Nightbrother's quest to become better

What exactly did you do to your neck/upper back? Realize that front squats are awesome, but are a very different movement than squats. You'll inevitably move less weight, and it will probably have less carry over to your deadlift. Why pulldowns and inverted rows in place of pullups and barbell rows? Just mixing things up?

Well done on the 200 pound pull. If you are lacking calories and want to fill the hole with something solid, don't forget PB&Js.

I think the culprit to my neck pain was either the foam or I had the barbell too high (or both).Either way lifting that weight up felt like hell, I almost failed on 2 counts and felt like 3 mins was not enough rest.

I'm going to try the front squat to give my neck/back a chance and it gives me the opportunity to try and experiment.Either way it's probably just temporary.

For the pull ups it's the realization that the whole time I wasen't doing it all the way, just close grip and not all the way down. I tried doing a real full pull-up and it don't work.So I'm going to try lat pull downs to build strenght for awhile. At the end of the month I'll attempt a real pull up and see what happens.

For the rows, you're right! It is to mix things up.

The reason I don't do PBJ earlier is because I'm allergic to nuts. Instead I use soy butter. Yes I'm aware of the soy controversy

1) I am not a baby

2) those people have no idea what it's like being allergic to about 1/4 of a grocery store.

Either way soy butter is the only soy product I consume.

Lvl.0 Half-elf Jedi-initiate

My first challenge

My log

Foam? Don't use a bar pad. You'll get sore for a couple weeks and you'll eventually toughen up and not notice it anymore. It's much safer. The foam keeps it from digging in and getting stable on your back which is very important.

Fair enough on the pull-ups. I'd do some full ROM chin-ups before the pulldowns. Open vs closed chain movements end up recruiting differently, this would split the baby.

As long as you can progressively overload your row variation, go right ahead. Look into Meadows and dead-start dumbbell rows, too. They are both very effective movements.

That blows on the nut allergy. Ever had a cream cheese and jelly sandwich? Granted they aren't as portable, but they are fucking DELICIOUS.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Almost 2 weeks of being ill. I realized this week that what i have is beyond the common cold, especially since i have a fever that seems to refuse to go away. 

I think it's safe to say that i've failed my challenge and stonglifts due to falling ill. when i get better, i'll just bite the bullet and continue where i left off and keep at it,no matter how long it takes.

I can't say i'm terribly disappointed, i was able to lift a 100 lbs box on my own from the ground at work despite being sick. That proves that at least i was able to go from being weak to stronger.

My first challenge

My log

It sounds like you're doing fine with dem gainz. You might want to stop by a doc to get checked out for whatever ails you. It sounds like either the influenza or something more serious. Either way, you're right, it's much worse than the usual summer cold.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

It sounds like you're doing fine with dem gainz. You might want to stop by a doc to get checked out for whatever ails you. It sounds like either the influenza or something more serious. Either way, you're right, it's much worse than the usual summer cold.

I'll rest for a few days, if i'm not better by then a trip to the doc is very likely.

how would you suggest i get back on track once i'm better? should i just pick-up the same weight as i did before i got sick?

My first challenge

My log

With a lay-off of over 2 weeks I'd say drop back the weight by 10% on the lifts that were starting to feel heavy. If anything was still feeling pretty easy, I'd just jump right back into it.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

With a lay-off of over 2 weeks I'd say drop back the weight by 10% on the lifts that were starting to feel heavy. If anything was still feeling pretty easy, I'd just jump right back into it.

I think it was mostly the squat deadlift and OHP that was really hard, everything else was fine.

I din't try the lat pulldown yet, how much weight would you recommend i start with, something just hard but not too hard to do 12 reps?

My first challenge

My log

I'd shoot for 8. Do that weight until you can do 12 for three sets across and then put some more on.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"