The Legend of Will 5: Embracing my Dreams

- Will -

No fighting of balrogs?

Ha ha! Not yet, but once I get a Goron Tunic, I'll head to the nearest fire themed temple, and go kick it's butt :D

Fighting giant monsters! WOO :highly_amused:

• Like 2

[ Battle Log: - THE LEGEND OF WILL - ]

Spoiler

"I can change the future!"

- Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles

"I still don't know what I should do. What [he's] doing isn't for his own gain. He walks the path he believes in, one step at a time. Wishing only for the happiness of those around him. I, on the other hand... I thought I didn't have a path that I could take laid out before me. But like he said, that's just running away. I must find my own path."

- Fei from Xenogears

"A life of adventure awaits those with the courage to step beyond their comfort zones."

- Hylian Dan from The Philosophy of The Wind Waker

Week Three: Setting Sail

• (Saturday-Thursday - 6/21-26/14) Days Thirteen - Eighteen: Lots of procrastinating and getting ready
    • Notes: Well, can't remember what happened well enough to give an accurate and detailed update, but I do know I've been getting ready / procrastinating on the trip, so yeah, that was fun. Anyways moving on.

Spoiler

"I still don't know what I should do. What [he's] doing isn't for his own gain. He walks the path he believes in, one step at a time. Wishing only for the happiness of those around him. I, on the other hand... I thought I didn't have a path that I could take laid out before me. But like he said, that's just running away. I must find my own path."

- Fei from Xenogears

"A life of adventure awaits those with the courage to step beyond their comfort zones."

• (Friday - 6/27/14) Day Nineteen: The night before...

• PLP 50: Complete (yeah, I got 48 and 49 done before, just not listed)

• Sleep: 10:38pm

Notes: Well, today has been an interesting day: got the last two tests for the GED done, and passed both (Social Studies with honors too; don't know how the hell that happened, but whatever, I'll take it :lol:) so that's out of the way! No more GED to weigh on my mind! Then did my 50 pull-ups in the trails, came home, did the 50 push-ups and lunges and rested. Oh, and two days ago I got this wool shirt from REI (super comfy and light weight), and I've been able to wear it for the past three days without it smelling bad at all (even through workouts)! Definitely gona' use it while traveling (you know, just in case I don't have access to a washing machine for a few days or whatever). I find that my shirts start to smell bad within hours of me putting them on, and I eventually found out it's because the majority of the shirts I own are made synthetic polyester stuff, and apparently due to the nature of the fabric, it'll start to smell bad fast. But this wool stuff doesn't smell at all, which is awesome! Gah, went off on a tangent; anyways, my Mom and Sister threw me a one-day-early Birthday party so that was nice (Thanks you two :D ). But yeah, I'm heading off tomorrow! Setting sails for the seas of adventure! Woo! I'll make sure to update as often as possible, and leave at least one picture a day of where I've been and stuff. "Aright! Adventure, yeaaaah!"

• Like 2

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WILL!

53b0e521d83073d621fa1d9fc6d2a571bf605633

Happy B-Day ! :tongue:

Daww, thanks you two :redface-new:

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

Happy birthday!  Hope it's awesome!!!!

Thanks Forkboy :D

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

• (Saturday - 6/28/14 - 19th Birthday) Day Twenty:
    • Sleep: 10:00pm
  • Notes: Whew, today was a long day. Woke up around 5am because the sun was shining on my face, and finally rolled out of bed around 7. Got dressed and packed my stuff. Unfortunately, I didn't get ready in time for breakfast, but at least I got some bacon (yum). My Mom drove my sister and I down to the train station and we proceeded to wait for it (it was running late). Once it arrived, I told my Mom and little sister I loved them and that I'd see them soon. Once on, I waved bye until I couldn't see them anymore. The ride to Portland down was pleasant for the most part (got a small headache because of no breakfast, but thankfully, Mom packed some food for me to munch on during the ride down), and I was enjoying myself all the way up until I reached the hotel. Once in my room, I started to feel a bit lost. I don't know, I guess that must have been when it dawned on me that I'm here alone. So I'm dealing with mixed emotions, but hey, I bet Link didn't feel too well after being tossed into an unfamiliar island, and his only companion being a talking boat. So I will continue on!
Pictures: I took a few pictures but I must have the settings up too high, because they're HUGE. I'll fiddle with the camera a bit more tomorrow and see what I can do. But here's one Well, apparently, they're too big to upload, so I guess I'll be posting pictures on Sunday. See you all then.
  • Like 1

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

Have fun storming the castle on your first practice trip! :)

Did you make plans for Portland, or will you play it by ear this time?

Any NF rebels in the area available for a spontaneous meetup?

Thanks! I'm feeling a weird sensation of excitement, and fear. Fun stuff :D

Nope, not really. Just playing it by ear. I didn't see any threads for NF meetups in Portland either, and I feel it might be a little late to make one, considering I'm already here (and only for a few days). Oops. I guess next time I travel, I'll make a post there earlier. But maybe I still have time for making a Newport meetup... I'll see what I can do on that one.

• Like 1

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

• (Sunday - 6/29/14) Day Twenty-one: Gaining courage
    • Sleep: 10:40pm
    • Notes: Well today was fun! I was feeling really scarred, being in a new place, all by my self for a while, but around 11:30, I stepped out of the hotel, equipped with just what I could fit in my backpack, and went off. As I traveled the city, I came across many different people, and decided to step out of my comfort zone a bit and say hi. Just a quick hello was it for most encounters, but still, that's more then I've done before. It was quite interesting and fun just walking around and taking in the sights. As I continued on, I began to feel a bit more confident: the smile that I was forcing on my face earlier began to just come naturally. It was awesome! And not only that, but the feelings of being scared, alone, and homesick began to melt away with every step. Now, I'm still a little freaked out, but no where near as bad as before. I'm starting to feel like I can handle this whole "adventuring" thing now :pride:
    • Pictures:
      • Portlan's river

Bell

Some pointy galss things

Pathway

Another Pathway

Super Tall Building

• Like 2

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

Awwwwwwww darn.  :(

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY Will!!!  :)

So sorry I missed that.

love the pictures and updates, kinda feels like we're getting to join you! :)

It does sound like fun, and I'm really proud of you and impressed at your stepping out of your comfort zone.

Continue to be awesome my friend! 

• Like 2

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Awwwwwwww darn.   :(

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY Will!!!   :)

So sorry I missed that.

love the pictures and updates, kinda feels like we're getting to join you! :)

It does sound like fun, and I'm really proud of you and impressed at your stepping out of your comfort zone.

Continue to be awesome my friend! 

Daww, thanks Ash :redface-new:

And don't worry about missing it, just glad you could make it now :welcoming:

Glad you like the pictures! I wasn't sure if they where any good or not, so that makes me feel better :nevreness:

Thanks! It's a bit scary at times, but like I said before, it's getting better! Gaining courage FTW :triumphant:

I shall :pride:

Thank you, my friend :D

• Like 2

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

Awesome stuff.  Keep us updated.  I loved Portland, I was just there about a month ago.  Some of my favorite stuff was bad food though, so not sure where you are on that topic but Voodoo Donuts and all the food truck vendors were fun.  The Japanese Garden and the Rose Garden right next door are both really worth seeing if you can spring for it.  Enjoy your travels!

• Like 1

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

Awesome stuff.  Keep us updated.  I loved Portland, I was just there about a month ago.  Some of my favorite stuff was bad food though, so not sure where you are on that topic but Voodoo Donuts and all the food truck vendors were fun.  The Japanese Garden and the Rose Garden right next door are both really worth seeing if you can spring for it.  Enjoy your travels!

Oops, been a bit busy (lazy) these past few days. I've done plenty of exploring, so I'll get those updates up soon, along with pictures :D

As for food, I mainly just went to Safeway and Subway. Tried to stay away from vendors and restaurants, to keep myself on track with the budget, and to have an easier time eating paleo.

For the gardens, missed them, but maybe I can see them on the return trip. I'm in Newport as of now (arrived yesterday). Newport is really beautiful, so I'll do my best to take some awesome pictures of it :D

• Like 3

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

• (Monday - 6/30/14) Day Twenty-two: Exploring the vast ocean
    • Sleep: 11:30pm
    • Notes: Walked around a lot again today! Fist I ran off to Subway for breakfast (salad with double meat; yum :lol:), and then to the store to get myself some fruits, nuts, and veggies. Walked back to my hotel, ate, and messed around on my computer for a little bit, but decided I needed to go out exploring eventually; so I packed my bag with what I needed and went off! Once on the road, I decided to explore the opposite side of the city this time. As I was walking, like yesterday, I tried to say hi to as many people as I could, and for most encounters, it went well. Only one was uncomfortable, where some creepy weirdo said I looked good, so I promptly decided to walk faster. Once I was down a few blocks, I looked behind me, and I wasn't being followed, so I decided I could go back to waking normal again. One thing I noted while traveling is that barely anybody says hi to passing strangers. Unless the other person is known, I didn't really see anyone reaching out and just giving a friendly hello. To me, it looked like it could become easy to feel lonely in a crowd of people, especially when most won't even hold eye contact for more than half a second before moving on. So I hope that by having said hi to strangers along my walk, I was able to brighten up someone's day, if even a little :)
    • Pictures:
      • Building and sky

Building and sky 2

Building and sky 3

Art Wall

Pointy castle thing

Top of someone's house, plus buildings in the background, plus a title describing what's going on in the picture because I can't come up with a better title.

Bridge

Bridge 2

Building and sky 4

• Like 2

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

• (Tuesday - 7/1/14) Day Twenty-three: Arriving on a familiar Island
    • Sleep: 12:00am
    • Notes: Well, today I woke up to find the clothes I had washed had all dried except for my sweat pants. I soon began to hand dry them with a blow-dryer, and managed to dry them all the way down to the cuffs. I felt that was good enough, because my socks would keep the wet part away from my skin, so it wouldn't feel to weird. I then promptly packed all my stuff, and ran as fast as I could to the train station to catch the bus down to Albany. After I arrived a sweaty mess, I found where the bus was and got on. The ride down was quite enjoyable, and the sights of passing mountain ranges were beautiful! Once in Albany, I decided to take some pictures while waiting around. Then once the next bus came, I hopped on and went on down to Newport! The bus station that I was dropped off at was on the opposite side of town than where I was staying, so I grabbed my iPod, and began to run with my heavy pack. The run was quite difficult, and I had to stop to walk a few times, but it was worth it to make it over to my friend's house :D
    • Pictures:
      • Albany's Clock Tower

Bubbly water rocks

Albany's Clock Tower and Flowers

Panorama of the station

Picture of the station

Albany's Clock Tower again

• Like 2

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

• (Wednesday - 7/2/14) Day Twenty-four: People are getting sick

• Sleep: 1:30am

• Notes: Well, after going out to celebrate my friend getting a job at Safeway yesterday, he woke up today with food poisoning. I decided to stay home to make sure he was ok, and his girlfriend kept an eye on him too. To help out, I ran to the store to pick up some food he could eat (along with some food for me, so I wouldn't eat all their food), and ran back. Other than that, not much happened. 

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

• (Thursday - 7/3/14) Day Twenty-five: People are getting better

• Sleep: 11:30pm

• Notes: Well, today it seems that my friend is getting much better. His girlfriend got sick too, but both of them seem to have made a full recovery by the end of the day. I stayed at the house and played video-games all day in order to make sure I was around in case they needed anything. Looks like I'll be exploring tomorrow :D

• Like 2

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

Challenge wrap-up time!

Ok, so, let’s get the summary up first, then the grades. Ready? GO!

So, First I arrived in Portland confident and ready to face this adventure head on, but I found that once I made it to my hotel room, I found the all my courage faded away into fear. After it dawned on me that I only had myself to rely on though, some of that courage came back. I knew that there was no food, and if I didn’t get any, I’d starve, so I put on my backpack and went out. Once I made it back, and had myself some dinner, I went off to bed. The next two days went great, for my courage had resurfaced in full. I had fun enjoying the sights as I walked around and talking to strangers. As I continued on, I began to feel like I was making huge positive strides.

But once I made it to Newport, things changed. As I found myself at my friend’s house, I began to lose that adventurous spirit. Many days where spent sitting around, doing nothing but messing around on the computer, and many night where spent up late, missing out on precious sleep (I did WANT to sleep, but everyone stayed up so late, that it made getting to bed early quite difficult). I began to worry if all the progress I had made over the past few days was nothing more than an illusion; had I really even grown at all? Although I enjoyed spending time with my friend, and getting to know his roommates, I was relieved when the house that my family owns down there was open for me to stay there.

Once I made it to the house however, I felt a deep sense of loneliness. Surrounded by familiar sights and sounds, I was reminded of time past, but empty now. That was soon replaced my happiness once my friend, CheesyFeline, arrived. After a quick walk to the store for food, he told me he could stay the night, so we resolved to head out on an adventure in the morning (it was getting close to night time, and we just wanted to hang out first [i.e. watch funny videos and South Park until our stomachs hurt from laughter]).

After morning came, and we both got some food in our stomachs, we grabbed whatever we thought we’d need, and set out. We explored for quite some time, just walking around Newport, talking about whatever came to mind; it was a blast!

That night he had to go back home, because he had work tomorrow, so I waved bye and went back inside. The loneliness began to creep back up throughout the following days, and nostalgia took a hold of my heart. It wasn’t until the final day I was there in Newport that my adventurous spirit came back.

Slowly I began to relies that I NEEDED to feel uncomfortable and sad during the time that I did to learn the lessons I had just fully realized: My past is nothing more than a dream now, and that it’s ok to move on; the winds of change never stop blowing, so I might as well catch them in my sails and move forward. I’ll always hold all those memories close to my heart, but I want to live for the future now!

You see, while I was in Portland, I felt this grand sense of adventure! I was sent into unknown lands, and had nobody but myself to rely on, so I quickly became very self-reliant, and it felt great, amazing actually! It was empowering and freeing to know that I could rely on myself. I felt like myself, and for the first time in a while, that was a good thing, because I knew I could rely on myself to do what I wanted and needed to do! But once I was back in my old home, feelings of longing for times that have long since passed began to cloud my mind. But as I’ve written before (not on this thread, but somewhere else when talking to some friends): “I guess I just keep expecting that every time I come here, I'll wake up the next day and be six again, and everything will be like it once was, but I also realize that's not what I want. Some part of me longs for those days to come back again, but the rest of me realizes that it couldn't ever be the same, because I've grown since then. The world of my childhood was so, so small, and that was fine back then, because I didn't really need any more than that. But if I were to go back, I know feel I'd feel trapped and claustrophobic, because I've begun to see how vast the world can be.

It feels like after the ending of Ocarina of Time, when Link is sent back to his childhood to relive the 7 years he lost. He can't just go back to the forest, his old home, and have things be the same; the world around him may have gone back to what it once was, but he's changed on the inside, he's grown. So he sets off on his adventure in Majora's Mask. That's how I feel right now. I see all these familiar sights, hear these familiar sounds, and smell these familiar smells, but I just isn't the same anymore. It may be the same in some places, but I'm not anymore. I need to let go of the past, and I'm starting to learn how, because I want to live for the future.â€

I’ve learned that I really have grown since I was a kid, and it’s ok to let my past stay behind me as I look towards the future. And that travel is a huge confidence booster, and helps me learn about myself, so I should keep doing it as often as possible!

--

Ok, now onto my grades. This time I’ll be doing this a little differently. Since my only real goal was to get outside my comfort zone and go on my first adventure, I’ll give myself an A. it didn’t go perfect, and that was the whole point: not turning tail just because I was scared and things weren’t going my way. I trudged on, even when I felt like shit, so I’m proud of myself for that.

So, if I get the whole 15 points, where does it go then? Well, I guess I’ll distribute it based on where I feel I grew during this adventure of mine:

• Charisma: 5
• Wisdom: 5
• Stamina: 2
• Strength: 2
• Dexterity: 1

The reason I still get points for physical stuff (Stamina, Strength, Dexterity) is because carrying that backpack was quite difficult, but as time went on, I began to have an easier and easier time hauling my stuff around. The weight of my backpack filled with my stuff was the same, so I guess I was getting stronger! Woo, improvement!

So, to wrap it all up, I’m glad that I took this trip. I’ve learned a lot about myself, and I feel much more courageous then I ever have! But the adventure doesn’t end here! No, this is only the beginning! There is still much for me to learn, and much for me to improve! The world is vast, and I’m ready to see it!

--

Do you feel that? The winds of change are blowing. It’s time to set sail to new lands!

• Like 2

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

Great summary! :encouragement:

Looking forward to more awesomeness! :)

Thanks Swampling :D

More awesomeness on the way :pride:

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines