RedCedar prepares to live life the wolverine way

RedCedar

wolverine-bad-costume.jpg

No, not that Wolverine! This kind:

Wolverine-2.jpg

Yeah, that's the one. Gulo gulo.

Who's appetite for life is so voracious, scientists named them "Glutton"- twice. 

The 30 pound weasel that can scare a full grown, hungry grizzly bear off a carcass the bear just killed. 

The unstoppable force that moves at a constant 6 mph, whether scaling a 2,000 ft vertical cliff or loping through a valley, wolverines treat the most rugged topography like it's flat.  

The hunter-scavenger with a reputation fierce enough to earn nicknames like "hell cat"and "carcajou", but mates (polyamorously) for life and raises young with both parents. 

01325-01319_clip-262x300.jpg

I'm ferocious! *rawr*

"Whatever they do, they do undaunted. They live life as fiercely and relentlessly as it has ever been lived.... That was the wolverine way: to keep moving, keep pushing forward." The Wolverine Way, by Douglas H. Chadwick. 

You guys, I wanna be a wolverine. Like so bad. They're so amazing! And now, my Level 50. 

I'll work my way up the mustelid family, because really, they're all pretty badass with their supped-up metabolisms, crazy strength to size ratio, and none stop energy levels. Currently, I'm a Least Weasel, smallest of the mustelids. 

Level 1-10: Least Weasel (Mustela nivalis) 

Level 10-20: Marten (Martes Americana)

Level 20-30: Fisher (Martes pennanti)

Level 30-40: River Otter (Lontra canadensis)

Level 40-50: Badger (Taxidea taxus)

Wolverine Gulo gulo, 50+

This is a least weasel

Mustela%20nivalis.jpg

So, the dates for this challenge don't really work for me. I'll be leading teenagers on backpacking trips all summer. At least 3 1/2 weeks of this challenge I'll spend in the backcountry. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to participate, but I don't want to disappear completely until September. I may be as elusive as a wolverine roaming a mountainous territory of 200-500 square miles, but I'll drop by when I can. So much awesome community here, so many folks doing really rad things, I can't stay out of this one completely. 

Due to my crazy schedule and jumping in to this challenge primarily so I don't drift too far away, I'm just gonna recycle my point system from the last challenge. It was a lot of fun and really helped me stay engaged since I was counting and giving myself credit for all my positive steps forward, rather than focusing on how many missed workouts or bad food choices I made. 

(Literally copy and pasted from the last one)

POINTS! 

I will inevitably loose track of specific programs, and then use the missed workout/off schedule excuse to not continue. If I have multiple options that "count" toward my challenge, I'm much more likely to stay active and engaged. I'm too impatient to wait until the end of the challenge to "earn" things, so with points I can reward myself multiple times a day if I am so inclined for generally being awesome. I can earn points in the following ways:

Workout! Move! Have Adventures! (One bonus point for all workouts done outside)

Tree climbing or other “play†workouts are half of a point each (but probably all will be outside so really 1.5 points)

Pushups, pull-ups, chin ups, squats, flexibility/stretching workouts all worth one point each. 

C25k, hill sprints, hikes over 1 hour or mini challenges are all two-point workouts. (Again, mostly outside so really 3 points)

Insanity is a three-point workout. 

Eat Green Things! 

Specifically cruciferous vegetables like Kale, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage and veggies with a lot of protein like Spinach and Peas. 

One point per serving of these veggies per meal  

Go the F*ck to Sleep!!! 

Since I live most of my life like:

tumblr_lyc05ypyLn1rn95k2o1_500.gif

One point for every full night of sleep (8 hours)

Grading!

200+ Points = A+

150-200 points = A

125-150 points = A-

100-125 points = B+

75-100 points = B

50-75 points = C

30-50 points = D

Less than 30 = F

The vague idea of where I'm going is to continue this momentum I'm starting to build. I want being active and healthy to just be a part of my life. I want to enjoy being fit. I had so much fun on my vacation being able to go on any adventure and not have to think twice about "if I could do it" or not. I don't want my body holding me back from any adventures I encounter. I want to scamper up trees, run to the top of mountains, throw canoes across the lake! You know, that sort of thing. <~~~~ This stuff is all still true! But now I know I'm heading towards being a wolverine! 

• Like 5

RedCedar uses the pronouns they/them/theirs. What pronouns do you prefer? 

Here is a fun game to help learn/practice pronouns that might be new to you: http://minus18.org.au/pronouns-app/

Last Challenge

Favorite Challenge

I said to the sun, "tell me about the Big Bang".

The sun said, "It hurts to become." 
~A.G. 

I'm really glad you made a thread! I was so disappointed when you said you wouldn't be around this time. :( But hooray for hikes and scary looking critters! And teenagers, I guess?

By the time you get to level 40 I might have actually figured out how to find (and use!) gifs of the badger dance thing. Or honey badger. 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I just cannot describe I how much I love this...

yay wolverines! (but yay least weasels, too)

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

STR 5  |  DEX 6  |  STA 7  |  CON 6  |  WIS 12  |  CHA 5

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6   #7  #8

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

Your level 50 is a rodent.

This is FREAKING AWESOME.

More like a big weasel. "Rodent" is an order. Mustelids are a family of the order Carnivora, but they're very similar. 

Glad to see so many familiar uh... faces? Gifs, pics and shared love of wolverines or other creatures totally welcome. :)

In fact, since I'll be gone so much, y'all can totally just party on this thread if you want. 

181y64lovkyjegif.gif

• Like 3

RedCedar uses the pronouns they/them/theirs. What pronouns do you prefer? 

Here is a fun game to help learn/practice pronouns that might be new to you: http://minus18.org.au/pronouns-app/

Last Challenge

Favorite Challenge

I said to the sun, "tell me about the Big Bang".

The sun said, "It hurts to become." 
~A.G. 

Yay!!! I love following your threads :D And all the weasels are so cute! We don't get weasels in Australia I think.. we have a Tassie Devil though :D Does that count?

Tasmanian-devil-joeys-1mb.jpg

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

| STR 2 | DEX 0 | STA 1 | CON 0 | WIS 7 | CHA 0

1 2

Yay!!! I love following your threads :D And all the weasels are so cute! We don't get weasels in Australia I think.. we have a Tassie Devil though :D Does that count?

Tasmanian-devil-joeys-1mb.jpg

*o* I want one! I will love it and squeeze it and call it George.

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

subbing so I can stalk you...will return with gifs when I have time! :)

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CRUSTED is the only acronym I can come up with for this

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 71

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My BlogMyFitnessPal |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Happy Weasel Fact Wednesday!

Despite its small size, the least weasel can kill a rabbit 5 -10 times its weight.

Small but fierce

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

STR 5  |  DEX 6  |  STA 7  |  CON 6  |  WIS 12  |  CHA 5

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6   #7  #8

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

Dear RedCedar, 

I hope you're having fun backpacking and you don't see any dangerous critters. If you do, remember to throw one of the teenagers in its direction. You don't have to outrun the creature, just the other humans. (Do teenagers qualify as humans?)

Love, 

Flea

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

2a7ddaw.gif

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines