What's your own personal motto

Not surprisingly... Buck the Tide. 

I had a job in high school as a deckhand in the San Juan Islands. Just like life, sometimes the tide is with you, and you're rip-roaring along. When the tide is against you and you have your sights on your destination, you're in for a wild ride. It's fun and sometimes a little scary. It just reminds me that I don't have to "go with the flow," and that I can handle it. Eventually, the tide will change!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

My personal mantra:  Suffering makes champions.

It's a very succinct paraphrase of a Muhammad Ali quote:  "I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'"

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

I've always been drawn to any quote about "boldness."

"Fortune favors the bold."

"Who Dares, Wins."

"Freedom lies in being bold."

I think about one of the above whenever I'm nervous about something, and it usually gives me the pep it takes to at least start whatever it is I'm worried about.  The follow-through is mine though.

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

My personal mantra:  Suffering makes champions.

It's a very succinct paraphrase of a Muhammad Ali quote:  "I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'"

I have that quote and the picture of him standing over Liston as the lock-screen on my phone.

I have so many!

"if it were easy, everyone would do it!" and "pain is weakness leaving the body" - picked both of those up freshman year of high school in njrotc.

"Let no man pull you down low enough to hate him" - I have to remind myself this daily.

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" - favorite Ali quote ever.

"Be water" - taken from Bruce Lee's 'Water' quote, to remind myself to be ever changing and adapting, no matter the situation.

and finally "The sky is the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now dance."

My Epic Quest

Follow me on Duolingo

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, and wear glasses if you need 'em!"

With apologies to Webb Wilder.

Working out regularly since November 2014.  Scoliosis with 100 degree curve in lower back reduces height from 6-4 to 6-1.  245 pounds

Working weights in pounds (7-10 reps)

Overhead press . 80

Bench press. . . 135

Squats . . . . . 185

Deadlift . . . . 295 (x5)

Lat pulldown . . 160

I have two that i would like too share. Both are about change and being in a constant state of improvement. The first is from my favorite poet ever Andrea Gibson.

“I am living today as someone I had not yet become yesterday

And tonight I'll only borrow pieces of who I am today
To carry with me to tomorrowâ€

and the second i cant remember where i picked this up i believe i overheard it somewhere.

"What defines you?

Nothing; A definition excludes the possibility for change."

Arkarian

Half-Elf | Lvl 0 | Aspiring Druid

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Challenges: 1

What defines you? Nothing; a definition excludes the possibility of change.

I'm big on this old classic:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

We waste a ridiculous amount of time and energy being mad about limitations in our lives. If we can accept where we are now is what it is and work from within those limitations to live as best we can, well, that's where the road to happiness nad fulfillment is. 

Lv 0 Leandran Ranger

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0| WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Current Challenge: Surakha Rises: The hunt for Ebon

I have so many!

"if it were easy, everyone would do it!" and "pain is weakness leaving the body" - picked both of those up freshman year of high school in njrotc.

"Let no man pull you down low enough to hate him" - I have to remind myself this daily.

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" - favorite Ali quote ever.

"Be water" - taken from Bruce Lee's 'Water' quote, to remind myself to be ever changing and adapting, no matter the situation.

and finally "The sky is the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now dance."

My response to your last one for the past year or so has been:

Don't tell my the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

Also:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

309df3aa658d9c52e08956c2ce1440f3.jpg

A girlfriend once made a reference to my being her Knight in Shining Armor.

I said, "No, I'm no knight.  But I'll be your Viking in tattered chainmail."  And that has been part of my philosophy ever since.

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

“HUMAN BEINGS MAKE LIFE SO INTERESTING. DO YOU KNOW, THAT IN A UNIVERSE SO FULL OF WONDERS, THEY HAVE MANAGED TO INVENT BOREDOM." - Death, The Hogfather - Terry Pratchett

Live life to not be bored. There is so much I want to, and can, do. Why waste time?

“Sometimes glass glitters more than diamonds because it has more to prove.†- Terry Pratchett

I might not be the best, but dammit, I'll try.

My life is a series of Terry Pratchett inspired movements.

22ee761f22ef8d49351ccaed9d6e8e74.jpg

• Like 1

Level 5 Daemon Assassin

Strength - 8.4 | Dexterity  - 6.3 | Stamina  - 7.4 | Constitution  - 7 | Wisdom - 8.5 | Charisma - 7.2

Champion of House Targaryen

Current Challenge

1 | 2 | 3 | 4

"Sometimes glass glitters more than diamonds because it has more to prove."

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom."
- Terry Pratchett

I have a few:

Since a proper motto ought to be in Latin:  Illegitimus non carborundum est.  Translation: don't let the bastards wear you down.

No gentleman would insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me (Frederick Douglass)

It's not the years, it's the miles (Indiana Jones)

Do.  Or do not.  There is no try.  (Yoda)

What we do in this life echos in Eternity (The Gladiator)

"I live for myself and I answer to nobody" (Steve McQueen)

"There is nothing to fear but fear itself" (Franklin D. Roosevelt)

"Have a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing" (Wayne Dyer)

Ranger/Assassin Level 2

Strength: 4 | Dexterity: 1 | Stamina: 3 | Constitution: Wisdom: Charisma: 1

Paleo | Body weight workout | Weighlifting

Intro | Previous 6 Weeks Challenge | Current 6 Weeks Challenge

Starting weight: 180lbs

Current weight: 156.5lbs

Goal: +/- 140 lbs

There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

I'm a big Henry Rollins fan so mine is "It's hero time". Cheesy? Yes. Does it work? Yes. 

• Like 1

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

I'm a big Henry Rollins fan so mine is "It's hero time". Cheesy? Yes. Does it work? Yes. 

Most fitness enthusiast who like Henry Rollins just quote 'the iron'. I appreciate your broader approach. 

Dwarf Warrior

My motto's just one word, but it holds a lot of weight for me.

It's a word that I connect with the last chapter in a wonderful book I read. In that chapter, the protagonists had just left a dying, corrupt world and entered the foothills of Paradise. They met a friend who urged them not to stay in those foothills, beautiful though they were. Instead, this friend encouraged them to run deeper in and farther upwards. As the protagonists ran apace with their friend, they discovered that the farther upwards and inwards they ran, the more beautiful, expansive, and the more real Paradise became. The friend's rallying cry was "Farther up and farther in!"

It's a word that describes my determination to always be improving myself. To dispel my own complacency. To reject the lie that I don't need change. To turn my back on the pressure to be ok with myself as-is, and to always find ways to be kinder, healthier, better-educated, and smarter. Always pushing forward. Never standing still, or moving backwards. If I'm forced backwards, then dusting myself off and moving forward again.

It's a word I use because "Excelsior" was taken. (Dangit, Stan Lee.)

My motto is simply this: Onward.

When people first meet me, they think I'm a grouchy, cantankerous, anti-social old bastard.  Once they get to know me, they realize they were mistaken.  My parents were married.

• Like 1

And since I used these in my challenge thread, I had to include them here.

The difficult we do immediately.  The impossible takes a little longer.

Yesterday we did the possible, today the impossible.  If you want miracles come back tomorrow.