• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bluecarfuffle

BlueCarfuffle - Last challenge reboot.

I got injured, bad. The shoulder hurts. But I have to get back into it, the rest of my body misses those BBWW so much.

Main Goal: It's still "Fit into the Hot Blue Pants by the en of July." Yep, that would be the end of this challenge.

Specifically, it means:

1. take care of the left shoulder, but keep it working, gently. That means not using it as an excuse to let all the other exercises slip by. Three times a week, BBWW. Yes, even if the push-ups are standing, pushing against the wall.
  2. Keep on track with Paleo. I have one cheat day per week (usually Sunday), I usually end up eating chocolate and sugar, but carbs? No love lost there. (Except beans. Oh, my dear beans.)
  3. Sleep. Good grief, how difficult is it for a gal to go to bed at 11pm?? Just do it.
  4. Track down what's causing trouble, health-wise. Pester those doctors and demand answers.

(Luckily for me, I already fit in the HBP. I just can't wear them and sit down at the same time...)

Life Quest:

Apply for those two jobs. (June). Kick ass and then continue search and chats and interviews throughout July.

• Like 1

Ah no! That sucks! I hurt my shoulder last year as well! I hope it's quick to heal! Be careful with it, I know it's tough being injured but it'll heal before you know it :D

Eeeeehhhhkkkk. Birthday week. My own, and my kid's. So plenty to be grateful for, but not much in terms of BBWW. Last week I missed one; this week, all of them. I try to be better about my posture, which does seem to help with the pain in the shoulder. Basically, I lean forward like an old lady, and I am in the shrugging position as soon as I feel stressed or tired. I also ate non-paleo, that is: alcohol and cake. At first, I didn't feel much, but after a week of it... good grief, I feel I've been fed straw. The digestive system just feels uncomfortable.

As for other goals, I'm applying for a big job (deadline this Sunday, June 22), I'm networking (telling whoever wants to hear it that I'm looking for a job), thinking hard about what I want to do (gardening? Program management? Teaching?), and who I want to work with (I don't work well with jerks). 

Healthwise: a battery of tests were run this week, my next stop is at the immunologist. More test results coming in next week. Hopefully I get to the bottom of things before we head out for our big vacation on Aug 8.

I need to think more about my HBP. Things were going well in the last challenge, I need to stick with it, even if progress is slow! I like eating paleo, so that's a solid base.

Happy Birthday!

Even if it means you did not eat and exercise as well as you would like, I still hope you had a fun time celebrating.

Is it just your shoulder hurting, or do you have more systemic problems? Going to the immunologist seems to suggest something more systemic. I hope someone can give you some answers soon! It stinks to not know why your body is not working properly.

Good luck with the job application!

Happy Birthday!

Even if it means you did not eat and exercise as well as you would like, I still hope you had a fun time celebrating.

Is it just your shoulder hurting, or do you have more systemic problems? Going to the immunologist seems to suggest something more systemic. I hope someone can give you some answers soon! It stinks to not know why your body is not working properly.

Good luck with the job application!

Thanks! Camping and grilling fish and drinking, with a few friends, such a chill time.

Both shoulder and... ? Who knows. Endocrinologist found everything in order, OB Gyn also. I saw a dermatologist who told me I probably eat way too much acidic food, and gave me a few examples (strawberries, alcohol, coffee, sugar, etc). I stopped drinking coffee (easy-peasy, turns out I'm not at all addicted to the stuff), but keep on drinking tea. Anyways, I feel that what you eat affects your entire being so much, so I actually listened to her, ditched the coffee and the strawberries, and did some research on acidic foods on the web... Only to find A LOT of contradicting information. So I think it might be bogus. We'll see what the immunologist concludes from my blood test results, I looked at them, but I don't understand them, apart for the TSH levels. Systemic is probably right. I'm ALWAYS tired (two kids aged 3 and 1,5) and I have terrible, painful acne.

Thanks! Camping and grilling fish and drinking, with a few friends, such a chill time.

Both shoulder and... ? Who knows. Endocrinologist found everything in order, OB Gyn also. I saw a dermatologist who told me I probably eat way too much acidic food, and gave me a few examples (strawberries, alcohol, coffee, sugar, etc). I stopped drinking coffee (easy-peasy, turns out I'm not at all addicted to the stuff), but keep on drinking tea. Anyways, I feel that what you eat affects your entire being so much, so I actually listened to her, ditched the coffee and the strawberries, and did some research on acidic foods on the web... Only to find A LOT of contradicting information. So I think it might be bogus. We'll see what the immunologist concludes from my blood test results, I looked at them, but I don't understand them, apart for the TSH levels. Systemic is probably right. I'm ALWAYS tired (two kids aged 3 and 1,5) and I have terrible, painful acne.

How frustrating! I can see why you went to the endocrinologist - it definitely does sound like some kind of hormone balance could be the issue. I am currently in the recovery process from some hormone issues myself, but nothing was ever officially diagnosed in my hormone levels, just an ovarian cyst. Unfortunately, I have found that conventional medical doctors do not understand sub-optimal functioning, only clinical diagnoses. I actually had a friend who was once told by her doctor, "Well, your levels of _____ functioning are low, but until it gets bad enough that it fits a disease description and I can prescribe a drug, I can't do anything to help you." Frustrates the heck out of me, because the time to make adjustments to how the body is functioning is those early warning signs. *sigh*

I have had fatigue and acne, though not painful. The acne seemed to have a lot to do with eating foods I was allergic to, though it has even improved from there as my hormone balance is improving. I still get the fatigue sometimes, especially when I get stressed, though it is a TON better than it used to be. I can function on less than 8 hours of sleep for a few nights in a row now, instead of being almost incapacitated by a single night of bad sleep. Just a few months ago things were much worse. Frequently irritable, often tired (most of the time), not digesting fats well, tons of gas and bloating, lower pelvic pain after having any caffeine, chocolate, soy or dairy. All my bloodwork done by my doctor in late February came back "normal," but I did not feel normal. They did find the ovarian cyst with an ultrasound, but the only options they offered were to do nothing or take birth control pills. No thank you.

I have essentially had to self-diagnose and self-treat using lifestyle and natural health (vitamins, herbs, homeopathics, etc). Definitely not my preference, but naturopaths in this area are not allowed to practice in a way that would help enough, and you have to find a good one that really knows what they are doing for excellent results. So I hit the 'net.  Internet searches seemed to point to estrogen dominance, some adrenal fatigue, and a declining ability for my gallbladder to digest fats because of eating a diet too low in fat. It was not easy to put together a plan from what I found, but it seems to be helping. :)

Hmmm. I am not sure that was actually helpful. I guess what I am trying to say, is that even though the doctors don't have an answer yet does not mean that there is no answer. There is one - you just need to have enough persistence to either find the right doctor or natural health practitioner, or to find the answer yourself. Keep up hope!

• Like 2

Thanks!! That's really interesting, good food for thought. Tomorrow, I go see the immuniologist, I'll see what he or she says. I do know a good omeopath here, but I'm worried that if I tell her I've gone paleo, she'll flip (she's the kind who tells you what she really feels, and the trouble is, I'm usually convinced by her strong opinions...)

In the meantime, this week I've done two BBWW, which is exactly double from last week. AND I said no thank you to the cake this morning. Today I'm celebrating even the smallest victories:)

• Like 1

Week 3? 4?

I did 3 BBWW, 3 sets each! The pushups are against a wall, but I’m feeling the warmth of exercise in my left shoulder, and I know it’s enough. Baby steps. On top of that, I’ve been correcting my posture about 500 times a day, and that seems to help also. I kind of feel like I’m pushing my boobs out, but I checked in the mirror, I look normal. It’ll just take some getting used to.

I haven’t been so great about sticking to Paleo this week. I think, now that I’ve been doing it for some time, when I stray, it’s harder to get back into it. I did go for a week of cakes and alcohol… Yesterday I again had cake, and beer and wine, good grief did I feel awful. Not hungover awful, but bloated and digestive issues I don’t think anyone wants to hear the details about. I’m amazed at how bad I feel when I eat food I haven’t prepared (i.e., restaurants): who knows what oil was used? Was the tablespoon of rice I just ate the cheapest white rice out there (it sure tasted like it)? What about the meat? And WHERE are the vegetables?... The problem is, we’ll be away on vacation in a month, for a month. I’ll have to plan, very much plan.

On the health front, I got yet another blood test done, this time by the immuniologist. (probably the 5th blood test this year). Results come in on Thursday.

I did a phone interview this Thursday for a job I’m really psyched about! It seemed it all went fine! But I haven’t heard from them since, al`though they said they’d bring in the finalists on Friday. That made me feel pretty bad all day on Friday. Tomorrow I have another interview for a far less interesting job. Hey, but two job interviews in a week is a PR.

Aaaahhhh. And Mexico lost. Sucks.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that you had digestive issues after eating out. We rarely eat out because it is such a challenge for us (many food allergies), but I do need to learn how because of my Top Secret Mission later this year. :) Good luck on your eating during your vacation. Maybe a bit of advance planning will help?

So awesome that you did 3 sets of BBWW! Hooray! And congrats on having 2 job interviews. I hope you get a job you enjoy. :)

Yeah, so... The internet at home went down. It's actually the neighbour's. Three weeks later, here we are. Or is it two weeks later?

Week 1: 3 BBWW - kicked ass.

Week 2: nothing - felt pretty bad. Exhausted.

Week 3: nothing - too busy preparing the current vacation.

Not doing great on Paleo. I think not getting the big job I wanted hit me harder than I realized, and somehow caused stress that lead me to become really exhausted. I mean, I'd wake up, get the kids ready, the babysitter would come at 9am, I would send them off to the park and go back to sleep for a couple of hours. Exhausted. Irritable. I hate to write more because it sounds like so much whining.

The past week I got ready for this vacation, and now we are chilling near a lake in Austria--not too shabby. I think I really needed a break away from home, even if it means that I don't control the food. At least I'll finally try paddle boarding. 

In fact, right now, I think I'll sign off and take a nap. Tonight, after SmallCarfuffle goes to sleep I will try to squeeze in a BBWW, some paddle boarding... Just chill.

Sounds like you really needed the break. Relax, enjoy, and be present. As long as you are still here, you can reset/respawn a challenge. ;)

• Like 1

Well, I literally closed the computer and slept, then the husband took the Little Carfuffle to the lake, so I had time to do a BBWW in the hotel gym. The next day I did do some paddle boarding, it's harder than it looks.

The following week I did almost 3 complete BBWWs. 

It's clear that loosing internet connection at home threw me off the rails on this challenge. Also the teething of the Smallest Carfuffle, at night. I didn't stick to paleo, much too much sugar and chocolate. I lost track of time, so much so I didn't even realize that a new challenge started 4 days ago. A swift kick in the butt, that's what I need.

I'm going to spend tonight and tomorrow night back to the drawing board, think what i need to get motivated, or do things completely differently... I'll read up other Assassins' challenges to get inspired! :) We are travelling starting next week, for 3 weeks. I was hoping to be Heidi Klum-sized by then, back in January, but hey. Respawn the challenge, exactly.

• Like 1

Yeah, so... this challenge totally fizzled out. Between the prep to go on vacation, then the actual 3 week vacation... Challenge just didn't happen. However, due to recurring food poisoning over those three weeks, I actually lost between 3 and 5 kg, and came back to the pleasant surprise that I fit nicely in the Intermediary Blue Pants (those that are just a little looser than the Blue Pants that are my real goal). Of course, food poisoning meant I basically ate only rice, bananas, sometimes toast, and apple sauce. Certainly no alcohol. But also, that meant no energy for exercising, which wasn't good. But the end result gave me a lot of courage for the rest of the year, as in: I can get in control of the food I eat, and I can go below 65kg, and finally fit in those Blue Pants.

Link to the Sept 15 challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/54276-bluecarfuffle-paleo-focus/