• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

vengefulpear

Vengefulpear Wants to be a Ninja (Mutant Turtle)

0034.gif

It's time to be an Assassin again!

I am back and 99.23% recovered from all my ailments! So I'm ready to work my way up back to tip-top-assassin-shape! This means that this challenge my main focus and big ol' quest is to 

Goal 1: Muscles of a Ninja Warrior! +3 STR +1 DEX

I haven't done a lot of strength training since I tore my shoulder so I'd like to start with 2 strength circuits per week and work that up to 3. And as a nice bonus I would like to be able to do a full set of full push ups and a full pull up by the end of the challenge. I'm not sure where I am at the moment, but I am going to be careful to work up to the full circuits so I don't worsen the injury as it's taken sooo long to get better!

Goal 2: With the Speed of a Turtle! +2 DEX +2 STA

Everyone knows ninjas and assassins are quick, Ninja Turtles are even faster! I've let my running go slightly these last few weeks due to illness and such but I'm back and booming! And I have a half marathon in a few months so I want to make sure I'm as ready for that as I can be! This goal is to run 3 times per week and bonus points for working my way up from the normal 5km runs I'm doing at the moment to doing a normal and 'easy' 10km run!

Goal 3: Pizza, Pizza! PIZZA! +2 CON +1 WIS +1 CHA

giphy.gif

Okay, not pizza... Eating right! So the ever present calorie PVP is here, and as ever if anyone wants to join in please do! This time my goal is to eat at about 1900 calories per day, and I do want to try and keep myself as paleo as possible as I do find that gluten and breads makes me feel bloated. Success here will be measured on how close I am each week to the average calorie count, bonus points for paleo. 

Goal 4: Words and Scribbles +2 WIS +1 CHA

For my life goal I'm going to try and keep writing. For now I'm going to say that I have to meet my weekly target for the amount of words that I write, which goes up by 100 every week (slow and steady right :tongue: ). With week one my goal is 2400 words for the week, week 2 will be 2500 and so on. This tends to be either really easy or rather difficult as I only count the words I write for the novel I'm working on and not short stories, or mini-challenges, and I tend to either have a splurge of writing on it or wind up busy and distracted. So here's to consistency!
Bonus points for this goal is to work through The Ode Less Travelled which is a book on poetry by Stephen Fry and to try a different form of poetry every week. 

Side Quest: The Cowabunga Factor! 

Make sure you're having fun! This sounds like a no-brainer, and it is! But I think that it can be easy to do the same things over and over and over again because you know, that's what you do! But if you're not enjoying it, what's the point!? We're all here to get fit and have fun doing it, and I want to make sure that my motivation doesn't flop around like a wet fish looking for yesterday's newspaper. No one wants that. I usually get that kick out of being able to do something I couldn't do last week, and there's a bouldering gym that just opened near my work so I might check that out too! And if I'm feeling super adventurous, maybe checking out fencing again, or historical fencing. We'll see!

And if I achieve my bonus goals I might treat myself to some more RAM and a new graphics card! 

That's about it for now! I need to get to bed now, but I'll do a sweep of everyone's challenge tomorrow and say hi to as many people as I can :D

47a.gif

• Like 5

So good to see you back! (Not that you've really been gone.) Love the goals and LOVE the theme. Ninja Turtles were a favorite growing up (what what, Donatello!). Really glad, too, that it sounds like you are finally back to being able to do some strength training! You are going to own this challenge.

Also, there's something about the way those animators animated their pizza that always made it look mouth-wateringly good! I think it's how they draw the cheese. :)

Great challenge, I'll follow you around :). I wanted to say that home-made pizza is not that bad for you, until I saw you wanting to eat paleo... I'll think of something pizza-y that's also paleo ;).

So good to see you back! (Not that you've really been gone.) Love the goals and LOVE the theme. Ninja Turtles were a favorite growing up (what what, Donatello!). Really glad, too, that it sounds like you are finally back to being able to do some strength training! You are going to own this challenge.

Also, there's something about the way those animators animated their pizza that always made it look mouth-wateringly good! I think it's how they draw the cheese. :)

Thanks :D I watched the first episode of the Ninja Turtles the other day (in preparation for the challenge of course) and they all sneaked into a pizza place and three of them ordered whipped creme pizzas! I didn't know they were a thing! But then they are turtles.... and then on the other hand I'm sure I saw a creme pizza on the menu when I was in Rome....

Great challenge, I'll follow you around :). I wanted to say that home-made pizza is not that bad for you, until I saw you wanting to eat paleo... I'll think of something pizza-y that's also paleo ;).

Thanks it's always nice to be followed :P And thank you! I think I have been shown a pizza recipe before that was made with chicken for the base so that might be something to look into 

• Like 1

Quick update for day one and two (I keep thinking it's day one because I had monday off work on holiday :P

Yesterday I did a nice 5km run but my feet hurt and today my legs were a bit sore and my knee felt a bit odd. So I took it a bit easier today and did a quick warm up run and then did a strength workout consisting of...

3x10 Lateral Raises @ 1kg each side

3 x 10 Squats

3 x 10 Wall Push Ups

3 x 30 second Planks

So I figure I'll see how my body feels tomorrow after that and then do another workout with the same. If after both of those I feel fine with it, I will upgrade each exercise when I reach 3x10 sets (as I have done there :P ) Oh! And will try adding in pull ups (or what I can manage :P ) when I upgrade too, but perhaps only at one rep. 

We shall see :) 

• Like 2

DUDE.....

giphy.gif

I love Ninja Turtles (Raphael all the way!) and I'm loving this challenge.  Good luck with your goals. I'm trying to keep it paleo too but I will miss pizza! Build up that shoulder and don't overwork it. Slow and steady......turtle wisdom.

giphy.gif

COWABUNGA!!!

Thanks :D I watched the first episode of the Ninja Turtles the other day (in preparation for the challenge of course) and they all sneaked into a pizza place and three of them ordered whipped creme pizzas! I didn't know they were a thing! But then they are turtles.... and then on the other hand I'm sure I saw a creme pizza on the menu when I was in Rome....

I always loved the creative toppings they went with on their pizzas. One of the most memorable for me was probably peanut butter and jelly pizza.

Great work on your workout. I applaud you for listening to your body and not overdoing it. Keep it up! :D

I can´t resist following another Ninja! Really like your goals, especially the Cowabunga one, you're so right, the important thing is to have fun!

Sub´d.

BTW, Michaelagelo is my favourite, nun chucks are awesome! 

Aah! D: Now I have to do at least as many as that baby :P 

Update for today: I went for a 5km run which was a lot better than Monday's, i felt a little bit off with it about 2/3 of the way through but pushed past it and felt a lot better by the end!

• Like 1

I can´t resist following another Ninja! Really like your goals, especially the Cowabunga one, you're so right, the important thing is to have fun!

Sub´d.

BTW, Michaelagelo is my favourite, nun chucks are awesome! 

Huzzah! :D Well Team Ninja is clearly the best one! I'm glad to have you along for the Ninja-Ride :D Yeah I thought that it was a good side goal :P Last challenge my motivation slipped a bit so i don't want to be just doing some fitness drudgery! :D 

Update for Week 1! 

Goal 1: Muscles of a Ninja Warrior! - A

I wanted to start with 2 strength circuits this week, and I did! Huzzah! I did another strength circuit on Saturday so along with the one from Tuesday that's meeting my goal so far :) As for working my way up to three, in between the two I did feel quite sore so I thought I'd leave it rather than push it too hard, but now after my second strength workout I feel great, no sore spots at all (nearly :P)! Which is a massive win, and I even levelled up some of the exercises. I went from 1kg on the weights for my shoulders up to 2.5kg on each dumbbell, I went from wall push ups to incline push ups and I also did one pull up per circuit. So all in all quite awesome really! I wasn't expecting to be able to do a pull up so win there :) 

Goal 2: With the Speed of a Turtle! - A

Another success! The goal was to run 3 times per week and I believe I have done that! I went for another run on Sunday and upped it from the 5km normal run I go on (Instead of turning around at the church in the village just outside my town I just kept going along the road, I also realise that sounds crazyily English countryside :P ) I ended up being out for about 5.5 miles. So if I can make that slightly longer and then my normal run I'll be pretty happy as that should come out to just under 10km. 

Goal 3: Pizza, Pizza! PIZZA! - B-

This goal was less of a success, I went out a bit at the weekend and had some beers with some friends. I don't regret that so much as it's always fun and I like ale! But I did go over my intended calorie goal every day this week, which wasn't terrible as it averaged out to about 2,000 calories which was only 100 calories over my goal. But still. So what am I going to do about this? Be more fastidious about counting my calories. 

I think part of it is that I'm not unhappy with how I am at the moment but I'd like to be better. I'm quite content being the weight I am at the moment, but I would be psyched if I had a lower bodyfat% and was a lot stronger. So I'm going to read Steve's article about 'Good Enough' and try and watch some Ninja Warrior to keep myself motivated to be the best Ninja Turtle I can! 

Goal 4: Words and Scribbles - B-

Less success! I wasn't terribly far off though. My writing goal on my main story this week was 2400 words but I only got to 1950 so definitely not a win there, and I'm calling that a C because it would have been easy enough to sit down and write some more but to be honest I finally got round to getting rid of some corrupt windows files and got Smite working so I played that... I know. But this is Nerd fitness right? :P But Bonus Points I did work on a poem on the train home one day, so the grade was originally going to be a C gets bumped up to a B-!

That's not so bad for a first week :) Writing it out has helped as I wasn't feeling great (mainly because calories and writing) about it, so yay :D

• Like 3

Good first week!  I think a few beers with friends is a necessary part of life.  That's why I can never be strictly paleo.

Glad to hear your shoulder is feeling good.  Great job with the rehab, keep it up!

A solid start to your challenge, bud! Good work!

I wonder if goal 3 would be more attainable, though, if you gave yourself a range to hit again, rather than saying "I want to hit around 1900." You would then be able to give yourself a little more grace. Be assured, though, that you are doing great! 1-200 above the number your trying to hit, as a weekly average, is still really good! :)

*pounce* Hi Pear! :D Love the theme and the goals, and way to go on coming out of this injury, you're doing great.  Turtle Power!!

Hi! :D Thanks! The injury is getting smaller and smaller and I'm getting more and more psyched to train properly again!

Turtle Power!

giphy.gif

Good first week!  I think a few beers with friends is a necessary part of life.  That's why I can never be strictly paleo.

Glad to hear your shoulder is feeling good.  Great job with the rehab, keep it up!

Thanks! Yeah me too, and one of my friends runs a brewery with his dad so we're definitely an ale group of friends, and it doesn't help that his ales are really good! (And I'm not just saying that :P )

Great first week and awesome work with the pull-ups; it really sounds like you're past your injury now.

Thank you :) I think I am so close now, I think maybe 97.64% done now, so I'm just going to keep moving very very steadily forward and I'm sure I'll have completely forgotten about the problem before I know it :P 

A solid start to your challenge, bud! Good work!

I wonder if goal 3 would be more attainable, though, if you gave yourself a range to hit again, rather than saying "I want to hit around 1900." You would then be able to give yourself a little more grace. Be assured, though, that you are doing great! 1-200 above the number your trying to hit, as a weekly average, is still really good! :)

You might be right, and then it would be a yes/no rather than "well I was close" because let's face it I'm never going to get spot on 1900 :P You have convinced me good sir! I shall change it to 1800-1950 I think, especially as I'm going to up my running :) Thanks again :D

• Like 1

tumblr_m1adrfsxgg1rso7exo1_400.gif

Well thanks to everyone's kind words and how today went I'm even more excited for training!

As I was coming home from work all the trains were cancelled at the station I get home from (only one of many from London) and asking one of the staff they suggested that I wait as things were about to get moving, rather than get the tube to another station and get a train in about half an hour to forty minutes tops. So then 40 minutes later at that station I decide the woman was being a bit optimistic and head to the other station putting me about an hour and a bit behind. BUT! Here's the good bit! I was tempted to have something sweet from a shop as recompense for the trains, but I went with a diet coke instead, which isn't perfectly amazingly wonderful, but a 2calorie bottle of coke is a hell of a lot better than a 200 calorie chocolate bar I figure! 

So I was quite pleased that I didn't splurge calorie wise and it really meant I was well in with calories today, and that's sparked a new enthusiasm :D Huzzah! Right, bed time now methinks! :D

• Like 3

Great first week fellow Ninja! As for motivation, Ninja Warrior is truly great :)

Also like your honesty regarding the writing. It´s pretty easy to say that you were´t inspired and therefore didn´t write more.

Keep up the momentum!

Trains can be a bit of a pain in the patella, especially around London.  The SO and I avoid it if at all possible (his general stance is "F*ck you, London") but we managed to get in and out for a Black Stone Cherry concert a few months back without too much issue.

Good job making healthier choices! It's always so hard to resist sweets sometimes. especially when your day isn't going to well.

Great first week fellow Ninja! As for motivation, Ninja Warrior is truly great :)

Ninja Warrior is the best!  Mount Midoriyama is great inspiration