Xahn - Challenge 3 - A Refocus

Xahn

Xahns Challenge 3

Hello everyone, thanks for joining me on my 3rd challenge.  I've been pretty successful with my first two challenges, and I'm excited for the third.  I've decided to refocus a little bit on myself and less on the lifting and diet (because they're mostly perfect anyway, it's the other stuff that holds me back).  Embarrassingly, I've got rediculous will power for food and working out, but am completely undisciplined in the rest of my life.  I think it's time to fix that.

Main Quest:

Drop below 10% Body Fat:  It's about to hit 100 degree weather here in Texas, so I want to be as lean as possible.  I also suffer from sever body dismorphism, and consciously have to fight it all the time.  If I'm leaner, I think less about it.  It's actually a little bit of an obsession, and I'm so tired of feeling like that.  I'm embarrassed to be touched, take my shirt off, and enjoy my life.  I know I SHOULDN'T feel this way, but I do.

Side Quests:

3 leg days per week - I'm super obsessed with building my legs.  I used to hate leg workouts, but now I love them.  I enjoy all types of squats, dead lifts, lunges, box jumps, etc...  I'd also like to work in some plyometric type leg days into this as well.  Chances are I'll be in the gym about 5-7 times a week anyway.  ;)

+4 STR

Shoulder Rehab - I'm having an issue with my rotator cuff right now on my right shoulder.  It's made it so I can't do a lot of work with my shoulder which is hitting all upper body movements.  Rather than pushing it farther, I need to find out what's wrong and correct it.  I've already started some light rehab work, and need to get in to the doctor and likely get an MRI.  Regardless, it's time to fix this.

+4 WIS

Drink Less Alcohol - I go out and drink with my friends almost all the time.  It's taken a toll on my diet, my health, and my sleep habits.  I cannot keep doing this.  I'm fairly sure I'd be lean as heck if it weren't for this stupid and detrimental habit.  I'm also starting to worry that maybe it's becoming a problem.  Alcoholism runs in my family, so I need to be very aware of what I'm doing. 

+2 Char +2 WIS

Life Quest:

Buy a Bike - I've been telling myself since I moved to Austin Tx that I would buy a bike.  I'm at the perfect spot to ride, and I haven't done it.  I really need to do it and go exploring around here.  It's such a fun place to live, and I'm just a few miles from everything that's really cool!

+4 STA

That's about it!  If you have any questions or comments about my journey, please feel free to ask.  :)

• Like 2

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

STR: 7 DEX: 5 STA: 2 CON: 5 WIS: 7 CHA: 6

Battle Log, Challenges: #1, #2, CURRENT

Woop.  Nice to see you are back.

Have you thought about a goal that might help you feel more confident (rather than looking better)?

Perhaps slow exposure therapy?  Or joining a sexy dance class?   :playful:

I have no idea!  I am just throwing it out there.

M x

• Like 1

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

STR - 1 / DEX - 1 / STA - 8 / CON - 9 / WIS - 6 / CHA - 4

Challenge - 1 (Rebel) Challenge - 2 (Adventurer) Challenge - 3 (Adventurer)

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

'Rule #1 - Cardio.  Zombies lead a very active life style; so should you.'  Zombieland.

Woop.  Nice to see you are back.

Have you thought about a goal that might help you feel more confident (rather than looking better)?

Perhaps slow exposure therapy?  Or joining a sexy dance class?   :playful:

I have no idea!  I am just throwing it out there.

M x

That's actually a good question Xanjra.  I'm really not sure how to do it.  The only way I've ever been able to feel confident is when I feel like I'm in good shape.  It's probably not the "right" way, it's just what I know.  

What's slow exposure therapy?  And I love to dance, so that kind of class would be a lot of fun!

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

People with phobias are sometimes cured with exposure therapy, which is basically doing the thing they fear (or touching it, or eating it, or whatever, depending on the fear).

Take spiders for example, you start by looking at pictures, then maybe stand in a room where one is in a tank, then get nearer to the tank, then have it near you without a tank, all leading up to you being able to hold it and whatnot.

Desensitisation, I think they call it.

M x

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

'Rule #1 - Cardio.  Zombies lead a very active life style; so should you.'  Zombieland.

Drink Less Alcohol - I go out and drink with my friends almost all the time. It's taken a toll on my diet, my health, and my sleep habits. I cannot keep doing this. I'm fairly sure I'd be lean as heck if it weren't for this stupid and detrimental habit. I'm also starting to worry that maybe it's becoming a problem. Alcoholism runs in my family, so I need to be very aware of what I'm doing.

NOT THE BOOZE!!!!

I know I'm the same though and trying to calm down.

Sent from my nokia 3210

• Like 1

Race: Undead Gnoll | Class: Ranger

[Level: 3 | STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 4 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 4 ]

Intro: And Breath.. Challenges: #1,#2,#3(FAIL),#4

You don't drown by falling in the water, you drown by staying there.

-Edwin Louis Cole

^^ If you are worried about whether alcohol is a problem the trick is to try going without.  If you can quit it for this challenge then it isn't actually a problem!

M x

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

Haha, glad to you have guys with me.  :)

Well, yesterday overall was a good day.  Worked on rehabbing that shoulder, but it's definitely still sore.  The good thing is that I'm being able to focus on some items that I normally don't focus on, like core, arms, etc...  So while I'm missing out on some of my favorite lifts temporarily, hopefully I'll be building up some weaker areas at the same time.  And it'll give me more time to do cardio!

Today will be two times at the gym, because I'm meeting a friend there after work.  I've got a Kayla leg day today as well, and I'm a bit afraid of what she's going to have me do!

Alcohol: Went and watched hockey with my friends.  Had beer, was tasty.  Had more beer when I got home, which wasn't as good of an idea...  I really need to be stronger.

• Like 2

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

Alright!  Today was pretty sweet so far.

I've eaten perfectly, and I've completed 1 of 2 sessions at the gym.  

Highlight:

8 sets of back squats at 205lbs.  Getting stronger!  We're going to start going super heavy with my legs now to get some strength up.

About to head in for part 2!  

Alcohol: There will be none today, yay!  :) (stupid tasty beer - makin' me fat)

• Like 2

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

Woohoo, new challenge! Great updates to your goals.

I've had way too much beer lately and I think it's done me a disservice. I want my stomach to look amazing, not doughy, damnit!

I agree with xanjra in that I think it might be a good idea to look at the root of your body dimorphism and see if there might be a constructive way to approach it, rather than simply getting leaner and leaner. Something like seeking positive reinforcement and support, rather than focusing on a percentage as the solution for feeling like that in the first place? Reducing body fat % is one of my goals, too, so I'm definitely not knocking it. Feeling like that about your body is no fun.

Woohoo, new challenge! Great updates to your goals.

I've had way too much beer lately and I think it's done me a disservice. I want my stomach to look amazing, not doughy, damnit!

I agree with xanjra in that I think it might be a good idea to look at the root of your body dimorphism and see if there might be a constructive way to approach it, rather than simply getting leaner and leaner. Something like seeking positive reinforcement and support, rather than focusing on a percentage as the solution for feeling like that in the first place? Reducing body fat % is one of my goals, too, so I'm definitely not knocking it. Feeling like that about your body is no fun.

I think you and Xanjra are completely correct.  I'm honestly just not sure what to do!  When I run, I take off my shirt outdoors (even though it's really hard...), and I'm trying to convince myself that I don't care about what other people think.  But I have a very hard time convincing myself when I know it's really not the case...  I always feel like I'm trying to outsmart myself, but since I am myself, that's really not going to work.  :)

Update on gym part 2:

Seated box jumps supersetted with 55lb kettlebell swings!

I did 5 sets of these.  The seated box jumps are a BLAST!  They freak me out every time I do them, I'm so worried I'm going to miss and eat it.  When we do seated box jumps, I'm doing it more for distance than height right now.  I put the box (3ft) about 3-4 feet away (I really need to measure), and jump out and up to it, then jump up again off of it.  It's pretty fun!

Kettlebell swings are great, because they really activate the hips, quads and butt at the same time to get the swing up.  I'm not using my upper body at all when doing the swings, just my lower body and hips thrusting.

I also did 20 minutes of cardio, 10 minutes of running at 6mph and 10 minutes of walking.  I would have liked to run more but my legs were pretty shot.  :)

• Like 2

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

I must look into these seated box jumps a bit of fear to help get the heart pumping may be good

Sent from my nokia 3210

-Edwin Louis Cole

I think you and Xanjra are completely correct.  I'm honestly just not sure what to do!  When I run, I take off my shirt outdoors (even though it's really hard...), and I'm trying to convince myself that I don't care about what other people think.  But I have a very hard time convincing myself when I know it's really not the case...  I always feel like I'm trying to outsmart myself, but since I am myself, that's really not going to work.   :)

Honestly dude, you look great right now (going by the most recent photo you posted). I highly doubt that I'm in the minority in thinking so, too. You're right in that it doesn't matter what others think, but I just don't want you thinking that everyone else sees you the way you see yourself. :)

Thanks Twilight, I appreciate the compliment.   :)  It really is a mental issue for me, and it's something I need to solve.  It's keeping me from doing some things that I want to do, and that's simply not cool.  need to get over it.  It's not anyone else, it's me.   :)  I just have to figure out how to do that!

Ok, weekend update!  

It was a really good weekend, with pretty good diet, and a total of 7.5 miles walking (in 95 degree and humid heat!), so I was overall pleased.  I wanted to run it, but my legs were way too sore, and I don't think I can handle the heat yet.  I tend to run really hot in general (i'm a portable heater), and have a HARD time cooling off.  

I did NOT do as well as I would have liked with alcohol, but I didn't go crazy either.  I had a cooking class with the girl I'm dating, which meant a little wine, and we had some champagne once we got home.  Yesterday I saw Trombone Shorty (who's awesome), and had a few beers during the show.  

This week I intend to NOT really have anything to drink, unless I go out.  Hopefully I won't be going out too much, as I would like to take it somewhat easy this week and focus on good sleep and recovery too.   :)

One interesting note:  My legs have been super sore since last thursdays workout with Kayla.  They're still sore today.  Really, I can't come up with a good reason why they would be THIS sore, considering I've been working them hard for a while.  Hopefully they'll be in good shape for today!

• Like 1

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

Update 6/16:

Good chest and lat workout today.  And diet has been on track.  I subbed a protein drink for a meal though, because my stomach has been bothering me all day.  

Did my shoulder rehab, which was good along with the workout.

Tonight will be booze free, and I'll focus on rest and recovery trying to get to bed at an early hour.  All in all, pretty on track.  

I have noticed I think I'm looking a little sloppier, and my diet hasn't been as strict because I haven't been at home a whole lot.  But even when I'm out, I'm doing my best for damage mitigation on my diet.  And I am adding in at least 2, 2 a day gym workouts, more if I can.

Also, on another note, I'm hearing from everyone that I'm still not eating enough, which may be true.  Going to go back and add in my sweet potatoes.

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

Hey Xahn, sorry I'm late! Your goals look great. I definitely understand your alcohol goal. I know that has been a huge contributor to my weight gain and other bad habits. I can put away a surprising amount for a small lady - a blessing and a curse, lol. It would be nice to get to that place where the default decision is "I'm not drinking tonight" and it takes a conscious decision to have a drink on a given night. I feel like right now it's the other way - I still have to make a conscious decision not to have a drink on a given night. Cleaning up my diet and gaining confidence in my self control and the virtues of healthy mouthal inputs has definitely helped a ton, though.

Keep up your good work this challenge, I'm excited to watch you kill it!

• Like 1

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Re: your sore legs, could it be diet/nutrition-related?

Mmmmm sweet potatoes.

It very well could be.  Though my diet doesn't change all that often.  I did have a couple of bad days in terms of eating though, so perhaps that's it.  Also, I was burning the candle a bit on both ends by staying up late.  I have legs again today, so we'll see how it goes.  They've been consistently worked, so I'm hoping I won't be as sore.

I will say, I did add running in on heavy legs day, which could have easily contributed to the problem.  I've never done that before, but it surprises me if that was the culprit.

And I'm excited about the sweet potatoes.  :)

Hey Xahn, sorry I'm late! Your goals look great. I definitely understand your alcohol goal. I know that has been a huge contributor to my weight gain and other bad habits. I can put away a surprising amount for a small lady - a blessing and a curse, lol. It would be nice to get to that place where the default decision is "I'm not drinking tonight" and it takes a conscious decision to have a drink on a given night. I feel like right now it's the other way - I still have to make a conscious decision not to have a drink on a given night. Cleaning up my diet and gaining confidence in my self control and the virtues of healthy mouthal inputs has definitely helped a ton, though.

Keep up your good work this challenge, I'm excited to watch you kill it!

No worries Kailer, happy to have you here!  I would say alcohol is actually the hardest thing for me as well.  A beer when I get home has turned into a habit.  And I have a lot of different groups of friends who love to go out all at different times.  I love to be social and have a few beers, which ends up being too many days.  Though lately I'm hanging out with some folks who don't drink much, so that's actually a nice change.  

I'll keep on keeping on!  :)  Thanks for the encouragement!

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

Sounds like your settling in to this challenge well you'll have its ass well and truly kicked by the end of it

Sent from my nokia 3210

-Edwin Louis Cole

Sounds like your settling in to this challenge well you'll have its ass well and truly kicked by the end of it

Sent from my nokia 3210

Thanks Chris, I feel like I'll be doing much better after the end of the challenge.  :)

So far I'm doing fairly well I think.  

• Like 1

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

So today has been good.  I got killed by Kayla, and I'm dead tired because of it.  But it was good to be able to make it through the full workout.  We're starting to do A LOT of heavy squats.  Low rep per set count, but high sets.  And I think this will help my legs get where they need to be if I can keep the food going.

Also, tonight will be a no alcohol night, which is great!  

I am having trouble sleeping through the night.  I'm waking up around 2am lately and having a tough time getting back to sleep.  But hopefully that'll go away.  When the body needs to sleep, it will.   :)

Here's my workout below!

Update 6/17:
Kayla Leg Day

Good Morning Warmups:
Set 1: 95 x 8
Set 2: 115 x 8

Front Squats:
Set 1: 95 x 10
Set 2: 135 x 8
Set 3: 185 x 3
Set 4: 185 x 3
Set 5: 185 x 3
Set 6: 185 x 3
Set 7: 185 x 3
Set 8: 185 x 3
Set 9: 185 x 3
Set 10: 185 x 3

NOTE: That was a lot of sets!

Weighted Squat Jumps:
Set 1: 50 x 10
Set 2: 50 x 10
Set 3: 50 x 10

SUPERSETTED WITH:

45lb Plate Overhead Static Lunges:
Set 1: 8reps x each leg
Set 2: 8reps x each leg
Set 3: 8reps x each leg

NOTE: This kicked my ass

Kettle Bell Swings:
Set 1: 72lbs x 8
Set 2: 72lbs x 8
Set 3: 72lbs x 8

SUPERSETTED WITH:

Step Ups:
Set 1: 40 x 6 each leg
Set 2: 40 x 6 each leg
Set 3: 40 x 6 each leg

Overall: Well, Kayla got me again. I felt like I was going to puke a few times, but managed to get through it all. What an incredibly difficult workout! But it was fun. I'm really happy I lived to tell the tale. :)

• Like 2

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

So, I had a thought... (yay me!)

Shotgun Sally sent me a link that sent me to this girls page.

She is focusing on the awesome things that her body can do now, as opposed to what it looks like.

Would that work for you?  Are there a list of awesome things that you could work on, instead of looking sexy?  Muscle ups?  Or that salmon ladder thing?

What screams MANLY at you?

M x

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

Wow, muslce ups and the salmon ladder are both incredible!   :)  I don't think I could do those to save my life!

I will think on what kinds of things are really cool and neat to do physically, and maybe turn that into more of a goal.  Where looking sexy would just be a bi-product of such work.  I like the thought Xanjra, thanks!

BTW, today has been good!  No alcohol last night, and I've gotten in a good rehab workout today.  Also hit a PR on overhead shoulder press, which is really nice - 130lbs.

Update 6/18:

Shoulders and Pull Day:

Shoulder Rotator Rehab:

50 reps of both cross body and rotating up

Overhead Barbell Shoulder Press:

Set 1: Bar - Warm up

Set 2: 95 x 10

Set 3: 115 x 5

Set 4: 115 x 5

Set 5: 125 x 3

Set 6: 130 x 5 - Personal Record

Underhand Barbell Bent-Over Rows:

Set 1: 135 x 10

Set 2: 155 x 8

Set 3: 185 x 6

Set 4: 135 x 8

Dumbbell Hammer Curls:

Set 1: 30 x 8

Set 2: 35 x 8

Set 3: 40 x 8

Set 4: 45 x 6

Seated Cable Wide Grip Rows:

Set 1: 120 x 8

Set 2: 95 x 8

Set 3: 95 x 8

Set 4: 95 x 8

Set 5: 95 x 8

NOTE: The head trainer knows about my shoulder issues, and always gets on me about rolling my shoulders forward.  He made me drop weight, and focus on pulling my shoulderblades together.  It really helped and I'm finding a more steady muscle workout in the back.  I think I'm going to need to really focus more on working my back.

More Rehab:

Lying with my chest on those bouncy balls, I pinched my shoulderblades together and raised my arms back forming a horizontal T.  This got my rear delts, and my rhomboids.  I'm going to do this a lot, as it was super hard and really is training me to keep those rhomboids together!

OVERALL: Certainly not the most physically taxing workout I've ever done, but quite educational.  And it's helping me work towards a more functional me.  I love the strength that I'm gaining, but I also love that I'm starting to work my body more correctly.

• Like 3

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines