Okay so I lied, it wasn't a galaxy far, far away, it was just this one. And while we're at it, it really wasn't that long ago either, I'm only 28 after all!

It does however seem like a lifetime ago that I used to dance. Ballet, and then Ballroom after falling in love watching the pro's waltz around big halls in all their feathered and spangled glory. Ahh afternoon television, how you've changed. But alas, it just wasn't as cool as hanging around town doing nothing with your mates, and so the young teenage me quit.

Fast forward fifteen years later and switching street corners for sessions on multitudes of MMO's and RPG's, I find myself with a few too many lbs that need shifting and the strength of a wet noodle (unless you count my mouse finger, that thing's a beast!)

It was roughly a year ago that I decided something had to be done about it. I wasn't particularly happy and I'm well aware that I actually enjoy excersing. Unless it's running. Been there, tried that and a runner I do not make. Full of good intentions I signed up to a good gym I'd been a member of years before, along with a friend of mine in the same boat. Things were good at first. We would swim 40 lengths 3 times a week, and soon I managed to persuade her to set foot in the actual gym and we got ourselves a trainer.

The problem was, despite telling him I wanted to get strong, my friend wasn't sure what she wanted other than she wouldn't do it without me. And I was okay with that because I have social anxiety and I'd rather not be alone either. So our trainer, bless him, gave us a mix of cardio on the machines and 3 reps of strength exercises using weird 6kg rubber tube...things. It was fine for a while until friend went on holiday. And then went on holiday again. And again. You see where I'm going with this?

As previously said, I have social anxiety so when she wasn't there, neither was I. A week soon turned into a month and then most of winter. The lbs crept up again and I got desparate. Come January I announced we were going to start Zumba. There were loads of classes running and I'd heard good things about it.

Oh. My. Gosh. For the first time in years I was flailing my arms and flicking my legs in ways I hadn't had to since my dancing days. And it relighted that spark in me, that passion I hadn't felt in years. One day a week turned into five. One dance aerobics class turned into two and a burlesque class. I can safely say I feel more at home in a studio with a sprung floor and a wall of mirrors than I do in my own house now. I even go alone, anxiety be damned!

But I realise that it's mostly cardio and a lot of cardio eats muscle as well as fat, and I don't want that! (Hey look, I rhyme :playful: ) I've had people tell me that I should cut back on the cardio but noooope, not happening. So I'm guessing that means upping my game with the weights. I still have noodle arms, but I have managed to double the weight I can manage. Problem is I can't afford a trainer anymore and have no idea where to go from here.

I've poked around here some and from what I can gather I fall in with the assassins, so I'll say hello, even though I can't join you guys until I've completed a challenge. And a big hello everyone else too, because yeah, let's be friends! Anyway, sorry for the huge long rambling introduction and I'm sure I'll see you around!

• Like 1

DancingRose

Wood Elf / Adventurer and aspiring Assassin

Level 0

First Challenge