads up: this challenge will probably contain spoilers for Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., because I've got Marvel on the brain, and figured I may as well put it to good use! :) 

After the recent events in D.C. involving the metal-armed assassins, falling helicarriers, and the resurrection of HYDRA, it seemed the mysterious organization known as S.H.I.E.L.D. was finished. I certainly thought so, having been reading everything I could find about them (not much—these guys keep their secrets well) since I watched the news reports of costumed super humans fighting aliens in New York. Everything I found said that they had fallen apart, until a guy in a suit showed up at my apartment, flashed a badge, and asked if I was interested in helping to rebuild a disgraced organization—and maybe save the world a few times in the process. How could I say no to that?

Cue a whirlwind of tests, interviews, and evaluations, and then a long silence. I figured I’d washed out, until this little message showed up:

S.H.I.E.L.D.-logo-6.jpg

Congratulations candidate, your application has made it past the first round of eliminations for S.H.I.E.L.D. recruits, but you haven’t been accepted yet. The next six weeks will be your chance to prove that you have the commitment and self-discipline required to become one of our agents. Succeed and you’ll become a Level 1 trainee. Fail and you’ll join the 90% who didn’t make it this far.

Your tasks are listed below. Complete each with a minimum 80% success rate to be eligible to continue.

Main Quest: Become an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Goal 1: Strength – An agent needs to be physically strong, no matter what department they end up in. You never know what this job will require you to do.  [+3 STR/+2 STA]

Body weight training at least 3x/week (20 times total for challenge) Angry Birds at least once a week for progress measurement, the other workouts can be switched up a bit to keep things interesting.

Goal 2: Flexibility – Being flexible can be invaluable for getting in to—and out of—a wide range of situations. [+2 DEX]

Keep up with sun salutations every morning, and longer yoga practices 2-3x/week (15 total for challenge). Focus on inversions and working up to a handstand.

Goal 3: Coordination – Strength and flexibility aren’t worth much if you trip over your own feet. A degree of poise and dexterity can come in handy, whether in a fight or undercover at a high-class soiree. [+2 DEX/+1 CHA]

Dance workouts 2-3x/week. Video-based routines that require me to learn steps and choreography, with the hope that by the end of 6 weeks I might have traded my two left feet in for one of each.  

Side Quest: Eat Well – Good agents know that what you put into your body greatly affects what you can get out of it. Eat accordingly. [+3 CON]

Week 1: 40% Paleo. Food focus: soda and candy

Week 2: 50% Paleo. Food focus: processed snacks

Week 3: 60% Paleo. Food focus: other sugary drinks

Week 4: 70% Paleo. Food focus: grains

Week 5: 75% Paleo. Food focus: TBD

Week 6: 80% Paleo. Food focus: TBD

Life Quest: Get Ready – shortly after completing these six weeks, you’ll be headed out for some R&R followed by a relocation to your next base of operations. Make sure your affairs are in order, and don’t forget to pack light.

Assignment: Do something each week to prepare for upcoming trip/move. [+1 WIS/+1 CHA]

-          Get rid of/give away/sell stuff

-          Finish up UK trip plan/bookings

-          Sort out money transfers

-          Stay in touch with people I will be meeting up with

-          Finalize budget

-          Plan/make/buy parting gifts for teachers & students

-          Keep up with other to-dos as they pop up

Looks like I have my work cut out for me for the next six weeks—and hopefully a lot longer! I’m off to gather supplies and work a bit more on my game plan. The fun begins on Monday!

• Like 5

Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha.

Member of CNF: TOS

I very much like your style - good luck agent!!!

Thank you! :)

Love the S.H.I.E.L.D. theme!

Thanks! S.H.I.E.L.D. is awesome. :) 

Ohh, this is awesome!

From a personal experience I can tell you that getting rid of stuff feels sooooo Goooood :)

Subscribing….

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to lightening my load.

Looks like you've got a good challenge ahead of you! What kind of dancing are you doing? Various styles?

Enjoy!

I'll probably do a few different ones. I found some jive and latin videos that looked both fun and challenging, so I think I'll start there. Several years ago I took a semester-long ballroom dance class at my university and loved it, despite not being very good at it. This might become a step toward signing up for lessons in the future... :) 

• Like 1

Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha.

Neat theme! Looking forward to following your progress.

• Like 1

Neat theme! Looking forward to following your progress.

Oh, this is going to be fun! :) I can't wait to see what you do with this challenge! You're awesome! I'm following along again! :D

YAY awesome theme!! I love the set up!

Thanks you guys! I'm excited for this one. :)

Week 1, Day 1 Report

Paleo – 45% : 2 eggs, lychee fruit, salad, 2 eggs, beef & mushrooms

Non-Paleo – 55% : salad dressing, hard candy, soda, rice, instant coffee mix, whey protein

Workout:

Yoga – sun salutations 10 min

Dance – Jive 10 min  

Kind of a slow day, but not too bad. One of my coworkers brought soda into the break room and I gave in to temptation, but I'm determined that it won't happen again. Learned a few jive steps from a video and then tried to practice them in tempo to some jive music--that's fast! I managed not to fall on my face, but I certainly wasn't graceful. Still, it was fun and I'm looking forward to trying again. :)

• Like 5

Learned a few jive steps from a video and then tried to practice them in tempo to some jive music--that's fast! I managed not to fall on my face, but I certainly wasn't graceful.

"I managed not to fall on my face" for me would be a full 6-week challenge dance goal.  :D

• Like 3

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

How has the week been? Stayed on target?

How's everything going, lady? :) I know you're kicking butt! 

Thanks for checking in, sorry I went MIA! The inevitable happened and one of my students gave me the flu that's been going around. Spent most of the week sleeping, but I'm back now! Will do a proper write-up soon. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you were sick! It happens to all of us. I am glad you were able to rest up and are feeling better.

• Like 1

Ok, quick rundown and summary of last week:

Monday:  45% paleo, dance workout

Tuesday:  75% paleo, bodyweight workout, mini challenge exercises 

Wednesday:  45% paleo, extended yoga, mini challenge exercises 

Thursday:  45% paleo, mini challenge exercises

Friday:  50% paleo, no workout

Saturday:  25% paleo, no workout

Sunday:  50% paleo, no workout (but I did go for a long walk to celebrate not feeling like death)

WEEK 1 SUMMARY:

Paleo - 48%  success! :)

Dance - 1/15

Yoga - 1/15

Strength - 1/20

Luckily, there's still lots of time to make up for missed workouts!  And I'm off to a good start this week:

Week 2, Day 1

Paleo - 64%  (black coffee, 2 eggs, pineapple, coconut milk, tuna, walnuts, pork w/ bamboo shoots)

Non-Paleo - 36%  (rice, gummy bears, rice, protein powder)

Workout:

Extended yoga - 30 min

Angry Birds Workout : Overhead squat [20/20/15]; Pushups [8/7/6]; Inverted rows [7/7/7]; Plank [90/70/70]

Thanks again to everyone for the support, and for checking in when I disappeared! :)

• Like 5

Hooray for not feeling like death! That is something to celebrate for sure. So I'm guessing this means the flu is pretty much gone? 

It's definitely something to celebrate. :)  The worst of the flu was gone on Sunday, and I'm pretty much back to normal (or at least, as normal as I get...). 

• Like 2

Let´s get better than normal, lets get best :)

I like that!

Week 2, Day 2

Paleo - 69% (banana, coconut milk, mixed nuts, tuna, veggie sticks, chicken, pineapple, lettuce, avocado)

Non-Paleo - 31% (ice cream, gummy bears, protein powder, wine)

Workout:

Dance - 20 minutes jive

Mini Challenge - did some of the stretches/wrist conditioning

• Like 3

Somehow my life went from "not much to do" to "not enough hours in the day," and I'm not quite sure when/how it happened. Work has picked up, with end-of-the-semester test preparations and Performance Night dramas to get ready, and my list of things I need to do before I leave in August has somehow tripled. Trying not to complain, though. I'd rather be busy than bored. :)

Anyway, here's the past few days:

Week 2, Day 3

Paleo - 67%  (egg, coconut milk, walnuts, pork, lettuce, guava, pineapple, eggs)

Non paleo - 33%  (bread, wine, cookies, flatbread)

Workout:

Strength - push ups, inverted rows, tricep dips, wall walks 

Week 2, Day 4

Paleo - 67%  (coffee w/ coconut cream, banana, salad, banana, chicken breast, sweet potato, salad, dragonfruit)

Non paleo - 33%  (candy, milk, wine, cookies)

Workout:

Yoga - 30 min

Week 2, Day 5

Paleo - 55%  (coffee w/ coconut cream, 2 eggs, kimchi, blueberries, walnuts, pork and cabbage)

Non paleo - 45%  (chocolate, frozen yogurt, steamed buns, wine, cookies)

Workout:

Rest day, a little yoga

I'm still eating more junk food than I would like, but I'm definitely more aware of what I'm eating and making some better choices. I think if I tried to do it all at once, I'd probably just give up and end up binge eating ice cream and candy bars. 

• Like 4

Looks like you are staying on top of your challenge well even while being busy. I hope all the end-of-year activities go well!

• Like 1

Looks like you are staying on top of your challenge well even while being busy. I hope all the end-of-year activities go well!

Thanks! I'm doing my best! :) 

Nice! I think you´re on right track with the food tracking.If it works for you, great! Everybody needs to find ones methods that work. 

Second the rather busy than bored statement :)

Yeah, I don't think it will be something  I always do, but I'm hoping it will get me in the habit of thinking more about what I eat so I make good choices without having to track it all later on. 

Update for the rest of the week:

Week 2, Day 6:

Paleo - 44%  (2 eggs, sweet potato, grapefruit, salmon)

Non Paleo - 56%  (rice, cookies, yogurt, goldfish crackers, tequila)

Workout:

Angry Birds – overhead squat (21/22/20), push ups (9/8/7), inverted rows (8/7/7), plank (95/90/80)

Week 2, Day 7:

Paleo - 78%  (2 eggs, kimchi, coffee w/ coconut cream, chicken, carrots, sweet potato, pineapple)

Non Paleo - 22%  (cookies, goldfish crackers)

Workout:

Dance - 20 min jive 

WEEK 2 SUMMARY

Paleo – Goal: 50%  Actual: 63%  Success!

Dance – 3/15

Yoga – 3/15

Strength – 4/20

I realized I haven't updated on my Life Quest at all this challenge, but that doesn't mean I haven't been making progress!

Week 1 - booked the last of my flights, did a "stuff" inventory to figure out how much I have and how much I'll need to dispose of before I go

Week 2 - booked theater tickets for London, did some email planning with the friend I'll be travelling with, made arrangements to visit my cousins who are currently living in the UK, started the toss & donate process for some of my stuff.

I know I was going to write more, but I've forgotten it and I have to run to class. Kindergarteners wait for no one! :)

• Like 3

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines