Hiroro's First Challenge -- Intrepid Adventurer

Hi, I'm a young prof mechanical engineer fairly new to the forums. In college I was an athlete (sport tae kwon do), but since starting work ~3 years ago my lifestyle has become more sedentary and I've got the pounds to show it. After going from great (though not optimized) shape to unhealthy, I'm starting to work out more again...would love to feel like an athlete again instead of being uncomfortably heavy. As a side note, over the past year or two major digestive issues have driven me to a more paleo-based diet, but I need to clean it up to start losing weight.

I've been reading the blog for ages, which makes me guilty of underpants collecting...but no more!

Main quest: Fit into my old jeans

(I think size 6, currently I'm at size 10/12, so this is a more-than-six-weeks goal) Because I refuse to replace all of my clothing to fit my heavier body, right now a lot of my clothes are too tight. I'm ready to reclaim my wardrobe!

Edit: at the end of the challenge, I would like to fit a size 8.

Subquest #1: Complete training 6 days/week

I've been training on and off for road races and sprint distance triathlons for the past two years, but am terrible at sticking to a training plan. If I stick to the plan, I will be training 6 days a week (rather than two or three as I have been). Mostly run/bike/swim, but after a few weeks of consistent base I'll add in Crossfit for strength and injury prevention. It sounds like a lot, but I can take the tri workouts easy or replace with yoga/walking if necessary. This goal is more about executing on plans than going all-out all the time.

A: 6 days/week B: 4-5 days/week C: 2-3 days/week F: 0-1 days/week

Subquest #2: Go to bed by 11pm every night

At first this was "Sleep 8 hours every night", but establishing a schedule is as important as sleep volume for this little nerd. Being in bed by 11pm allows me 7-8 hours of sleep, and getting up early on weekends makes those free days feel much longer. Time to exchange late night TV for morning weekend workouts, errand runs, etc.

A: 7 nights/week B: 5-6 nights/week C: 3-4 nights/week F: <3 nights/week

Subquest #3: Eat paleo

Though "paleo" can vary in definition, I generally use the Whole30 guidelines as clean paleo. Every time I get off-track, I have been letting myself off the hook for days. If I make a less-healthy decision, my next choice will be a healthy one. I'll allow exceptions for occasions when someone else is controlling the menu, because the point is to get into the habit of cooking healthy food rather than be super strict. Lifestyle, not diet  :peaceful:

A: 90% B: 80% C: 70% D: <70%

Lifequest: Clean house

As a new homeowner, I'm trying to take better care of my house. So over the course of the challenge, I will (x2):

• Vacuum
  • Swiffer
  • Clean toilet
  • Clean counters
  • Tidy the living room, bedroom, kitchen

As part of this lifequest, I also want to eliminate what I don't need. So I will clean out my closet and dresser, donating or selling what I don't use.

A: 100% B: Everything cleaned x1 + clear-out C: Everything cleaned x1 D: Less than that

Motivation: Feel like an athlete again!

This seems vague, but really I want to feel like I can take on any (reasonable) physical challenge at the drop of a hat. Climb the stairs at work without getting winded, sign up for a 5k and try to PR, go on an inter-city bike trip. That regular endorphin infusion regulates my mood and makes me feel like the awesomest version of myself.

• Like 3

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Supah-status #1:

Since I started late, but didn't want to add on to my long intro post.

Day 1: 

• Run, Swim Completed! First double workout in a while, total ~1hr. Realized I need to eat more in the afternoon pre-workout.
  • :sleeping: Check
  • Paleo: Yup I ate mostly Paleo, though dinner included IKEA meatballs which have breadcrumbs. Overall happy with my decisions.

Day 2:

• Bike Completed.
  • :sleeping: Check Had some trouble sleeping, which was odd because I didn't have coffee in the morning...
  • Paleo: Nope Ate fruit-oat bar for breakfast, but gave the rest away. Pizza for dinner...with accompanying mozzarella sticks and flatbread.

This morning my sister texted me to ask if I wanted her size 4 pants (because she's lost weight)...which motivated me to throw out the leftover pizza. So today I'm back on track, I brought my own lunch to work. For breakfast had coffee w/almond milk and a spoon of coconut butter since I'm easing into an IF experiment.

Additional motivation...my upcoming races:

6/29 Sprint tri

8/31 Olympic tri

9/28: Half iron tri

11/1 (Or 10/26): Full marathon

I signed up for these months ago when I was feeling ambitious. Still possible if I execute my training plan, but in case of injury or other setback I can always switch to a shorter distance to avoid hurting myself. Just starting marathon training with TNT, so the group runs should keep me from bailing.

• Like 3

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

I like all your goals and I think you've set it up really nicely. You'll most definitely do great! :D (especially with all those races coming up, that's amazing!)

I'm also experimenting a little with IF, how have you been feeling doing it? 

Level  2 Gnome -who wants to be a Mermaid- Ranger

STR 5 | DEX | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Challenges:  1 |  Current Challenge: Arya Sapphire and the Majora's Mask

''Be brave enough to live life creatively. The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition.'' - Alan Alda

welcome to NF.

You might notice that i've added a Scouts tag to your thread.  This is not so that I can pigeonhole you into a guild (that choice is entirely yours when you "graduate" out at the end of the challenge), but so that you catch the eye of one of their ambassadors because they might be able to offer you advice on your triathlon goal.  They should be able to support, encourage and advice you during your challenge.  Do not wait around for them to come visit you either, why not pop into their Tavern and say hi. I am around to assist you in any way too, so please feel free to drop me a line if you need anything.

Good luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Thanks for all the encouragement! Makes me want to visit some other first-timers' threads and pass on the positive vibes. It's exciting to see how much company there here at Level 1  :rapture:

First, the good stuff:

6/11:

Training--Run + weights (yay NF bodyweight workout)

Sleep-- :sleeping:

Food--Yup

6/12:

Training--Run

Food--Yesss all homemade paleo goodness

It's only the first week, but I really feel like I'm getting into the groove. Fun side effect of eating healthy--not spending as much money! Since I cook my meals and don't waste groceries due to feeling lazy and dining out.

Notes:

Training--My training may not be exactly what I planned for the day, but as long as I do something I'll count it.

Sleep--On the sleep...I'm giving myself a margin of 5-10 min. As long as I'm on the way to bed by 11, it's ok. Because I realized I tend to let it get down to the wire, and rushing through the bedtime routine is not conducive to relaxing.

Food--I had a company-sponsored celebratory dinner, and stuck to salad, roasted meat, and a few bites of dessert. Knowing I needed to run later kept me from making cheesy pasta decisions! The dessert was enough treat for me, without the consequences of cheese (lactose intolerant here). 

The way I'm trying out IF is a semi-Bulletproof approach. 

My schedule is:

8am: coconut butter, coffee w/almond milk

-the Bulletproof approach is butter in your coffee, but I'm drinking cold brew so I accompany with a spoon of coconut butter instead. That gets me the fat, and puts a little solid in my stomach....since my stomach does not like coffee on an empty stomach. 

12pm-ish: lunch at the office, which I usually bring from home. Meat + veggie.

Afternoon: Trying to add in a light meal here, requires planning since I'm at work.

Evening: Work out

Late evening: Cook and eat dinner. Meat + veggie

By the time lunch comes around I'm definitely hungry but I savor the feeling, knowing that I am waiting for my body's message to eat (versus previously when I would eat all day and never get good and hungry).  So far it's felt pretty good, only issue I had was coffee in the morning after I skipped the late evening meal (coffee after 12 hours of empty stomach). I realize this isn't very hardcore IF, since my eating window is still pretty long (12pm-10pm), but I'm still refining. I like to cook my own fresh meals, but it means I don't eat until 8 or 9pm. I avoid snacking except when my meal is delayed.

My favorite thing right now: homemade aioli. I made too garlicky (per the New Spanish Table recipe), but over a couple days it mellowed out and I'm eating it on everything! Roasted chicken, asparagus, burgers, meatballs...when I finish this batch I'll probably make a new one of plain mayo. Makes healthy food taste so indulgent, and adds a dose of fat to lean meats. :triumphant:

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

just popping over to say hi!  :smiley_simmons: your goals are amazing, and all those races coming up! good luck with the training plan!! 

level 2 Hobbit. Assassin-in-training

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 1|WIS 3|CHA 1

Current Challenge: There and back again

Previous Challenges 1 2

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone." Gandalf the Grey

Those are some solid goals, welcome to the group! 

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

It looks like you've got a good approach to your goals here, good luck!

Mmm, I too am a lover of the aioli/homemade mayo in general. I pretty much always have a batch in my fridge - hard boiled eggs and raw veggies see a lot of action when you can coat them in something so delicious!

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Hi there! I’m an Ambassador from the Scouts Guild, we’re all about endurance sports like running, swimming, and cycling. I see you’re interested in running as well! That’s fabulous. If you’d like to meet some other Rebels with similar interests you should come by our Tavern anytime, whether to ask questions or just to say, “hi!” You can get there by following the link in my signature or clicking here.

Best of luck to you in your first challenge – of course I will be stopping by regularly to see how you’re doing.

How did your first week finish up?

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Weekend Update (anybody else miss Seth Meyers?):

6/13:

Training--Bike

Food--Solid. One glass of wine in the evening.

6/14:

Training--Run

Food--Eeeeeep not so great. I ate a crepe (with cheese) and small waffle at brunch. In retrospect my series of mistakes is so clear. I had a morning group training run (7:30am), and didn't eat until reaching the farmer's market at 10am-ish. Being ravenous, I made a very non-paleo choice (which my stomach regretted). Later I looked on the Leangains site and realized that for early morning training days I need to follow a different food schedule (duh). So though I was disappointed at myself for the slip-up, I'll take it as a learning opportunity.

6/15:

Training--Bike, Tennis

Food--On track. 

6/16 (Monday):

Training-Rest dayyyyyy

Sleep--Gah I took my laptop to bed with me and didn't sleep til past midnight.

Food--I caved to my cravings and ate two bowls of popcorn (with cheese, etc) in the evening. After eating it I was super sad realizing I'd have to report it here. Also sad, I waited until my bf left (after I cooked us a healthy salmon and peas dinner) to make it. It would be fine with me if that was a planned treat, but that feeling of shame made it pretty obvious that it was a mistake. 

---------------------------------

Week 1:

Overall I'm happy with the way the first week went. I worked out every day (!!!!!), which is why Monday became a spontaneous rest day. I was not feeling well Monday (migraine-ish), so it felt right. 

Main goal--size 6

I've also lost a couple pounds, and... (drumroll please)...today I'm wearing my size 10 work pants!!! I could squeeze into them before, but now they actually fit. Next goal...lose enough belly so they feel more comfortable sitting down haha. Would love to be able to wear my size 8 jeans by the end of this challenge.

Training: A

Killed it. Started to get worn out near the end of the week, so I'll probably try to condense my workouts and make space for a rest day or two. Seems like doing a run+swim one day and rest the next day is psychologically better for me than a run one day and swim the next. My sprint tri is in less than two weeks, so this would be a bad time to burn out.

Sleep:B

Mostly good. Still some work to do here.

Food:C

There were a few speed bumps, and a few choices that were in my 10%:

-Cheese on my salad. This is salad I make myself, with delicious vinaigrette (fruity white balsalmic is the best). Adding a little goat cheese makes it something I actually enjoy, which is pretty cool for someone historically anti-salad.

-Gluten free crackers. Eventually I'll make my own Paleo ones, but for now the ones I bought at Whole Foods will suffice. I tried cucumber slices with my pate, but it was so meh I went out and bought crackers. Any suggestions for another substitute?

-Glass of wine on Friday night. Though I could really do without this, going forward I'll probably have a drink or two in social situations

-Father's day dinner. I went out with my family, and ate mostly Paleo. Had a little fried rice, and I know there was vegetable oil and soy in the sauces. Worth it to enjoy a family meal.

Side note: I've been watching American Ninja Warrior and So You Think You Can Dance and I'm so inspired by them! Have to space those episodes out going forward (and stop bringing my laptop to bed). Kacy Catanzaro is an inspiration for all women  :pride:

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

I realize my posts tend to be super long, but it seems like the best way to keep a record since I don't write this stuff down.

Another fun thing about the challenge and getting back to Paleo is that I'm starting to make things from scratch again. I'm a kitchen geek so it's so satisfying DIY, just takes some time and planning. Started with mayo, then almond milk to go with my coffee...next up, cold brew coffee, Paleo crackers...maybe Paleo naan since I've been having a major Indian food craving. I think saag paneer with homemade naan would be a great week-end treat!

And I realized I forgot my Lifequest...

Counters: Check! x1

Everything else: Hrmmmmmmm not yet.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

That looks like a great week! I definitely encourage you to make room for rest days.

As for a pate cracker substitute I know it might sound weird, but sometimes I use apple slices under tuna or chicken salad and it's awesome. Otherwise you could always make chips out of kale/plantains/jicama/sweet potatoes etc for a nice pate vehibcle.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

I looooove So You Think You Can Dance - I've got a bunch of PVR'd episodes to get caught up on! I think it's a great source of inspiration - they're such incredible athletes.

Good job on your first week - it looks like you're getting a lot from it already! I've been meaning to try cold-brewed coffee, I really must remember to do it... Let me know how yours turns out!

Level 20

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

So I thought I'd pop in for a quick update because my motivation to do healthy things is flagging like whoa. Which would be pretty weak but it's because I'm consumed by freaking out because all of a sudden the possibility to move from Ohio to California for work fell into my lap. It would be for two years (1.5hrs away from civilization), but I would have to leave in about a month!

6/17:

Training--nope, too tired from the mental panic-excitement

Sleep--yup, but was tired anyhow.

Food-Sort of. Had the gluten-free crackers again, and legumes at lunch (ate at my favorite Mediterranean place since I'll be moving offices at the end of the month...not to Cali, just to a different part of town). They have the best hummus/falafel, and i subbed extra hummus instead of rice, so within my happy protein-full balance.

I'm starting to find myself getting hungry mid-morning (skipping breakfast with IF). Last week the coffee/almond milk + spoon of coconut butter kept me going til lunch, but not this week. Maybe I just need to eat a bigger/fattier dinner. 

Semi-related, my bf decided to try IF also...but took an approach that I think is crazy...called 2+5 or something. 2 days/week he's supposed to only eat 500 cals. ???!!! I know when I first heard about Paleo and IF I thought they were totally nuts, but my skipping breakfast is way different from his eating super little twice a week. With Leangains I plan to still consume 1500-2000cals/day depending on activity level. Have you guys heard of this, and is it for real?

Generally, I'm spending 90% of my time going aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh do i move do i not move what if i move what do i do ack eek bleek! But I'm still mostly on diet so far, resisting the urge to stress eat like it's my job. Cali sounds cool, and I definitely want a change and love to travel...but my friends, parents, and bf are all here. It would be a major adjustment and long distance relationship for two years. I do have relatives in Cali so it would be nice to be near them for a while. Haven't had the energy to work out, I know it would be good stress relief but I get home from work exhausted from being in decision limbo. And if I go my whole summer race schedule is screwed up anyways so training plan is going to change.

Thankfully the decision will be made by next week, though if I go then the whole upheaval of moving will begin. 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Crazy! I know I would have trouble with that decision too - adventure is fun! But long distance relationships are the pits :/ Good luck with making up your mind - I'm sure things will work out either way! Just remember, stress eating will make you feel worse, NOT better!

I know a few people who have done the 5:2 protocol, whatever it's called... I don't think there's anything inherently unhealthy about it, as it would have been a pretty normal state of affairs throughout most of our evolutionary history, blah blah blah. Heh. But I know Matt_72 was doing it, (and did for several months, although I'm not positive whether he still is or not), so if you have any questions he may be able to help. At the very least, he didn't experience any ill effects from it, so I suspect it's harmless enough, although of course YMMV. Um, his profile is here. You can tell him I sent you his way ;P

Level 20

Thanks Fonzico...yup I ate a bunch of noodles yesterday and it really just reminded me that it's not worth it. Falling back into the not enough sleep / unhealthy food / no exercise / too much TV rut is not fulfilling in any way. Thankfully today I have a run date to keep, and the indigestion to deter me from further gluten-full slip-ups.

The bad:

6/18:

Training--nope

Sleep--nope

Food--yikes. Leftovers for lunch, with legumes. Noodles for dinner...even with a fridge full of meat and veggies.

So with all the stress and obsessing/thinking, I considered putting the challenge on hold while I figure out this major career choice. And immediately realized that's a terrible idea. However, I do want to modify my challenge because life happens. I'll be changing my Lifequest from cleaning house to making the career decision/adjustment. Because even if I don't go to California, I'll be starting a new position in the next couple weeks. One big life project at a time! I may just hire out the cleaning job this one time because health + career is filling my brain, and while cleaning can be stress relief (esp with wine), the bugs are coming out this summer and blergh. My limited energy is better spent making career and health decisions/plans. 

Today is back-on-track day. I have the run with a friend planned, so I won't bail on my workout. And I have a lb of ground bison in the fridge impatiently waiting to become burgers. Perhaps with a massaged kale salad.

If nothing else, if I take the Cali position I'll have to focus on using up the food in my fridge, which is mostly Paleo. 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

I think modifying the goals is the way to go. I have crapped out on challenges and always felt bad about it. But I have found that turning to the people I have met on NF has helped with many things. I wish you a better ending to your week. I don't know all of the facts, but I say go for Calf! 

Level 2: Malcontent STR: 3 || DEX: 3 || STA: 6 || CON: 3 || WIS: 3 || CHA: 2

Current Challenge  Challenge 5  Challenge 4   Challenge 3   Challenge 2   Challenge 1

Unfortunately my absence is indicative of the unhealthy-ness which has been going on over here. I know it's an excuse, but the decision process stressed me out to the max, so I was exhausted all the time. Less veggies and exercise, more...cheesy popcorn and wine. I honestly lost track of it all, so I'll probably say mediocre across the board.

Over the last few days I've had the tough conversations, so I think I'm past the worst of the career stress. My IBS reminded me that when I'm stressed I really don't need to compound the issue with poor diet choices :P

Saturday I biked (!) to the farmer's market for meat and produce. It's a big win for me because biking on the road terrifies me, but I know that driving a mile or two when the weather is great is just ridiculous. Biking my errands will help me be more comfortable on the bike, in better shape, and save gas money. Also, it limits me to how much I can fit in my backpack...markets are my weakness. This weekend I also prepped all of the veggies I bought, which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing I'm way closer to fresh-cooked broccoli/kale/cabbage on weekdays.

The last few days I ate out for lunch...so not Paleo. But this morning I packed my leftovers for lunch (bison burger/peas+prosciutto/kale) and my energy this afternoon is miles better. 

I've also been adding butter and coconut oil to my morning coffee a la Bulletproof method, and really enjoying it. I find I still get pretty hungry over the course of the morning, but I think the unhealthy day-before eating is contributing. 

If nothing else, I'm still making my Saturday runs (marathon for charity will do that), and today is back-on-track day since I'm meeting my Thurs running buddy.

This morning I had a mini-revelatory moment...I fall off the health wagon and climb back on countless times. And I'm happy I'm not letting the bad decisions compound any more today. But there really are no do-overs...I can never replace the days that I make poor choices, because I only get one chance at each day. That may sound sort of depressing, but it really isn't. All I can do is try my best, recognizing that I can't change what happened yesterday or make up for it, only choose to do better today. The ideal mindset is to accept the setbacks that have happened and learn from them, rather than pre-forgiving myself...eating junk food while telling myself I'll do better tomorrow.

Remembering that how I feel when I wake up is a product of choices days before only emphasized how important it is to put in the effort. I want to wake up tomorrow feeling awesome because I will have eaten well, worked out, and gone to bed early today! 

Planning a couple-mile run, and salad + meatballs for dinner (~90% Paleo day, a little goat cheese on the salad and breadcrumbs in the IKEA meatballs.)

At this point I'm pretty sure I'm moving to California in a month, so until then my whole life is probably going to revolve around getting ready. Eek!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

The move sounds exciting!! I'm really great that you've been taking time to think about your choices - I agree that mindset and being self-aware are very important parts of succeeding AND of staying sane while you do so! Keep up your great work and keep paying attention to your choices and their effects.

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

While falling off the wagon sucks, at least you learned something from it - and came to a level of awareness about your choices and how your body feels. That's a big thing to learn - and a great step in ensuring that you'll stick with this 'whole healthy thing.' 

• Like 1

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines