• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phoenix Burning

Phoenix Burning and the Pursuit of Happyness

I'm baaaack.....

Without launching into a long tirade of why I withdrew from challenges and what I've done (or not) in the interval, I'm going to ignore all of that and start fresh.

Me now:

need-help.gif

Me, as I'd like to be:

lady-parkour-o.gif

I want to be an awesome mom.  I don't just want to "keep up" with my kids, I want to inspire them.

My goals:

1.  MovNat Beginner Movements of the Day (MOD) twice a week (preferably Mon/Thurs, but not fixed)

2.  Interval training/sprints once a week (Saturday probably best)

3.  Attend at least ONE aerial yoga/dance class this challenge.

4.  Stop eating stuff that makes me fat and sluggish (which, in general, means wheat and sugar).  I'm aiming for an 80/20, here, which would mean eating wheat/sugar no more than 4 times/week.

IF 5 days a week: meaning 16 hour fast, 8 hour window for eating.  Ideal time seems to be 11am-7pm, but I'm not going to get hung up over it if it slides and hour or two in either direction, so long as I stick to 8 hours.

Already did the MOD for today, so...let us begin.

Edited by Phoenix Burning
  • Like 2

FIRST ONE TO POST!!!

*dances*

:D:D:D

So glad to see you here again! I'm sure you are amazing with your kids, but it is awesome of you to want to be MOAR for them. :)

Hitchhikers-Guide-Galaxy_l.jpg

Totes Hitching a ride on your thread :D

• Like 1

*************   This is a semi automatic message from your future ex robotic guild leader     ********************

Hello! I just noticed that you haven't submitted the Assassin sign-up form.

For those of you new to the guild - this form allow us to list all the members of the guild that use our sign-up sheet, it makes our work easier and allows you to be registered in the phonebook or eligible for the most wanted list! (Please note, this is not the general sign-up, this is an additional sign up for our guild only.)

If it's not done already, make sure to subscribe to the announcement thread to make sure you won't miss any events or informations.

*************   This was a semi automatic message from your future ex robotic guild leader ********************

FIRST ONE TO POST!!!

*dances*

:D :D :D

So glad to see you here again! I'm sure you are amazing with your kids, but it is awesome of you to want to be MOAR for them. :)

Hitchhikers-Guide-Galaxy_l.jpg

Totes Hitching a ride on your thread :D

Congratulations!  For being our first customer, you win a new CAR!  Tax, title, and tags not included.

CarRevsDaily-COLORS-Turntable-Animation-

SECOND ONE TO POST!

Flight of the Phoenixes now begins!

I don't know why, but I first read that as "Fight of the Phoenixes (Phoenix?Phoenices?)", and was all "Oh, it's on!"  Maybe because you're a monk.  And I'm an assassin.  And we're all fighty like that.

PFC_LOGO.jpg

I. Am. So. Excited. You. Are. Back.

And I am back.

*squee*

tumblr_mlmdsrzTTj1r5lqojo3_500.gif

*************   This is a semi automatic message from your future ex robotic guild leader     ********************

Hello! I just noticed that you haven't submitted the Assassin sign-up form.

For those of you new to the guild - this form allow us to list all the members of the guild that use our sign-up sheet, it makes our work easier and allows you to be registered in the phonebook or eligible for the most wanted list! (Please note, this is not the general sign-up, this is an additional sign up for our guild only.)

If it's not done already, make sure to subscribe to the announcement thread to make sure you won't miss any events or informations.

*************   This was a semi automatic message from your future ex robotic guild leader ********************

Yes, Madam.

• Like 1

I woke up starving this morning, and the only thing that sounded appetizing was the blueberry muffins I made (but did not consume) for my kids last night.  Soooo...I refused to eat until I could think of something else.  After two hours, I decided I could live with eggs and bacon and a green smoothie.  I feel good about that decision.

• Like 1

I don't know why, but I first read that as "Fight of the Phoenixes (Phoenix?Phoenices?)", and was all "Oh, it's on!"  Maybe because you're a monk.  And I'm an assassin.  And we're all fighty like that.

PFC_LOGO.jpg

I'm game!  MORTAL KOMBAT! Dun dun dun, dundundun dun dun....

I woke up starving this morning, and the only thing that sounded appetizing was the blueberry muffins I made (but did not consume) for my kids last night.  Soooo...I refused to eat until I could think of something else.  After two hours, I decided I could live with eggs and bacon and a green smoothie.  I feel good about that decision.

Good food choice!  What was in the green smoothie?

I'm game!  MORTAL KOMBAT! Dun dun dun, dundundun dun dun....

Good food choice!  What was in the green smoothie?

Bring it.

6 oz pineapple juice, some kale I had blanched and frozen, and a quarter of a frozen banana.  A tad sugary, but my rule is, if it doesn't make me crave more, it's ok.  And while I enjoy it, I never go back for seconds on green smoothies.

I woke up starving this morning, and the only thing that sounded appetizing was the blueberry muffins I made (but did not consume) for my kids last night. Soooo...I refused to eat until I could think of something else. After two hours, I decided I could live with eggs and bacon and a green smoothie. I feel good about that decision.

I'm amazed at how frequently I feel starving and can't think of anything that sounds remotely consumable at the time. This usually results in saltine crackers. Your breakfast sounds much healthier!
  • Like 1

I ran my intervals on Saturday, but kept the session relatively brief because 1) I haven't run in a while and didn't want to overdo and 2) my knee felt a little wonky from where I banged it on something and it was bruised and mildly swollen.  Felt good to det out there again for a bit, though.

I discovered that potato salad and rice pudding are binge trigger foods.  I think I have used up my 20% for the week.  Good thing a new one starts tomorrow!

• Like 2

Yesterday was Father's Day.  *sigh*  I started out with big aspirations to recover from the binge-fest on Saturday.  I had eggs and bacon and pineapple juice for breakfast.  Then, my husband announced his intention to take us all to Cracker Barrel to celebrate, well, himself.  There was no way I was going to Cracker Barrel and not ordering pancakes.  I rationalized that it was a special occasion and I could make a small exception.  Idiot.  When we arrived, the line was far too long for my impatient family, so after much deliberation and ridiculous gas consumption driving to various equally occupied restaurants, we decided to try this little sports bar that actually had an open parking space.  Like, one.  The menu was fantastic, with little icons that actually indicated which items were inherently gluten free or which they were willing to adapt to be gluten free.  I'm in like Flint, right?  No.  Having already decided I would cheat today, I ordered a sandwich.  It was boring, bland, definitely NOT WORTH IT.  I at least gave up on the bread toward the end, but really, what a waste.  After lunch, we realized we had ended up within blocks of a bakery owned by the Cupcake Wars' only Triple Crown winner.  In layman's terms, literally the best cupcakes in the world.  I mean, do you say no to that?  Clearly I don't.  I ate two mini cupcakes then and two in the evening, after a plate of nachos, naturally.  In all honesty, four mini cupcakes is probably only 1.5 regular ones, but still.  I really could have stopped after one and been content with my choice.  I'm okay with small cheats, but the binges have to stop.  Today.  Now.  This minute.

End rant.

So to wrap up "Week One" or "Week .5" in my case:

I really only did a 50% binge-free food instead of 80%.  D

I got in my one MovNat for the half week A

and my sprints A

No aerials this week N/A

What did I learn about myself this week?

MovNat is cool and I like the workouts.

Slow and steady build up with the sprints.

Potato salad is a binge-triggering food.

Rice with sugar in it is not okay.

Small "cheats" have to stay small or not at all.

When given an option to avoid a cheat without sacrificing pleasure, take it.

Today, I wasn't even hungry until about noon, so I didn't eat breakfast.  I figure intermittent fasting is a good way to deal with all the junk I ate this weekend anyway.  I'm planning on baked chicken and sauteed kale for lunch to further cleanse my system.  Delicious, delicious penance.

I knocked out my MOD for today (a new one hadn't been posted by workout time, so I did this archived workout):

Warm Up Mobility – (2 rounds)
Tall Half-Kneeling to Kneeling – 5x
Kneeling to Lateral Half Kneeling – 5x
Deadhang – 10sec

Skill
Vertical Jump – 25x

Combo – (3 Rounds)
Foot Hand Crawl – 20ft
Leg Swing Jump – 10x – 3ft
Deep squat – 10x

I realized when I looked back at the video that I had done the lateral half kneeling thing wrong.  Oops.  I guess I know better for next time.  I was flummoxed as to what to deadhang from in my backyard and ultimately opted for an awkward one from the fence.  Adapt, right?  For the vertical jump, I just did that onto a 12" step.  At first, I didn't know if I could even jump that high, but I made it.  The landings were very jarring, though, until I started thinking about trying to land as quietly as I could.  I noticed an immediate improvement; my knees would bend more to absorb the impact.  In a similar vein, I had to pay close attention to my landings on the leg swing jump, too.  Those left me out of breath and I got sloppy toward the end.  Doing the foot hand crawl (similar to a bear crawl, but bending the knees more to keep a flat back, closer to the ground, not butt up in the air) I paid special attention to how my elbows were rotated to prevent THAT injury from rearing its ugly head again (thank you, GMB's Jarlo for that tip!)  All-in-all, a good workout.  The general heat outside was greatly ameliorated by my son playfully spraying me with the hose when he was supposed to be filling the pool.

Look out, kale, here I come!

• Like 2

I hear you on the small cheats becoming not-so-small.  Better to at least acknowledge the fact than try to claim you're impervious to it, right?  Just back up onto things and sally forth.

But that workout looks awesome!  And MovNat - kinda want to do some of those things.  I think I found NF though a blog link about MovNat back like 2 years ago.  Amazing how time flys...

Anyway, give us updates on your aerial dancing tonight!

• Like 1

I hear you on the small cheats becoming not-so-small.  Better to at least acknowledge the fact than try to claim you're impervious to it, right?  Just back up onto things and sally forth.

But that workout looks awesome!  And MovNat - kinda want to do some of those things.  I think I found NF though a blog link about MovNat back like 2 years ago.  Amazing how time flys...

Anyway, give us updates on your aerial dancing tonight!

I've been eyeing MovNat for a while as being pretty close to what I aspire to:  it's getting outdoors and exploring the environment through a lot of venues: swimming, running, jumping, climbing, lifting, throwing, catching, and even fighting.  I like that it's both all and none; as in, deadlifts might be part of an MOD, but that's followed by crab walks, not...oh yeah, MOAR lifts.  The variety appeals to my short attentio...what were we talking about?  I've done several workouts now (in random intervals) and I really like it.  Not saying it's for everyone (because the best workout is the one you will do), but it's worth looking into if it appeals to you at all.

• Like 1

Good getting back on track after not making the best ffod choices over the weekend. It is so tough trying to allow yourself some treats but then not going overboard

I've been forgetting about the elbow rotation, I need to make sure my elbows are rotated when I am doing frog jumps

• Like 1

That DOES sounds like an awesome workout! Like fun awesome. I'm going to have to tell my sister about that.....it sounds like it is her style. ;)

Sorry about the binge. Man, It really looks like you learned a ton about yourself this week though! (NO POTATO SALAD!! ;)) Welp, knowing is half the battle! It looks like you have a good attitude about it and are ready to hit it hard core this week!

HUZZAH!!!

(YAY SILKS!!!!xD)

• Like 1

Aerial dance class was fantastic!  I am so in love with this workout.  But holy insta-DOMS, Batman!  My arms feel like limp noodles.  I felt like I did really well, especially since I kept hearing quiet "wow"s behind my back whenever the instructor told me to do something.  After a few times of that happening, I asked what was going on.  Apparently, newbs are expected to flop around, fall off, act frustrated, and finally get it on the third or fourth try.  I got it one.  (Virtually) Every time.  Not saying it was graceful, but I got it.  The only one I didn't get at all two thirds of the class could not do (it's essentially a back flip), so I attribute that to A Hard Move, not Can't-Get-My-Fat-Uncoordinated-Ass-Up-Itis.  Can't get the smile off my face; can't got to sleep.  Can't wait to go back; can't believe it won't be for at least two weeks.

• Like 5

Good getting back on track after not making the best ffod choices over the weekend. It is so tough trying to allow yourself some treats but then not going overboard

I've been forgetting about the elbow rotation, I need to make sure my elbows are rotated when I am doing frog jumps

The little things are so important.  "The devil is in the details".  Little cheats and little things like elbow rotation make a big difference.

That DOES sounds like an awesome workout! Like fun awesome. I'm going to have to tell my sister about that.....it sounds like it is her style. ;)

Sorry about the binge. Man, It really looks like you learned a ton about yourself this week though! (NO POTATO SALAD!! ;)) Welp, knowing is half the battle! It looks like you have a good attitude about it and are ready to hit it hard core this week!

HUZZAH!!!

(YAY SILKS!!!!xD)

MovNat.com is awesome.  The Our Journal tab lists MODs by difficulty level with short videos of each exercise so it's clear what to do.  I could see Devlyn liking that.  She's an assassin-type.

Super yay silks!

Me now:

need-help.gif

Me, as I'd like to be:

lady-parkour-o.gif

I want to be an awesome mom.  I don't just want to "keep up" with my kids, I want to inspire them.

I completely identify with this. Inspiring them sounds so much better than just keeping up.

After two hours, I decided I could live with eggs and bacon and a green smoothie.  I feel good about that decision.

I love love love love green smoothies. They are a big part of my go to breakfast. Or lunch if I spent a ton of time outside in the heat. 

I am so glad you loved your aerial class. Those classes always look really cool.

Heyla! Just stopping by to say hello and dang, what a great first week.  I just know you'll figure out an awesome, effective plan for keeping small cheats small, being that you're resourceful and all :)

I completely identify with this. Inspiring them sounds so much better than just keeping up.

I love love love love green smoothies. They are a big part of my go to breakfast. Or lunch if I spent a ton of time outside in the heat. 

I am so glad you loved your aerial class. Those classes always look really cool.

Hello there!  I'm just getting into the green smoothie thing, but they seem a decent way to get in my leafy greens other than the go-to salad.  I need to eat more fruit, too, if for nothing other than to edge out less beneficial sweets in my diet.

Aerial dance was so fun.  I had tried aerial yoga before, but this was a lot more challenging (and therefore more rewarding).  My body hates me today, though.  Two days later and I am even more sore than ever.

Heyla! Just stopping by to say hello and dang, what a great first week.  I just know you'll figure out an awesome, effective plan for keeping small cheats small, being that you're resourceful and all  :)

Thank you for the vote of confidence.  The mind is willing but the...nope, the mind isn't even willing.  I'm having such a hard time lately even wanting to curb the eating thing.  I mean, I want to when I put on the clothes that were cute last summer and are NOT this summer, but I don't when I think about the cake in the fridge right now....

Yesterday was active recovery, which means I took the kids to the beach.  Honestly, I could almost count it as my sprints workout, because my 3-year-old had a pretty consistent routine of: wade into the water until a wave splashes him in the face and he gets a mouthful of seawater, dash up to our stash of gear for a drink to rinse the taste out, run back into the water, immediately get splashed in the face again, wave, (run), rinse, repeat.  And because he is so little, I have to be right on top of him all the time, so I was basically doing beach sprints from the towels to the water line and back.  Not to mention deadlifting him out of the water whenever he got rolled.  He is so fearless.

When I got up this morning, AAAAH!  The humanity!  I am horrifyingly sore from Tuesdays class.  I did the Assassin mini-challenge stuff this morning (shoulder and wrist strength exercises and prep-work for handstands for those from other guilds) with much suffering.  I'm going to try to muscle my way through an MOD today, but we'll see how it goes.  I'm already cancelling the skill work, which was power traverse (basically crossing the monkey bars without letting your body swing for momentum), partly because I'm too sore and partly because I don't have any monkey bars.  I will substitute the skill forward roll, because that's cool and takes less arms.  I'll leave the side swings and hanging foot lifts and at least attempt them...we'll see what happens.  So, the proposed MOD for today:

Warm-up (3 rounds)

Hand Carry - 30ft - 30lbs

Side Swing Hand Hold - 6x

Rocking - 6x

Skill

Power Traverse - 10ft - 4 rounds

Forward Roll - 15x left and right sides

Combo (4 rounds)

Hanging Front Foot Lift - 2x

Balancing Tripod Transition - 2x left

Run 200m

Hanging Front Foot Lift - 2x

Balancing Tripod Transition - 2x right

Walking Split Squat 20m 5m

Not going to attempt the Tripod Transitions balancing, because I've never trained them on the floor, so I'll just do regular ones.  Especially excited to try the Hanging Front Foot Lifts, since they are closely related to the Hard Move I couldn't do on Tuesday.

The only real difference being in class, you would actually complete the motion all the way over the "bar" you made from the silks.

• Like 1

Um, so that workout didn't so much happen.  I pretty much got through the warm-up, subbing 40 lbs for 30, since I that was the weights I had available, did 3,5,4 swings instead of 3 sets of 6, could not lift my hands like I was supposed to and the rocking thing was fine.  Made several attempts at forward rolls, mostly like sideways flops, but had to stop when I hurt my neck.  I wanted to do the other stuff, but my kids were being obnoxious so we had to go inside.  It's pretty hard to run 200 meters inside.  Just one of those days.  I think I need more recovery time anyway.  I'd like to try this workout again on Monday.

Edit:  Decided I was being too whiney and did all four rounds of the combo, minus the run.  I ran enough yesterday any way.  Good decision.  I feel better about myself for not quitting.  Now I need to go soak my poor abused muscles.

• Like 3