So uhhhh hi. I'm going to Japan in the fall and I need help! I took a little bit of Japanese a number of years ago, but it's gotten very rusty and I also don't have anyone to practice with here IRL. So I was hoping for a pen pal, or a forum pal, or something, with which to converse and learn some new skills. I will also be working on the reading (re-learning the kana and learning many kanji for the first time) so some conversations may be taking place very slowly and painfully in roomaji.

Doomo arigatou gozaimashita!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I took 3 semesters of Japanese in college but haven't done anything with it after that. I need to start back; so, i'm game.

One note: I think you wanted to say gozaimasu (ã”ã–ã„ã¾ã™). gozaimashita (ã”ã–ã„ã¾ã—ãŸ) is formal past tense, meaning someone already did something for you to thank them. I'm not entirely sure but it makes since to me.

ã“ã¡ã‚‰ã“ã (kochira koso)

• Like 1

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

Push ups: Yellow Belt

Ohayo gozimasu! (Okay, it's not actually the morning, so that's wrong.  But whatever.)

Trying to just flat out learn Japanese myself.  I don't even care about learning hirigana until I get myself a decent vocabulary and basic understanding/internalization of grammar.  So I may just stalk what happens here.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

ã“ã‚“ã«ã¡ã¯

konnichiwa

I found the japanese grammar to be much easier than english. Most everything is labeled (topic, subject, object, place markers). But, I would think the grammar and hiragana would be hard to separate.

• Like 1

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

Oooh I'll give that a try! I actually also picked up this book called Remembering the Kanji that I think will be super helpful. I studied my brains out for about an hour and some of it actually stuck with me...but I haven't stuck with the studying. Hence it being one of my challenge goals.

ç§ã¯ã‚»ã‚¯ã‚·ãƒ¼ãªç¾Šã®å¥³ç¥žã§ã™ã€‚

(Copied straight out of Google Translate. lulz)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ç§ã¯ã‚»ã‚¯ã‚·ãƒ¼ãªç¾Šã®å¥³ç¥žã§ã™ã€‚

I looked at this for a long time trying to figure out what you were trying to say - and then i realised it was your byline :P

anyways, ima keep an eye on this. i studied japanese for a few years, mostly lost it all now. but i should really get back into it.

• Like 1

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

I self-taught myself Japanese in high school and college and eventually got to the point where I was an advanced beginner, but I haven't worked on it in a while.  Part of my problem was I had no one to practice with either.  I have a number of books, but one of my favorites is "Japanese in Mangaland".   

Are you going for vacation or moving to Japan?

I self-taught myself Japanese in high school and college and eventually got to the point where I was an advanced beginner, but I haven't worked on it in a while.  Part of my problem was I had no one to practice with either.  I have a number of books, but one of my favorites is "Japanese in Mangaland".   

Are you going for vacation or moving to Japan?

Watashi wa kyÅ«ka ni ikimasu. Watashi wa TÅkyÅ to KyÅto o hÅmon sa remasu.

Watashi no Nihongo wa warui desu.    :nevreness: 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

HokkaidŠwa hijŠni kirei ni mie, yuki no saru wa subarashīdesu.

I will have to look up "vacation" in my dictionary at home. Unless someone here has input. I looked a bit online but couldn't find anything definite. But I also didn't look very hard. 

Hooray Google Translate. Hahahhaa.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Watashi ga wakarimashita; node anata no nihongo wa warui dewa arimasen

I need to go and study, it's taking me way to long to construct sentences.

How are you using google translate? Be careful not to let it become a crutch.

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

Haha! Agreed. I need to go back and crunch the books. 

So I'm mostly trying to figure out what sentences say, but then copying and pasting into Google to see if I get the context right. Which, I don't know if that's actually helpful because it seems that Google Translate doesn't really understand Japanese grammar. But that's ok! It is helping to re-familiarize myself with a lot of the verbs, so yay!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ohayou gozaimasu! I'm another wayward nihongo student who needs to pick it back up. I want to be able to introduce myself to the Okinawan sensei at the next open gasshuku and I'd love to be able to hold a small conversation with him. Thankfully, that's not for another year haha

Wandering Monk

Starting Weight: 238 Current Weight: 189.2 Goal Weight: 150

PRs

Mile: 12:49 (11/1/14) 5K: 44:07 (3/13/16)

Watashi wa TÅkyÅ to KyÅto o hÅmon sa remasu.

This is the kinda thing that happens when you try to translate word to word, rather than meanings. 'Homon sa remasu" for "i will visit" doesn't read right. You want to use a different bit of grammar (intention) rather than a different verb, in this case:

watashi ga toukyou to kyouto ni ikutsumori desu. 

ç§ ãŒ æ±äº¬ 㨠京都 ã« è¡Œãã¤ã‚‚ã‚Š ã§ã™

• Like 1

Watashi ga wakarimashita; node anata no nihongo wa warui dewa arimasen

same deal. don't think of a sentence piece for piece, you need to use grammar. "node" as you've used it is casual as hell, and combined with the rest of your sentence its confusing. if a sentence is reasoning something, you can place the modifer at the end:

日本語 ㌠ã‚ã‚‹ããªã„ã®ã§ã™ã€‚

Reversing the original structure, you can put this sentence at the front:

日本語 ㌠ã‚ã‚‹ããªã„ã®ã§ã€ã ã‹ã‚‰ã‚ã‹ã‚Šã‚„ã™ã„ã§ã™ã€‚

Gives a clearer understanding of your meaning. 

ã‚ã‚ŠãŒã¨ã†

It's been a while since I've touched Japanese. It didn't sound right; but it was the best I had at the time. But, even when I was studying and talking regularly, I still screwed up the politeness.

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

S'all good. Actually speaking is more important, and you can get the meaning of your sentence just fine when spoken. Since we're actually talking about learning, i thought id try help :)

also i don't know where y'all are at grammar-wise, so if you've never seen intention (tsumori) or reasoning (N-desu, kara/node, dakara) then it's kinda tricky to put together these sentences.

zelos - you can download something for windows which allows you type them, its called a japanese IME or something? but i just use good translate, has the same function :P

hows the study going everyone?

hows the study going everyone?

Maa-maa desu.

I did spend some time with the books yesterday, refreshing myself on sentence structure. My vocabulary really needs help.

ShÅ«matsu wa dÅdeshita ka?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8