[Ketsurou] To infinity, and...

Introduction:  I am Ketsurou, a name chosen specifically for its meaning. I'm a recovering food addict, currently living with four other food addicts who openly embrace their habits. This makes getting fit quite a challenge, but I'm not the sort to get scared. Despite the fact that the scale says I'm obese, though, I've worked in farming and construction since I was old enough to swing a hammer or put up fence. So while it's nicely hidden, I don't feel completely weak, and I at least have a stamina that tends to surprise people -- you don't get to sit down on a farm until the job is done, no matter how badly your body protests. Lately, though, that life is becoming the past and I've moved on to a desk job -- strength that was once quite natural is quickly fading, and health that was once already poor is quickly becoming quite bad. I've had my ups and downs over the years, and quite literally I have spent the entirety of my life overweight. I'm tired of it. I want to do what I want to do, and in order to do that I need to, I can, and I will take control of my health and my body. Now. 

Main Quest:  Drop three pant sizes by the end of the year -- from 40" to 34". 

Quest 1: Give Paleo a try, starting mostly by eating less processed foods and eating more vegetables. 

Measurement: A = less than 10% processed foods, B = less than 25% processed foods, C = less than 50% processed foods.

Reward: Reward: A = +3 CON, B = +2CON, C = +1 CON

Quest 2: Do body weight training more seriously, and consistently, starting with the NF Beginner workout. 

Measurement: A = Every workout, all six weeks, B = Every other workout, all six weeks, C = Once a week.

Reward: A = +3 STR, +2 STA, B = +2 STR, +1 STA, C = +1 STR

Quest 3: Log meals on LoseIt! every day, keeping track of nutrition and weight loss progress. 

Measurement: A = Every meal; B = Every other day, C = once a week.

Reward: A = +3 CHA, B = +2CHA, C = +1CHA

Side Quest: Stretch to improve flexibility. Focusing mainly on lower body, since my legs are very tight.

Measurement: A = 15 minutes a day, B = 10 minutes a day, C = 5 minutes a day.

Reward: A = +3 DEX, B = +2 DEX, C = +1 DEX

Motivation:  I want to be better at parkour and martial arts. My mind can see what to do and my reflexes can trigger, but my body can't keep up with the plan. I'm sick of the mind-body lag, so it's time to get stronger and healthier so I can do what I want without worrying about limits that, with only a few months of decent training, shouldn't be there.

Edit Note:

I've decided my theme and challenge story, so all posts after this will be a little different. Quest will be Assignment, etc. 

• Like 2

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

Training Assignments: #1

"If you're afraid to fall, you fall because you're afraid. Everything is Choice." -- Daniel Ilabaca, Choose Not To Fall.

Choose not to fall. Be victorious, one choice at a time. 

"We are all the protagonists of our own life story,

so be the hero that you want to be."

Primary Mission: Lose 64lbs.

7.8%
7.8%

Secondary Mission: Drop 3 Pant Sizes.

25%
25%

Hello!

I’m Hazard, an ambassador for the Assassin Guild.  I see you've listed yourself as an Assassin in your signature, and we’d love to help you reach your goals!

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, I'll happily assist you.  An easy way to get my attention is to use the quote button at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the forum setting turned on to alert me when somebody quotes me using that button, so it's a quick easy way to let me know you're talking to me. :)  You can also get in touch with me by posting on my own challenge topic or by using the forum private messenger system (the envelope button at the very top of the screen).

Here is a link to more information about the Assassin guild.

And here is a link to the Assassin phonebook with a list of various exercises/skills that guild members are working on for this challenge, as well as links to their challenge topics.

There are numerous other people in the Assassin’s guild who you can also get help from.  I recommend stopping by the Assassin's Den – a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introducing yourself.  You can always ask questions there too.

In any case, I’ll stop by from time to time to check in with you and offer support.  Good luck!

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Hello!

I’m Hazard, an ambassador for the Assassin Guild.  I see you've listed yourself as an Assassin in your signature, and we’d love to help you reach your goals!

If you ever have any questions or need help with anything, I'll happily assist you.  An easy way to get my attention is to use the quote button at the bottom right corner of any of my posts.  I have the forum setting turned on to alert me when somebody quotes me using that button, so it's a quick easy way to let me know you're talking to me. :)  You can also get in touch with me by posting on my own challenge topic or by using the forum private messenger system (the envelope button at the very top of the screen).

Here is a link to more information about the Assassin guild.

And here is a link to the Assassin phonebook with a list of various exercises/skills that guild members are working on for this challenge, as well as links to their challenge topics.

There are numerous other people in the Assassin’s guild who you can also get help from.  I recommend stopping by the Assassin's Den – a general chat thread in the guild forum – and introducing yourself.  You can always ask questions there too.

In any case, I’ll stop by from time to time to check in with you and offer support.  Good luck!

Thanks Hazard. :) I also declared myself a wannabe Assassin in my amusing and fun introduction thread.

I'll definitely be dropping by the Den more when I find a little time. You guys are probably going to have to help me figure out this whole Paleo thing. The only major diet I've worked with before (where I lost a lot of weight) was the Slow Carb diet from Tim Ferris. I loved it and it works, but it's a fair bit different than Paleo. 

I mean, no beans. No beans! :nightmare:

• Like 2

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

"If you're afraid to fall, you fall because you're afraid. Everything is Choice." -- Daniel Ilabaca, Choose Not To Fall.

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%

You guys are probably going to have to help me figure out this whole Paleo thing.

i don't have any food allergies or intolerance, so I don't follow any special diets and can't help you much with them.  We do have a Paleo/Primal subforum here on NF, however, where you should be able to get answers to any questions you might have about the Paleo eating.

• Like 1

I Stand With Gina Carano

i don't have any food allergies or intolerance, so I don't follow any special diets and can't help you much with them.  We do have a Paleo/Primal subforum here on NF, however, where you should be able to get answers to any questions you might have about the Paleo eating.

A doctor once told me that I had a gluten intolerance, but after reading things like this and analyzing personal experience, I'm pretty sure I don't. Just, too much of it isn't really good for me, but that could be said of anything. But that's not why I want to try Paleo; I mainly just want to see how it makes me feel. I have to learn it, though, since I'm used to other methods when I'm eating right.

I'll definitely be dropping by the Paleo forum. :) My goal for this challenge is to initialize the transition to healthier eating mainly by cutting down processed foods -- chips, candy, bread, tortillas; and definitely things like doughnuts and ice cream. After what I learned with the Slow Carb Diet from Tim Ferris that really shouldn't be too hard, but it's a good and important first step regardless of what nutrition plans I use long term. I may end up just mixing Paleo and Slow Carb ideas, and doing whatever works for me.

• Like 1

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%

I've decided on a theme and story that I can do for many many challenges, with complete flexibility for what I'm actually doing as far as training goes. 

This is going to be fun.  :pride:

• Like 1

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%
Wednesday 11-06 2014
Week One: Update 1.1

Probationer Training 101

Probation: The outer most level of training for any Order. A Probationer is taught the Basics of Basics only -- methods that are all publicly available, somewhere, in some form -- to prepare him for the Training of The Order.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ketsurou stepped onto the mat, approaching a teacher of the probationers. The man turned, and Ketsurou forced back an instinctual sense of intimidation.

"You're one of the new ones," the man said.

Ketsurou nodded.

"What is your purpose?"

Looking down to his unfit body, the answer seemed clear. "To be healthy," Ketsurou responded as his eyes met the elder Assassin.

"No, boy. That is just the first step. What is your purpose? Why are you here?"

A fire seemed to rise as Ketsurou recalled his dreams of strength and power. "I want to be stronger," he said.

The elder continued to gaze sternly. "And?"

Ketsurou remembered every time he could see the paths of movement, could feel how to move along them, and how frustrating it was that his body could not keep up with his eyes and mind. "I want to master my body."

"And?"

The fire in Ketsurou's eyes suddenly matched the gaze of his elder. "To acquire the power to do anything I decide to do. To acquire the strength to do what I say I am going to do. To learn the endurance to persevere through anything, even when the gods themselves seem to stand against me!"

The elder suppressed a smirk, but not before Ketsurou saw the small twitch. "Well," he said, "let us see what you are made of."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assignment One

This is going a lot better than I thought it would, so far. The only processed foods I've had are corn chips, and not that many. I'll not buy any more once these are gone (by the end of the week, I think), and stopping them will knock out most processed foods for the rest of the challenge. Yeah, I eat lots of corn chips. Other than that, I'm still using a lot of Slow Carb principles instead of pure Paleo. Lots of beans, some brown rice, a protein shake that I love. Perhaps cutting back grains can be my next challenge.

Assignment Two

My first scheduled workout was Monday, and I missed it. I normally hate excuses, but I was in a car wreck Monday (don't worry, I am fine...even though my car isn't), so that sort of messed up all kinds of plans. :( Today I ran through the Beginner Body Weight Workout for the first time. I almost did another one or two, but then I decided to just work into things slowly and patiently.

Assignment Three

This may seem like the easiest challenge, and in a way it is -- in other ways it's the most annoying. I hate calorie counting, but I also know keeping journals in this way and others keeps me accountable and pushes me forward, and this is just a simple and practical way to do that. Everything I've eaten since the challenge started is on LoseIt! As an aside, though, I did discover that I've only been eating around 1,500 calories a day without all the junk food in my diet. I'm wondering what I should do about that. Maybe I shouldn't do intermittent fasting with my current schedule? I could easily eat a bigger breakfast.

Extra Credit

Five minutes Monday, five minutes Tuesday, fifteen minutes Wednesday. :)
  • Like 1

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%

Yeah, I thought so too. I've often pushed my body hard after being sedentary for long periods of time, so I'm not worried about hurting; but there's that whole "slow and steady wins the race" thing to think about. 

• Like 1

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%

You know, I've been reading other threads around here, including yours Hazard. I thought about updating my status with these goals that frequently, but I think doing so would only drain the fun out of all of this for me and would exhaust me -- especially with the short stories I want to keep writing with each update. 

So, I think an update post once a week will work for me. Perhaps on Wednesdays, since that's when I did the last update. 

Official update aside, though, I am doing well.  :pride:

• Like 1

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%

My experience in reading challenges suggests that people who update throughout the week have a higher challenge success rate.

But we're nerds - experiments are fun! Give your plan a test if you feel you'll do better and stay more motivated with once-a-week updates. :). If it works, beautiful! If not, you can always adjust the plan again.

• Like 1

I Stand With Gina Carano

I thought about that too. But, I am logging every day with LoseIt (a goal that is going very well), plus I'm visiting the forums and posting here every day even if it's not in this specific thread. 

I think I'll try it at least this week, if not another week just to be sure. I think, if I know myself as well as I think I do, it'll work great to do a once a week big update. If the experiment doesn't work out, I can just kick it up to three times a week or so. 

Experience and observation is the measure of all progress. :)

• Like 3

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%

Dragon Riders, huh? Now I'm stuck with the image of a Lycan riding a Dragon, and that just seems weird.  :playful:

• Like 1

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%

I thought about that too. But, I am logging every day with LoseIt (a goal that is going very well), plus I'm visiting the forums and posting here every day even if it's not in this specific thread. 

I think I'll try it at least this week, if not another week just to be sure. I think, if I know myself as well as I think I do, it'll work great to do a once a week big update. If the experiment doesn't work out, I can just kick it up to three times a week or so. 

Experience and observation is the measure of all progress. :)

It can get to be a bit much when you're updating in multiple locations.  Just make sure to come by and tell us how well you're doing!!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

It would totally work ;)

wolf__tiger__dragon_by_sheltiewolf-d15nx

As awesome as that is, that guy seems more werewolf than Lycan. Bit different, those cousins of ours. ;)

Wednesday 18-06 2014
Week One-Two

Ketsurou felt a chill down his spine as his trainer stood over him -- watching, judging. The exercise wasn't much, but it did it's job and the trainer made sure that it was done enough. After the last jumping jack, Ketsurou let himself fall onto the mat. 

Watching, the old trainer chuckled. "You aren't made of much, are you?"

"I am made of enough to survive, and that's all that matters."

"We shall see," the trainer said. 

Assignment One

No corn chips. :) Someone actually gave me not one, but two bags of fritos, and I haven't opened them. That's a good challenge in itself, right there. I've eaten a few other things. There was some things that would probably be considered non-paleo during fathers day celebrations, and I've had canned chili a few times. But largely, my processed intake is presently much smaller than it was. So, progress. Baby steps, but progress.

Assignment Two

I'm not doing this as regularly as I thought I would, perhaps because it's not as challenging as other things I've done in the past. It feels like a lot in the moment, then five minutes later it feels like, "that's all?" and the next day I wonder if I even did anything. I think I'll start adding more reps to this workout after all. I'm weaker than I want to be, but I won't get stronger if I don't push myself. 

Assignment Three

This is still my easiest challenge, and a good way to motivate me to keep doing right. Seeing negative numbers on the screen on Fathers day wasn't a good feeling. Though, besides that, my average still seems to be about 1500 calories a day. Hm.

Extra Credit

This went well up until about Sunday I think, where I'm not really sure what happened. I haven't stopped completely, I just need to sit down and do it more. 

--by the way, it seems not all of my stories will be too long. Oh well. Enjoy it as it comes. ;)
  • Like 1

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%

Oh, I was tired last night and forgot one important little progress update.

That whole pant size goal? As of a couple of days ago, I can now fit into an old pair of '38 jeans. :) They're the kind with the elastic in them, but hey. Progress is progress. 

• Like 2

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%

Dropped a size!?!?!  Congrats!!! 

10900711-large.jpg

You should feel the body weight workout at least a LITTLE the next day.  How many sets and reps are you doing?

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

I've been doing one rep of it. I feel it during the workout itself, then after its done it's just...done.

Though, I did help my library move the entire English and American Lit sections this week. That I am feeling, a little.

• Like 1

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

7.8%
7.8%

25%
25%

Work up to 3 SETS of 10 REPS each.  Depending upon how fit you are, you might be able to move from the basic workout to doing more difficult versions of the exercises. 

Some sort of Jedi .....

Hello to another Lycan! And huge congrats on dropping a pant size.

Cutting out the processed foods and moving to healthy things can be hard, but it looks like you're doing a great job with the transition so far. Not having food readily available in the house helps a lot. I like the storyline you're writing for yourself too. Very fun to read.

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines