Orcwarrior re-enters the fray!

orcwarrior

Orcwarrior here, ready to re-enter the challenge arena after being AWOL for several challenges.  Had successfully completed 4 challenges last spring/summer, then hit a wall with several major life events and went into a tailspin, so I'm re-emerging after some setbacks, but ready to do battle again.  After all, it's a marathon, not a sprint, and there's always another day and another chance to grow and improve.

Fitness-wise, started last spring at 308 lbs, successfully changed my diet and did very well in working out consistently, doing strength training and running through the fall and doing my first-ever Warrior Dash in August, which was a high point for me.  Hit my low of 241 just before my mother's death in September, and with other things went off track and re-gained much of my weight over the winter, which was discouraging.  All is not lost, however.  I'm now at 286 lbs, 22 below my prior high, and but I'm still much stronger and more fit than I was when I started last spring, so that's not all gone.  But I want to re-establish the habits I was doing so well on last year, and feel optimistic about doing so - I've already proved once I can do it, right?  And I still have the improved knowledge and some of the habits (i.e., cooking healthier) that I started last year.

So here are my goals, slightly modified from before:

Life Mission Quest:  Get under 200 lbs.

Haven’t been under 200 lbs since shortly after left the Air Force in 1996, 18 years ago.   I want to get back to where I was at 30, weight-wise, and then set some more goals related to raising my performance in running, biking, lifting, or whatever my physical passion is at that time.

My battle plan is as follows:

1.  Keep a food log tracking eating and calories, which will be mostly paleo except for the occasional sandwich with wheat/light bread that I allow myself, and NO BINGING.  Emotional eating has been my kryptonite in the past.  Goal is 16K cals/wk.   <16K  A,  <17K B,  <18K  C,  <20K  D,  >20K   F  +2 Con, +1 Cha

2.  Do a minimum of four workouts weekly, alternating between strength and running workouts, the latter usually intervals.   I'm going to average this over the challenge to allow for life issues, so I'm shooting for 24 workouts total.  24+  A,  22-23  B,  21  C,  19-20  D,  18 or less  F   +2 Str   +2 Sta

3.  Stay caught up at work - no more than four undone reports at the end of this week, two or less after that.  This is pretty much pass/fail for each week.  +2 Int

4.  Stay current with Bible reading, time with family/friends, and staying busy with productive activities rather than sedentary and isolated.  These things are key to keeping me feeling good and well motivated and engaged in life. Will be scored somewhat subjectively - keep track of reading and being proactive relationally each week both inside and outside of immediate family.  +2 Wis\

Will be back to edit in my starting stats and measurements sometime this week.

Hoo-rah!

• Like 1

OrcWarrior

Current challenge  6 5 4 3 2 1 Favorite recipes

Level 4 ranger  Str 13 Dex 4 Sta 12 Con 12 Wis 11 Cha 5

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

Glad you're here. losing a parent is never easy, and can send anyone into a tailspin.

welcome back 

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

welcome back my friend.  Glad to you see here :D

This is going to be a good challenge for you. *hugs*

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

You got this challenge!  Good to see you back.

Thanks, guy!  Thanks for seeking me out and challenging me to re-engage, as well!  You're an awesome supporter!

Glad you're here. losing a parent is never easy, and can send anyone into a tailspin.

welcome back 

Thanks for reaching out - I appreciate it.  I checked your thread and it sounds like you're busting out of the starting gates for this challenge - having to update your goals already!  You're setting the pace for the rest of us - thanks!

welcome back my friend.  Glad to you see here :D

This is going to be a good challenge for you. *hugs*

Hugs back, Blaidd.  Thanks for consistently being there.  You'll always be my group leader in my emotional NF mental box.  Looking forward to catching up.

Welcome back Orc!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Joe-dog!!!  Thanks for the shout-out!  You were on my catch-up list but you beat me to it.   :peaceful:   Hope all is going well for you and yours.  I want to stop over to your thread and catch up - I'll see you soon!

Hey Orc! Thanks for digging me out of the archives and bringing me to the present :) it's going to be a great challenge and I can't wait to see what happens.

You bet, Amanda.  Wouldn't be the same without you being around.  Looking forward to the challenge with you!

About this challenge now. I feel like I'm hitting the ground running and getting a good start. It feels good. I started a couple days late, so I'm going to call this Tuesday, Day 1.

Day 1: Re-engaged with Starting Strength, which I had been doing inconsistently for the past month or so but am now committing to at least twice weekly, maybe more. Squat 165, benchpress 140, deadlift 235. Ate clean, 1400 cal.  Finished 2 reports at work.  It was a good day.   :redface-new:

Day 2: Interval workout on the elliptical, good sweat. Ate clean, 1700 cal. Finished one report at work.  Another in the win column.

Day 3 (yesterday): Starting strength workout, squat 175, benchpress 145 (new PR!), and deadlift 245. Starting Strength calls for alternating workouts between BP/DL and overhead lift and power clean, so I'll start doing that next week. (But I hate power cleans, they just feel awkward– maybe I'll look around for a good substitute. Anybody able to save me a little research and already know a good lift that works the same muscles?). Good day at work, finished three reports. ate clean again, about 2000 cal. I realized I was under-eating the first several days in my enthusiasm, I need to maintain at least 2000-2300 cals make it a good day and not build up hunger to make myself vulnerable to binging.  But so far this week I've been just about 100% paleo, which feels good to get back on track.

Day 4 (today). Did another interval workout this morning, met my goal for workouts this week. Going golfing tomorrow with a friend, then lunch with my dad for an early Father's Day, and hope to spend some good family time this weekend. Want to hit relationships hard, as it's important for me.  Ate clean so far today, just finishing up work (get off early on Fridays) and I already finished four reports, just enough to get me to my only-four-left goal for the week - feels really good!

It also feels good to get back on the boards – it feels a little bit like Logan from Logan's Run (ancient sci-fi movie for you young pups), when he emerges from underground and looks around at the brave new world. It feels like re-emerging back into a good place to get back on the boards and reconnect with everyone. Thanks for being there - I really appreciate you guys!

• Like 1

OrcWarrior

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

What a fantastic start Orc!  See i told you that you were gonna do great.

And we're glad to have you back in our world :D

• Like 1

"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright

My challenge

Thanks for reaching out - I appreciate it.  I checked your thread and it sounds like you're busting out of the starting gates for this challenge - having to update your goals already!  You're setting the pace for the rest of us - thanks!

It also feels good to get back on the boards – it feels a little bit like Logan from Logan's Run (ancient sci-fi movie for you young pups), when he emerges from underground and looks around at the brave new world. It feels like re-emerging back into a good place to get back on the boards and reconnect with everyone. Thanks for being there - I really appreciate you guys!

haha i don't know if i'm setting the pace, but i appreciate the call out/compliment. if you ever find yourself in a slump or anything, please reach out to me.

tumblr_lvisqa9gDP1qdezf9o1_500.gif

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

What a fantastic start Orc!  See i told you that you were gonna do great.

And we're glad to have you back in our world :D

Hey Orc! Glad to see you back at it!

Thanks, guys!  It does feel good to be back.

haha i don't know if i'm setting the pace, but i appreciate the call out/compliment. if you ever find yourself in a slump or anything, please reach out to me.

You bet I will - Thanks!  and good luck with your challenge!

Update:

Week 1/Day 4 (Friday):  Finished the day well, ate clean.  Super busy day, was tired and went to be early.  Only about 1350 calories, which later caught my attention.  I've noticed in the past that there's a strong connection between my getting to bed early and eating less.  Common sense, I think - I tend to eat most poorly in the evening, when I'm tired and bad food is very accessible.  It's helped in the past on emotionally tough days when I've just made it a deliberate point to go to bed early.  Something to keep in mind again.

Week 2/Day 5 (Sat)  Busy, good day.  Golf in the morning with a friend, then took my dad out to lunch for Father's Day (which is actually today).  Then came home to do some work and my wife reminded me we had an afternoon wedding, so scratched those plans.  But LOOK OUT!!!

danger+will+robinson+gif.gif

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!!!

Wedding buffet - people - late in the day....

But I had fun and did OK.  At the buffet I carefully focused on the veg's and chicken, and at the table when done used an old coping strategy of DELAY - telling myself, "Just wait, I can get more later if I still want it."  Of course, then we started dancing and having tons of fun and I totally forgot about it, which is why this usually has worked in the past.  And helping my wife's cousin tear down after the wedding (country garden wedding, sat on covered hay bales in a backyard/garden setting, but then helped transport 100 75-lb hay bales 50 yards to the garage before they got dew on them and got ruined) and several hours of dancing at the reception later, I got a pretty good workout for the day.   :peaceful:

And today's Father's Day - so my wife is cooking - very supportive - making barbecued chicken for lunch - looking forward to it.  

And a big Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there!

happy-fathers-day-tie-ag1.gif

• Like 1

OrcWarrior

Tagging so I can catch up and follow you old half-brother!

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Good job at the wedding.  I am glad to see the first week going well for you.

Thanks - it does feel good - I think getting back into an NF challenge has helped my rebooting my diet/exercise routine feel more noteworthy, and it's upped my motivation.  Now I just have to keep the fire burning!

Tagging so I can catch up and follow you old half-brother!

Welcome, old half-sis!  Appreciate you stopping by.  I love your Samson-like pose pushing the rocks apart!   :peaceful:

Finished up week one last night - went a little off the rails with an evening Father's Day celebration - pizza rolls - yummy - but still only did 2400 cals for the day, all paleo except the pizza rolls, so that's ok.  Goals for the first week:

1.  16K cals or less - tracked only six days as I started a day late, so this translates to just under 2300/day.  I actually averaged 1800/day, and ate almost entirely paleo, so this week gets an A.

2.  Workouts - did my four workouts in the first four days, so that was good.  A

3.  Get/stay caught up at work - did a big push (I was WAY behind) and made it to only four undone reports at work, on track to know that down even further, so felt good.  A

4.  Bible reading/rel's/productivity - Good rel's, poorer reading, fairly productive - subjectively scored, probably a B.  This area is crucial for my longer-term mental and emotional health, so I want to crank harder on this.  When I start to stress I usually start to neglect these areas first, which makes me more vulnerable.  So this one is about building habits that will make my metaphorical defenses against life stress as strong as possible.  So not bad, but needs improvement.

Started this week off well!

Workout this am - 3x5 185 squat, 3x5 155 bench (PR again!  Wahoo!), 1x5 265 deadlift, 65"/65"/60" planks.  Whew!  Sweating some when it's done.  Wife is starting couch to 5K again this summer, I'll likely join her again with that on non-lifting days, and see where it goes.  And knocked off two more reports at work - almost totally caught up now.

Also down 7 lbs from last week to yesterday!  I do love the first week or two of eating clean - always with big initial change on the scale :nevreness: before it settles down for more gradual progress.  :pride:

OrcWarrior

Saw this and thought it was great - I'm think I'm going to print it out and post it on my bathroom mirror!

440x380_ac.jpg

• Like 1

OrcWarrior

Looking good.  I like first couple of weeks weight loss as well.  On your number 4 goal, do you have a faith group?  That can help out with staying on course with bible reading.  Also, I get a daily devotion emailed to me. Since I am in front of the computer every day, I can check out the email and reference the bilble verse.  Just some ideas that might help you on #4.

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

hey orc!! so glad to see you back in action. i think you're right about the challenges keeping you focused on goals. smiled big when i read about your wedding and fathers day weekend. sounds like a GREAT time!

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Looking good.  I like first couple of weeks weight loss as well.  On your number 4 goal, do you have a faith group?  That can help out with staying on course with bible reading.  Also, I get a daily devotion emailed to me. Since I am in front of the computer every day, I can check out the email and reference the bilble verse.  Just some ideas that might help you on #4.

Good suggestion with the faith group.  I have a group of guys I meet with twice monthly for breakfast/prayer/fellowship/encouragement, but we're taking the summer off.  I've seen some email daily devotions but never actually tried them, and that might be a good devotional prompt to put in place - good idea.  (Pause) There - signed up for one of the Bible Gateway devotionals.  Thanks for the ideas - I appreciate it.

hey orc!! so glad to see you back in action. i think you're right about the challenges keeping you focused on goals. smiled big when i read about your wedding and fathers day weekend. sounds like a GREAT time!

It was a good time - made for a really people-ful and enjoyable weekend!  My favorite part was getting the coupon from my kids to do whatever family activity Dad wanted to do together.  I chose to teach them how to play euchre on Sunday evening - whereupon my two teenagers crushed their mother and me badly, and they thoroughly and loudly enjoyed doing it!   :orange:   Good fun!

Week 2/Day 1 - Did the lifting workout I reported yesterday, and ate clean again - 1700 calories.  Good day at work, several more reports done.  Started a good book, too, by Jim Daly called, "The good dad," about parenting.  Loved the first chapter.

Week 2/Day 2 - Did an interval workout today - felt good.  Eating's going well - clean and about 1200 calories after supper.  Will probably have a snack later before bed.  Made a new dish today that I love - crockpot turkey sausage, pepper, and cannelli bean stew - ate it with parmesan cheese and season salt and nom nom nom nom.....  Very clean and only 170 cal/cup.  Makes the numbers lower than usual for today.  I think I'll add this one to  my fave recipes thread, which I haven't updated since last year.  As a worker bee, I also love recipes I can throw in the crock pot in the am, and come home to a tasty warm dinner already made.  My family appreciates it, too.

My wife started the couch to 5K program again, so I'll join her tomorrow am - hopefully I'll survive - I've been pretty faithful on my elliptical interval workouts, but this will be the first time I've run since last fall.  We'll see how it goes.   :playful:

OrcWarrior

I need to pull out the crockpot again.  I am getting up early enough to start a meal.  Take it easy on the running and learn how to develop your stride and foot placement.  That does wonders in preventing you from developing bad habits that could lead into injuries.  Good luck, you will enjoy it.

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

I swear I left a response here yesterday but I think the server ate it.

Orc!!!!!!  I'm so stoked to see you back in action! The stew sounds great, and has now been added to my must try list.

My wife started the couch to 5K program again, so I'll join her tomorrow am - hopefully I'll survive - I've been pretty faithful on my elliptical interval workouts, but this will be the first time I've run since last fall.  We'll see how it goes.   :playful:

If you can handle your elliptical workout, you will be able to handle C25K.

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

I need to pull out the crockpot again.  I am getting up early enough to start a meal.  Take it easy on the running and learn how to develop your stride and foot placement.  That does wonders in preventing you from developing bad habits that could lead into injuries.  Good luck, you will enjoy it.

I'd recommend dragging it out

.  I'm a firm believer in the greatest payoff for the least amount of effort, which leads me straight to my crockpot most of the time that I cook.  And that's good advice about stride and foot placement - I got really nerdy last year when I re-started running, and was doing tons of reading about foot strike, stride, angles, shoes, etc.  So I'm being pretty careful.

I swear I left a response here yesterday but I think the server ate it.

Orc!!!!!!  I'm so stoked to see you back in action! The stew sounds great, and has now been added to my must try list.

Yes, the Orc has crawled out of hibernation after an ugly winter, and is back on track.  Feels good, too.  DO the stew - it's really good - I think the parmesan cheese and season salt are essential to get max taste, though, so don't skip them.

OrcWarrior

Gotta love a good crockpot recipe! It seems like you're rocking out so far, I bet it feels good to be back in the swing of things :)

You bet!  And you're right, it does feel good.  I'm thrilled you decided to re-join us, too, Amazing - I'm glad us former superheroes are doing the challenge together!

The crockpot is a life saver in my world. I've got a batch of chili cooking up right now. Because nothing says summer like a big bowl of chili.  :D

Hey, I want your recipe.  I've been looking for a good crockpot chili recipe for a while, and for some reason none of them have really appealed to me.  So let me know if you like yours - if you do, I'd love to try it!

Hit the road this am for the first time since late September, jumped in with the wife on the second week of C25K.  Was good to be out again, although I'm feeling a little soreness now (6-7 hours later).  Got my last two reports out the door today at work, and knocking some other monkeys off my desk which is feeling good.  A good day so far.

Been thinking and introspecting about this whole weight/eating/fitness thing.  I'm more and more convinced it's 95% mental, as the mental drives the emotional and thus the physical.  So I'm really going to working on my thinking and motivation, and try to be very deliberate in evaluating and tackling my natural Eyore thinking style, so I'm getting healthier not only physically but mentally and emotionally as well.  So a little less focus just on what I'm doing, and more on what I'm thinking, and how I'm making decisions, looking at situations, and taking care of my mental health, too.  Don't mean to get all introspective, but I think this is going to be key for me.

So, in light of all this seriousness, I'm going to share the REAL reason I'm getting back into running again......

becausezombieswilleattheslowfirst+%25285

• Like 1

OrcWarrior

You bet!  And you're right, it does feel good.  I'm thrilled you decided to re-join us, too, Amazing - I'm glad us former superheroes are doing the challenge together!

sounds to me like we need to get the gang on an accountability group again?

Been thinking and introspecting about this whole weight/eating/fitness thing.  I'm more and more convinced it's 95% mental, as the mental drives the emotional and thus the physical.  So I'm really going to working on my thinking and motivation, and try to be very deliberate in evaluating and tackling my natural Eyore thinking style, so I'm getting healthier not only physically but mentally and emotionally as well.  So a little less focus just on what I'm doing, and more on what I'm thinking, and how I'm making decisions, looking at situations, and taking care of my mental health, too.  Don't mean to get all introspective, but I think this is going to be key for me.

I think a lot of people forget that for most people getting healthy/losing weight/becoming fit is a mental struggle more than anything else.  You have to unlearn bad habits - that's mental; you have to get over whatever emotional trauma put you here in the first place; you have to overcome laziness; you're battling with SAD, GAD, ADHD, depression, etc; or you have to keep telling yourself to go to gym, to go run, to eat right, to do this and to do that.  Once you get over the mental obstacles it's a lot easier.  So well done on spotting it in yourself Orc!

• Like 1

My challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines