Merganser Joins the Ordnance Survey

Merganser

For the first 6 months of this year, my challenges have focused on specific skills -- swimming, stretching, running, cycling -- as well as forays into supplemental "skills", with varying degrees of (ongoing) success/commitment:

• I finished a Whole30 and have continued meal-planning and advance food-prepping...but I've also been taking way too many days "off" from that since it ended, probably because I never committed to being more "mindful" about my eating
  • I decided to stop paying as much extra as I do to go to the gym by cutting back my small-group kettlebell training from 2 days a week to 1 day a week, intending to do the additional strength workouts on my own...which I did...occasionally...but I also let work get way in the way for the last month (!) or so, of both my paid-for and (theoretical) independent training
  • I improved my swimming, I started running again for for the first time in a long time (and learned that I can run, even with my injured foot), I learned how to ride my scary road bike -- and even got the grown-up pedals and shoes! -- and I started a stretching regimen...but I haven't been running in weeks, have been the pool maybe twice in the last month, and have only been bike commuting for the last couple of weeks (not on my road bike!). Sure, I've been a little bit literally hamstrung by a bit of an injury, but injuries can be worked around (and since I haven't been exercising, I haven't been stretching either)
  • I spent the first 4 and a half months of the year scrupulously tracking all of my spending to an impressive level of subcategory detail...but now have an overstuffed envelope of unprocessed receipts and whatnot dating back to mid-April
  • I determined to clear out excess stuff from my home over a 6-week period and did an impressive job...in two or three very full days...after the original 6 weeks

So, I've made some positive changes, I do some really good stuff, but I feel like I'm going nowhere fast, which makes me an ineffective and inefficient scout, indeed.

Main Quest

Therefore, the main quest for this challenge is to figure out where I (really) want to be and how to get there.

Missions

1) Make a Map...

...because you can't go anywhere until you figure out: a) what's out there, and B) where you're starting from

• Resume tracking food (diligently! consistently! promptly!) in MyFitnessPal; this time including notes about what times of the day I'm eating/drinking and how I feel (CON 1)
  • Resume tracking spending (diligently! consistently! promptly!) in my spreadsheet AND fill in the 6-7 week gap so I have a complete record for analysis (WIS 1.5)
  • Resume a reasonable exercise (and stretching) regimen and track that, too, paying particular attention to any aches/pains/limitations: 2 days of strength training (and, yes, I am resuming 2 pay-extra sessions per week in a couple of weeks to help with this...), 2 days of swimming, 1 day of running, and... (STR 1)
  • ...daily bike-commuting (because it's the most efficient means I have for covering terrain!) and... (STA 1)
  • ...getting as comfortable on my road bike with grown-up pedals as I am on my commuting bike, which is actually pretty imperative, since I need to... (DEX 1)
  • ...Complete a triathlon at the end of week 1 of this challenge and forgot to grab my old pedals when I got them switched at the bike shop and would really, really prefer NOT to have to resort to my commuter bike!  :rolleyes: (STA 1.5)

2) Determine the Destination(s)...

...which may ultimately take the whole challenge, but can be worked on on an ongoing basis 

• Implement a pre-bedtime meditation routine...since when I did meditation last year, it was really helpful (WIS 1)
  • Perform thorough and thoughtful assessments of my "data" at the end of each week of the challenge (WIS 1)
  • Figure out what my performance goals are for my August and September triathlons (STA .5)
  • Figure out if I'm going to stay in my current apartment for another year or move this September (WIS .5)

3) Develop a Strategy...

...which may not be fully implemented until the next challenge, but will require some planning, and will benefit from developing habits that are unambivalently positive: 

• Practice mindful eating and imbibing, i.e. slowly and with minimal distractions and continuous check-ins about satiety, and continue to plan meals and food prep (CON 1)
  • Practice mindful spending and develop a budget (WIS 1)
  • Practice mindful exercising and develop a fitness/triathlon(s) plan (STA 1)

Motivation

Make sure my early mid-life crisis really is "early"!  :tongue: 

Life Quest

For the last challenge, this was about getting rid of stuff, but I left it all to the end/afterwards.

It's still applicable to the themes of my current challenge, so this time I'm going to build in a schedule and get rid of at least one material possession per day. (WIS 1)

Merganser: Level 4 Anatidae Scout

STR 4 | DEX 5 | STA 5 | CON 7 | WIS 6 | CHA 2

Intro | Current Challenge: Train for Spain!

Challenge 6: Back on Track...and Then Off Again | Challenge 5b: First-World ProblemsChallenge 5a: Make a Map | 

Challenge 4: Fly! (On a Bike!) | Challenge 3: Run!..(At All!) | Challenge 2: Stretch! | Challenge 1: Swim Faster! |

My Fitness Pal

"She was a woman who had wandered almost by accident into a life she had not quite intended for herself..." --Lawrence Osborne

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird 

of the family Anatidae on our hands." --Douglas Adams

Lots of plotting, excellent. :)

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Hey there -

Good luck in your tri today. I hope you enjoy it and get the kind of performance you want.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Hey there -

Good luck in your tri today. I hope you enjoy it and get the kind of performance you want.

<sigh> I'm sad to have to deprive the world of a thrilling race report, but even two weeks off from any exercise except bike commuting failed to make my sensitive shoulder feel fit for a mile swim -- particularly with the amount of time it's been spending moving a computer mouse around lately -- so I felt compelled to scratch myself and give myself a couple of days off from even bicycling.

But I was back on the bike today, am resuming (careful!) strength training tomorrow, and will be giving swimming and running (because my hamstring and lower back have also been uncooperative lately) and a try on subsequent days, so: looking forward to the August triathlon!  :) 

Challenge 6: Back on Track...and Then Off Again | Challenge 5b: First-World ProblemsChallenge 5a: Make a Map | 

Challenge 4: Fly! (On a Bike!) | Challenge 3: Run!..(At All!) | Challenge 2: Stretch! | Challenge 1: Swim Faster! |

My Fitness Pal

"She was a woman who had wandered almost by accident into a life she had not quite intended for herself..." --Lawrence Osborne

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird 

So, Week 1 was the Week That Was Ill-Starred. (Even if it was a bit early for the ides of the month.)

It has therefore been demoted to Week 0, and I'm giving myself a reset/do-ever/whatever so that my 6 week challenge corresponds to the 6-week round of kettlebell bootcamp (which commences this week) and ends during the week I intend to spend a long weekend visiting family, which will require x-treme mindfulness.

So, all's well that starts. Eventually.

Now I'm going to enter the recipe I just made for lunches for the week (today's a compulsory vacation day) into My Fitness Pal, enter my bike ride into the "Game 2" spreadsheet, get some laundry in so I have plenty of workout clothes ready this week, and then enjoy some restorative porch time before an early meditation session and bedtime and a productive and mindful workweek  :D 

P.S. I already purged some DVDs and some fake "plants" left over from my last fish tank. 

My Fitness Pal

Noooo! Well, you owe us a double-length race report in August then.

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Hey Merganser, I know you are busy this Challenge but while I was down in the L1 forum I met Prismcat and I thought you guys would really get along because you’re both interested in triathalon training. When you get a few minutes you should go catch up on this thread by clicking here and leave some encouraging words! Remember, it really means a lot to the newer rebels when we take time to check in on them :)

• Like 2

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Yeah, I am stupid busy this challenge  :rolleyes: 

But today I'm taking a special break from eating my lunch "mindfully" in the lunchroom to take my lunch break at my desk, so thanks for the link!  ^_^ 

(But it's okay, it's been the same thing 4 days in a row, so I'm not sure I have too many more deep thoughts to contemplate about "zoodles" and meat sauce with a side of tomato/cucumber/onion/basil salad  :tongue:) 

My Fitness Pal

Hi. I hope you're getting on OK there in your whirlwind of busyness.

Hi Merganser,

I thought I would drop by and say hi. This challenge you've created is super compact: everything in its place and lots of training. Sorry your body wasn't up for the race. Hopefully by August, you'll be raring to go. Take good care of you shoulder,and well everything else.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Hi Merganser,

I thought I would drop by and say hi. This challenge you've created is super compact: everything in its place and lots of training. Sorry your body wasn't up for the race. Hopefully by August, you'll be raring to go. Take good care of you shoulder,and well everything else.

Thanks for stopping by! 

And sorry to report that my body (and mind) haven't really been up for much of anything this challenge  <_< 

But I just had a good Day 1 of the 4 Weeks until My August Triathlon (and/or the 8 Weeks until my September Triathlon), and that's what counts today  :)

(And I have a really great NEXT challenge all ready to go, with a few tweaks!  :tongue:)

My Fitness Pal

I hope things are going great!

Thanks! Things are going better, after I let things get the better of me for a couple of months after my Whole30  :rolleyes:

(And although I did cave in yesterday and buy a pair of size-larger jeans, it was surprisingly effective at enabling me to stop focusing unhelpfully on the negative and start accentuating the positive...like that I at least rode my bike to the Gap to buy them!  :tongue:)

My Fitness Pal

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines