W_K_S: Round 9: Stamina, Strength, New Beginnings

These challenges have changed my life - I don't mean that in the cliche way, I mean it literally. When I found NerdFitness, I weighed 235 and my doctor wanted to put me on cholesterol-lowering medication. Today, I weight 195 and have lowered my cholesterol almost 20 points and I am no longer in the "danger zone"

My goal for the year is to run in a 10 mile race. I had my eye on Disney's Tower of Terror 10-miler, but it sold out less than a week after it opened. I am still trying to work my way into that race, but I will do another if I can't get in.

I would also like to do a mud run, but my upper-body strength is a little lacking so for this challenge, I am going to work on strength and stamina. I am also working toward a new beginning in my career.

Here are my goals for this challenge:

1. Stamina - Train using the Galloway training schedule for the Disney Tower of Terror 10-milers. It is 3 weekly runs with two runs at 30 mins each and then a long run day beginning at 2 miles and moving up a mile a week. (Total of 18 runs)

A= 17 - 18 runs, B= 15 - 16 runs, C= 13 - 14 run, anything less than 13 is an F

2. Strength - Complete no less than 2 sets of body weight workout 2x per week. Each workout will include squats, push-up, lunges (or step ups), plank, leg raises and other exercises thrown in for good measure (total of 12 workouts)

A= 11-12, B= 9-10, C=7 - 8, anything less than 7 is an F

3. Push-ups - Push-ups are the perfect multi-muscle exercise and a good indication of strength. Over the course of the challenge I will do 1,100 push-ups.

A= 1050 - 1100, B = 1000 - 1049, C = 950 - 999, less than 950 is an F

4. New Beginning - While I am not unhappy in my current position, there is limited growth potential here and I am on the look for a new career challenge. During this challenge, I will either begin a new position or find and retain an executive recruiter to help me find my next career opportunity.

A = Do it, F= Don't do it

I will be tracking number of posts to my battle log, as that accountability keeps me motivated and on target, but it will not be counted toward the challenge. I continue to track all of my calories, but that is more for my own education on what I am eating and how much fat and stuff is in my food. I will also start working toward increasing my ability to do pull-ups. I can do 2 neutral-grip pull-ups and do those when I take my son to the playground in our development, but not sure how that relates to standard pull-ups or chin-ups. If I am going to be successful in a mud run, I have to increase upper body strength.

Thanks to everyone in this community for your encouragement and support! Let's do this...

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

great to see you back, and lowering that cholesterol :)  I have only done one mud run, but I had a lot of fun.

Which one did you do? 

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines