Dimia Conquers CrossFit - Second Challenge

Dimia

Okay, challenge two is finally here and I'm really excited about it.  I disappeared on the last challenge because I got frustrated and felt I was going at it alone so didn't bother updating.  This time, I'm going to continue pushing and trying to find people who support my goals and my desire to improve my life.  

Between the end of the last challenge and now, I started trying CrossFit.  It terrifies me, challenges me, encourages me, and pushes me far more than I thought possible.  And I love it though I still get in my head about what I can or can't do and let that influence me too much.  I have to be willing to look foolish, weak, come in last, or be the slowest.  I'll never get better and stronger if I'm too afraid to try.  

Main Quest:
- To lose weight, get stronger, improve flexibility, and add variety to my diet. 

Missions:
- Do attend CrossFit classes at least three times a week

- Try one new food or recipe each week

- Check in at least three times a week with my progress or struggles during this challenge and continue developing a support system

Motivation:
- To be able to have a healthy pregnancy when the time comes (hopefully soonish!)
- To feel more confident about myself in all situations
- To live longer for both myself and my family

Stats Week One:

Weight:  304.4

Waist:  53

Hips:  48

Neck:  19

Results:

Workouts:  7/A+

New Food:  Mango/A

Updating:  A

Stats Week Two:

Weight:  303.6

Waist:  54

Hips:  48

Neck:  19

Results: 

Workouts:  5/A

New Food:  Sweet Potato, Paleo Crunch

Updating:  C

Stats Week Three:

Weight:  301.8

Waist:  55

Hips:  49

Neck:  21

• Like 4

Intro, Challenges:  1, 2

Level: 1   Race: Human  Profession: Ranger

STR: 2  DEX: 1  STA: 1  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

"[i fear] a cage. . . . To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - J.R.R. Tolkien

"Your mind will quit a hundred times before your body ever does.  Feel the pain and do it anyway"

Hi

Welcome to the Nerdydome. I have taken the liberty of tagging you with a Rangers tag because they are the main crossfit peeps around here so you'll be able to meet up with others with a similar interet more easily. It's just a guide/idea thingy though, and of course it's totally up to you what guild you eventually decide to join.

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Hello!  I'm glad that you're giving it another go. I'll echo 18ck in that crossfit seems to be a thing the ranger guild here is into.  Stopping by their chat thread in the Ranger forum and introducing yourself might be a great way to connect with people who share your Crossfit interests! :)

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Welcome to NF Dimia.  I see this is your second challenge (even though you're feeling like your first was a failure). You are most welcome to join the Rangers (or even the Adventurers) now instead of spending another challenge here.  But of course you're more than welcome to stay with us, but let me know and I am happy to magic you over there.

There is a tool that I think you would greatly benefit from this time around and that's the Accountabilibuddies groups.  You can definitely find the support you're looking for through these groups. Maybe join one.

Good Luck

AB xx

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Aha! There you are! :D I will definitely be following you around again and dropping by to encourage you as much as I can (eh, internet is kind of limiting though).

• Like 1

~ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Ranger

STR: 10.5 / DEX: 1 / STA: 2.9 / CON: 22 / WIS: 2 / CHA: 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Current challenge

Battle Log: No Quitting!

Nerdfit character: here

Hi Dimia, I read your post and instantly thought ah me too! I fell off the posting-wagon last challenge as well, I felt the same way. Also have a bit of a Crossfit 'thing', though unfortunately no boxes around me for the near future. Good luck and happy journeying with it though, it can be so fantastically challenging and fun!

Let me know if you need help with new recipes or foods - I'm a food nut, I love to think about it, talk about it, cook it, eat it...!

• Like 1

Valkyrie Assassin/Adventurer

Epic Quest

Current Challenge:

Previous Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th

Hi

Welcome to the Nerdydome. I have taken the liberty of tagging you with a Rangers tag because they are the main crossfit peeps around here so you'll be able to meet up with others with a similar interet more easily. It's just a guide/idea thingy though, and of course it's totally up to you what guild you eventually decide to join.

Thanks!  Perhaps I should venture over there and get connected with like minded people.  This almost feels like my first challenge since I joined the last one late and faded off.  Trying not to do that this time!  

Hello!  I'm glad that you're giving it another go. I'll echo 18ck in that crossfit seems to be a thing the ranger guild here is into.  Stopping by their chat thread in the Ranger forum and introducing yourself might be a great way to connect with people who share your Crossfit interests! :)

Thanks for the advice!  I did stop by their thread and it looks like I might be a good fit there for now!  Once I get in better shape the assassins really tempts me but that's further down the road for me.  Right now I'm doing a bit of everything!  

Welcome to NF Dimia.  I see this is your second challenge (even though you're feeling like your first was a failure). You are most welcome to join the Rangers (or even the Adventurers) now instead of spending another challenge here.  But of course you're more than welcome to stay with us, but let me know and I am happy to magic you over there.

It definitely seems that the Rangers would be a great place for me to get started so if you could send me in that direction it would be great!  Thanks so much!

Aha! There you are! :D I will definitely be following you around again and dropping by to encourage you as much as I can (eh, internet is kind of limiting though).

Are you going to be doing a challenge this time?  I saw on Facebook that you're making progress on the chin-ups, awesome work!  And even more awesome that you're doing the walk to Mordor :D 

How exciting to be starting out at Crossfit and getting into Oly lifting, once you start getting those weights up off the floor you'll love it I'm sure ;)

Thanks, it's pretty awesome starting out because I've done quite light weights so once we start doing them again I'm sure I'll have a lot of PRs to celebrate lol I'm really loving it so far even though sometimes I feel like it's killing me XD

Hi Dimia, I read your post and instantly thought ah me too! I fell off the posting-wagon last challenge as well, I felt the same way. Also have a bit of a Crossfit 'thing', though unfortunately no boxes around me for the near future. Good luck and happy journeying with it though, it can be so fantastically challenging and fun!

Let me know if you need help with new recipes or foods - I'm a food nut, I love to think about it, talk about it, cook it, eat it...!

It sucks that there aren't any boxes close to you.  I'd never even considered doing it until one moved into the garage across from where I worked.  Now I'm slowly getting hooked on it.  Recipes are great because I'm super picky at the moment (no meat and no veggies except for the occasional bacon or corn, neither of which are great lol) but trying to branch out a little here and there to develop what I'll eat since it's so important to losing weight and being healthy! 

Okay, update time.  I didn't make it on here yesterday to update because I was too exhausted.  Monday I worked out with a killer routine that normally I would have skipped.  Even the coach commented that he was surprised I showed up in such a running heavy workout.  I did half of the RX (seriously, how do people do those things?) for runs and modified the other two movements as well.  The workout I did:

50m run, 5 35lb presses (instead of headstand pushups), 10 lunges by the pole for support (instead of weighted lunges).  Then it was 100m run and weights, 200m run and weights, 400m run and weights, 200m run and weights, 100m run and weights, then a 50m run to finish it.  Suffice it to say I'm not a runner but since starting CrossFit I've done a lot more of it lol my first workout ever with them was the Murph and I could only jog parts of the half mile I did there.  I could already tell a difference in yesterdays workout by how much I could do.  Then after all the running, we did front squats and I used the training bar for those.  I love the fact that I was wondering how we were going to do strength after Metcon and the coach wisely pointed out that they're teaching us to be strong even when we're tired.  It was great motivation. 

Then, last night I went out with a friend and we stopped by Chick-fil-a for dinner and instead of eating fries and a pretzel, I got fruit and water to drink.  Was pretty pumped up about making good choices. 

This morning, I went back to the box for another day of torture.  I read the WOD online and saw it was mostly core work which I didn't think would be that bad.  Rollouts, hollow position hold, medicine ball twists, plank, and flutter kicks.  A minute of each over two rounds.  Was way harder than I thought.  And then, after exhausting ourselves there we did kettlebell swings for eight minutes.  For the first minute we did three, then six for the second, nine for the third, twelve for the fourth, fifteen for the fifth, eighteen for the sixth, twenty one for the seventh, and twenty four on the eighth.  Then we rested four minutes and did it again.  I did mine with the 18lb which was lighter than RX but I was pumped that I was able to do it (even if the last rep on each set was finished after time).  

Super sore at the moment but excited to go back tomorrow and work on the next exercises :D

• Like 3

"[i fear] a cage. . . . To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - J.R.R. Tolkien

"Your mind will quit a hundred times before your body ever does.  Feel the pain and do it anyway"

Excellent work. Glad you are enjoying the exercise, it will spill over into other areas of your life as well. Keep at it you are doing a great job.

I did Fran today for the first time ever, couldn't complete it in the 10 min cap but I have a baseline now and the only way is up :)

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

60 days to 5k (July-Sep 2021)

Solid start! Keep it up - a good box should cycle the workouts properly so you don't get overtrained in any areas, and it sounds like yours is like that.

It's posted elsewhere in NF, but my favourite recipe website of ALL TIME is PaleOMG, because it's yum (obviously) and Juli is hilarious. She also likes CrossFit! 

Valkyrie Assassin/Adventurer

Epic Quest

Current Challenge:

Previous Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th

Now I'm envious, seeing all that great stuff you do! :D Definitely sounds like you're making progress, and enjoying it all.

I have my challenge thread with the Adventurers. I've been too lazy to put a link in my sig. Maybe sometime... And that 1/2 chin up and additional work out definitely made my abs sore. Ouchie.

~ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Ranger

Current challenge

*Waves her magic wand.* POOF

Done :D

Sent with awesomeness from my iPad using Tapatalk and autocorrect is out to get me so expect some errors!!

"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright

My challenge

*Waves her magic wand.* POOF

Done :D

Sent with awesomeness from my iPad using Tapatalk and autocorrect is out to get me so expect some errors!!

I think your magic wand sent me into the past!  :D  It looks like I ended up in the previous challenge instead of the current one somehow.  Or else I'm looking at the wrong thing perhaps but I can't find myself under the current threads?   

Heya Dimia! Following you from the Renaissance thread, welcome to the party! You've got some really impressive goals, and I look forward to seeing you crush them. Go RANGER!

• Like 2

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

Heya Dimia! Following you from the Renaissance thread, welcome to the party! You've got some really impressive goals, and I look forward to seeing you crush them. Go RANGER!

Awesome!  I'm super excited about how things are going at the moment.  A quick update, I went to the box yesterday and today, bringing my total up to four this week.  The coach was surprised when I walked in that I was making it four days and told me he expected to see me tomorrow.  Wednesday we warmed up with a 500m row and some hip stretches then did back squats for our skill.  I got 1x5@45lb which while not great wasn't too shabby for a first time.  Then we did wall balls and five pushups each minute on the minute.  I did seventy five wall balls with the eight pound ball (scaled down from the RX) in 5:37.  I probably could have pushed myself a little harder but there's always next time.  

Today I was literally the only person in my class so that was fun.  Did a run for the warmup and managed to slowly jog the first 200m without stopping.  More than I could do earlier in the week on the running WOD.  Then we worked on something called the two position hang clean and jerk.  Totally new to me with a multiple movement rep but I got sixty five pounds.  Was super pumped about that.  And the metcon was 5 overhead presses, 10 deadlifts, and fifteen box jumps.  The coach told me to start with fifty-five pounds on the weights but set up a forty-five pound bar for me to switch to if I got tired.  I managed almost five rounds (two box jumps short) and I didn't wimp out and switch to the lighter weight even though I wanted to.  Was an awesome feeling to know that I pushed myself to be better and stronger when I had the option to give up and take the easier route.  

I'm planning on picking up some mangos or sweet potatoes at the store this week for my new food or recipe.  I have tried both before but haven't ever made them myself or really opened up to the possibility of including them in my diet.  I'm not sure if that's taking the easy way out or not this week.  For me they are pretty much new, especially making them myself.  But really pumped about how things are going so far.  

• Like 3

Hi Dimia! I wandered over here from the Renaissance Rebels too, I'm super impressed with how hard you're going this challenge! 

Also, I don't think buying mangoes or sweet potatoes is cheating - in fact, you've made me crave mangos now :P

Looking forward to your new recipes and your hardcore crossfitting!

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

I think your magic wand sent me into the past! :D It looks like I ended up in the previous challenge instead of the current one somehow. Or else I'm looking at the wrong thing perhaps but I can't find myself under the current threads?

oh dear!! thats quite possible. silly wand. i needs a new one. *Calls the Doctor*. I think I should rather use the Tardis for this. Better?

• Like 1

My challenge

Mangos or sweet potatoes...either one. They're both awesome. If you find a way to combine them, lemme know.

• Like 2

oh dear!! thats quite possible. silly wand. i needs a new one. *Calls the Doctor*. I think I should rather use the Tardis for this. Better?

Much better!  Thanks!  :)

Okay, quick update before I start cleaning house today because it's a total wreck that I can't relax in lol So I went to the box on Friday for what I thought was going to be a light workout and which actually wasn't as light as I planned.  The warmup was killer, the worst I've done so far.  Jump rope, rowing, ball slams, and medicine ball cleans for thirty seconds alternating exercises for sixteen rounds.  Then we did nine pulls-ups, nine sit-ups, eight pull-ups, nine sit-ups, down to one.  I modified mine to ring rows and using a bench for sit-ups.  With the coach pushing us, everyone finished under the ten minute mark so that was pretty cool.  The weight section was another three position movement it was a snatch from power position, hang position, then a overhead squat.  I'd been telling myself that I couldn't do the OHS with anything more than a PVC pipe but surprisingly I did it with 35lb after a little pushing myself.  So that was great. 

Then today I decided to go back for their team WOD.  It was called the deck of death and it was the first workout I couldn't complete even modified.  Each team of three was given a deck of cards and had to perform an exercise based on the card we drew.  For instance, one suit was burpees (eek!), another was air squats, another was weighted lunges, and the last was box jumps.  Each person on the team had to as many reps as we drew on the card (a three and you did three of whatever suit/exercise it was, face cards were worth ten, aces were worth eleven, and the joker was a 400m run).  It was super intense and we ended up getting a lot of burpees first.  I suck at burpees, big time and hated slowing my team down.  About twelve minutes or so into it, one of the coaches pulled me out saying that I was pushing myself too hard on top of a five workout week.  It sucked not to be able to complete it but I don't think I could have.  It was super intense.  Then after that I went to the weekly yoga/body flow class.  I know, glutton for punishment.  I am not as flexible as I want to be and I wanted to stretch out those sore aching muscles.  

So this week has been crazy busy workout wise.  Yesterday after working out and working all day, we ran to the grocery store and I picked up some Mangos and sweet potatoes so we'll see how that goes :D

• Like 3

:o Dimia, how can you do all those things? Definitely sounds like some superman-workouts! I probably wouldn't even last a day. And I should start writing up all that terminology as something for my translation studies... lol. I definitely have begin to admire your determination and daring.

• Like 1

Ranger

Current challenge

Wow! What a great first week!Awesome job on the CrossFit and looking forward to hearing what you do with the mangoes and sweet potatoes.

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I'd like to add another instance of Wow! to the queue. You're kicking butt!

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines