Teddie Conquers the CHAOS

I have been doing very well with my diet/exercise/fitness portion of leveling up my life, and have been struggling to conquer my CHAOS. The declutter queen FlyLady defines CHAOS as: Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome, and I have it BAD. I have an 1100 square foot rancher-style house, a 3-year old, and too many hobbies. I ended up with a good amount of my childhood crap when my parents down-sized, and I'm tired of feeling like I'm drowning in my house. I have done very well getting rid of stuff every day (even if it's one thing), but I have to step it up, and now is the time to get things really moving. I'm going to flip-flop my priorities for these 6-weeks, and really work on a Life Quest, with my Diet and Fitness Quests being side quests.

BECOMING MORE MINIMALIST

• Part of my Level 100 "what does Teddie's life look like" goals is to live a clutter free life.
  • My friends are letting me sell stuff at their garage sale at the end of the month. Part 1 of this challenge will be spending the next 3 weeks getting everything I want to try to sell ready and over to their house. I must do something notable towards this goal every day for the next 3 weeks.
  • Identify and list higher-priced items online for sale. One item a week, minimum. Bonus if I list more than 6-items over the challenge.
  • Continue to focus on general decluttering, reorganization, and redecorating. One thing a day at least. Major strides can go towards both decluttering and the garage sale.

SIDE QUESTS
  • Diet Side Quest: Track food every day. Only exception will be any days without cell range when camping. Bonus for estimating ahead of time.
  • Fitness Side Quest: Work on mini-hoops 3x a week. Goal is to see if I can pick it up with 2-beat and 3-beat weaves.

MOTIVATION

• My home is not a container for my stuff, but rather a place for joy and connection.

PROGRESS

I'm not going to count specific points in my challenge this time around, I have a lot going on still and I don't give myself stat points anyhow. I am going to do a Pass or Fail on how the week went, and work on making significant progress on decluttering, and enjoying my hooping.

Week 1: Pass

Week 2: Pass

Week 3: Pass

• Like 3

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

I nearly missed your challenge! I don't have it as an official goal or anything, but I want to de-clutter as well. My big step is doing the amazon trade-in for books, which hurts my heart like crazy because I've always wanted to have one of those houses that's full of books, so it's something I've pushed off forever. I'll try and get inspired by your progress to finally sit on my ass and list those things :)

• Like 1

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

ApfelStrudi is out of control

Hey, another minimalism challenge! Awesome, I shall watch your progress with great interest!

Well hello! I would love to touch base with you and do this together. I am sick and damn tired of living this way, and after my hoarder parents unloaded all of their baggage (physical and emotional) on me, I realized I had to do something major to change. I'm not as bad as they are - yet - but I need to get this under control now. In the spirit of being forthcoming, my biggest problem areas are my Kitchen Counters, Study, and Garage. I've been working to get the other areas of my house under control, and I've had pretty good luck. I'm most concerned about the Kitchen, but I need the Garage to be clean in order to store actual useful items. I've made a huge hole in the Garage over the last two weeks, and I just need to keep going.

• Like 1

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

My first evening went pretty well. I got through a huge "good intention" box of baby clothes. I separated it into like-new items, needs to be soaked items, and non clothing items. I will soak what needs soaking tonight, and go through another box. I had planned on donating them, then I was going to give them to a friend of a friend, then I was going to sell them at a consignment store... I've had enough, they are going to the garage sale, and what doesn't sell is going to charity.

I need a staging area for my bigger garage sale items that are currently in the garage. They will be going in one of the rooms I have already mostly cleaned out, which is going to drive me nuts. But once it's all out of the house for the garage sale, I'm going to be be so happy!

I also set up a bookshelf for my daughter, and moved her books off of my entertainment stand. That gave me space to move her videos into the spot that the books had been on, instead of cluttering up another shelf. That looks so much better already I can hardly stand it.

• Like 3

I nearly missed your challenge! I don't have it as an official goal or anything, but I want to de-clutter as well. My big step is doing the amazon trade-in for books, which hurts my heart like crazy because I've always wanted to have one of those houses that's full of books, so it's something I've pushed off forever. I'll try and get inspired by your progress to finally sit on my ass and list those things :)

Hello, lovely!

I've already done the painful book thing, thankfully. Most of mine were nearly worthless to trade in, I have a fantasy romance novel problem (blush). I gave them all away. I found a few old ones that were worth a little money that I sold, but the majority of them went to other book-loving female friends. Text books were also sold, but I did allow myself to keep a few of my favorite design and reference books. I kept a few things for my daughter, like the Lord of the Rings series, but overall I just got rid of anything I knew I'd never touch again. It feels good. Damn good. I have one small box of books left to give away, my friend just forgot to take it with her over the weekend. I actually need to find a better home for the few remaining tomes, and then I'll reuse the bookshelf for displaying my husband's video games.

One of my coping mechanisms for my last few months of hell has been rescuing a puppy (squee). I've had her since Saturday. Unfortunately, said puppy has a thing for my shoes. I have a small area where all my shoes collect, and this gives me the perfect excuse to go through them this week. I got rid of a huge amount of shoes last year, and I've proven to myself that I didn't miss them a bit. So now it's time to pare down again, and organize the rest. I need to store my winter shoes vs my summer shoes, and weekend before last I made space in my closet to do such a thing. I just have to clear out the proper storage container for them from my garage (I have a few with old sheets I'm going to donate), and then that's another huge stress off my mind.

I had been putting off making this a major challenge focus, but the stress of my house has become too overwhelming. When looking for a puppy for the last few weeks, some of the rescue sites like to do a home inspection. The unnecessary anxiety that caused me was ridiculous. There are very few people I will let come into my house, and that's stupid. What if my husband goes back to work and I want to hire a dog walker for the puppy? It isn't even that bad, it's just my feelings about it that are annoying. It's clean, most of it is clear of clutter, it's just that my study and kitchen are visible from anywhere and their constant state of disarray is making me insane. I don't want to have to try to organize a bunch of stuff, I want the stuff gone.

Speaking of the new furbaby:

feade75b-e1db-4dff-9135-cdf05918ec32.jpg

They said she was a lab mastiff, but there's no way. I'm thinking a lab boxer. But she's a big adorable puddle of doggie love. My daughter named her Skully.

• Like 3

That's some good de-cluttering so far. If you haven't already, I seriously recommend checking out theminimalists.com. If you're ever feeling like your lacking motivation to ditch some stuff, they've got tons of great essays all about the benefits of removing excess from your life. If you want really serious motivation, you should read their most recent book- everything that remains. I shouldn't really be recommending you bring more material goods into your home so it's probably best if you buy the e-book version!

• Like 1

That's some good de-cluttering so far. If you haven't already, I seriously recommend checking out theminimalists.com. If you're ever feeling like your lacking motivation to ditch some stuff, they've got tons of great essays all about the benefits of removing excess from your life. If you want really serious motivation, you should read their most recent book- everything that remains. I shouldn't really be recommending you bring more material goods into your home so it's probably best if you buy the e-book version!

I've been a long time subscriber to TheMinimalists, ZenHabits, and Be More With Less. I have a pretty good understanding of what I need to do, and why I am the way I am. As my sister says, I come from a long line of hoarders. I will try to check out their new eBook, but I don't get a lot of time to read with a toddler and a puppy ;) I'm reading The Hoarder in You right now as I have time. Part of my struggle is my husband. But that's not a small issue that will resolve itself easily. He is horrible about not putting things back where they belong, and he uses my stuff as an excuse as why it doesn't happen. But I know darn well that even when my stuff is gone, he's still going to suck at putting things away. So we'll have to work through that.

I'm reading your thread and some of your links right now. There's definitely something soothing about knowing other people who are going along with the same tribulations as I am right now :) My biggest setback is "but what if I need it!?" I know darn well the items can be replaced, but anytime I need something that I haven't used in forever it strengthens my hoarder tendencies. Another issue for me is my weight loss. I keep things thinking they'll fit 'some day' or that I might wear them 'some time.' I do some cosplay and RennFest foolery, I am a hobby photographer, and my daughter LOVES to dress up. I've managed to get most of my costuming out of my closet and into chests, but I still need to reorganize the chests. There are a few things I'll have to allow myself to keep, and costuming is one of those things. But I made myself a promise that I would at least get it organized so I don't have to dig through it every time I am looking for something.

It's easier for me to get rid of work and street clothes, because I know by the time they fit again, they'll be out of style. I've even worked some on doing a Project 33 with my clothes, but it becomes too overwhelming for me. I hold a lot of memories in my clothes, and when I want to wear something very specific I get frustrated when I can't find it. I don't wear a suit right now at work, but what if I get a new job that requires one? I don't wear dressy dresses a lot, but what happens when I get invited to a wedding? I know my main issues revolve around my clothes, photographs and artwork. But I'm working on it. I've actually made a lot of strides in the last year, but I'm ready to make a bigger dent. I'm going to use my spring-time enthusiasm to see some serious progress.

• Like 1

I think one of the biggest obstacles is that 'what if' mentality- I know that I've kept hold of loads of useless stuff just in case I need it again in the future although I can't think of a single instance when I've actually needed any of it! In fact, on the odd occasion that I have needed something that I've kept hold of just in case, I've never been able to find it amongst all the rest of the crap so I've ended up buying a new one anyway!

And then, once I've finished with it, it gets chucked in a draw and forgotten about, usually only seen again when I'm digging through the draw for something else and then it's a hinderance.

It's the same situation with clothes. I now have 4 really nice winter coats, but I have my favourite that I always wear so the other 3 just sit in my closet taking up space. What a waste of space, money and decent clothing that somebody else could be using.

• Like 1

Last night was another good night. I got a second box of baby clothes sorted, and things from both boxes that needs to be soaked is in the washer. Between my toddler becoming fond of things IN the boxes, and the puppy trying to EAT the boxes, it was an interesting endeavor.

Tonight is another baby-box night, and I have a box for someone that needs to make it to my car. I'm seeing one of her coworkers tomorrow, and he said he'd take it to her. It's a long story, but another one of my good-intention endeavors. I'm glad I kept it for her, but I'll be even more glad to be rid of it.

I've had a bit of a stomach bug this week, and I've been feeling under the weather. I'm giving myself the week off of the gym, but I'm staying active with my walking. My knee is killing me all of a sudden, so I'm glad I am relaxing for a few days (I don't even HAVE knee problems). I'm even going out to lunch tomorrow, which is kind of a big deal for me. I have been a little on the obsessive/orthorexic side for the last year or so, and I'm really trying not to be so hard on myself when I can't make it to the gym ALL OF THE DAYS! Which is another reason why I'm switching my focus to my overall life and wellness for this challenge. There's a difficult balance for me between improving life and living life.

• Like 2

*************   This is a semi automatic message from your future ex robotic guild leader     ********************

Hello! I just noticed that you haven't submitted the Assassin sign-up form.

For those of you new to the guild - this form allow us to list all the members of the guild that use our sign-up sheet, it makes our work easier and allows you to be registered in the phonebook or eligible for the most wanted list! (Please note, this is not the general sign-up, this is an additional sign up for our guild only.)

If it's not done already, make sure to subscribe to the announcement thread to make sure you won't miss any events or informations.

*************   This was a semi automatic message from your future ex robotic guild leader ********************

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Two great nights and four boxes later, I have photo updates!

Ok, first off. Here are my new mini hoops! I went to Lowe's and realized I have a terrible sense of spacial math (blush). So, I purchased a 100' roll of 1/2" tubing for $14.95, enough connectors for several extra sets of hoops, and made myself some minis. I had a few issues with some new tape I tried, but that's why I'm trying things out. After working through the hiccups, I have HOOPS! (and toes)

57e12f14-4675-4b42-9d7f-d90ee64d2486_zps

I worked on a few basic drills Wednesday night. I did both hands in the same direction, both hands in opposite directions, and cross-body weaves, one hand at a time. I got some nice bruises, as I always do when I hoop on new body parts, and riled up both the puppy and the toddler. A grand time was had by all.

I am almost done with my first round of decluttering my daughter's room. I have one small load in the washer soaking, and the rest is boxed up thusly:

aa82f29b-8499-4d56-a056-ef6072381213_zps

So, that's pretty exciting. I've identified a bunch more in my head, and I need to start separating it from everything else. Old carseats, strollers, baby toys, etc. There aren't too many of these other items, but what I do have I need to go through. Most of her drawers are empty, and her storage chest is reorganized. The bookshelf behind the boxes is where all of her books ended up. Before they were stored in 3 different locations, including cluttering the TV stand. This piece of furniture had been cluttering up the study, because she liked to use it as a step ladder before I put the books on there. Solved two issues in one. I'll start going through her books more sometime, but for now I want her to have a wide selection of reading material while we're working on getting her to love reading.

I'm heading to our local Renaissance Festival tomorrow, and I will try to post some pics. It's nice to see so much progress the first week of the new challenge. When I feel like sinking into the couch, I remember I have goals to meet! There will be some couch sinking tonight, and whiskey, but I need to at least get the final load of laundry finishing, get some plush toys soaking, and find at least a small box in the garage to go through. I have giant open spaces in my garage and baby's room, and that's so awesome!

• Like 3

Love the mini's! And the cute puppy. They are a handful when they're young. He'll get better in a year or so. ^_^ At least mine did. She's improved a much but won't calm down until at least 4 or 5 years ago. I still love her.

I can't wait until I can go through and unpack all my stuff. Most of my random odds and ends are still in boxes from when I moved 2 years ago. ^_^ Haven't gone through it because I don't have the space to actually display/store any of it. My house is filled with my roommates stuff. So haven't found a reason to go through it, just to pack it up again. Oh well.

Can't wait to see your progress with the mini's. Also, excited to see photos from the Ren Faire. I enjoy going to them but have yet to dress in period clothes. I will...one day. :)

• Like 1

Major Respawn in Progress

Current

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 4.1 5 6

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

We had a great time at the RennFest on Saturday. My body still hates me for it. I ended up carrying my 36 lb kiddo up and down the hills a lot of the day. When I wasn't carrying her, I was chasing her around. My fitbit says we went 4.3 miles and climbed 13 flights of stairs. Those hills did a number on my feet and calves! But she had a great time. I forgot to upload my comparison photo last night, but I'll try to remember to do it tonight.

So I'll just do a weekly wrap-up, the weekend is all kind of blurring together for me. I have 7 boxes of cleaned, folded, visually inspected baby clothing for the garage sale. I went through a GIANT box from my garage on Friday night, and it was a doozey. I got a few things out of it for the sale, threw a lot away, and boxed up two small boxes of things to keep. One full of photos, the other full of old girl scout stuff to sell online at some point. I had a picture frame break in there, so there was some glass cleanup excitement, complete with the puppy involvement, but it freed up a huge space in my garage. I have a section for garage sale stuff, a section of things that still need to be gone through, and a section of things I need to figure out where to sell. It's old salt water fish tank stuff, and I don't think I'd get as much from the garage sale as I would online.

I spent some quality time with my mini hoops, and my arms show the proof of that for sure. My daughter has a hard time not getting in my way sometimes, so I had to be extra careful, and holy cow is my left arm uncoordinated. I have like half a weave going, with my right arm doing great, and my left arm flailing almost helplessly ;) I really need to work on that. I'm going to watch some more videos, I need to get the rhythm in my head and it'll go easier. I made progress, I don't want to sound like it was a total wash, but man is it an unnatural movement for me. I am getting better at keeping the hoops on a vertical plane and not having them teeter in all wonky like, but again my right arm is substantially better than my left at this. I am spending four days at my cabin this week, so I definitely hope to have time to get some outdoor practice in.

I'm not going to count specific points in my challenge this time around, I have a lot going on still and I don't give myself stat points anyhow. I am going to do a Pass or Fail on how the week went, and work on making significant progress on decluttering, and enjoy the hooping.

Week 1: Pass

• Like 3

Just in case anyone needs some mini-hoop-spiration... I'm just going to leave this here. I had goose bumps the entire time I watched this. SO MUCH THIS.

• Like 1

Lets see. Last night, I got some baby toys put back together and in the garage sale pile. I found some bibs and washclothes, and those were soaked and are now drying. We also moved some of the remaining stuff around in the garage to make it easier to get around in there. There's still a lot to be done, but it's a start. We have some other stuff going on that I'll post about next week, so I was all over the place all evening.

Tomorrow is my 2-year Nerd Fitness anniversary, so I'm going to do some official progress photos tonight. But here are some from the Renn Fest. This is 2011, 2012, 2013, and this weekend.

235f2d63-243f-4d24-8f63-74d0e74e11e9_zps

I have a foot issue that is bugging the heck out of me right now. Carrying my daughter around on Saturday did not do me any favors. I have it taped, but it still hurts like the dickens. So do my calves. So I'm going to hoop again tonight and call my two sessions my exercise for today. It isn't like the mini hoops don't do a number to your arms!! I need to give myself a few days to get my foot calmed down, or it will get worse and I'll be in rough shape.

I'm out of time for now, but wanted to make sure I got my fun picture up.

• Like 2

I had some time this morning, so I took out my mini hoops to practice some of the things I watched videos on last night. It went much better than it did the first time! I still have to get my weave up to speed, and my left arm still freaks out on occasion, but I think it's starting to click! Just simple spinning on my left hand is still difficult, but it's getting easier. I found this great little tutorial on a simple starting routine from Deane Love that is helping me immensely. This is a great little beginner sequence for minis, I work on inbetween fighting with my weaves:

• Like 1

Well, I just got back from 5 glorious days at my happy place. I had a wonderful time with some of my favorite people, and I got a nice break from technology. I got some good mini hooping practice in, and I'm pretty close to not being a spaz on most things. My weave is weaving, I just need to work on speeding it up now. I worked on cleaning/upgrading/decluttering my family's summer home, and introduced my daughter to my favorite mountain on earth. I ate too many carbs and I drank too much - but I stayed as active as I could, and lost 0.6 lbs for the week. I lose so slowly that I'll take it!

On Wednesday before we left I took all of the boxes of garage sale items to my friends house. I hope to get some more loaded in the car tonight so I'm all ready to take it over there Thursday after work. I cleaned all the photos off of an iPhone I'm going to sell, and I'm getting all of the accessories together so I can list it soon. My husband and I talked about several other large things we're going to sell, and I'll be listing an old fish tank on a local forum this week - I took photos of it last week so I'd have them handy. It's at my friends' house who is hosting the garage sale, so I'll let people know they can go look at it there.

I have to get going, but I'm calling this week a Pass. And a very enjoyable one at that.

3c45736f-3397-402d-b271-08688b0927e2_zps

• Like 2

You progress pictures are amazing! You're a huge inspiration, lovely! You're absolutely gorgeous and you've been working so hard! You rock! ^_^ You're one of my new heroes! 

I love all the hoopy goodness you've been posting. :) You've made me want to go practice tonight! I have to go try to make room in the yard here now! I can't wait to see what you accomplish this challenge! 

• Like 1

"No power in the 'verse can stop me."

Current Challenge: Stooshie is a Leaf on the Wind

Past Challenges: The road goes ever, ever on!

The last few days have gone well. I have all but a few things loaded into my car for garage sale drop off tonight! I've been practicing my hooping every day, even if it's only for a few minutes. My weave is a little faster, and my grip is getting looser and more confident. I keep reminding myself that building new neural pathways is uncomfortable and challenging, but it's important for growth and progress. But MAN is my left hand still uncoordinated ;)

I have read two quotes the last two days that have floored me. One of them was on Deanne Love's newsletter today:

"...if you find yourself feeling like you can't dance, remind yourself that you were born to dance. If that wasn't the case then why on Earth did a hoop roll into your life?!"

and last night on facebook:

dance_zps70c1bfc1.jpg

I guess the universe is telling me to dance more and to embrace it. I'm very limited in what Belly Dancing I can do because of a back injury, but I've always LOVED it. I'm trying to incorporate more of it into my hooping, and I work on 'pretty hands' as often as I can (pretty much every day when I'm meditative walking). I'm still working on a mental block I have with relaxing into my Flow, and I want to believe it's helping me get closer to breaking through that wall. Not really part of my challenge, but definitely part of my Max Level Life.

• Like 1

Lets see. The garage sale wasn't very lucrative, but getting all that stuff out of my house is pretty priceless. I have two higher-priced items for sale online still, but the rest has been donated. And those items are at my friend's house, so I don't even have to look at them.

Lets see, I've been doing good grabbing my mini hoops here and there and practicing. I can almost spin the two of them in opposite rhythms (up/down, I have the forward/back down ok). I think they might call that paddling? I know the next trick I need to work on is iso-pops, so I'll do that this week. I can't even do those with my big hoops yet, so that will be a good new skill. I spent two hours swimming yesterday, which was a blast. I got some living room clutter put away where it belongs in my bookshelf, and my fridge is stuff with fruits and veggies from the local produce co-op.

I had my 6-month follow up with my PCOS specialist Thursday after work. I've lost 10% of my bodyweight since January - I'm down 27% overall now. He was super proud of me, and I even got a fist bump. I am trying a new med for my stupid persistent acne, but overall he told me just to keep doing what I'm doing. I finished up my latest 6-week lifting routine on Friday, and started a new one today. My shoulders are wrecked right now.

So now that my garage sale is over, I need to kick up the declutter mode without the intention of selling most of the items. That's no big deal, it was just easier when I had the garage sale coming up. I got a great email from ZenHabits today with a fabulous quote:

"Clutter, it turns out, is procrastination."

That hit me in the gut a little bit. I know I have problems with laziness. I KNOW I procrastinate. But at some point, I need to take some personal accountability and consciously work on reducing my procrastination. It had a great little guide for starting, and I'll share the basic idea:

Start small .

Work in chunks .

Follow a simple method .

Put stuff in your trunk .

Talk to anyone involved .

Notice your resistance .

Enjoy the process .

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines