• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

cobaltsword

Cobaltsword's Journey: Chapter 8

Cobaltsword's Journey: Chapter 8

wow 8th challenge, already...time move's fast. And when i look back at myself, i see myself in the best shape i've ever been. And i'm still going. :D I would like to give a shout out to all the Nerd Fitters and a big thank you to Steve Kamb :)

now on to the challenge.

with the Spartacus Challenge on the far horizon, i'm focussing on getting fit for that specefic goal. Which coincides pretty well with my ultimate goal of becoming a true Assassin. Thus i'm training myself for functional strength and bodily endurance. But i need to build some muscle for that, hence this new challenge.

Diet Goal: Eat enough calories/protein...! (Con +1)

i've figured my daily intake over this last week to be around 2500 calories; thus to build muscle I need to eat more and will start with a goal of 3000 calories (thank you, Steve's articles on building muscle). This is going to be tough, because it's going to be a lot of food and studying my body changing. Hope this one goes well.

Right, rewrite on this challenge. I had an epiphany, trying to eat 3000 calories would be too much of a giant's leap. So we're going baby steps, and i'm making this challenge to drinking a protein shake every day: milk, fruit, protein powder and yoghurt ^^ that will be something already :)

Fitness Goal: Building muscles! (Str +1)

I prefer body weight exercises, but to build muscles i need to make them harder and that's what i'm going to do. Forming progression exercises for my usual Assassin Workout/Gladiator Workout/Spartacus Workout (thanks Neila Rey). So hello weighted exercises, elevated push-ups, pull-ups, dumbbell exercises (only weight i use)...

Life Goal: Living the Virtuous Life! (Cha +2)

Thanks to the blog The Art of Manliness I will try to live according to Ben Franklin's 13 Virtues. I have a grid book for every day of the week, and the 13 virtues. For each virtue broken a cross goes in my book, the goal being having no crosses in my book, and living the virtuous life. These are Franklin's virtues:

1. TEMPERANCE. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.â€
  2. “SILENCE. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.â€
  3. “ORDER. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.â€
  4. “RESOLUTION. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.â€
  5. “FRUGALITY. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.â€
  6. “INDUSTRY. Lose no time; be always employ’d in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.â€
  7. “SINCERITY. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.â€
  8. “JUSTICE. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.â€
  9. “MODERATION. Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.â€
  10. “CLEANLINESS. Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.â€
  11. “TRANQUILLITY. Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.â€
  12. “CHASTITY. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another’s peace or reputation.â€
  13. “HUMILITY. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.â€

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/02/24/lessons-in-manliness-benjamin-franklins-pursuit-of-the-virtuous-life/ (link for those who'd like to read up on it, also abordable for women of course ^^)

Looking forward to this challenge ^^ this will be a good thing to keep my mind off the incoming exam results.

Good challenge to all of you :D

• Like 4

Great goals, interested to watch your progress!

thanks, i'm looking forward to this and your challenge :D

I dig the life goal! Excellent goal, and excellent way to measure it, I think.

Thanks, all courtesy of the Art of Manliness blog ^^ this will be interesting

Awesome. I like the life goal a lot. Gonna have to do that sometime.

Thanks :D you should, it's a fun endeavour; you should check out the article on the AoM blog ^^

It's great to see another well designed challenge from you!  The life goal is interesting, but it looks very challenging.  Maybe rather than aiming for no crosses from the beginning, you should give yourself a grace period to ramp down to no crosses (like, let yourself get some # for week 1, a smaller # for week 2, etc.).  Otherwise, it sounds impossible, but maybe you're just normally a lot more virtuous than I am.  ;)

Using weights sounds like a great idea!  Are you planning on weighting the pull-ups?  I noticed when I had my 3 lb leg brace that a little added weight can make the pull ups a lot harder.

It's great to see another well designed challenge from you!  The life goal is interesting, but it looks very challenging.  Maybe rather than aiming for no crosses from the beginning, you should give yourself a grace period to ramp down to no crosses (like, let yourself get some # for week 1, a smaller # for week 2, etc.).  Otherwise, it sounds impossible, but maybe you're just normally a lot more virtuous than I am.  ;)

Using weights sounds like a great idea!  Are you planning on weighting the pull-ups?  I noticed when I had my 3 lb leg brace that a little added weight can make the pull ups a lot harder.

why thank you Nym ^^ it is going to be but i already started it about two weeks ago. i should have been more specific, the ultimate goal is to have no crosses so for the challenge i'm going to try to work out the virtue in which i lack the most. First week will allow me to figure which one that is :) i don't know if i'm virtuous, but the challenge will bring me towards the ideal (paraphrasing Ben Franklin)

yes weighted pull ups would be the idea, i think i'm going to put on my back pack with a few university books inside when i do XD i can imagine that just a fraction of extra weight makes all the difference.

Allright so update on yesterday:

my training went great, a solid 4 set workout buuut with much harder exercises: goblet squat, elevated close handed push-ups, weighted pull-ups. My back hurts today XD i missed the protein shake i'm afraid but today i'm definetly getting one, post workout perhaps. I wonder how to show my track on the Virtue Challenge, should i post the spreadsheet at the end of the week or give the results every day? i'll think on it.

What i can say is that yesterday the Temperance virtue got a big cross. But i just can't resist my gf's veggie spaghetti bolognese *.*

• Like 1

Late update again :)

it's thursday already and the days just keep moving. So Tuesday i did my training with a good 5 sets and drank my shake (a bit late but nevertheless) and crossed my broken virtues. Wednesday I rediscovered the dreaded burpees and my pecs hurt a lot today but I did do 5 sets with 10-15 reps of burpees inside my usual workout regimen. But i couldn't take my shake because i was at my girlfriends and forgot my powder box at our place Xo

Today i'm afraid i didn't do my workout because i just didn't had it in me. I found out that i failed my history exam and just couldn't get into the mood (i grabbed to the crisps i'm afraid too :/ not much though :) ), but tomorrow it's behind me and i keep on going because i have my last exam saturday.

I think i'll post my Virtue spreadsheets every end of the week to give the overall idea of my weeks to you guys :D but i think i'm goign to have to work on the virtue of Temperance XD i just love cooking too much and the food i put on table, and when my gf cooks i just can't hold myself in Xp

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the history exam.  :(  It's a shame you don't have access to a heavy bag.  Sometimes, punching and kicking something is the best remedy to feeling angry and needing to exercise. 

I'd love to see your virtue spreadsheets!  If I were doing the same exercise, I know that order, tranquility, and humility would be my biggest problems. 

I hope the last exam goes well.  At least you should be a bit less stressed when it's all over.

Sorry to hear about the history exam.  :(  It's a shame you don't have access to a heavy bag.  Sometimes, punching and kicking something is the best remedy to feeling angry and needing to exercise. 

I'd love to see your virtue spreadsheets!  If I were doing the same exercise, I know that order, tranquility, and humility would be my biggest problems. 

I hope the last exam goes well.  At least you should be a bit less stressed when it's all over.

thanks, your concern is really appreciated :) i wish i had a heavy bag sometimes, or a wooden dummy to train on, lacks of funds and space i'm afraid.

Then i will post it at the end of the week for all to see :D maybe you could try the exercise yourself it's a fun endeavour ^^

i hope so too, fingers crossed...

Ah man :( I'm sorry about your history exam!

To throw in with Nymeria's comment about getting anger and stuff, I did some sprints before as a remedy for that and it seemed to help, in case you feel the need again :) 

And I second looking forward to your virtues speadsheet :D

*************   This is a semi automatic message from your future ex robotic guild leader     ********************

Hello! I just noticed that you haven't submitted the Assassin sign-up form.

For those of you new to the guild - this form allow us to list all the members of the guild that use our sign-up sheet, it makes our work easier and allows you to be registered in the phonebook or eligible for the most wanted list! (Please note, this is not the general sign-up, this is an additional sign up for our guild only.)

If it's not done already, make sure to subscribe to the announcement thread to make sure you won't miss any events or informations.

*************   This was a semi automatic message from your future ex robotic guild leader ********************

The end of the first week is coming up and here comes the recap.

Allright i may have slid a bit on drinking my shakes every day, i missed three days in the week :/ but now that my exams are over (for now) i have no excuse to forget them. I'm now at my gf's and i took my protein powder with me so no excuses (in fact i drank one this morning, super tasty :P)

Training wise everything is going great, i'm probably going for a run tis evening. Not sure yet, but i am definetly training, either running or body weight (hellooo burpees, my pecs/schoulders are pretty sore everytime XP)

I'll post the virtue chart soon enough today but i think i know where i'll have to work on most of the 13 virtues: Temperance :/ (resolution got a hit this end of the week but that's context attached so, working on that :D)

• Like 1

Calories for muscles! I must remember this. I want to lose fat and build muscle, so am eating at a deficit. Hmm.

I quite like The Art of Manliness page. I used it recently for their article on straight razor shaving because I picked up a shavette in May.

indeed, The AoM is a great blog, that article has gotten me thinking about getting a straight razor or a safety razor ^^ i'm still weighing it over :)

Sounds like a good time to me :) Well apart from the shakes ;P But now you've got stuff at your gfs there's no excuses! :tongue:

keep up the good work :D

yes no excuses :D

well nearly, today i missed my shake after a good streak. I came down this morning and there was no milk, for the entire day Xo so two shakes tommorrow :P

virtue chart is getting completed easy does it, but my scanner is doing weird so patience will have to be key until i can post my chart of last week :o

today i did a good 5 sets of the assassin workout with burpees, single leg squats bird-dog form and elevated push ups. Got into a nice sweat and tommorrow i'm probably going for a run :D

forgive my absence from the forums my internet has been down and i need to catch up on everyone now :o

End of the Week Update :D

training has been going smoothely. Allthough yesterday was a peculiar day in that i had difficulty in ending the session, i did a solid 4 sets. Today i'm going to try better. I'm thinking of getting a new pair of dumbbells to start the Spartacus Workout as training for my Spartacus Run.

I missed my shakes yesterday and the day before that. Don't really know why, but today i'm making one :D I went for a run 2 times this week and improved my time and speed considerably. I should find a way to see how fast i run just to get an idea (note: i'm going for speed, not necessarily distance when i run).

I'm posting my Virtue Sheet of this week and last week (problems with the scanner are fixed). to be honest i'm really having trouble with the temperance virtue, but i just can't help myself to avoid taking seconds from my gf's cooking :tongue: *sigh*

----

allright the files are too big to upload, going to have to figure this out first... :/

• Like 1

ooooo Spartan Run. Everything about that sounds awesome to me, just not the run part :tongue:

tumblr_n7idhfdxXP1s8ohmto2_500.gif

it's actually called Spartacus Run here in Belgium, but it's just another name for an equivalent of the american Spartan Race. A challenge to build towards ^^ brutal but rewarding i think :D

and thank you for that awesome Gif ^^

Three cheers for getting faster!

thanks ^^

woot for getting faster!

thanks ^^ training is paying off.

Update time:

week 3 already? damn time moves fast

i'm right on track except on my shakes drinking. I haven't had one since monday because my gf and I were staying at our appartement in Brussels and we had to rush back to her place because her dog had gotten ill. In the rush i didn't take my protein powder with me and i don't know when i'll get to go back to get it. Thank god her dog is allright, allthough she's not the same anymore, my gf explained that it had something to do with the upper motor and lower motor neurons of her dog. One of them stopped working for a short periode, as a result Brixi (her dog) was unable to move, respond or stand. She's getting better but she's still not the same anymore. I dread that one day that i know will come...

I completed a good 4 sets of my assassin training + mace exercises (i used a sledge hammer) worked nicely but today my shoulders hurt. I meant to go for a run but i'm too tired so i'm holding a rest day today.

I'm already studying for my seconde session exams, i've got 7 to pass to pass the year. I really want to go to 3de BA :/ at least my papers are aced ^^ (15, 14.5 and 12/20) it's going to be a heavy summer ^^

• Like 1

Ah no! That sucks about your gf's dog, I'm sorry to hear that :( And be careful with your shoulder (he says from painful experience :P ) I think they're more at risk from injury because it's a relatively small joint (don't quote me on that)

But apart from those things seems like your exercise is going well! :) 

Ah no! That sucks about your gf's dog, I'm sorry to hear that :( And be careful with your shoulder (he says from painful experience :tongue: ) I think they're more at risk from injury because it's a relatively small joint (don't quote me on that)

But apart from those things seems like your exercise is going well! :)

I was carefull with my schoulder and didn't suffer anymore pains, i think i was just adjusting to the new movements.

A late update, but i just keep postponning my updates here eventhough everything goes well Oo

i'm just back from an extremely good run and mace training session. I ran twice the dstance that i usually do and my abs were killing me, but in a good way. I wasn't winded, no side cramps or stitches, just my abs that were burning up from the stress XD and on arrival i grabbed the sledgehammer (5kg) and did 3 sets of the mace training while listening to the Skyrim Main Theme!!!

Nothing feels more epic than that, swinging a mace while the Nords sing in your ears (feeling epic)

My Virtue challenge is going well, i even refrained from breaking the Temperance Virtue several times last week so i'm happy about that. I did miss several of my protein shakes last week (due to unforseen circumstances...which prompted me to the idea of making a Bug Out Bag, any thoughts?) but i'm back on the horse this week and kicking it.

So with me feeling very epic and achieved i'll leave this for today and hope i'll achieve the same level of awesomeness in my incoming exams and get to go to my third Bachelor year XD

• Like 2

Cobalt!

I suggest safety razor! I shave exclusively with one, utilizing bar soap and brush for lather.

The reason I don't suggest straight is that while badass (I would say slightly more badass than safety razor) the learning curve and time requirements are much steeper than wit the safety razor.

You won't be sorry about trying it out.

• Like 1