The Istrix - V2 Challenge: Harder, Bigger, Faster, Stronger.

Istrix

I figure one must eat well before a run, so tonight I made Crispy Salmon.

To make Salmon crispy you rub it down with oil (I used toasted sesame) and pan sear it in a really hot oven safe pan.

Once you've got a nice sear flip it and finish under a salamander (broiler for those of you that never worked in the business).

I used a nice ten inch skillet and mixed a little tequila, triple sec, and oyster sauce with crushed red pepper to make a glaze.

My fish is sitting on a bed of quinoa with a side of garlic sauteed mixed spinach, baby kale and arugula and some charred green onions.

10371917_10201329256153083_5385762921771

• Like 5

Level 2 Rebel
STR: 5    DEX: 1    STA: 7    CON: 6    WIS: 4    CHA: 4

"The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward."

Latest Challenge

Challenge 1

Take lots of pics of the Tough Mudder! Especially Before and After ones lol :P

• Like 1

I go to face my destiny

• Like 1

Level 2 Rebel

"The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward."

Latest Challenge

Challenge 1

I figure one must eat well before a run, so tonight I made Crispy Salmon.

To make Salmon crispy you rub it down with oil (I used toasted sesame) and pan sear it in a really hot oven safe pan.

Once you've got a nice sear flip it and finish under a salamander (broiler for those of you that never worked in the business).

I used a nice ten inch skillet and mixed a little tequila, triple sec, and oyster sauce with crushed red pepper to make a glaze.

My fish is sitting on a bed of quinoa with a side of garlic sauteed mixed spinach, baby kale and arugula and some charred green onions.

10371917_10201329256153083_5385762921771

your food pics make me hungry.... so.... very.... hungry.

how was the mudder?

• Like 1

Done.  Bring on the next one, because I ate this for breakfast.

gallery_4639_1047_921962.jpg

• Like 5

Level 2 Rebel

Latest Challenge

Challenge 1

In a related story, I ran a 10 mile obstacle course today.  I'm skipping my workout. 

• Like 5

Level 2 Rebel

Latest Challenge

Challenge 1

It was actually not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be, but I still have memory of doing Rugged Maniac last year when I was badly out of shape.  I came to play on this one and it was a pretty good time.

• Like 1

Level 2 Rebel

Latest Challenge

Challenge 1

Nice.

pardon typos, I'm running an OCR right now...

• Like 1

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

It was actually not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be, but I still have memory of doing Rugged Maniac last year when I was badly out of shape.  I came to play on this one and it was a pretty good time.

that's awesome man! great job. 

• Like 1

Holy god I'm glad I decided to take a rest day after Mudder... my abs are effing killing me this morning.  I hope I'm not getting old or something.  I will feed them with chicken wings and then get back to lifting tomorrow.

Coughing feels like getting punched in the stomach... what crap is this??

• Like 5

Level 2 Rebel

Latest Challenge

Challenge 1

Holy god I'm glad I decided to take a rest day after Mudder... my abs are effing killing me this morning.  I hope I'm not getting old or something.  I will feed them with chicken wings and then get back to lifting tomorrow.

Coughing feels like getting punched in the stomach... what crap is this??

Same thing happened to me after the Super Spartan. Your body was stressed and now needs rest, you are getting old no doubt about it, but no one can stop aging :P

• Like 1

Lies!  I will not age until I damn well choose to.

I've been kind of quiet about posting this week since I pretty much took a week off from everything after completing my first run.  I've been eating like crap, because I've earned it.  Monday I return to a much stricter diet, and since my tattoo appointment got pushed back to July, I started lifting again Friday.

50lb floor press: 12,12,11

40lb row: 12,10, 7/9

20lb curl: 9,5, 3/4

55lb shrug: 12,12,12 (which means I'll need to buy more weight to move up on this one.  Might try just holding it longer)

45lb seated extension: 12,9,6

** 10lb Dumb bell lying pronation: 12, 12, 12

** This is a new workout for me targeted at forearm development.  I started low, at 10lbs since I've never done it, but it was pretty easy at that weight so I'm probably going to jump to 20lbs next round.  Which is tonight, and if the rain lets up It's time to run again.  

Super Spartan on August 23rd, starting the clock tomorrow at 61 days.

TCYgMjK.gif

• Like 3

Level 2 Rebel

Latest Challenge

Challenge 1

Great job man get back on that horse with the food

Sent from my nokia 3210

Honestly I'm looking forward to it.  Though Pizza and Chicken Wings (holymonkeymotherofbastardchristonacrutch I love wings) have been nice, I've gone back to eating some junk that I used to eat frequently only to find it either very unsatisfying at best, or at worst making me physically ill.  So I'm not overly upset to end my week off, though the rest of this challenge is going to be about gaining positive weight rather than dropping any more.  177 at 5'11 I think is quite far enough, and someone important called me a skeleton.. which has prompted my "oh yeah?  Watch this..." reaction.

• Like 3

Level 2 Rebel

Latest Challenge

Challenge 1

I will add one thing here. Chicken wings are freaking awesome and a good healthy paleo meal so don't you go claiming them as unhealthy ;)

Sent from my nokia 3210

• Like 1

Race: Undead Gnoll | Class: Ranger

[Level: 3 | STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 4 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 4 ]

Intro: And Breath.. Challenges: #1,#2,#3(FAIL),#4

You don't drown by falling in the water, you drown by staying there.

-Edwin Louis Cole

Ok, slacker week has concluded.  We return to our regularly scheduled challenge already in progress.

Since I didn't spend the night at home, and had a million things to run around and do, I'll be getting back to running and weights today after work, and if I'm lucky and a check I've been waiting for comes in the mail I'll be signing myself and a partner in crime up for spartan, if not probably tomorrow.

Today will be a short run, since I've taken a week off.  Just a mile of sprint intervals I think, and my usual weight routine.  Tomorrow I'm going to go for another distance run, and a core routine.  Right not I'm doing just a couple plank variations and some flutter kicks.  If anyone has suggestions on some effective body weight based core exorcizes I'd love to hear about them, I'd like to have maybe five things I can do three sets of and work on progressing.

61 days to Spartan.

mcrunwt6.gif

• Like 3

Level 2 Rebel

Latest Challenge

Challenge 1

Looking for body weight exercises?  I started off with the Angry Bird workout here http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/03/10/angry-birds-workout-plan/ and it gave me a good overall body workout and level up goals.  It didn't take too long to do and I would add running in between sets instead of resting.  From doing that plan, I have developed my standard style where I do a set of body weight movements and then run a lap for muscle recovery which has worked out very well for me.

Core exercises that I like:

Scooby's rotisserie core workout -I found Scooby recently and I was told he is a longtime blogger on fitness.

Leg lifts 6 to 90s.  I will do a set of 20 with 20 flutter kicks on every fifth rep. It is a challenge to get up and run after that.

Handstands for a minute or two each.  I am still against the wall for these.

I am sure I can think of more latter.

• Like 1

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

Tonight:

Hard running intervals: 1.01 miles.  Towards the end my knee started KKKKKilling me, it had started to ache at the end of mudder.  Might go back to wearing a brace when I run, anyway, cleared the mile in a little over 9 minutes.

50lbs floor press: 12,12 10  - one rep less than last time

40lbs row: 12,11,9 - several reps up

20lbs hammer curl - 9, 5, 5 - up a couple on the last set, I'll take it

55lbs shrug 12,12,12 - so.. this is all the weight I have per hand, so going to be working on holding the weight up longer until I buy some heavier plates

45lbs seated extension: 12, 10, 6 - one rep up, again, better than nothing

15lbs Dumb bell lying pronation: 12, 12, 12 - still working out the form on this one.

A picture of tonight's meal: Blue cheese, bacon, and napa cabbage stuffed split chicken breast with garlic satueed kale, finished with a basil peppercorn beurre blanc might follow..

• Like 2

Level 2 Rebel

Latest Challenge

Challenge 1

Mind that knee buddy they can take you out of the game for a long time if you don't listen to them

Sent from my nokia 3210

• Like 1

Race: Undead Gnoll | Class: Ranger

[Level: 3 | STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 4 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 4 ]

Intro: And Breath.. Challenges: #1,#2,#3(FAIL),#4

You don't drown by falling in the water, you drown by staying there.

-Edwin Louis Cole

Mind that knee buddy they can take you out of the game for a long time if you don't listen to them

Sent from my nokia 3210

Thanks, I've jacked up my knees, ankles, shoulders, wrists etc over the years in various acts of self-abuse.  At this point I'm pretty much banking on stem cell and 3d printing breakthroughs in hopes of spare part vending machines by the time I get old.   If not I'm screwed.

• Like 3

Level 2 Rebel

Latest Challenge

Challenge 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines