Missmouse - life, love and lifting

Missmouse

Third challenge ya'll!  My last challenge went well, even with a small interruption for ooey-gooey lurve.  Keeping it simple once again:

1. Life â€“ I’m starting the second week of my very first cut after eating above maintenance for about 8 weeks.  So far, not so bad.  I’m doing a fairly easy cut at 500 calories below maintenance, which puts me at 1620 calories.  So far, I really haven't had any issues with hunger, probably because I've cut my carbs back quite a bit and increased my fat intake.  My plan is to cut for 4 weeks, ramp up calories for a week, and go back to slightly above maintenance. 

2. Love – Without going into TMI territory, I favor romantic relationships that are well outside the parameters of what most folks consider "normal".  Since I’ve been single for so long, readjusting to the dynamic has taken some getting used to.  I have a series of daily goals to complete, and I’m working diligently to incorporate them into my life in an authentic manner.  (How well I do on this particular goal will account for about 60% of my overall score.  It's very important to me.)

3. Lifting – I’m finally making the switch from 5x3 to a more intermediate program.  However, I still want to stick with the Oly lifting.  So, I’m mapping out a bastardized 5/3/1/Oly program, and will be tweaking that for the next couple of weeks until I hit on something that feels good and sustainable.  While cutting, I’m expecting my gains to stall, but once I go back to maintenance+ I’ll work on ramping up my PR’s.

Glad to be back among the Warriors!

Always an alliterative appellation...

Sub'd.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Hello there! Good luck on your third challenge! I'm also lifting while eating at a deficit, I'm still a newb so that helps with making modest gains... I'm curious to see how it goes for you. Awesomely, no doubt!

Powerlifter, Strongwoman, Pharmacist, Earth bender, Mom, Iowan, Pianist, Gloomhavener, Madeira enthusiast, Apex Legend, Flexitarian, Combat veteran, Occasional Twitter troll, Watches too many reality cooking shows

Albeus - I had the same experience back when I was really new at lifting.  I could eat a deficit, lift heavy, make gains, and still lose fat.  It was awesome!  Unfortunately, I'm learning that it can't last forever.  Sad face.

Challenge is off to a good start.  I'm hitting my calorie/macro goals without experiencing much hunger, which is great.  I'm thinking I'll be able to do a more drastic cut the next time around.  I'd really like to get into a Waldo-esque routine of 8 weeks bulking/2 weeks hard cutting.  Because I looooove good food, and I can survive anything for 2 weeks.

Workout today felt awesome, but I'm really dragging my feet about making the jump to an intermediate program.  I have the basic framework for 5/3/1 mappedout, but I'm not sure if I've programmed my accessory and Oly lifts well.  I'm going to do some more reading on the subject.  So, for today's workout I did high volume squats, OHP and deadlifts.  Ahhhh, SL 5x5.  You are truly in my blood...

New relationship is going swimmingly.  Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure some of the easiness of this cut can be attributed to the massive dose of positive chemicals I'm awash in on a daily basis.  Our brains really are amazing little drug peddlers.

So, cutting sucks.  Going into week 3, and I'm starting to feel really hungry before every meal and not quite satisfied after.  Workouts are...meh.  Not horrible, but not great.  Pretty much just holding steady.  I'm thinking about sour gummy worms more than can be considered normal.  But - on the bright side - the relationship is humming along. 

• Like 1

I love chewy/gummy sweet things too. I get cravings for snapple flavored jelly beans. I'm glad you've found a suitable partner in crime!

Powerlifter, Strongwoman, Pharmacist, Earth bender, Mom, Iowan, Pianist, Gloomhavener, Madeira enthusiast, Apex Legend, Flexitarian, Combat veteran, Occasional Twitter troll, Watches too many reality cooking shows

For some reason Gummy worms were on my mind when I cut out all my carbs... I think its because my grocery store has all those Haribo gummies next to the cash register...

What does your bastardized Oly 5/3/1 look like?

I'm looking at a transition to 5/3/1 in the next few months after I've finished cutting, and have given a final effort to max out my noob gains.

Also, I've been doing Clean and Presses, and loving the Oly "style" lifting and I'd like to incorporate more of it into my routine.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

For some reason Gummy worms were on my mind when I cut out all my carbs... I think its because my grocery store has all those Haribo gummies next to the cash register...

What does your bastardized Oly 5/3/1 look like?

I'm looking at a transition to 5/3/1 in the next few months after I've finished cutting, and have given a final effort to max out my noob gains.

Also, I've been doing Clean and Presses, and loving the Oly "style" lifting and I'd like to incorporate more of it into my routine.

I've basically been using the Oly lifts as my accessory lifts.  I'm still in the very early stages of the more intermediate program, but this is what it looks like so far:

Bench day - snatch, pistol squats, front squats

Deadlift day - rows, lat pulldowns, shrugs

Squat day - pull-ups, upright rows, curls

OHP Day - cleans, pistol squats, overhead squats

We'll see how it goes.  I'm pretty sure 5/3/1 wasn't designed for the accessory lifts to be full-body lifts, but since my weights are still relatively low I'm not too worried about getting burned out.  So I'll see how it goes for this challenge and then reevaluate.  Plus, after another 2 weeks I can go back to eating above maintenance, which will give me a nice kick in the pants. 

I love chewy/gummy sweet things too. I get cravings for snapple flavored jelly beans. I'm glad you've found a suitable partner in crime!

Feeling the love for all the gummy goodness!  After my workout today I was craving sour skittles like crazy.  I made due with a chicolate protein shake instead.  Le sigh...

I've basically been using the Oly lifts as my accessory lifts.  I'm still in the very early stages of the more intermediate program, but this is what it looks like so far:

Bench day - snatch, pistol squats, front squats

Deadlift day - rows, lat pulldowns, shrugs

Squat day - pull-ups, upright rows, curls

OHP Day - cleans, pistol squats, overhead squats

We'll see how it goes.  I'm pretty sure 5/3/1 wasn't designed for the accessory lifts to be full-body lifts, but since my weights are still relatively low I'm not too worried about getting burned out.  So I'll see how it goes for this challenge and then reevaluate.  Plus, after another 2 weeks I can go back to eating above maintenance, which will give me a nice kick in the pants. 

Nice! That was one general way I was thinking of doing it. I'll let you be the guinea pig and see how it works before I try it or something similar.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Got sidetracked last week by the sad necessity of putting down my sweet, 14-year-old dog.  Spent about 4 days not really eating or moving.  Sad times...  If anyone has gone through that experience, you know how terrible it is.  But, as pet owners, it's our responsability to give a voice to our animals, and make the hard decisions.  RIP big guy.

But, back to the challenge this week.

1. Last week of the cut, and I'm noticing quite dramatic results on the tape measure.  Which is kind of a relief, since I'm loathe to go below 1600 calories a day.  (But I do realize that if I continue to get leaner, it will become an inevitability.)

2. Ain't love grand?  Yes. Yes it is.

3. I only have this to say for 5/3/1 accessory work: I'm a total chump when it comes to volume.  You'd think 20 reps with half my working weight would be a breeze, but lordy am I sore!  I'm beginning to realize how attached I was to 5 reps max after being on SL for so long.  This is really throwing my body for a loop.

So sorry to hear about your dog!  But you are totally right, and doing the right thing can be / is the hardest thing sometimes! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal Stats: (
About Me)
Start Weight: 279.6    Current Weight: 270.1    Goal Weight: 220.0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge History: Lvl 1 Rebel, PvP, Lvl 2 Warrior, Lvl 3 Warrior

1.  The cut is over!  Back to maintenance calories.  I celebrated with a package of sour gummy worms.

2. The new beau is meeting the family on Saturday.  Very excited about this new development.

3. Looking forward to my workouts kicking substantially more ass now that I'm eating more.  I also adjusted my accessory work so that I'm hitting the same muscle groups as my main lifts.  For some reason when I originally put it together, I was pairing leg accessory work with bench and OHP days, and visa versa.  That was...not successful.  This seems to be flowing a lot better.

On a side note - the Tucson heat is making me a grumpy old woman.  Bah!

1.  The cut is over!  Back to maintenance calories.  I celebrated with a package of sour gummy worms.

2. The new beau is meeting the family on Saturday.  Very excited about this new development.

3. Looking forward to my workouts kicking substantially more ass now that I'm eating more.  I also adjusted my accessory work so that I'm hitting the same muscle groups as my main lifts.  For some reason when I originally put it together, I was pairing leg accessory work with bench and OHP days, and visa versa.  That was...not successful.  This seems to be flowing a lot better.

On a side note - the Tucson heat is making me a grumpy old woman.  Bah!

Yay maintenance! So tasty, so fun.

I know what you mean about finding a flow that works for you, I recently rearranged my workouts as well and it seems to be an improvement. Good luck finishing the last week!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines