WheelBurner's (Gil's) Path to Fitness

Hello! I'm Gil and this will be my first challenge. I had heard about the site before and briefly checked out some of the articles. I decided recently to come and check out the forums. I found the challenge section and decided it wasn't too late to join so here I am! I'm looking to get myself into better shape on a consistent basis and change my way of life. Through most of highschool I was a pretty big kid, nearing the 300lb range and once I went off to college I managed to get myself under 200. Since then it's been ups and downs when trying to get into shape but I've decided I wanted something where I could hold myself more accountable. What better place for that then here?

Physical Bio Stats

Height: 6'
Weight: (not 100% sure, last time I was weighed it was 190lb but that was a couple of months ago)

Main Quest

I want to be active and fit again. This time I don't want to worry about weight as much as I have in the past. My goal is going to be to active again by working out consistently, biking, and skating on at least 5 days out of the week.

Missions:

Workout 5 days out of the week with the weekends as rest as follows:
Mon, Wed, Fri - Pushups and dumbbell exercises
Tue, Thu - Crunches, Mountain climbers, skater jumps, shadow boxing

Bike to and from work ever day -  I had started biking to work off and on a couple of weeks ago as it's currently only 4 miles away. We just found out last week that we will be switching to a new location by the end of this week. It's 10 miles there and 10 miles back from the new building so that would be 20 miles a day for a 100 miles a week. It will be difficult but I want to take it as a challenge to overcome.

Skate at least 3 times a week - I used to inline skate when I was younger and really enjoyed it despite a few accidents. I really want to do it consistently instead of once every couple of months

Motivation:

I want to be healthy and able to go out on a hike, swim, long bike ride, evening run, do a weekend skate session, etc whenever the opportunity comes up. The last couple of times I have tried getting into shape I focused on weight loss and I realize that was probably not the best idea. This time I really don't plan to track my weight a lot (if at all). I want to feel comfortable with my body and it's ability to perform when I need it to.

This won't be easy but I feel with some changes to my habbits I can make this happen.

• Like 1

Level 2 - Human Ranger  - Stats: STR 2, DEX 3, STA 3, CON 3, WIS 1, CHA 1

Current Challenge:

Past Challenges:

First Challenge, Second Challenge

Thanks!

Update from last night's workout - still have to do today's when I get home from work.

Last night’s workout – success

After little warm up I began my routine:

25x pushups (struggled a lot after 20, form suffered horribly for the last 5)

10x biceps curl /2 25lb weights

15x pushups

10x lateral raise /2 25lb weights

11x pushups

10x bent over rear deltoid raise /2 25lb weights

11x pushups

10x hammer curl /2 25lb weights

11x pushups

10x upright row /1 25 lb weight

11x pushups

11x pushups

10x two arms triceps extension /1 25lb weight

11x pushups

10 x wide row /2 25lb weights

11x pushups (last one being a 30 second plank)

50x alternating arm incline push /2 25lb weights

15x biceps curl to shoulder press /2 25lb weights

20x shoulder press /2 25lb weights

20x two arms triceps extension /1 25lb weight

20x one arm triceps extension

Took about 30 min. I’m using music so I can keep pace to the changes in songs. Feeling really sore right now but incredibly amped.

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Past Challenges:

Yesterday’s workout log:

After a warm up I turned on music and went with my workout

1 minute of mountain climbers

10x prisoner squats

10x bodyweight squats

10x prisoner squats

20x reverse crunch

20x bicycle crunch

1 minute of skater jumps

20x banana crunch

20x reverse crunch

1 minute of skater jumps

20x alternating lunges

I finished that up with about 20 minutes of shadow boxing taking 30 second breaks every few minutes as needed to catch my breath.

After Monday’s workout and last night’s, I am sore all over and starting to look forward to the weekend rest haha. I’ve been consistently biking to and from work and last night around 8 pm I went out for an hour long skate to practice my powerslides and T stops. I’m hoping to keep the momentum going today when I get home because if I lay down I’m not sure I’ll be able to get back up.

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Past Challenges:

One day left to go before the weekend rest! I’m really looking forward to it. Today was the first day biking to our new building at work so that was 10 miles instead of 4. It wasn’t that bad, I really only started to feel a little tired within the last half a mile but even then I think I could have gone a couple more miles without a problem. Hopefully the way home will be similar. Here are my logs for the last two days:

Wed

25x pushups (paused briefly in the up position at 18 for a bit to catch my breath before finishing the last 7. I had been feeling exhausted before I even started so I figured it would be a rough session)

15x pushups

11x pushups

11x pushups

11x pushups

11x pushups

11x pushups

11x pushups

50x alternating arm incline push /2 25lb weights (two sets of 25 taking a small breather in between)

18x biceps curl to shoulder press /2 25lb weights (had to stop at 12, after the 10th one my arms were shaking and after the 12th one I knew I had to set the weights down because my form was gone. Took a breather of about 30 seconds and then did another 5)

50x alternating arm incline push /2 25lb weights (again done in two sets of 25 with about a 30 second break in between)

Thu

After a warm up I turned on music and went with my workout

10x prisoner squats

10x bodyweight squats

10x prisoner squats

20x reverse crunch

20x bicycle crunch

1 minute of skater jumps

20x banana crunch

20x reverse crunch

1 minute of skater jumps

20x alternating lunges

Finished my exercise for the day by strapping on my skates and hitting the roads for about 45 minutes

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Past Challenges:

Just finished my third skate for the week a little while ago. Friday was a rough day. The bike ride back was a little more brutal than I expected it due to the heat. I was already exhausted when I started my workout for the day so I did shorten my last set.

25x pushups (some how managed to actually get through all 25 of these. I was surprised but no complaints)

15x pushups

10x pushups

10x pushups

10x pushups

10x pushups

10x pushups

10x pushups

10 x wide row /2 25lb weight

10x pushups

30x alternating arm incline push /2 25lb weights

10x biceps curl to shoulder press /2 25lb weights

30x alternating arm incline push /2 25lb weights

15x shoulder press /2 25lb weights

15x two arms triceps extension /1 25lb weight

15x one arm triceps extension

Enjoyed the rest yesterday and the skate today was pretty easy of a workout compared to everything else. Hoping next week. I can finish all my sets as planned.

Current Challenge:

Past Challenges:

This has been a crazy week. I started taking on reporting duties at work so I have spent long days learning the various formulas to compile the necessary reports for my directors which in and of itself left me pooped every day. On top of that I also had my finals for my math classes and so I was busy most of the week. I did not however let that get in my way for working out (very much).

I continued to bike to and from work so as of last night that was 100 miles alone just getting myself there and back every day for the week. I was able to do the same workouts as last week's mon-thu without too much extra effort though I did lay on the floor for several minutes after finishing each one. I find myself getting a lot hungrier, especially in the morning, so I plan to add in more food to my day but I need to do some research as I don't want to counter my exercise by overeating.

On Friday I crashed onto my bed when I got home so I did not get my workout in which is a little disappointing but it happens. I caught up on much needed sleep and plan to go workout to make up for it today which would normally be a day of rest.

Current Challenge:

Past Challenges:

Update for the week so far-

Monday

25x pushups

15x pushups

11x pushups

11x pushups

11x pushups

11x pushups

11x pushups

11x pushups

Tuesday

20x reverse crunch

30x bicycle crunch

1 minute of skater jumps

15x banana crunch

30x bicycle crunch

1 minute of skater jumps

20x alternating lunges

10x prisoner squats

10x bodyweight squats

10x prisoner squats

1 minute of jump rope

20x alternating lunges

1 minute of jump rope

30x bicycle crunch

1 minute of jump rope

20x bodyweight squats

The 10 mile bike rides in the morning are much easier now, however the 10 miles back around 3:30pm are still rough mostly due to the heat. I've added some more carbs to my diet to have a little more fuel by the time I get home for those workouts. Also did some research on a few paleo meals that I am going to try this weekend after buying groceries.

Current Challenge:

Past Challenges:

Had much needed three day weekend and finally a few days of rest. I did not workout on Friday as intended but I did manage to moderate my food intake over the course of the weekend and did not eat nearly as much as I expected to during the 4th. Came back full force yesterday with a good long workout. I also started having protein shakes after working out as of yesterday. Here's what I did yesterday.

Monday

25x pushups
15x pushups
11x pushups

10x bent over rear deltoids raise /2 25lb weights
11x pushups
11x pushups
11x pushups

11x pushups
11x pushups

10x pushups
25x two arms triceps extension /1 25lb weight
25x one arm triceps extension

Current Challenge:

Past Challenges:

Finished up my exercises for the week on the Friday. I've noticed that at the end of the week it's much harder to workout. I lack energy and my form breaks a lot easier. I'm going to have to have to sleep easier. I'm fairly certain that's the culprit. Throughout the week I get anywhere from 5.5 to 6.5 hours of sleep. I've adjusted to my new work schedule of waking up at 4 am but I still struggle to get into bed before 9 pm. I have on the other hand gotten really used to the 20 mile a day bike ride and unless there are strong winds I don't feel it much into the last mile as I'm pulling into my complex. My additional goal for this week will be to go to bed by 9am so I can have more energy especially near the end of the week. I also need to find a place to do pullups. I did a few at the park the other day and found it surprising how difficult it was after 5.

Current Challenge:

Past Challenges:

Thought I was going to get caught in the rain on my way home while biking so I stepped it up and knocked out the last 5 miles as fast as I could manage. That led me right into my workout after a quick light snack and a change of clothes. I was pretty beat afterwards and ended up in ended by 9pm.

Monday:

25x pushups (struggled a lot after 20, form suffered horribly for the last 5)

15x pushups

10x pushups

10x pushups

10x pushups

10x pushups

10x pushups

10x pushups

10x pushups

40x alternating arm incline push /2 25lb weights

Current Challenge:

Past Challenges:

I've been going to sleep a little earlier and I can definitelly tell the difference in energy during workouts on days where I get even an extra 30 min to an hour of sleep.

Tue:

20x reverse crunch

20x bicycle crunch

1 minute plank

20x banana crunch

20x reverse crunch

1 minute plank

20x alternating lunges

Spent the rest of the session trying to do a pistol squat. I can't get very far down without holding on to something for support and even then it was pretty difficult when nearing the bottom. I currently don't have the flexibility to do fully do them but I'm working on it.

Wed:

25x pushups

15x pushups

11x pushups

11x pushups

11x pushups

11x pushups

11x pushups

11x pushups

Current Challenge:

Past Challenges:

Thanks! Time has been flying by and I'm just glad I'm keeping up relatively well with my workout schedule.

I spent most of my workout yesterday working on pistol squats. I did my normal usual crunches, planks, and added a few minutes of jump rope at the beginning. After that I went right back into pistol squat practice. The balance is getting better on both feet and I can get a little furher down on my left foot than I can with the right so I guess that side has some catching up to do. My legs below the knee and down the ankle are really sore now. It made that 10 mile morning bike ride a lot more difficult than usual. Hopefully the second ride later will be a little better.

Current Challenge:

Past Challenges:

After getting the 10 miles back home yesterday I had a nice relaxing day of rest. Today morning I decided to give myself a little pushup challenge. I was able to knock out 31 before my arms started shaking and my midsection started sinking so I didn't count the few others after that until I had to stop. I took a quick 30 second break and then hopped right back down and did another 15 with solid form. From there I was to maintain myself around 10-12 before needing to stop for a few seconds. I did that up until the 100th one then I picked up the two 25lb dumbbells and got to work. I did a cycle of 10 reps of every exercise I could think of. In between each one I dropped down and knocked out another 10 pushups. There were a couple times where I only did 5 in between from being winded but it was still pretty fun. Not really sure how many pushups I ended doing in total that way but I'm certainly feeling some soreness right now. I finished by doing some burpees with two 15lb weights and was only able to get through about 14 before I was panting and laying on the floor. It was a great change from my normal routine of exercise with dumbbells and pushups so I think I might make that an every saturday thing.

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Past Challenges:

End Summary:

Main Quest: To become active again by working out consistently, biking, and skating on at least 5 days out of the week.

Grade = A - At first I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make time for it but as I went through the days and then weeks I found it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I had to make compromises and several times I had to choose between the exercise doing something else I also wanted to do but every time I chose to do my workout, it made it easier to make the same decision the next time.

1st goal: Workout 5 days out of the week

Grade: A - I'm pretty happy with this one because there were definitively days where I was spent and not sure where I was going to get the energy to workout and felt like just laying on the floor for a nap. I read the article about putting your hard hat on and it's been pretty helpful. I'm using a pair of weight-lifting gloves as my trigger. Once those are strapped on, that workout is happening whether I feel like it or not. It goes to say that it didn't matter how I felt prior to a workout, afterwards I was always more energetic and glad that I did it.

2nd goal: Bike to and from work every day

Grade: A - This one was daunting because I knew that we were making the switch to a building over twice as far from my place as the last one. At first it was pretty brutal, especially on the way back home with the 100+ degree weather. The daily 20 miles left me really sore for the first two weeks of my challenge but it's amazing because now I don't even think about it. I just get on and go. At first, I had to rest for a while before switching to my workout when getting home but now after a quick change of clothes and pre-workout snack I can get right to it.

3rd goal: skate at least three times a week

Grade: B - Started this one off great for the first few weeks of the challenge. Near the end, I was only doing about 1 to 2 days in the last two weeks though as I was more limited on time and some days I had to choose between working out or going skating which was a tough decision to make.

I learned a lot about where I can make time to ensure I get my exercise in and I can't wait to get going on the next challenge. Now that I have a little more time to get ready for it I'm going to draft up something using this experience as a rough draft.

I started a week late into the challenge so that puts me at level 1. After considering my personal attributes given 10 point stats this is what I believe them to be.

Str - 2
Dex - 2
Sta - 2
Con - 2
Wis - 1
Cha - 1

Now I also have to pick a class and guild. Luckily I have some time before the next challenge to figure that out.

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

Past Challenges:

I'm just getting around to the newbies during this week off...and you have rocked this challenge!

I LOVE reading your workouts!

I am an Adventurer - but I love walking(can't run yet), biking, and swimming - haven't skated in years - 

I have scout and ranger bents, but I have weight to lose, so I'm staying with Adventurers, and visiting the scouts.

- if you aren't sure which one you are...you can just slide on over to the Adventurers...take another challenge to check it out...

In case you don't have the link: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/33333-real-life-role-playing-creating-your-character/

I'm not sure that anyone really fills out some sort of  form to determine their race...have fun with it!

And, here's a link to the Adventurers' Library...just so you have it to set up your next challenge.

Whether you are Adventurer, Scout or Ranger, or even Assassin....I'd like to follow your next challenge!

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines