• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I start working full time in July. Have less than a month left to fool around and not drive myself crazy with the lack of a schedule. Not having a schedule has been hard because it's definitely thrown off my eating and workout habits. Want to keep having fun with my time off, but also don't want to feel like a slug by the end of it.

Goal # 1: Food Tracking (+2 WIS, +2 CHA)

* Track what & when I eat

* Mindful eating (not snacking in front of TV, computer, etc)

* Don't buy junk food for the house, don't go out alone for junk food

Goal # 2: Daily Movement (+ 4 STA)

* General unorganized stretching every day.

* Move (walk, run, bike, whatever) at least 30 min every day. Doesn't have to be all at once.

* Do something actively fun (play frisbee, practice archery, paint, pretty much anything where you don't realize you're moving around)

Goal # 3: Organized Workouts (+2 STR, +2 DEX)

Complete mix of 3 each week:

* Cardio - Sprint or distance

* Yoga/Stretching video - at least 30 min

* Bodyweight Routine - do one of these http://neilarey.com/workouts.html and have fun with it

Life Goal: Reading (+3 CHA)

Finish 3 books. Obtain 1 point per book finished.

* Dance of Dragons by George RR Martin

* Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

* TBD

I'll figure out grading later. Just wanted to get something down. Goals 2 & 3 overlap, so moving for 3 will count towards 2's requirements.

• Like 2

Hi! What will you be reading?

It's probably best if you add some focus and grading to your goals later so you keep up the motivation :)

Thanks! Adding stat points does help me complete the goals. I will definitely be reading A Dance of Dragons. I've had Wise Man's Fear on my list for a while so it would be nice to finish that too. Third book I'll decide depending on what I feel like reading after those two are done.

Week 1, Day 1: Spent most of the day painting the house w my bf. My forearms are actually kind of sore today. Rooms look much better but definitely need another coat done tonight after he gets home from work. Mindful eating was pretty good, but we're running low on food in the house. Need to go to the store and get food & snacks for the week so we don't decide to grab takeout.

• Like 2

Nice goals :). I'll be following you around next six weeks, I hope you'll do well! We had to paint our apartment last year, so I feel your sore arms ;). Good luck on your challenge!

Thanks! Painting is a pain, but not terrible with 2 people and music to rock out to. Finished it up yesterday and pulled the tape off today. We still have to do the doors, door frames and molding eventually but that can wait for a while. Furniture gets here in 5 days. We'll probably have to shift the furniture around a bit before that...

Week 1, Day 2: Yesterday I tossed the rest of the snack foods and went shopping. Hopefully got enough to last us until Friday... I'm still trying to figure out how much food is enough for two people without leaving stuff to go bad. Especially since we have completely different eating schedules... It would probably help if I wrote down a weekly meal plan but that would take more planning than I want to do. We finished painting yesterday as well, but I haven't done anything for goal 3 yet this week.

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 3:

Sadly didn't move around much, but I ate well. Had an awesome salad consisting of spinach, kale, avocado, red bell pepper, cucumber, chicken, bacon and a hard boiled egg. Definitely something I'll be making again. I also started a notebook for keeping track of what I eat. I've tried the computer and all sorts of fancy apps but they just frustrate me. And fancy computer stuff is useless on days I don't turn on my computer.

Week 1, Day 4:

Still tracking food. Had no sweets today (unless you count an apple but apples are awesome so it doesn't count). Still need to work at cutting out the processed bread and stuff but baby steps.

Used runkeeper app on my phone and tried to follow one of their set workouts. Was supposed to be 5 min warmup, 1 mile steady jog, 0.25 mile walk, 1 mile steady jog, 5 min cool down. Personally I prefer doing intervals based on time instead of distance. I just did random walk/jog intervals as I got tired. More walking near the end than jogging but if I keep at it I know I can improve that.

TL:DR: Didn't like Runkeeper "training program" but I covered about 3.2 miles in 41:32 min by doing jog/walk intervals. Not terrible for first "5K" in a while... especially since I didn't specifically set out to cover that distance. ;)

• Like 1

Did you know you can program your own things into runkeeper? I also prefer set time intervals instead of distance. It's actually really easy too :)

Good job on taking baby steps with the food! We tried a week plan, but it just didnt work for us because we need some flexibility.. but now that i've figured out how much food will last us a week without going bad i'm all set and super happy with it!

• Like 1

Hey! Yay, new challenge.

For food, def make sure your fb is planning out the week with you. And after a while I've settled on some healthy convenience foods that are good for meals in a pinch - I try to have one meal in the freezer and 2-3 options in the pantry that I can toss together last minute. I also get a bunch if freezer vegetables, for last minute meals.

I've discovered that for me, it's not about what I'm eating, but how much of it. And if I wait too long for meals BC I'm focused on cooking nice stuff, I eat too many things!

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 1

Did you know you can program your own things into runkeeper? I also prefer set time intervals instead of distance. It's actually really easy too :)

Good job on taking baby steps with the food! We tried a week plan, but it just didnt work for us because we need some flexibility.. but now that i've figured out how much food will last us a week without going bad i'm all set and super happy with it!

I'm just starting to get the hang of runkeeper, but I was hoping there was a way to customize my workouts. Now I just need to play with the settings and determine what I want to set as far as workouts go. Slowly getting the hang of being in charge of food shopping. Luckily I don't mind doing it and the store is only a few miles down the road. Once I start working I'll be driving straight past it every day as well. I would rather take 2-3 trips over the week than have food go bad but eventually maybe I'll get a better handle of how much to buy :)

Hey! Yay, new challenge. For food, def make sure your fb is planning out the week with you. And after a while I've settled on some healthy convenience foods that are good for meals in a pinch - I try to have one meal in the freezer and 2-3 options in the pantry that I can toss together last minute. I also get a bunch if freezer vegetables, for last minute meals. I've discovered that for me, it's not about what I'm eating, but how much of it. And if I wait too long for meals BC I'm focused on cooking nice stuff, I eat too many things!Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

Bf is slowly getting better at food decisions over 2-3 days of dinners. You're right - it definitely helps when he makes meal suggestions. Any tips for freezer meals? That is one thing I haven't worked out yet. When living alone, I just froze my leftovers but I haven't increased the amount I'm cooking so "leftovers" don't last past lunch or dinner the following day.

Yay food goals.  I will be stalking for mutual good food choices vibes!

Haha thanks! I'll make sure to stalk you back. Always nice to have a partner in crime for healthy food motivation.

Any tips for freezer meals? That is one thing I haven't worked out yet.

I confess, I will keep healthy (not full of junk) burritos or tamales in the freezer and we always have lettuce, so I'll have a giant plate of lettuce w a burrito on top. Soooo easy.

But more better food, it's easy to make shredded chicken or keep a few pork chops in the freezer ready to cook. And anytime you make a big pot of soup, stick some in the freezer right away!

I confess, I will keep healthy (not full of junk) burritos or tamales in the freezer and we always have lettuce, so I'll have a giant plate of lettuce w a burrito on top. Soooo easy.

But more better food, it's easy to make shredded chicken or keep a few pork chops in the freezer ready to cook. And anytime you make a big pot of soup, stick some in the freezer right away!

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely have to try freezing some shredded chicken. Sounds like something fantastic for quick salads and simple meals. Last trip to the store I did pick up frozen shrimp and salmon filets to keep on hand.

Week 1, Day 5 & 6: Well Friday the 13th definitely lived up to its reputation. Got stuck in terrible traffic when I went food shopping, spent more money than I wanted (mostly because I'm trying to stock cabinet/freezer supplies which always seems to put a dent in the wallet), then my laptop decided it didn't feel like starting. Luckily it works today... I guess the humidity messed it up temporarily?

I've been tracking food shopping bills. More expensive than I'd like, but I'm hoping the bills will decrease after I get better at this (and don't have to stock the cabinets from nothing). Yesterday I went a bit crazy in the produce aisle (see below). Messed up on a few coupons too, but now I have some read to eat snacks. The two containers on the right are prepped for a salmon, mango & avocado salad I planned for Saturday dinner.

tumblr_n76rp3ySVD1sggmf1o2_250.jpg  tumblr_n76rp3ySVD1sggmf1o1_250.jpg

Friday's dinner was a shrimp & veg stir fry with jasmine rice. Vegetables featured are snap peas, red bell pepper, broccoli, and onions. I barely remembered to take a picture of it. Got teased a bit for pausing to take this pic.Should probably work on my food presentation if I'm going to keep posting meals ;)

tumblr_n76rp3ySVD1sggmf1o3_500.jpg

I do need to work on being mindful with my food. I've been snacking while reading and watching world cup matches... As far as workouts go, I did a 25 min yoga routine following a youtube video. I didn't feel like I got much out of it. Definitely felt the stretch, but am not very confident regarding my form. My heels were so far off the ground for downward dog it's not even funny. Need to do some major work on calf flexibility

• Like 3

Week 1 Review

Goal 1: Food (A)

Did pretty well for the first week. No junk food rule worked out fantastically. I haven't had any processed desserty or snack type foods since finishing the last pieces of chocolate on Tuesday or Wednesday (and tossing the other junk). Thursday and Friday were rough and I probably overdid it on fruit purchases but I didn't cave. I guess the important part is my "no going out & buying desserts alone" rule. I have a habit of going out to coffee shops specifically to pick up a cookie or scone. And since we didn't get dessert when we went out for Farther's day I didn't even break the streak on Sunday!!

Food tracking is going well too. I've used my little notebook to track everything. I've been generally moderating my snacking habits too when I know it has to be written down later. Though my mindful eating needs to be improved this was otherwise a fantastic week!

Goal 2: Move (B )

Did not do as well with this goal. Workouts, errands and painting saved me but I need to get off my butt and stop moping around the house. Only have 2 more weeks before work begins. I need to make the most of that time. This weekend and next week we'll be traveling so I need to get some exploring in. It'll be nice to have a walking buddy again.

Goal 3: Workout (B-)

Started off well with a long jog/walk. Then I did yoga while watching England vs Italy for the World Cup. I didn't enjoy it much, maybe because I was more focused on the game but I also didn't really like the set of movements. Felt them in my shoulders for the next couple of days though... Meant to do a 3rd workout but didn't get it in on Sat or Sun. Again, room for improvement.

• Like 2

Good job on your first week :). There's many online yoga video's, and it really depends on your taste which are best for you. I don't like about 90% of the online yoga videos I have done, so I feel lucky every time I find one that's my style ;).

I hope you'll find some more room for your moving and workout this week ;).

Week 2, days 1-3:

Food tracking has been going well. Food choices probably not as great Monday and Tuesday when we finished off leftovers from the pizza night. Tried to balance it out with extra vegetables.

Moving truck came on Monday. Spent the past 3 days carting around boxes and sorting through my junk. Eliminated a bunch of stuff through donating, recycling or tossing. I'm very tempted to toss my trophies but am holding back on that urge... For now. No clue what else to do with them.

Also I did the Guardsman Workout today. My core is definitely in need of some extra work, the side plank hip lifts were hard, even after I dropped to my elbow for less load on my shoulder. Definitely had me sweating (or was that the weather?). Good workout, I definitely will repeat it but I also want to try more of her stuff.

• Like 2

Good job :). I did not realize what people had against fresh pizza until I ate some pizza in America, which was much more fat, had a thicker crust and is more salty than home-made pizza. I like pizza, and making them myself is inexpensive and easy. I think that if you combine it with some salad, pizza is not that unhealthy compared to "normal" dinner. Maybe you can make pizza yourself next time you'll have pizza night?

I feel you for the moving part, it's always a lot of work and it's even more work if you decide not to throw away that much. I've moved often during my studies, it was always a good moment to reconsider some of the items that might be useful "in the future". Still, I always brought a lot of stuff I didn't use, so I was not rigorous enough ;). I wish you good luck with packing and moving!

Yeah typical American pizza isn't great for you. Do you usually make the crusts or buy premade crust? I've made it before both ways, but the crusts are pretty labor intensive. The big problem was I didn't have food in to make at home and caved to the lazy option. I like to throw a ton of veggies on my pizzas when I make it at home.

I have a friend who likes to say she moves every 3 years to curb her pack rat tendencies. I have gotten rid of a lot of stuff, but there's still a lot of stuff I can eliminate. I've just moved into the "I need to look through this first" category. World Cup games are good opportunities to sort through piles of papers though ;)

• Like 1

I make the crust myself. I knead it either in the bread machine, or by hand. I don't think it's very labor intensive, it is definitely less labor intensive than home-made bread. It just depends on your perspective. You can also look into no-knead pizza doughs, although I have mixed results with that.

Hmm... I may have to try this when we're done fixing up the kitchen. It's a small kitchen and we're definitely not using our cabinet space properly. Gotta get some counter space for future culinary adventures

We often will pick up pizza dough from the grocery store. Sometimes you can get it frozen, too - and roll it out to make our crusts.

Hey are you still in NJ? Asking BC the farmers markets will be starting up soon, and you can get amazing produce there! Also a CSA box is a great way to get lots of vegetables too, but it might be too late to sign up for one.

Yeah I'm still in NJ. There's a farmers market within walking distance to me. It's on a weekday but open late enough that I could catch the last hour and a half.

I'm tempted to sign up for a CSA. I'm usually hesitant though because it doesn't seem there is much control over what you get. Especially in NJ I don't think the "no tomatoes" request would go over well :P I was hoping to plant a garden this year. Might have to hold off on planting things until August when it starts getting cooler again. Unless we plant all of the zucchini.

Week 2, Days 3-5:

Still tracking food. Still moving boxes and furniture, though admittedly much less than before. I've been participating in the mini challenge and working on the shoulder and wrist exercises. Also got a good stretching routine in for my legs. They were tight after the guardsman workout.

Getting ready for a weekend trip away. Planning to do a lot of walking/exploring but i probably won't get another bodyweight workout in. If we go to the beach and walk around for over an hour I'll count that as a workout (my version of walking on the beach is running around like a moron ;) )

• Like 2

Hey everyone, I'm still alive. Just got back from a weekend of traveling. We ate out a lot so diet wasn't great, but did take the opportunity to go for a lot of walks because the weather was perfect. Makes it slightly better maybe?

Week 2 Review:

Food (B) - didn't eat very well after Thursday. A lot of drinking and eating at restaurants with family. Split a dessert on Sunday after dinner. It actually wasn't that exciting or necessary after over a week of not eating any desserts.

Move (A) - did well on this goal. A lot of walking, decent amount of carrying boxes in and out of rooms, etc. I still need to work on my tendency to sit around for a few hours reading or wasting time on the internet.

Workout (B- ) - 2/3 completed. I did the guardsman workout and was definitely sore the next few days. Need to get into a routine of doing more bodyweight stuff, it felt good to make use of my muscles. Then a few days later I succumbed to the call of my soccer ball and kicked it around the hard for 20-30 min. I'm definitely not a pro, but it was fun to run around and try to navigate with the ball around makeshift beanbag place markers.

• Like 3

Week 3 Update So Far....

Food goals have been going well. Still cooking/eating at home for the most part. Made a giant salad with baby kale, cod with a pineapple/cucumber salsa, peppers, grilled corn and bell peppers. Delicious but I forgot to take pics again. Even though we had it 2 nights in a row. Oops.

Been getting out and walking a bit more. Was really hot the past few days. Might have also kicked a soccer ball around inside the house on the hottest day. This activity was thoroughly encouraged by my bf who kicked the ball back at me. Somehow we didn't break anything ;) Also went for a run. 5 min warmup, 5 sets of 1 min fast intervals where I mixed up sprinting & jogging, 1 min of slow intervals where I walked. As I said - stupidly hot out. I've been having more fun with running lately but my ITB still gets cranky after I do it...

I need a schedule... work starts next week (scary/exciting?) so I'll definitely have a schedule then. But this unscheduled nonsense and growing lack of motivation is really interfering with doing workouts. I feel exhausted all the time even though I've been getting (more than) enough sleep. Hoping the mopey feeling is from lack of a schedule.

• Like 2