• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

dancezwithkittehz

Dancezwithkittehz goes the distance

My last challenge was dance focused. This time I am in a place in my life where I need to go places (literally and figuratively) and get unstuck.

I love my coworkers, but I have been bored and feeling unchallenged in my job for quite sometime. I've known that I wanted to move on, but didn't know what I wanted to move onto. I was waiting to see if I might be moving with my then boyfriend. I don't regret for a second hesitating to make the choice to work hard on a relationship I thought was going somewhere, but it didn't go somewhere. I was left wondering what on earth do I do with myself?!

I am sick of being bored in my job, feeling complacent and like I am just clinging to excuses to not move on to a job I feel excited about. I've mostly made it through the grieving process of what was, and am finally DOING things and taking the steps to make myself happy, and figure out new goals and motivations for myself. I've realized I do really want to relocate and go it alone in my own place away from my family for a while, and that it wasn't just that I wanted to follow my ex. This challenge I am focusing on things to move on to what I want, and also ways to make me happy and cope with grieving and change.

Goals:

1. Dancezwithkittehz is strong: Strength (and agility) train at least 3 times per week. (aerial dance, bodyweight strength training, etc.)

2. Dancezwithkittehz loves nature: Get outdoors and do SOMETHING at least 3 times per week (hiking, walking, swimming, hooping/dancing outdoors, anything!)

3. The ninja stretches herself: Find a job I am excited about and challenged by in the area where I want to relocate. Apply to at least one job a week.

I'm still trying to decide if I want an additional life goal on top of this. Brainstorm brainstorm!

• Like 1

Day 1, June 9th:

1. Last night I had aerial dance class (strength day/ 1 out of goal of 3 for the week)

I am finally making real progress!:

• I can now climb four steps up the silks in classic climb (it took me two months to get past 1, but I seem to be gaining an extra step every few weeks now.)
  • I can do a pullover sequence on the hammock without a spot

2. I found a job I'd love to apply for for this week. Now to get together a targeted cover letter and resume! (Goal of one application per week - Once I get this submitted I'll be good to go for this week!)

Day 2, June 10th:

1. I went for a walk outside at lunch (1 out of goal of 3 outdoor activities)

• Like 1

Day 3, June 11th:

1. Applied to that job, goal 3 done for the week!

2. Went for a little nature walk this evening (2 out of 3 "do something outside" for the week)

3. I did a short strength training workout:

•Inverted rows, 2 sets of 10 (regular and reversed grip)

•Dumbbell rows, 2 sets of 10 per side (5 lb weight)

•20 Shoulder shrugs from pull-up bar

• 10 legs up to tuck from pull up bar

•plank from exercise ball w/ 5 tucks and 5 pikes

• Like 1

Ooh another circus kitty! How did I miss this? No worries, I'm stalking now. ;)

Great start to the challenge and congrats on the silks climb progress! :D

Aerial dance is basically all the cool stuff you hang off including silks, and my gym also has hammocks, trapeze, lyra, and corde lisse but they don't bust that out very often.

I'm a beginner but I love it! I was a "ground dancer" as I like to call it before I started doing circus arts, so the dancing/making it look artsy and pretty part comes easiest to me.

Day 6, June 14:

1. Short 4 mile hike up and down a big hill. I'm going to count this as both a do something outside and as a strength day for my legs because yikes are my legs sooooore. I had planned to do an upper body workout when I got done but ended up being dragged off to a Johnny Cash festival thing. Not my scene but it was fun!

• Like 1

Day 8, June 15th

I was going to rest today, but just kidding! I decided to do a little back workout, short and sweet so it won't kill my muscles for aerial tomorrow. I also did a little bit of work on my handstand just for kicks:

1. Back workout:

DB rows, 5lb, 2 sets of 15 per side

20 Inverted rows on pull-up bar, 10 reverse grip

2. Work that handstand! I did wall handstands at an angle. I'm getting closer to the wall and able to hold for longer now. I'm at about 30 seconds now and I want to get it up to 60 before I move my arms in closer.

• Like 1

Week 2! Woohoo!

Monday:

Aerial class. Tonight we climbed the silks a bunch and worked on hammocks.

I finally figured out the sweet spot where I need the hammock for me to flip over in star and be able to stay there/ let go with my arms and just hang! I have to get it riiiight above my ample bootay but not let it slide up to the narrow part of my waist. Now that I know where to aim I just need to get it in muscle memory so I don't have to wiggle around awkwardly trying to find it every time. But yay!!! Hopefully less weird bruises on my waist this week!

When I started doing aerial I thought it would be arm/ upper body soreness that would slow things down but I am realizing it's SORE FINGERS OWWW. I think I had really weak grip strength before so it makes sense, but I could not climb a lot today because my fingers were cramping.

• Like 1

My background is lots of modern, jazz, and contemporary with a little bit of hip hop and a teeny bit of ballet!

Your dance background sounds like almost everything I'm interested in, plus your challenge is neat! I don't know how I didn't see you before. 

Hooray for less bruises! It's always exciting when you figure out new technique.

I'm glad you found the sweet spot! That must really improve the practice of other skills too, right? I can imagine you need a lot of grip strength pfff but if you were too tired to climb at least you gave your fingers a good workout!

My background is lots of modern, jazz, and contemporary with a little bit of hip hop and a teeny bit of ballet!

Cool!

The grip on silks is tough! Especially in the beginning when I at least tend to death grip the apparatus. :)

Week 2, Tuesday

Evening hike with the girls (1 out of 3 do something outdoors for the week!) We did about 4.75 miles, doubling the total length my newbie hiker friend has ever gone, so awesome new PR for her!! We lost track of time and barely made it off the hill before it was totally dark. I think that trail is even more beautiful as the sun goes down, and we saw a deer and some interesting squash growing along the side of the trail!

• Like 1

Ohh you're so lucky to spot a deer! I have spotted a deer too, once, while hiking. I keep on hoping I will see one again, someday it should happen again :D 

Gratz on your friend's PR! :D 

I didn't actually realize we have deer in this area, so it was a nice surprise! I guess maybe because I usually hike in the actual desert and this hike was less dry, more rolling hills and trees and stuff vs pokey desert plants!

Week 2, Wednesday

I applied for at least one job for the week! (And sent a follow up email on an application from a few weeks back.) I hope I hope I hope I get a call from someone for an interview soon. My big worry is people won't take me seriously that I am planning to relocate, so I'm making sure I specify my details that I can be available for an interview with only 24 hours' notice and that I will relocate myself within 2 weeks on my own dime if hired. I really really want to move to the Bay Area ASAP (or at least before our busy time of the year here at my current job.)

Week 2, Wednesday & Friday

Strength days. My reps were a little different each day but pretty much this both days:

2 sets of 20 incline push-ups,

2 sets of 10 inverted rows, 1 set 10 reverse grip inverted rows,

Plank on exercise ball :10 pikes, 10 tucks

One 30 second wall handstand

I'm also almost done applying for a second job for the week (whee overachiever!). I wanted to get in a little hike last night but game called on account of sinus headache. I'm just going to do an extra hike Sunday to make up for it!!!

• Like 1

Week 2, Saturday

1. Do something outdoors: I went for a little 6 mile hike with the girls first thing in the morning.

Then I went and bought a new car and asked the finance guy at the dealership out on a date. It was an eventful weekend!

Week 2, Sunday:

3. Do something outdoors: I went for a lovely walk on the beach with my mom. I love walking down in the wet sand. Yay beach!

I met all my goals for this week again. Yay! 

• Like 1

Great active weekend. I find it amusing that you call 6 miles a "little hike" How far do you usually go? I agree, walking on wet sand is great.

When I go by myself I try to go at least 10 to 12 miles. I'm trying to work up to doing at least a 15 miler once a week. One of my best friends recently started going with me and she can't go as far just yet. I am so so proud of her though she's gone from doing 1 mile to 6 miles in the course of a month!

And yes. Wet sand is bliss. With the waves and the sand all together It's so calming. (And it's good exercise!)

When I go by myself I try to go at least 10 to 12 miles. I'm trying to work up to doing at least a 15 miler once a week. One of my best friends recently started going with me and she can't go as far just yet. I am so so proud of her though she's gone from doing 1 mile to 6 miles in the course of a month!

And yes. Wet sand is bliss. With the waves and the sand all together It's so calming. (And it's good exercise!)

impressive. We go geocaching and hiking often, but usually only 3-5 miles. Went on a 11 mile hike, and my feet and legs were so tired afterward. But I'd like to do that more often

My feet are usually pretty dead by the end of a long hike! I also do minimalist shoes since I have super strong barefoot dancer feet that get confused by padding, and I swear after a long hike I can feel ever little tiny tendon in my toes and everything get sore. I love it though and feel like my ouchy feet are a badge of accomplishment. 

Do you have a GPS for geocaching? I think it sounds interesting but seems like you would need better GPS than just what comes standard on a cellphone?