• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

StarGazer

StarGazer Got a New Goal

So if you’ve followed me before, you know that last challenge I finally had a challenge that I considered a success. This was not to say that I failed persay on other challenges so much as life had one way or another of throwing a wrench in my momentum or plans through work stress, injury, illness, or what have you. If you followed me you also know that I was getting so close to the elusive pull-up and could probably predict that I would continue that work into this challenge. I hate to break it to you, but that will not happen because it is now Sunday, the challenge starts tomorrow… and this morning I pulled off the pull-up! So accomplishing it is no longer a goal in and of itself.

So I had to re-evaluate and make a new goal, so here goes with my plan as it stands:

GOALS

Long-Term Goal: Operation Get Back on the Field.

I want to be able to play ultimate frisbee again, so doing things like going for walks and bodyweight strength training will help get me back to where I can do so without my foot waging war. So my fitness goals are either based on general or focused on getting back out on the field.

Fitness Goal 1: Operation Back on Your Feet.

I want to make a walking goal, but I know that didn’t work out for me last challenge because my foot was being dumb. Taking that into consideration, I am making the goal to either go on a walk OR do at least 30 minutes of yoga at least 3 times a week. The walking is preferred, but in its stead, yoga would be certainly beneficial. Especially since I’m noticing that I’m not as flexible as I used to be since I’ve not been nearly as active. So walking or yoga-ing.

Fitness Goal 2: Operation Get Up Get Down.

With the pull-up accomplished, I had to revamp this goal. So since I just put this one together now, I may re-evaluate as needed throughout the challenge.

Disclaimer complete. For this goal, I will keep pushing forward with the pull-up (because 1 is just not enough!). Throughout the challenge, these will be performed in 5 sets. For these sets I will start with just one pull-up per set. When inevitably I can’t pull myself up (because being able to do ANY pull-ups is still new to my body), each pull-up can be substituted by 5 inverted rows. When I am able to do all of the sets, I will move on to trying 3 pull-ups per set with the same substitution allowance. Each Sunday I will see how many pull-ups I can do consecutively.

To complement the pull-up work, I am going to be doing squats or lunges (foot permitting) and sets of planks. Nothing exciting, but it gets me doing SOMETHING. Which I really need until I am clear to run around like a crazy person again. These 2 or 3 exercises will be done 3x per week preferably MWF, but on TTS as needed depending on life..

Life Goal 1: Operation Alternate Employment.

If you were with me for the last challenge, you’ve learned that I a tired of living in Houston and I don’t really know what I want to do with my life career-wise. Last challenge I decided that I would really like to move to the Boulder/Denver area of Colorado (which was fully supported by Hammi of course!). To continue moving forward with the goal to move out of this hot and humid city, during this challenge, I am going to have to focus a LOT on what I want to do. I know that a goal like “get a new job!†would be awesome if achievable, but is completely unrealistic. This is why I am instead going to set the goal of spending at least 2 focused hours per week job searching, researching companies in the area, or applying to jobs. This way I make sure that I am doing SOMETHING to push me toward the daunting goal of moving out of this place. Because as excited as I am about it, it is also terrifying.

Life Goal 2: Operation Who Needs All This Shit?!

If I’m going to be moving, I really need to be on top of all of the crap I still have in my house. I have a few bags of donations ready already and I will likely have more before the challenge is through. I say likely because this goal is not explicitly on getting rid of crap so much as facilitating that. The past couple weeks I have been working to build the habit of having a checklist of things that I am doing each day. Some things are daily, some are weekly on the same day, but if I stay on top of those Monday through Friday, I am not feeling like my house is a mess on the weekend which is when I have large enough chunks of time to choose an area and tackle some purging. So my goal is to accomplish every item on my daily lists Monday through Friday through the entire challenge.

TL;DR

Fitness Goal 1: Walk or yoga at least 3x/wk (foot permitting)

Fitness Goal 2: Pull-up work, squats or lunges (foot permitting), and planks 3x/wk

Life Goal 1: Work on finding a new job

Life Goal 2: Follow to do lists so I stay on top of the mess and allow myself the energy to purge some of my crap.

Just like last time, I am going to put together tracking spreadsheets and link you guys in when I do so that even when I am failing to update here more than once per week, you’ll still be able to know how I’m doing. Disclaimer: there may be other things I’m tracking in the spreadsheet that aren’t tied to a goal that I’m following outside of the challenge and just want to contain in the same file for simplicity.

Wish me luck!

• Like 1

Oh hai pull up girl ;)

The evil dancing circus monkeys that live in my phone rarely let my communications come through appropriately

ha,you had me going there, why isn't she still working on getting a pull up? Congrats, though maybe you can pretend to do it the first week of the challenge so you can be on the most wanted list. :playful:

I really enjoyed reading your post and as a new follower of yours, let me say Congratulations on your pull up! I also recently achieved being able to do a single pull up and will also be working on that during my challenge. Also, I very much enjoy how aware you are of possible limitations and issues that might occur. Ypur preparation is enviable and I hope everything goes smoothly. Good luck!

ha,you had me going there, why isn't she still working on getting a pull up? Congrats, though maybe you can pretend to do it the first week of the challenge so you can be on the most wanted list. :playful:

Pretending to do it the first week of the challenge just for Most Wanted status would be like cheating. Instead I'm going to get some number of consecutive pull-ups during the challenge and be loud and proud about it and see if that won't get me Most Wanted status.

I really enjoyed reading your post and as a new follower of yours, let me say Congratulations on your pull up! I also recently achieved being able to do a single pull up and will also be working on that during my challenge. Also, I very much enjoy how aware you are of possible limitations and issues that might occur. Ypur preparation is enviable and I hope everything goes smoothly. Good luck!

Welcome to my challenge and thanks for the words of encouragement! I need the structure of a challenge if I am going to do anything consistently right now, but knowing that I've been dealing with coming back from injury I've also become very aware that there must be flexibility in the goals or I'll just get discouraged when I can't do what I want to do and then I feel like giving up. And giving up is no fun for anyone.

Subbed :playful:

I'm working on my own version of 'who needs all this shit' this challenge too!

Get rid of all the crap!

Looking forward to the success. And "Operation Who Needs All This Shit?!" strikes pretty close to home. I need to start getting rid of crap.

ZEB! Where have you been? How have you been? I haven't seen you around in AGES! I hope that you are well :)

Yuuuuus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammi! <3

OK Team.

We've got a slow start to the challenge. And by slow start I mean man I've got all of the sleepies today. I've had so many of the sleepies lately and I really think that it boils down to NOT being anywhere near as active as I used to be (stupid foot!). I'm sleeping a lot, but the quality seems to be shot because I am rarely waking feeling any semblance of refreshed or alert. Instead I feel like a groggy slug. I want to blame the heat and humidity that is settling into Houston, but I've been not getting the quality sleep I need for a couple of months now, so Houston is not to blame (darn!).

The only real way to make sure that this is the problem is to get more active. This means making sure that I nail this challenge and making sure that I don't jump in too quickly when I feel ready to start running again so that I can increase my level of activity without overdoing it too quickly and re-injuring myself. A happy Star is an active Star, not an injured Star.

A happy Star would also like to be not at work right now so she could go home and work on challenge things like pull-ups and to-do list tasks and perhaps go for a walk.

Nevermind that. Yoga. It's too hot to choose to go for a walk today, especially since I've been feeling dehydrated (working to remedy this), but something indoors in the AC like yoga would be pleasant and goal-fitting.

Only a few hours left here at work, then I can go tackle Day 1 like a CHAMP.

Pretending to do it the first week of the challenge just for Most Wanted status would be like cheating. Instead I'm going to get some number of consecutive pull-ups during the challenge and be loud and proud about it and see if that won't get me Most Wanted status.

Love the plan. Yes, I was only teasing about pretending to do the pullup   this week :D 

So now I've got a baseline:

I was able to get one set of 1 pull-up and when I was back to pull-ups again, I was only able to get about halfway, so went with the row substitutions for the rest of the sets. So Wednesday I try to get closer to 2 sets of 1 actual pull-up.

I did squats because my foot has been feeling okay. Because I've been so inactive, I stuck with just sets of 10 and by the end of the last set, I was really needing to push to get back up out of my squat, so I think that is a good starting number and I chose well.

I also haven't done planks in a while, so had to guess where to start. I decided today would be 30 seconds and while I feel like I could have/should have gone further (maybe 40 seconds would have been better) but I was still getting rather shaky by the end of the 30 so it was a decent starting point.

Let us see what I can do on Wednesday :D

• Like 2

Good job on day one!

ZEB! Where have you been? How have you been? I haven't seen you around in AGES! I hope that you are well :)

I haven't been much of a healthy person for the last few months. I figure it's time to start doing something again.

Sisterrr! That was still an awesome pull up. And yeah next steps are to add numbers and get to where you can do one whenever, regardless of if you are feeling "strong" that day or not.

You hoggin' all the badassery ;)

Says the girl who works out 3 times a day and kicks ass doing it? Clearly I'm not hogging it because you've got a healthy serving yourself, lady.

Ok Team, time for an update. Much to my dismay, my legs (specifically my hamstrings, but elsewhere as well) are STILL sore from Monday. Yes, I realize this is normal, especially when you push it after not doing anything, but it still makes me crazy.

I was hopeful on Tuesday that doing some yoga in the morning and therefore getting some stretching in would be helpful. It may have helped the soreness, but I can't tell because these are still some pretty darn pissed off DOMS. Regardless, Tuesday, I yoga-ed and did all of my to do list tasks. Huzzah.

Yesterday I was hopeful that a morning walk and stretching would help loosen these legs up, so I went for a walk around the block (~1.3 mi). It felt good as did stretching afterward. But damn if it made any difference in the soreness. Yesterday was also next in line for the pull up work and its friends, but since my legs are my frenemies right now, I decided that it would be in my best interest to NOT do the squats. So pull-ups/inverted rows and planks it is. I kept the same numbers I worked with on Monday since I'm still trying to get rid of soreness (I'm sore non-leg places as well, just they legs are particularly vocal about it. No need to make the other body parts start speaking up though!).

So that brings us to today. I am still sore and now grumpy about it. It went from "yay! sore! It has been too long!" to "damn... still sore... this has gone on too long..." Tonight will be either another walk or more yoga and stretching hoping for relief tomorrow.

I want to be NOT ridiculously sore because I'm going to Austin for the weekend to hang out with some nerds! *Fingers Crossed!*