Lady Senie's Mission Possible 02 - Realization

MP02 (Realization) Status Report

Date: 2014 July 04

Subject is quite pleased with herself today; and with good reason.  Today was a day when she ‘got everything right’.  All goals were met and she seems to be filled with purpose.

Goal Evaluation (Pass/Fail)

M1: Successfully design a diet plan to remain on for the next 6 weeks. Pass

M2: Drink 2-3 liters of water daily Pass

L1: Work daily to clean out basement and create basement gym. Pass

L2: Crochet at least 30 minutes daily. Pass

- End Comm

• Like 3

Level 1 Hobbit. Warrior at heart

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 2|CHA 2

Desired Class/Profession: Favored Soul/Warrior

"...But if you want to get what you never got, gotta do something that you've never done" - Mary Mary "Go Get It"

"Reasons or results - you decide" - Shin Ohtake, MAX Workouts

"Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality." - Bruce Lee

"We Become What We Want to Be by Consistently Being What We Want to Become Each Day" - harlanJEN

nope-o.gif

::giggles:: Sounds about right! ^_~

"...But if you want to get what you never got, gotta do something that you've never done" - Mary Mary "Go Get It"

"Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality." - Bruce Lee

"We Become What We Want to Be by Consistently Being What We Want to Become Each Day" - harlanJEN

Congrats!!!!

a-perfect-score-small-copy.jpg

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

MP02 (Realization) Status Report (Missive)

Date: 2014 July 05

While two completely ‘good’ days do not technically equal a ‘roll’, I feel that I’m on my way!  I tried something a little different and set myself a mini-goal for the basement today – just setting up the bookshelf in the basement.  It’s something I’ve been avoiding, so it seemed like a good place to start.  One bookshelf and 2 and a half boxes of books later, I realized just how effect a mini-goal that actually was. It felt REALLY good to simply be making progress again, without being bogged down by EVERYTHING else that I should/could be doing.  I’m in process; everything will not happen all at once.  This is the mantra I am chanting in the back of my heart’s brain whenever I start to feel frustrated with myself. 

- End Comm

Date: 2014 July 06

I learned three very important things today.

1) I have been looking for a Canadian church home for a DECADE now without success.  I think this is because I’ve been waiting for my Old Philly church to materialize up here in Calgary.  Seriously, one of the biggest things I STILL miss about Philly is my church.  The message was right, the people were wonderful, and there was so much to do that I was there roughly 5 times a week.  Two weeks ago I found a church here that reminded me of how much I miss communal worship and how much I want it back in my life.  I had honestly come to terms with the fact that – it seemed – that part of my life was over.  I mean, I’ve been to other churches since and they were alright, but I’m not one to just settle and nothing was the right fit.

Then came Southside Victory church.

I’m right at home in a way I was ‘back in the day’.  I guess the Lord was simply preparing them for me and me for them, and it really does not matter – I am having fun there.  But the thing I learned is this: worship service is EXHAUSTING!  I mean it; mentally, emotionally, and often physically.  The ONLY reason I’m still awake is because hubby has not slept in a couple of days and I’ve been determined to take as much of the babysitting duties off of him as possible.  I am resolved not to go to church on days that I have to work – as much as I hate to admit it, the two activities are simply NOT compatible.

2) Simeon is not ready for Sunday school.  He’s a bright and wonderful kid, but he does not have vast amounts of experience with other children, much less the wonderful, LOUD people in this new environment.  He got confused and frustrated without the kind of routine and structure that he is used to in a classroom setting and lashed out.  Overall, he did pretty darn good given the circumstances, but I don’t want him to grow up hating ‘church time’.  Chris and I talked about it, and we decided to let this be ‘my thing’ for now and maybe trial him on it again when he’s older and better able to understand what’s going on.

3) Although the stress and sheer exhaustion of the day got the better of my diet-wise, the general outline of what I’m attempting is solid and holding.  Point in fact; I was able to stop when the carb craving hit me in my weakest patch.  I’m not halfway through the tub of ice cream in my freezer right now.  And the majority of the serving that I poured myself melted and went into the garbage when I washed the dishes tonight.  If that’s not cause for celebration, I don’t know what is!

My big thing that I’ll be working on is not allowing negativity to rule me.  I find that when I’m actively shutting out the ‘Black Dog’ it’s best not to let the ‘for now’ kind of thinking in.  It’s a ridiculously hard thing to do right now, ‘cause it’s the way I’ve always thought.  You know, the ‘better enjoy it now because the ‘hard’ or ‘bad’ times are right around the corner’ mentality.  But I need to cultivate a new mindset if I’m ever going to truly and permanently change.  My negative/practical attitude has kept me fat and unhappy with my body image for the better part of thirty-five years.  I’m determined that it’s time to try some positivity/optimism on for size.

I just finished prepping for tomorrow, so no excuses to be had.  Mission resumes tomorrow first thing.

M1: Successfully design a diet plan to remain on for the next 6 weeks. Fail

L1: Work daily to clean out basement and create basement gym. Fail

- End Comm

• Like 2

Oooohhhhh ---- wow.  It never hit me how we depressives often struggle because of the idea that good things won't last and that we do not live in a world that will meet our needs.  So ... we don't enjoy what good things we do have, because we think they won't last.  And we often over consume also because of that fear.  Wow - great insight.

Stop by BDT and share what you do for quick fixes when you notice that you are slipping into a depression episode.  ShadowLion and I have a couple things up, but we can use more .... and your great insight here!! 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Worship is exhausting but also gratifying, I'm sure you agree and know that. Of course, if you cannot do two thigns at a time (who could?), you should divide your time: you can alternate days, as you suggest, or maybe you'll find another solution ahead. In fact, I'm sure that if you put in practise what you have learned (specially the third point) you'll see sooner than later improvements in your gestion of time, and your perception of stress.

You have a 50% of sucess, that's good.

• Like 1

Level 4

10 WIS | 2 STR | 2 STA | 2 CON | 5 CHA | 1 DEX

battle logepic quest

The Stoic Path of Virtue: #1 | #2 | #3

Current challenge: Don't break the challenge

Worship is exhausting but also gratifying, I'm sure you agree and know that. Of course, if you cannot do two thigns at a time (who could?), you should divide your time: you can alternate days, as you suggest, or maybe you'll find another solution ahead. In fact, I'm sure that if you put in practise what you have learned (specially the third point) you'll see sooner than later improvements in your gestion of time, and your perception of stress.

You have a 50% of sucess, that's good.

Oh, there's nothing like a good praise party, believe me!  I just want to give my undivided attention to it.  One way or another it will work itself out - that's just the wonder that is God, but in the meantime, I'm having a blast!  I'm smiling about my future. ^_^

• Like 1

Date: 2014 July 10

Strangely enough, I’ve spent the last few days in a writing frenzy.  It’s taken me over; I haven’t been down in the basement at all.  Of course, that might be because hubby and I are making arrangements to get a hitch attached to our car.  The idea is that we can rent a Uhaul flatbed and empty the basement ourselves for less.  It’s equally useful because it would enable us to take a flatbed with us for our motorcycle caravans.  When it’s raining or cold out, it would be nice to be able to simply roll Chris’ bike onto a flatbed and have him in the car to drive home.  Currently, our plan for those situations is either he forces himself to drive home anyway, or we leave the bike somewhere and he takes a bus to it the next day to drive it home.  Not ideal.

I’m reading about other people’s success and feeling stuck right now.  It’s like…  I’m still letting myself be pulled in so many directions, but there’s so much to do and I don’t want to miss out on anything.  It’s frustrating and discouraging; one part of me says ‘just go with it’ and another part says ‘why aren’t you doing more?’  I want so much for myself, but how can I make it all happen. 

Forgive me, I think the Black Dog is moving in. It makes is hard to be positive and not so hard on myself.  I’m achieving good, but not in the areas I set out to.  Right now – well, really it’s been since Monday – I’m enjoying an amazing jolt of creativity in my writing, but that’s getting me no closer to my basement gym.  But if I head into the basement, I’m afraid I’m going to miss out on the progress I’m making with my writing.  There just HAS to be a compromise in there somewhere.

-End Comm

• Like 1

Yea .... it's tough.  I had an off week last week too.  Reading all week because I'd promised a book review .... and then forgot about it. 

Those two tasks might not be able to co-exist since BOTH require at least some creativity, thinking, and planning.   So they can't really be a break for each other.  If you run into this in challenges in the future, think about structuring your goals so that you only have ONE that requires you to make changes and be creative.  Let the others be more routine or be following a plan that someone has laid out for you already (like doing the Angry Birds workout or eating a planned diet). 

Swing by the BDT - we're talking about FIXES for the next week or so.  Some great ideas are surfacing!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

Date: 2014 July 11

I have no permanent solutions for my Black Dog yet; if/when I do, I’ll be happy to share them.  But for today, my solution has been a truly kick-ass song stuck in my head (OneRepublic – Counting Stars) and spending some time with my… ‘bitching buddy’ for lack of a better term.  Maybe ‘whining buddy’ is the right term; it’s certainly more polite.  My Mum is that for me; someone that I can call up to say all the things that I need to break down and say to get through things.  I read somewhere that ‘a true friend is someone that sees through you and still likes the view.’  I can be weak with my Mum and know that she won’t look at me differently after.  She helped me get some ideas on my Black Dog.

My thoughts tend to run round and round in my head when I start stressing about my goals.  The more I stress, the bigger and more unattainable the tasks get in my head.  The more unattainable the tasks seem, the more depressed I get and the harder it is to pull myself out of the slump. Mum suggested that I write it out of my head.  Every part of the task I wanted to accomplish.  By committing it all to paper, I would be bringing the tasks back down to manageable size.  And she was right; that’s exactly what I did tonight.  It really felt good to get some of that stuff out of my head; it’s all been a giant jumble in my head. I managed to achieve most of my goals today, but this is much more important to me in terms of future success.

-End Comm

• Like 2

Date: 2014 July 12

I know how good it is to be around people that have the same types of life goals as you do.  It’s good to compare notes and see ‘it can be done’.  But sometimes it’s bad for me too.  The reason is simple: I don’t like to feel like I’m letting the people around me down.  I see people succeeding and getting the rightful fruits of their labor and I want that too; I want to have success to to share and good things going for me weight-wise.  I jump in, giving it my all and trying as hard as I can for as long as I can…  And then I burn out.  Whatever I have chosen as my ‘sure fire, this is totally going to work’ eventually fails, often leaving me depressed and more overweigh than when I started.  It’s the wrong way to go about things, but the truth is, I’ve been trying to ‘slim down’ and ‘get healthy’ for more than a decade and a half now and I seriously feel like I should be able to do this by now!  I should be able to severely reduce my carb intake – it just makes sense to do it – and yet I’m constantly in this carb-starve, carb-binge cycles that’s been adding pounds to me steadily for the last few weeks.  I firmly decided to not eat out anymore; no more fast food at all.  I’ve been blowing money left and right on hoagies, burgers, and everything else I ca wrap my lips around for those same few weeks.

The worst part is; I know it’s ridiculous and stupid, and I do it anyway.

In a moment of clarity, I suddenly looked at my husband and said ‘you know, it suddenly occurs to me that I am WAAAAY too hard on myself.’  He and I laughed hard about that one, mostly because it’s true.  I’ve been running flat out for YEARS trying to accomplish Level 50 tasks.  I achieve them for awhile, but then it all falls apart and goes away.  I need to stop comparing myself to other people since a part of me already knows that every blessed one of them started at Level 1.  They all struggled with these same things, these same feeling that I do.  But the difference is (likely) that they have built up habits and attitudes by going through level by level.  They took the time to build the kind of psychology and coping techniques that allows them to keep going and keep achieving the good things that they have achieved.  I haven’t put in the kind of dues that allow me time to change my mind, habits, and attitude.  Well, that’s not completely true.  Lord knows I’ve put in the time, just not in the right places and on the right things.

In short, sudden shifts equal bad for me.

What a ‘diet plan’ looks like for me right now is a firm resolve to not go to McDonald’s every other day and use that money to buy things I can make in my house.  I will of course be keeping ‘low carb and low salt’ in mind, but THAT is what my ‘diet plan’ should look like for the simple reason that once I have that goal under control, I can advance to Level 2: making those meals I’m making more Paleo friendly aka reducing the carbs I eat in a day. 

I worked hard yesterday organizing the basement, and it occurred to me that if I don’t start thinking about stabilizing the foundations of my ideology towards health and wellness, then I WILL stall out again and all this basement gym effort will end up just another fad in my life.

M2: Drink 2-3 liters of water daily Fail

-End Comm

• Like 1

Don't worry, the searching for solutions is a long path. When you got something, we'll read them gladly. Meanwhile, you can pick some of the great ideas that have been being shared on the main thread. You're lucky of having such relationship with your mother, and she's right: writing is a great solution in order to organize your own ideas/feelings/thoughts/perceptions. So I'm happy to hear that you did what she suggested and it has worked.

I've notice that you tend to fail designing a diet plan. Have you thought about writing here or in another thread and looking for some  external help. Maybe over here somebody could give you some advice.

Finally, take it easy. Everyone has failed here, too.  And we have different goals. Maybe you see one successful diet, but this guy is failing on something that you actually do right - it happens a lot to me.

Level 4

10 WIS | 2 STR | 2 STA | 2 CON | 5 CHA | 1 DEX

battle logepic quest

The Stoic Path of Virtue: #1 | #2 | #3

Current challenge: Don't break the challenge

Date: 2014 July 14

So, now comes the part where my resolve is tested.  See, it’s easy to make a resolution and keep it for a day.  But a week?  A month?  A year?  THAT’S the true test of fire.  Today was a…  It was one of those days where the minute you put out one fire, another one pops up.  My patient load was heavy and stressful; at one point I HAD to ask for help because I did not have anyone with me to help with the load like I was supposed to.  At one point I had to untangle the mess someone had made of the staggered patient arrival times.  I FINALLY get all of that under control… and someone dies.  I mean it; the guy literally DIED on the treadmill – we had to call a Code Blue and everything. 

Through it all, I stayed true to myself and did not give in to the temptations around me.  I’m two days in and the stress I was under before is gone.  I’m at level 1 and I’m okay with it.

-End Comm

I've notice that you tend to fail designing a diet plan. Have you thought about writing here or in another thread and looking for some  external help. Maybe over here somebody could give you some advice.

Finally, take it easy. Everyone has failed here, too.  And we have different goals. Maybe you see one successful diet, but this guy is failing on something that you actually do right - it happens a lot to me.

I would ask about the diet thing...  But I thought everyone else is smart enough to be on the Paleo thing.  Plus, my failures are more often than not hinging on my own willpower - I know what I should be doing and I have a 'plan'.  But stress or whatever else gets thrown my way makes me just NOT do it. 

Date: 2014 July 15

Movie Night… proved no problem for me.  I ate before I left and drank water LIKE A BOSS throughout the movie.  True, I had to pee like my life depended on it afterwards, but TOTALLY worth it.  ^_^

Oh, and did I mention that I crocheted throughout the movie JUST to make sure I got that in?  ^_~

-End Comm

• Like 2

Date: 2014 July 16

The word for tomorrow is ‘focus’, as I failed miserably at maintaining mine today.  I want to finish strong.  It’ll be easy; just continue doing what I’m doing, but do better!

M2: Drink 2-3 liters of water daily Fail

-End Comm

Maybe you are being too restrictive with the carbs? I'm not saying to go crazy with the junk food, but to upgrade the quality of your carbs. Like fruit and sweet potatoes.

Also, I found it easier to control my junk food cravings by increasing the fat content (just a little) of my meals. Avocado in my salad, and a palm full of nuts in the afternoon went a long way towards keeping me from craving all the sweet stuff we sell at the store I work at. Granted - watch the portions carefully on that stuff (high calories!), but the added willpower was worth it.

Just a thought, anyway. Everyone's food needs are a little bit different.

Sent using Tapatalk Owl Post.

• Like 1

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

Chip away at small changes, and Annie is right.  Dropping carbs down means that you have to meet the calorie needs in other ways .... and that's via protein or fat. 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

MP02 –Realization Mission Debrief

Date: 2014 July 26

F. O. C. U. S.

If I learned anything at all from my latest challenge, it was that I have to focus to succeed.  Not only that, I have to watch what I focus on to make my chosen lifestyle changes work.

Seriously, it is BEYOND ridiculous how much time I have devoted to attempting to emulate other people’s success in my own life without measureable degrees of success.  I have chased friends, neighbors, co-workers, even a whole online community trying to be ‘as good as everyone else’ or ‘not let everyone down’.  I put all this pressure on myself – for no good reason – and then I end up depressed and miserable when I can’t live up to what I’m trying to be in other’s eyes.  It’s exhausting.  It makes no sense.  And yet…  I was looking back just over the last three challenges I’m attempted – this is not even counting the YEARS I’ve been in this pattern of ‘high expectations, progress, inability to maintain momentum, disappointment, erasure of said progress, regret over same, high expectations’- and what I finally see is that I have never really given myself the opportunity to build myself up enough to be able to fulfill the expectations I’ve set for myself.  For example, I WANT to be able to go Paleo in my diet.  But for goodness sake, at this point can barely manage to not eat fast food daily!  Why in the world did I expect to just jump into something so completely against what I’m used to and have it instantly work?  Why did I set myself up for that kind of bitter disappointment when I knew good and well that maintaining a diet like that would require the kind of effort and attention to detail that I was simply not able (for my own reasons) to commit to such a huge change?

The answer is, ‘so I could feel justified when it all fell apart and I slipped back into the welcome arms of my Black Dog’.  At this point I have gotten so used to the PATTERN of failure and disappointment that I seem to unconsciously plan for it.  Again, it’s ridiculous.  And it seemed like something that was almost inescapable.

And guess what?  It’s not.

I have not been hiding from the forums and such out of a sense of shame or disappointment.  I’ve mostly been trying to figure out how to put this... this amazing revelation into terms that don’t make me sound like one of those preachy imbeciles that irritate the crap out of me.  I’m not sure if I’m failing or not, but it’s about time to put this challenge to rest.  I love the energy of my online family, I truly do.  And hearing about all the wonderful things others are accomplishing is a genuine thrill for me.  But that’s as far as I intend to take those thoughts from now on.  It has served no purpose being secretly envious and somehow thinking that if I just crash into someone else’s diet ideas or exercise routine that I can somehow grab the same kind of results through a type of weird osmosis.  It doesn’t work that way.

Sounds obvious, right?  But it’s something that I first had to acknowledge that I was doing before I could stop the behavior.  It’s funny how easily I let myself forget about the flip side of such covetousness.  I don’t know the full picture of anyone’s life but my own, and Lord knows that every single person has their own obstacles and barriers that they are facing.  So looking at other people is very much NOT the way to kick my personal goals into high gear.  Plus, and I’ve mentioned this before in other rants, but as I’ve basically spent the last decade and a half chasing other people’s successes, I have yet to properly build my own foundations for success.  Level by Level, triumph by triumph, until the task is done and I’m the one filling out the Tough Mudder application with no fear of making a bad showing in the competition.  I have to start aligning my goals to that final goal and start with the little things at the starting line rather than trying to start myself off at the halfway point and pushing until I burn out.  That leads to the depression and comfortable failure I’ve come to associate with my weight loss attempts.  And it’s about time I put that mentality away.  It’s about time I finally let myself start that grandiose success story I’ve been trying my best to actively write since I was roughly 23 (I’m 35 this year, just to put things in perspective).

In keeping with this ‘self’ centered approach, my goals in my next challenge will be more basic and smaller, in keeping with the idea that these are my triumphs and tribulations rather than some kind of random, Rocky-style montage that I just happen to be putting down on paper.  I don’t share all the little things that bother me out of embarrassment and shame, but that’s got to change if I plan to realize my dreams.

For that reason, as well as how many steps I managed to take in getting to this final conclusion, I have decided that this challenge was a complete success.  I titled this challenge ‘realization’ and that’s EXACTLY what I have done over the course of the last 6 weeks.  Granted, I didn’t realize exactly WHAT the realization would be when I started, but isn’t that the whole point of such a journey?  I’m looking forward to the next challenge and giving myself those basic, level one goals that will allow me to build the mentality that will bring me that much closer to those lofty, amazing goals I have tooling around in the back of my head.

It’s been a blast, and it’s only going to get better!  I even wrote a whole poem about this stuff that I’ve put in my work locker and over my desk just so that I can read it to myself and remember what I’m really trying to accomplish here.

• End Comm
  • Like 3

Such important realizations! I agree that this was a great challenge for you and you are going to rock the next one! 

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines