Xena runs wild

Xena

I'm going to try to increase the intensity a bit this summer. I also want to remember that it's summer and that this stuff should be fun (hence the "running wild"). I'm going to try increasing my mileage a bit, but also try to run some faster stuff during the warm weather.

1. Run 170 miles I've resisted increasing this goal in the past (usually set at 150), I've decided to rachet it up a bit, but I will adjust if I get sick or injured. Also, I don't usually adapt well to heat...as it heats up, I'll generally need to slow down. I'll use my HR monitor to set an appropriate pace, and be happy with the distance even if it is slow.

As a sub-goal, I'll run a race, hard 5K, or hard 5 M each week. Some of these will be at ~tempo pace, some will be full race pace. I'm planning to do a 5K tomorrow. This will be my baseline, and for a variety of reasons, I think I should be able to smash the time in a couple of weeks.

+5 STA

2. Mix it up. Cross train at least 3x a week for at least 20 min. This time I will focus on core strength and some problem areas (hip strength/flexibility, upper back stretches, hip flexors, etc etc). 

Within this cross-training, as a sort of sub-goal, I'll complete the Yoga Journal strong core series (14 videos).

+3 DEX

3. 500 pushups!! I can break this up however I want, but each set must start with negatives (or full pushups). In the first week, I need at least 1 negative at the start of the set,  and this will increase each week (6 negatives per set in week 6). The rest can be on the knees, as needed. I'm not sure how hard this goal will be, but I think it might be a pretty good challenge.

+3 STR

4. Be the smoothie queen  I'm sort of feeling this out..for this challenge the goal is at least two smoothies per week. I'm particularly going to play around with adding in more vegetables. I've been testing this during the off weeks and have worked in small amounts of kale, celery and carrot. I'm thinking of getting a nicer blender and/or juicer, but want to make sure I would really use it before I buy more gadgets.

+2 CON

5. Maintain camp  I've played around with the "Flylady" housecleaning guidelines. What seems to work for me is modifying the "Weekly home blessing" to include the 7 chores I think most need doing. So each week (usually on the weekend), I'll make my list and get the jobs done. Full points for doing this 5 weeks (will be traveling during one of the weeks).

+2 WIS

Bonus...I'm really going to try to do the mini-challenges this time. They are fun :-)

• Like 4

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Love your title and your challenge. Following along to see the awesome and learn more about running. I'm gradually working up to it and use your thread as inspiration to keep at it!

I sympathize on the heat adaptation. I'm using my HRM, too, as a way to gauge intensity and the best training zone.

Looking forward to seeing you rock this!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Those are some great goals. 500 push ups is totally doable- that's less than 1 every hour if you break them up like that. You can totally do that. Grease the groove!

I love smoothies. Kale is a good additive and spinach goes in no problem. We love our Vita-mixer in this house.

I love mini-challenges, too. It's always good to have someone else provide some goals and mix it up a bit.

Subbing.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Great challenge. I'm trying to work on some core strength myself because it's something I usually neglect or dont bother with them at the end of a session.

I have one smoothie I have most mornings that I'm looking at mixing up with some added avocado I think. A better blender seems to be key in getting a good smoothie for me and I just went from a cheap one to a less cheap one but that was specifically for smoothies.

• Like 1

Race: Undead Gnoll | Class: Ranger

[Level: 3 | STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 4 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 4 ]

Intro: And Breath.. Challenges: #1,#2,#3(FAIL),#4

You don't drown by falling in the water, you drown by staying there.

-Edwin Louis Cole

I did a 5 k today 26:42. For a variety of reasons (it was hot, I have a cold, I ran a marathon last weekend), I think I should be able to smash that time. My list of "reasons" is just a list of excuses until I prove it on the road! I almost didn't run today, but I really wanted to have a baseline.

My best time (of two...5k is not my usual distance) from last year was 26:18. For a variety of reasons/excuses, I think I should be able to smash that too.

My next official chance will be on June 29 (end of week 3). Haven't thought beyond that...

• Like 3

Oct/Nov 2016

Great goals! Looks like you will have a great summer. I found I am not a smoothie person so I was glad I didn't invest in a good blender or juicer. Good luck to you! Looking into the "fly lady" you mentioned.

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

Yeah, reasons for a run not going perfect are futile. There's never such a thing as a perfect run- there's always something that's off. But the joy is thinking "Next time, I'm going to make sure one of those reasons isn't a problem." You do that over and over, and you'll kill those times. In 6 weeks, I have no doubt you'll be bringing that time way down. I think you'll beat your last year number, too.

Quirky DM

Thanks everyone! Seriously under the weather today (have a full-on cold), so no running.  Did what I could...had a morning smoothie, did the first day of the "Strong Core" series, did a few pushups (total of 13 negatives), worked in some hip strengthening exercises.

Decided to modify my pushup challenge a bit to make it all negatives (or full pushups)...knee pushups don't count. I can currently only do 3-4 at a time, and I want to improve.

Ok...I'm gonna go peruse all your threads!!

• Like 1

Oct/Nov 2016

Doing any bit of work while your sick is hard as is eating right. Well done on both accounts and being brave going for tougher pushups

Sent from my nokia 3210

• Like 1

-Edwin Louis Cole

Thanks everyone! Seriously under the weather today (have a full-on cold), so no running.  Did what I could...had a morning smoothie, did the first day of the "Strong Core" series, did a few pushups (total of 13 negatives), worked in some hip strengthening exercises.

Decided to modify my pushup challenge a bit to make it all negatives (or full pushups)...knee pushups don't count. I can currently only do 3-4 at a time, and I want to improve.

Ok...I'm gonna go peruse all your threads!!

Take care of yourself so that you can smash some of those PRs.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I think as long as you get your reps in, any time of the day, you'll find your push up number increases. If you're familiar with "grease the groove" technique it's the same thing. You don't need to (or even shouldn't) go to failure. Just do a set of 2-3 pushups multiple times during the day. You should see improvements after a few weeks and can look at upping the amount per set.

Get better soon.

• Like 2

Quirky DM

Not going to lie just looking at your challenge makes my legs hurt (damaged cartilage in my knees no likey the running over 5 miles) but I know you got it in ya to dominate this challenge! :D

• Like 1

Race: Demi-Human

Class; Ranger Level: 3

STR:5 | DEX:5 | CON:6 | INT:1 | WIS:5 | CHA:1

Former ​Challenges: 1, 2, 3

Orcs Killed

100%
100%

Coffee challenge: Failed :(

Next up: Nerd Rumble 2015

I am Groot.

I did a 5 k today 26:42. For a variety of reasons (it was hot, I have a cold, I ran a marathon last weekend), I think I should be able to smash that time. My list of "reasons" is just a list of excuses until I prove it on the road! I almost didn't run today, but I really wanted to have a baseline.

My best time (of two...5k is not my usual distance) from last year was 26:18. For a variety of reasons/excuses, I think I should be able to smash that too.

No apologies, it is a Good Thingâ„¢ to start out with a slow time in week one. That practically guarantees that you will beat it next week. ;)

I hope you get over your cold soon. Summer colds suck.

I found that going to negative pushups from knee pushups was an easy transition. Most of the time I can lower myself down smoothly (at least at the beginning of the set). Getting up is the hard part. After a couple weeks of negatives I found that the time my knees were on the floor got shorter. Eventually it got so I didn't need to put my knees down at all for the first few reps.  It sounds like we are close to the same place on this progression.

• Like 2

Level 53  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Frustrated at being sick, but it is what it is. Just to keep myself sane, I did some pushups (5x5 negatives...sets of 5 seem ok!) and situps (80 for the "500" PVP). Did the second (very short) video of the "Strong Core" Series. When I'm feeling a little better, I'll repeat the first two videos. I don't feel like I did either very well.

Thought about going for a walk, but I think it's better just to rest on the couch.

@Rotengar...yep running isn't for everyone. For people with joint issues, there are much better ways to torture yourself (I mean get exercise)

@QuirkyDM and EricTheRed...thanks for the support and advice on the pushups. I'm psyched that I can do sets of negatives now.

@Mistr...I like reading about your adventures in pushups too!

• Like 1

Oct/Nov 2016

@Rotengar...yep running isn't for everyone. For people with joint issues, there are much better ways to torture yourself (I mean get exercise)

Well it's because of rocks going into the side of me knee while biking, I CAN run long distances, but I have fast twitch muscles. My long distance runs end up being more akin to military marches than anything. I'll get there, eventually.

Race: Demi-Human

Class; Ranger Level: 3

STR:5 | DEX:5 | CON:6 | INT:1 | WIS:5 | CHA:1

Former ​Challenges: 1, 2, 3

Orcs Killed

100%
100%

Coffee challenge: Failed :(

Next up: Nerd Rumble 2015

I am Groot.

Your a much better person than me. Sick and run down is almost guaranteed to stop me dead but not you. nice job.

• Like 1

-Edwin Louis Cole

Your a much better person than me. Sick and run down is almost guaranteed to stop me dead but not you. nice job.

mmm...thanks for the compliment, but I was pretty much stopped dead.

...But I'm MUCH better today!! Had my smoothie. Got in 25 pushups (52 for challenge) and 100 situps (180 for PVP). Was in charge of our track workout tonight. Wasn't well enough to really run, but walked/jogged 2 miles (I'm counting them, it's the best I could do!).

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

Still didn't really feel up for running today, but I'll do my usual 5 miles with the group tomorrow, even if I just go for a very long stroll.

Will probably still get to some BW exercises today, but two thoughts in the meantime:

1. I started my CSA yesterday. That's mostly a great, fun, healthy thing, but I learned that Broccoli Rabe is NOT an awesome addition to a morning smoothie :playful:

2. I'm interested in opinions...how do you decide when to go back to exercise after being sick? I get restless!!! I feel like it's generally ok to do stretching. Ok to do light BW exercises within reason (don't feel dizzy or anything like that). But for cardio, I'm more careful. I don't like to breathe heavily if I have more than an occasional dry cough. I've read that you should be careful running if you are on decongestants (I'm not anymore) because decongestants can raise your heart rate. I know I *could* run a bit, but would it help maintain my conditioning, or would it delay my recovery??

So frustrating... I want to get back to it. I'm pretty sure today wasn't a good day for it. Tomorrow I'll do something (even walking) at least to keep the habit. Not particularly looking for encouragement on this, just curious what you guys use as a rule of thumb.

Oct/Nov 2016

I really just get back to it when I'm not feeling groggy or run down anymore, I can still be coughing and spluttering and not able to go as far as normal but I'll feel the better for it

Sent from my nokia 3210

-Edwin Louis Cole

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines