[climber_girl] Let's Do This

Congrats!!!!

The-greater-the-obstacle-the-more-glory-

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

Thank you!!

Myrlien, unfortunately at this gym they don't let you test out on the easiest Lead wall or choose your own route, they choose it for you and it can be any one at any time. After my last failure, the last few months some of my climbing people would let me follow their lead route on top rope and unclip on the way up so I could gain more skill and endurance for those routes. I'm going to be meeting some there today after work and finally be able to lead my own :) also got 2 other people that I'll be helping them to pass their tests too. Can't wait!

As for week 5: I made all my goals. Strength M/T/W, Run M/W/Sat, Social: Sand Volleyball Friday and out for food and drinks afterwards.

Plus I'm recruiting people to go sky diving with me next Sunday! It's going to be terrifying but I just want to do it all.

• Like 1

Level 2

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge: 1

I have yet to figure out how to make a much better signature

Every Mountain Top Is Within Reach If You Just Keep Climbing

~Barry Finlay

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Hi climber_girl! I found you over at the Ohio meetups thread and thought I'd say hey since I'm in Cincy. Moving to Cali in a month or so for a temp work assignment, but for now Cincinnati is home. 

I did the Mud Ninja a couple years ago, it's exciting that you're signed up! Just a warning, you may want to recruit a couple more friends if you can because it helps to have more people when climbing over the walls (having taller gals/guys is a plus). Your grip strength from climbing should serve you well. 

Best of luck finishing up your challenge!

• Like 1

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Hi climber_girl! I found you over at the Ohio meetups thread and thought I'd say hey since I'm in Cincy. Moving to Cali in a month or so for a temp work assignment, but for now Cincinnati is home. 

I did the Mud Ninja a couple years ago, it's exciting that you're signed up! Just a warning, you may want to recruit a couple more friends if you can because it helps to have more people when climbing over the walls (having taller gals/guys is a plus). Your grip strength from climbing should serve you well. 

Best of luck finishing up your challenge!

Figures, finally someone else in the area and you're moving lol nice to virtually meet you though!

I did recruit a couple of my strong enough guy climbing friends, they should be good plus there will be several other people I know so I should be good with getting over the high walls. I can't wait for it, just another week and a half!

• Like 1

Level 2

Current Challenge

~Barry Finlay

Figures, finally someone else in the area and you're moving lol nice to virtually meet you though!

I did recruit a couple of my strong enough guy climbing friends, they should be good plus there will be several other people I know so I should be good with getting over the high walls. I can't wait for it, just another week and a half!

You'll have to post on how the race goes! Even though it's after the official end of the challenge. 

You may want to duct tape your shoes on (or just tie them really well)...I remember the mud getting pretty suck-y. Bring flip-flops for after, and if you wear a pair of sneakers that you're ready to toss I think they collect them for donations. And maybe bring towels for the car seats on the way home. And pace yourself, it is pretty steep downhill and uphill!

But maybe you already knew all that. 

Sounds like you're kicking major butt with your goals. Hope your Week 6 is going just as awesomely.

• Like 2

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Awesome job on the challenge goals!!  Finish strong in week 6!!

Screen+Shot+2011-12-28+at+11.14.10+PM.pn

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

Alright, I'll post on here how the race goes. It's only one week away! Can't wait! Thanks for the tips. In my first mud race (Mudocalypse) I wore my old tennis shoes that were already literally falling apart and no duct tape because a friend said I didn't need it, I got stuck in mud so much and was trying to not get my shoes sucked off. I ended up having to just throw those out and got a pair of actual trail running shoes that are good for mud races. I made so many newbie mistakes, no towel, left change of clothes in the car, etc. I was a little more prepared for the Savage Race, but this time I just have to remember to bring a towel. I'm sure the steep up and down hills will be just like at the Savage Race: everyone slowly hikes up them while complaining lol.

I'm doing well with week 6 this week, tomorrow I'm doing the Girls Night Out 5 miler so I'll count that as my third run for the week. Also rock climbing in the Red River Gorge all day before that so I'll already be pretty warmed up for it (or slow from being tired, we'll see).

I like that Attitude picture quote!

I already have goals in mind for the next challenge, too!

Level 2

Current Challenge

~Barry Finlay

Psh sounds like you didn't need my tips at all, you're a mud race pro! 

I totally thought about doing the Girls Night Out run but I tend to avoid evening races (though it's been amazingly not-humid lately!), I'm supposed to do a 7-mi (accidentally typed 70mi there bahaha) Saturday morning anyhow. 

So strange/cool to actually find someone in the area on the forums! I'm a transplant but actually like Cincinnati (unlike some of my grumbly coworkers)...but the move to Cali just came through so in the next week or so I'll be gone.

How do you like Red River Gorge? I'm a super-novice climber, but have thought about doing it with a guided group tour...

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Psh sounds like you didn't need my tips at all, you're a mud race pro! 

I totally thought about doing the Girls Night Out run but I tend to avoid evening races (though it's been amazingly not-humid lately!), I'm supposed to do a 7-mi (accidentally typed 70mi there bahaha) Saturday morning anyhow. 

So strange/cool to actually find someone in the area on the forums! I'm a transplant but actually like Cincinnati (unlike some of my grumbly coworkers)...but the move to Cali just came through so in the next week or so I'll be gone.

How do you like Red River Gorge? I'm a super-novice climber, but have thought about doing it with a guided group tour...

I'm working on being pro lol still welcome any tips! So one of my mud recruits dropped out so now I just have one, but still plenty of other people I already know will be there. Can't wait!

I'm not a big fan of evening runs either, and I ended up missing that one Saturday. I went down to the Red River Gorge Friday after work (it was raining the entire time and apparently my tent is not 100% waterproof) got out to the walls Saturday to an area that was overhung and protected from the rain so we could still climb. I realized I forgot my running shoes and knee brace and would've had to leave even earlier or just do it in hiking boots and walk most of it. I ended up just staying, especially after I realized I already missed the time I was going to leave (oops) but it was great! I climbed my first 100ft route, lead another sport route and cleaned and rappelled for the first time. It was awesome and I'm still tired and sore.

Right, what timing lol. I like Cincinnati too (minus the traffic) I've only really been in the Cincinnati area since I got a job in November. At first I hated it because of traffic and driving in the crappy weather we had but now I really like it. There's always something going on (plus it's where I climb so I like it even more)

I love the Gorge! I went backpacking there a few years ago and had no idea how huge it was back then. I also remember hearing/seeing some climbers off in the distance and thought that would be awesome to do... not a clue that I would become one of them lol. I've met so many people at my climbing gym that have invited me out there with them and I've been learning the area and everything (well it's too big so I've just been learning small areas) so the pro-ish climbers I've met have been my guides lol. I think I've only made four trips out there so far (life keeps getting in the way or it would've been more)

Hahah, hear hear with the shoe troubles. I wore waterproof trainers for my mud run and the puddles just stayed in there. Have fun with the sky diving!

Oh that's funny lol sounds about as waterproof as my tent.

So sky diving didn't happen :( we waited four hours, first for the fog to clear then for the clouds to clear and apparently the clouds weren't going to go away so we ended up having to reschedule. Don't know when yet. We were thinking next weekend but it doesn't look like the weather/sky will be clear, so hopefully the weekend after. I may end up just having to post about it in my next challenge thread by the time I finally get to jump.

Week 6:

A little late, but here it is.

Run: 2 (I missed the race Saturday)

Sleep: 5

Strength: 3

Social: 1

Total:

Run: 15/18

Sleep: 30/30

Strength: 18/18

Social: 6/6

I know for my next challenge I want to have something diet-related for one of the goals. I was doing well with that before this challenge then I just kind of slipped. I also really need to work on getting some more and better runs in, and want to do more with the strength portion.

Can't wait for the next challenge!

• Like 1

Level 2

Current Challenge

~Barry Finlay

Oh man your climb sounds so hardcore (I say this because I do not understand the terms you use haha). How did the 5-miler go? 

I'll def check back next challenge to read about the jump  :rapture:

Haha thanks! I actually tried to explain it to a coworker friend in "normal people's language" and she still didn't understand either, so I guess I've entered into a whole new world with a whole new language. I actually didn't end up making it to the 5 miler :-/ I've been overbooking my weekends lately.

Level 2

Current Challenge

~Barry Finlay

So some of you wanted an update after the Mud Ninja. Well... I survived! I ended up taking two people with me, one it was her first mud run (and hopefully not her last) she was my original running person until some back issues so it was great to run and do stuff with her again.The other is one of my climbing people (who has been climbing for about 8-9 years and can do pretty much anything) and it was his first race in general (and definitely not his last). We started out with some other people I knew but ended up somehow losing them along the course, although one did keep up with us until she jumped into a mud pit and broke her leg in 3 spots :( it's unbelievable how hard it was to find a medic. She conveniently jumped right next to two people who happened to be paramedics so they took care of her while I, a volunteer guy and a random lady ran all the way to the beginning, the main part, yelling for a medic because there wasn't one at the station right there where one should have been. Eventually we got some to come and get her out with a stretcher along with the help of some really awesome random people who stopped in their race to help. She'll hopefully be back to doing all this in several weeks.

I also learned that I really need to work on more upper body strength. I really need to step up on that during the next challenge (or just start tomorrow). Plus doing some obstacles that required upper body strength while dehydrated kind of hinders getting a good result. There was an obstacle where we had to hang upside down on a rope and go over a body of mud and water (so awesome!) and I made it most of the way before the sore on my ankle couldn't handle going against the rope anymore and next thing I know the muddy water tastes absolutely awful. There were also a couple obstacles with slacklines which were awesome but impossible for anyone to walk across with bottom of shoes caked in mud and everyone already so shaky lol I used to be pretty good with balance. I have no idea how many mud pits we had to climb in and out of. This was my third mud race and I must say that at every one there have always been awesome people pausing in their race to help complete strangers on difficult obstacles. I'm going to try and see if I can do the battle frog one in Pittsburg in October. Oh, and after the Mud Ninja, I got home just in time to take a really quick shower and head to a wedding!

Here's some pics:

10489888_10153022682393275_2153434586846

10537098_10153022682628275_1327356504909

10383947_10153022683088275_7282073276654

10421140_10153022684718275_7720222095096

And of course the pond that we got to wash off in:

1910630_10153022687653275_85739510241303

Level 2

Current Challenge